Thread: Arizona?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arizona?

Gents, there is a chance I could be moving out to the desert in the next 8-12 months. Somewhere in the Phoenix area is most likely, although Tucson is also a possibility. I have never visited the state but the fact that these areas don't see a whole lot of snow interests me greatly. Anyone live out there and can tell me a little bit about how it is to live in the area? How many times will I **** my pants when a snake is lurking under my car?

Default Re: Arizona?

Lots of homeless. LOTS. Not saying that as a good or bad thing, but I believe Phoenix has the largest homeless population of pretyt much anywhere in the US. The weather obviously plays a big role in this.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm headed out in a bit over a week for the 2nd time in 2 years. I LOVE Arizona and would be there in a heartbeat if not for the bosslady. I hear it is 92 there this week. You can go up to Flagstaff during the winter to see snow (and wear your shirtsleeves doing it, it's a dry (not wet) cold).

We went out at new years about 20 years ago. Jan 1 and 65 degrees but our relatives apologized for the cold weather and turned the heat up in the car. We nearly died from heat stroke.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

As for homelessness in Phoenix, I know it can't be as chronic as it is in San Francisco or Los Angeles, which are generally cited as having the largest homeless populations in the US.

In any event I wouldn't let it deter you. Don't want to make this a debate about the homelessness but really, most of them don't bother you. I see homeless people every day. Have even made friends with a few of them in my neighborhood. Most of them are fine. Most of them are harmless. Some ask you for money but they're easy to ignore. This whole eliminating panhandlers in Indianapolis is one of the silliest things I've ever seen. It's like trying to ban farting in public. I'm not accusing TJ of insinuating anything, just giving you my own idea of the homeless if there are indeed a lot in Phoenix.

I feel you on the snakes and stuff though. I've never been to Phoenix but have been to some desert areas in foreign countries, stuff gives me the creeps. But still, with all the post-industrial hell holes our politicians forgot about 30 years ago that you've lived in, I'd give it a go!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Yeah bums don't really deter me very much. Very easy to ignore. The weather really intrigues me, as I am tired of 4 month winter depressions. I don't sweat very much and am a fairly slender person so I would much rather deal with heat than cold. I'd like to go visit at some point in the next few months to check things out. Not sure what the cost of living is like out there.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah bums don't really deter me very much. Very easy to ignore. The weather really intrigues me, as I am tired of 4 month winter depressions. I don't sweat very much and am a fairly slender person so I would much rather deal with heat than cold. I'd like to go visit at some point in the next few months to check things out. Not sure what the cost of living is like out there.
    I have relatives out there who brag how cheap it is. One good way unscientific way to tell is to go on Craigslist and look at how much apartment are going for. In the DC area where I live a 2 bedroom apartment in a neighborhood where you don't have to wear body armor outdoors is at least $2,000 before utilities. In Chicago I think it is $1,200-$1,5000. Indy, I couldn't tell ya.

yeah AZ is ridiculously cheap. And while it gets pretty damn hot, it is a dry heat, which i will take every day over humidity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Yeah, like I said, I despise the cold so the heat really doesn't bother me. I have lived in Houston and that was wet, sticky heat and still found it greatly preferable to Rust Belt weather. I was given the opportunity to move to the Deep South (covering Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee). Uhh, pass

I hear it gets pretty hot out there, but it is a dry heat.

Not trying to insinuate anything about the homeless, the weather is great so it makes sense they are there. I don't blame 'em

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Not trying to insinuate anything about the homeless, the weather is great so it makes sense they are there. I don't blame 'em
    I applaud them. I am always bewildered by the homeless up here. Winters must be ****ing miserable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I was born in South Bend, but I've lived in the Phoenix area for about 17 years. I absolutely love it here and I've done everything I could to stay here despite better job opportunities for my career-field elsewhere.

My favorite thing about AZ is the wilderness. There is SO much open land to explore. If you like camping, fishing, off-roading, that sort of stuff, this is one of the best places to live imo. The desert is really beautiful, in a harsh, rugged sort of way. But there's plenty of forest in northern AZ as well. Its all really accessible, an hour drive from the middle of Phoenix can get you pretty deep into the wilderness.

Spring is an amazing time to be in Phoenix. So much going on during Spring: the Phoenix Open (golf), MLB spring training, the Barrett Jackson car show, music festivals, beer festivals. There is just tons of stuff going on outdoors to take advantage of the great weather during Spring.

Summer is definitely hot here, a lot of people stay mostly inside in the middle of the summer. Me personally, the summer heat doesn't bother me. I cope by spending a lot of time at pools or the lakes (which we actually have several of within close driving distance). It is definitely a dry heat, I was in in Indy last May for the Pacers-Heat playoffs and I could not stand the humidity there.

Fall is about as much fun as Spring and Winter is obviously pretty mild. Though we did get into the 30's (lows) a few times this winter.

Tempe and Scottdale are the traditional hot-spots for nightlife. Downtown Phoenix is experiencing a sort of renaissance right now. It used to be absolutely dead on a weekend. Now there is a lot more going on, the music and arts scene is definitely growing and there are some great new music venues, bars, and clubs downtown. I think its kinda the same as whats going on in Indy right now, just a little more spread out.

I'm not sure what your age is so some of this stuff may not appeal to you. I'm in my late twenties and I think this is a great place to live at my age. But there is stuff for people of all ages, lots of family stuff too. There's certainly plenty of retirees here.

There is a reasonable amount of homeless people, but I would say its no worse than other major cities in the Western US. I've been to Seattle, LA, Vegas, they are all about the same (well LA is definitely worse). I honestly don't think its noticeably worse than Indy but the numbers may prove me wrong.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I know the area pretty well.
    Last edited by Mr.ThunderMakeR; 03-14-2013 at 06:58 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    And while it gets pretty damn hot, it is a dry heat..............
    Enough of the 'DRY HEAT' stuff.

I was in Vegas once when it was 112. Dry, moist, wet, blue, purple ....... 112 is 112. 112 is freakin' hot. Really freakin' hot.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Enough of the 'DRY HEAT' stuff.

I was in Vegas once when it was 112. Dry, moist, wet, blue, purple ....... 112 is 112. 112 is freakin' hot. Really freakin' hot.
    I said it gets pretty damn hot, but there is a huge difference. Rather then breathing water, the sun just is stronger it seems.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I was born in South Bend, but I've lived in the Phoenix area for about 17 years. I absolutely love it here and I've done everything I could to stay here despite better job opportunities for my career-field elsewhere.

My favorite thing about AZ is the wilderness. There is SO much open land to explore. If you like camping, fishing, off-roading, that sort of stuff, this is one of the best places to live imo. The desert is really beautiful, in a harsh, rugged sort of way. But there's plenty of forest in northern AZ as well. Its all really accessible, an hour drive from the middle of Phoenix can get you pretty deep into the wilderness.

Spring is an amazing time to be in Phoenix. So much going on during Spring: the Phoenix Open (golf), MLB spring training, the Barrett Jackson car show, music festivals, beer festivals. There is just tons of stuff going on outdoors to take advantage of the great weather during Spring.

Summer is definitely hot here, a lot of people stay mostly inside in the middle of the summer. Me personally, the summer heat doesn't bother me. I cope by spending a lot of time at pools or the lakes (which we actually have several of within close driving distance). It is definitely a dry heat, I was in in Indy last May for the Pacers-Heat playoffs and I could not stand the humidity there.

Fall is about as much fun as Spring and Winter is obviously pretty mild. Though we did get into the 30's (lows) a few times this winter.

Tempe and Scottdale are the traditional hot-spots for nightlife. Downtown Phoenix is experiencing a sort of renaissance right now. It used to be absolutely dead on a weekend. Now there is a lot more going on, the music and arts scene is definitely growing and there are some great new music venues, bars, and clubs downtown. I think its kinda the same as whats going on in Indy right now, just a little more spread out.

I'm not sure what your age is so some of this stuff may not appeal to you. I'm in my late twenties and I think this is a great place to live at my age. But there is stuff for people of all ages, lots of family stuff too. There's certainly plenty of retirees here.

There is a reasonable amount of homeless people, but I would say its no worse than other major cities in the Western US. I've been to Seattle, LA, Vegas, they are all about the same (well LA is definitely worse). I honestly don't think its noticeably worse than Indy but the numbers may prove me wrong.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I know the area pretty well.
    I'm there. I absolutely love the desert and for an open-fields and forestland guy like me, that's kinda weird. But it's beautiful and oh so open. I love driving north from Tuba City and seeing the lava flows and the towering "monuments". I loved the Petrified Forest area until they commercialized it (meaning they turned it into a National Park with Ranger stations and a Giant Gift shop.) It's home in my heart.

Oh and sticking your arm in an oven is dry heat too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

One other thing I forgot to mention, the Suns suck, and probably will continue to suck as long as Sarver is the owner. This is good for displaced NBA fans as tix for most of their games are pretty cheap.

I am visiting in early May after a bachelor party in Vegas. A quick Google search says the drive (if I were to choose to road trip it) is 5-6 hours. Anyone know if that's legit? Would it be a decent road trip for someone who hasn't spent a lick of time in the desert? I will be there for about 5 days after that to (hopefully) interview and (at the very least) meet some alumni and do some informational interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I am visiting in early May after a bachelor party in Vegas. A quick Google search says the drive (if I were to choose to road trip it) is 5-6 hours.
    I've made the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Absolutely beautiful. Two completely different areas.

Enjoy.

Mood

A week from today we fly into Phoenix for a visit with my aunt and uncle and then on to San Diego to see my cousin and her husband. Never been to SD, this should be fun.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I live just outside of Tucson in Marana, and its a decent town (though I don't really know anywhere else). The dry heat from May-Early July is pretty rough, but what can be even worse to people is the daily chances of monsoon weather from July to September, if you get hit in the right spot it's kind of a tropical storm/hurricane like event. It's the one thing I really don't like. Houses are pretty cheap and all that.

It did snow here whatever it was, the first day of the Match Play Golf Tourney in Marana this year, though that's the first time in many a year.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I am flying out there and staying the first week of May. Anyone got any recommendations of things to do while I am out there.

Mood

I just got home. After spending my Phoenix time in Sun City with relatives I'm not the best source. I can say that this time I was really disappointed to see how much Phx is growing. I used to be able to see the mountains in every direction. Now, not so much.....and a lot of haze everywhere.
    Part of the vacation was spent in San Diego so that may have soured me on Phx. I Love the ocean and the great dining associated with it.