View Poll Results: Is Lance Stephenson the answer at SG?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    58 54.21%
  • NO

    49 45.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 77

Thread: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

  1. #51
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I voted wrong. I thought the poll question was is Lance over rated, and I clicked no. I don't know if he's the answer at shooting guard. Hell I don't even know what the question is. But he makes this team better, no doubt about it. Based solely on the Roger Eye Test (Not Scientifically Approved), this team is at it's best not when Hibbert or West or PG is at their best, but when Lance is. It's more about energy than anything else, but he single-handedly can seem to increase the energy of the entire team.
    Danger Zone

  2. #52
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,267

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted wrong. I thought the poll question was is Lance over rated, and I clicked no. I don't know if he's the answer at shooting guard. Hell I don't even know what the question is. But he makes this team better, no doubt about it. Based solely on the Roger Eye Test (Not Scientifically Approved), this team is at it's best not when Hibbert or West or PG is at their best, but when Lance is. It's more about energy than anything else, but he single-handedly can seem to increase the energy of the entire team.
    Isn't that the definition of an ideal 6th man?!

    Idk if we know what Lance will become, as this is his first year of getting consistent playing time. I think that for PG to be able to fully reach his potential, he needs a higher scoring SG to play alongside him, which will ease his need to be the #1 option offensively from the perimeter. Lance has days where he seems he may be able to be that player one day, and he has his days where he seems destined to be a complete game changer off the bench. Time will tell more than anything

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Lance is better suited to come off the bench, but moving him opens up the starting 2 which is a bigger hole to fill, IMHO.

    If OJ can keep progressing and get to a 7pt 3reb type of player, it's pretty much a negligible swap as far as pure numbers go, but I don't think that would really be starting caliber for the heights the Pacers want to reach.

  5. #54
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does everyone seem to think he is a worthy starter? I'm one of his biggest fans but the guy is only averaging 8 points a game in almost 30 minutes a game. He is an over-rated distributer as well because he only averages about 3 assists per game and only having a 2-1 turnover ratio which is good but also not warranting of a starting position. Someone posted that him and OJ might be our future at shooting guard and I highly disagree. With the low scoring team we have we need a dynamite scorer at shooting guard.
    Your not one of his biggest fans. You must also be new, if you don't know Lance's history here. Also, you must not watch the games much, given you rely only on stats. You think capable starter is overrated? That's just silly.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Member GeniusJMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    83
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your not one of his biggest fans. You must also be new, if you don't know Lance's history here. Also, you must not watch the games much, given you rely only on stats. You think capable starter is overrated? That's just silly.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Stats don't lie and yes I am one of his biggest fans. You don't have to think a player is God in the flesh like some of you think Lance is to be a big fan of his.

  8. #56
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I don't think Lance is a top 10 SG or anything... but I like where he fits on this starting unit. He brings something to the table that no one else does --- the ability to stir the drink, take the ball and drive it and make something happen, whether in the half-court, or in transition. His defense is acceptable, perhaps even on the plus-side.

    He might go somewhere else and not be able to be the focal point, but for what we need on this team, and where he's at in his development (which is leapyears ahead of a few years ag), I actually like having him in the SL over Granger. I like that line-up better than last year's. It's a well-balanced unit.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  10. #57
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes I am one of his biggest fans. You don't have to think a player is God in the flesh like some of you think Lance is to be a big fan of his.
    You may be a fan, but you are not one of his biggest fans. By your own admission, some people think he is God in the flesh, and God could be a worthy starter without high stats.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  12. #58
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    469
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stats don't lie.....
    I agree, stats don't lie; but, they don't tell the whole story either.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:


  14. #59
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,338

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Stats don't lie, but this poll does.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  16. #60
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    When the offense is clicking Lance gets a **** ton of "hockey assists" he is not always the guy making the final pass, but he often makes the pass that leads to the final pass. This happens a lot in his Forrest Gump Fastbreaks.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  18. #61

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I like Lance as the starter at SG, very solid on defense and knows his role on offense. People underrate that. He knows it is not his role to try to take over too many possessions. I would take Lance Stephenson over Thabo Sefolosha (OKC's starting Shooting Guard).

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:


  20. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody's as funny as you think you are.

    I don't think I am as funny as you that's for sure, I mean what is a better joke than to think that Mcsuck is going to be the next Lamar Odom and that Mcsuck would at least get MLE? those are hands down two of the best jokes in PD, hilarious .........

  21. #63
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stats don't lie and yes I am one of his biggest fans. You don't have to think a player is God in the flesh like some of you think Lance is to be a big fan of his.
    Just remember, Miami thought he was important enough to have their best player guard him. Do you think they game plan and focus on slowing down someone who isn't even a respectable starter(or God as you seem to equate). Fans have to like something, its a prerequisite even to be a little one.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  23. #64
    Member GeniusJMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    83
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Just because I don't think he deserves to be a starter does not mean I'm not a fan of his. I'm a big fan of Ian Mahinmi but he is just a very good backup in my eyes.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to GeniusJMG For This Useful Post:


  25. #65
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because I don't think he deserves to be a starter does not mean I'm not a fan of his. I'm a big fan of Ian Mahinmi but he is just a very good backup in my eyes.
    I am a huge fan of your 83 post tenure on Pacers Digest.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 03-14-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  27. #66
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does everyone seem to think he is a worthy starter? I'm one of his biggest fans but the guy is only averaging 8 points a game in almost 30 minutes a game. He is an over-rated distributer as well because he only averages about 3 assists per game and only having a 2-1 turnover ratio which is good but also not warranting of a starting position. Someone posted that him and OJ might be our future at shooting guard and I highly disagree. With the low scoring team we have we need a dynamite scorer at shooting guard.
    Our offense has really come around, we aren't that low scoring as a team any longer. It took a while to adjust to Granger being out, but this team has arguably been better offensively than last years top 10 offense over the last month+. We averaged 102 ppg on 46% from the field in February and 98 ppg on 45% so far in March. Lance is a big part of it.
    Last edited by daschysta; 03-14-2013 at 04:35 PM.

  28. #67
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a huge fan of your 83 post tenure on Pacers Digest.
    Its not how big your post count is but what you do with it.

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:


  30. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I am as funny as you that's for sure, I mean what is a better joke than to think that Mcsuck is going to be the next Lamar Odom and that Mcsuck would at least get MLE? those are hands down two of the best jokes in PD, hilarious .........
    Now you are putting words in his mouth. He never said he would be Lamar Odom. He said if McRoberts hits his absolute ceiling he could be a Lamar Odom level player.


    Lamar Odom isn't all that great anyway he has never done much outside of the triangle offense which he is a perfect fit for. McRoberts is the same way he needs a good system to be effective. The way you hyperhole it would seem he thinks McRoberts is better than Jordan.


    BTW Mcroberts did get the MMLE so I don't know why you brought that up. It makes you look silly when you say that he didn't get something he actually did get

  31. #69
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not how big your post count is but what you do with it.
    You must have a small post count:-)

  32. #70
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stats don't lie and yes I am one of his biggest fans. You don't have to think a player is God in the flesh like some of you think Lance is to be a big fan of his.
    I think you've mistaken our excitement over his growth this season for us thinking he is God. And I hate to break it to you, but stats do lie at times.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  34. #71
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I hate to break it to you, but stats do lie at times.


    INTERPRETATIONS may lie. Stats are just numbers and say nothing other than "here are the observed numbers". For example, you can say, as many did, that Troy Murphy's rebounds were all gimmes that he stole from his teammates so the value of the stat isn't as high as some would rank it, but it doesn't change the fact that he got those rebounds.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  36. #72
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    INTERPRETATIONS may lie. Stats are just numbers and say nothing other than "here are the observed numbers". For example, you can say, as many did, that Troy Murphy's rebounds were all gimmes that he stole from his teammates so the value of the stat isn't as high as some would rank it, but it doesn't change the fact that he got those rebounds.
    I think me and you have the same opinion on it, we're just broadcasting it differently.

  37. #73

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Considering his PER is about the same as that of DJ Augustin, I would say there is a big chance he is a bit overrated.

    Combination of low expectations and his skillset being a much better fit for the starting lineup than Granger's.

    Not to mention he gets the least defensive attention of all starters. His FG% take a dive with Hibbert on the bench (42%), with West on the bench(37%) and with Hill on the bench(38%). Only with George on the bench he stays about the same. (46%)

    Also noteworthy that our big hope for the future Paul George does much worse with Lance on the bench. (33%)

    Edit: Since PER is such a dubious stat, I think I need to add these:

    Augustin TS%: 0.527 = Stephenson: 0.527
    ORtg: 110 > 105
    WS/48: 0.124 > 0.114
    AST/TO: 2.78 > 2.01
    3PT%: 0.357 > 0.342

    Stephenson is a better defender, rebounder and he is younger, but Augustin has the disadvantage of being a bad fit with our size/static offense.
    Last edited by MvPlumlee; 03-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.

  38. #74

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I was fooled by this thread...I voted NO to the thread title instead of voting YES for the poll question...Anyway, I think Lance is the answer at SG and just needs more of a chance to push the tempo instead always deferring to the point guard...

  39. #75
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I can't stand when ANYONE is compared to God, its blasphemous in my humble opinoin

    No onje here is infatuated with Lance, and I am one of his biggest , if not the biggest supporter,

    What we are most proud of is Lance Stephenson grew up , took responsibility , and beat the odds that a lot of us (and secretly myself as well) thought he wouldnt

    He is not Stephen Jackson/Jammal Tinsley

    He is a young kid who had his ego crushed when he realized unlinke high school , he would not come into the NBA and dominate on shear athleticism and fancy passes

    Im proud of the strides he has made and the continuing strides I think he will make

    He is a good player, on our Pacer team and I cheer for him
    Sittin on top of the world!

Similar Threads

  1. NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
  2. Lance Stephenson Arrested... Again
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM
  3. Is Lance Stephenson a PG?
    By BlueNGold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
  4. My Lance Stephenson thread..
    By O'Braindead in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
  5. The Lance Stephenson Show [PD]
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •