View Poll Results: Is Lance Stephenson the answer at SG?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    58 54.21%
  • NO

    49 45.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

  1. #1
    Member GeniusJMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    83
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Why does everyone seem to think he is a worthy starter? I'm one of his biggest fans but the guy is only averaging 8 points a game in almost 30 minutes a game. He is an over-rated distributer as well because he only averages about 3 assists per game and only having a 2-1 turnover ratio which is good but also not warranting of a starting position. Someone posted that him and OJ might be our future at shooting guard and I highly disagree. With the low scoring team we have we need a dynamite scorer at shooting guard.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    ive been down on the kid almost his entire career. When danny went down. it really opened up some opprotunity for lance. he has (in my eyes) became a vital piece of our starting lineup. Its not ALWAYS about pure talent. Sometimes its more about fit, and he FITS great in that starting spot. Plenty of teams adopt this best fit philosophy when it comes to starters. Like OKC, SA, Memphis, and so on.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    You are missing the forest and concentrating on the trees. You fail to see that this is Lance's first year in the rotation, and that he has surpassed many expectations way quicker than expected. You act like Lance is done developing and this is as good as he will ever be. You neglect the fact that he is 22 and getting real minutes in the NBA for the first time in his career. You say a 2-1 turnover assist ratio is good but not warranting of a starting position, when a 2-1 ratio makes you one of the top distributors in the game. I always looked at a 2-1 ratio for a distributor as a sign the guy is playing good and worthy of starting.

    Lance is the 5th option offensively, and you point to his 8 PPG as an indication he is over rated. Lance is top 5 in the NBA in shooting percentage for his position. I see many posters say that Lance can't hit those shots in crunch time at the same clip, when he barely ever gets a play called for him in crunch time. He also does not get to initiate the offense and distribute enough so his assists numbers are way lower than they should be.

    This thread is full of fail because you think that Lance has no shot at being a dynamic scorer, when all indications point to him being one someday soon, maybe even more so than Paul George. Compare shooting percentages and assist to turnover ratio for the two. Lance is surpassing PG by a mile, and PG has been in the rotation for over two years and has steadily improved his game. If Lance steadily improves his game like PG did when in the rotation, then he could easily surpass PG in offensive ability soon. And that makes him our future at shooting guard. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team will go as far as Lance and PG take them.

    Also this is the best defense from the shooting guard position I've seen played for us since Artest. PG has an argument, but he is a SF in my book, and great defensively, so he can cover many positions. That said, even though PG is the better defender, I think Lance is the better defender at the shooting guard position, while PG is his best guarding small forwards.

    So your thread fails because you ask the question is Lance overrated on these boards. Lance has been the most underrated player I have ever seen discussed on these boards since the day he was drafted. Most believe he would not even be in the NBA right now, let alone be a starter for a true contender. A majority of the board still believes he is a 6th man, and not a Ginobli type of 6th man that finishes games. But a true bench player. So my question is how do you draw the conclusion Lance is overrated on this board? Did you miss his first two years in the league?

  5. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ive been down on the kid almost his entire career. When danny went down. it really opened up some opprotunity for lance. he has (in my eyes) became a vital piece of our starting lineup. Its not ALWAYS about pure talent. Sometimes its more about fit, and he FITS great in that starting spot. Plenty of teams adopt this best fit philosophy when it comes to starters. Like OKC, SA, Memphis, and so on.
    So good for Lance that he has the talent and he fits with our team. I fully embrace Lance as the starting shooting guard for this team for the foreseeable future. I really believe he has a shot to become an All Star someday if he keeps improving like he has been his first two and a half years. If his trajectory continues as it has, he could be at the level within the next year or two.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:


  8. #5

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Got tricked by the title and turbo-voted no! As in Lance is not over-rated on these boards. I'd like to rescind my vote and make it a yes, Lance is the future at SG.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,716

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does everyone seem to think he is a worthy starter? I'm one of his biggest fans but the guy is only averaging 8 points a game in almost 30 minutes a game. He is an over-rated distributer as well because he only averages about 3 assists per game and only having a 2-1 turnover ratio which is good but also not warranting of a starting position. Someone posted that him and OJ might be our future at shooting guard and I highly disagree. With the low scoring team we have we need a dynamite scorer at shooting guard.

    Opinions vary !!

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  11. #7
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,583
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    This is a great example of stats not telling the story.

    PG - 18 points/15 shots
    West - 18 points/14 shots
    Hill - 15 points/12 shots
    Hibbert - 10 points/10 shots

    So, the other 4 starters are averaging 61 points and 51 shots.

    Lance is averaging 9 points/8 shots.

    So...what do you want him to do? Take more shots? He isn't the primary ball handler (Hill), primary/secondary/tertiary scoring option (George/West/Hibbert), and is one of the more efficient scorers when given the opportunity.

    If you expect him to score 10-12 ppg with the other guys getting all of those shots...you're in for a surprise.

    He's young/developing, and the reason he may seem "overrated" on this board is because his growth from 2011/12 to 2012/13 is ASTRONOMICAL. The guy was useless last season, and has been a key component this season. There is reason to be very, very optimistic.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got tricked by the title and turbo-voted no! As in Lance is not over-rated on these boards. I'd like to rescind my vote and make it a yes, Lance is the future at SG.
    That makes two of us. VOTER DISENFRANCHISEMENT!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,276

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does everyone seem to think he is a worthy starter? I'm one of his biggest fans but the guy is only averaging 8 points a game in almost 30 minutes a game. He is an over-rated distributer as well because he only averages about 3 assists per game and only having a 2-1 turnover ratio which is good but also not warranting of a starting position. Someone posted that him and OJ might be our future at shooting guard and I highly disagree. With the low scoring team we have we need a dynamite scorer at shooting guard.
    I think that the assist per game is somewhat misleading as he is often paired with PG, GH and DJ...all of which he ( either by choice of his own or by Vogel ) often defers ball handling duties to them....where he's often relegated to being the guy waiting for the ball to take a jumpshot.

    When the offense actually flows through him....I see him handling the ball and attack the basket. The defense often is either not sure what to do...or ( more than often ) collapses on him. At that point....Lance is IMHO is very good at finding the open Player and passing it out to them. The rule of thumb is that if you see Lance attacking the basket.....get ready for a "catch and shoot" involving a pass from Lance...cuz he will find you for a pass.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    892

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got tricked by the title and turbo-voted no! As in Lance is not over-rated on these boards. I'd like to rescind my vote and make it a yes, Lance is the future at SG.
    Whoops, me too.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Member Merz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,088
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoops, me too.

    I as well.

    So at least 4 votes should be changed.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,765

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Yea I got tricked by the title of the poll as well. I think he'd be just fine as started. Lance is great at his position because he literally plays the garbage man type role at the swing position, and does a very good job doing it. Considering Lance is nowhere near the focal point of the offense, I think averaging 8 points is great. It just means that he can score when he's called to do so. Lance plays with A LOT of energy (and although sometimes he is a little out of control) I think that that energy is very positive reinforcement for other players as well in encouraging them to play at a high tempo. Basically, what Lance does so well is that he complements our players very well - while some other players command the ball and needs to put up a lot of shots, he does very well in facilitating the offense, moving without the ball, and creating opportunities for others just by being on the floor.

    I think Lance is great.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  22. #13

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I probably should change mine also, but I won't just yet. I see Lance as the 6th man in a lineup with the 4 starters we have now along with Granger. Making him the 1st player off the bench and shifting every one else to give West the first break of the game. As David gets older, I see him playing more like KG does now. 6-8 minutes at a stretch with Granger moving to the 4 and PG to the 3 when Lance comes in.

  23. #14
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Do I think Lance Stephenson is the long-term solution at shooting guard? No. However, I voted yes, because I believe he frees up our long term solution at shooting guard. I believe Lance is our long-term solution at point guard. When he matures, he will be a will to pass, shoot, do it all. He is a well-rounded point guard, he is just very young, and still maturing into his role. I have never been high on George Hill as a point guard, and I believe him to be a shooting guard. I believe when Lance matures, he and George will switch roles. Lance will start at point, while Hill starts at shooting guard.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    This thread speaks volumes about Lance.

    Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  27. #16

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread speaks volumes about Lance.

    Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
    ALOT of people misread the poll including myself because for some reason he made the poll and title opposite

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,296

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    This is his first year with real steady PT. I see him improving more next year and in a year or 2 he will level out and average around 13-14 ppg and be playing monster defense.

  30. #18
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,296

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    If we keep West and PG, then Lance doesn't need to do a whole lot more. He just needs to Polish his game up a bit.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Member kmjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Age
    29
    Posts
    110
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got tricked by the title and turbo-voted no! As in Lance is not over-rated on these boards. I'd like to rescind my vote and make it a yes, Lance is the future at SG.
    ****... just realized that this got me too.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmjohnson For This Useful Post:


  34. #20

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    I think he's overrated by the board. But he's improved by leaps and bounds..and I can see the logic in believing he'll continue to do so. Many thought PG would peak at Trevor Ariza level, and that's clearly not true.

  35. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    The only player that is not overrated on this board is probably Plumlee.

  36. #22
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,776

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    The young man has one off game while being guarded by LeBron James and the result is this thread.

  37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  38. #23

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got tricked by the title and turbo-voted no! As in Lance is not over-rated on these boards. I'd like to rescind my vote and make it a yes, Lance is the future at SG.
    Haha I got tricked as well and voted no and just realized it when I came back to check the thread. So these numbers are skewed already lol.

  39. #24
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Most. Misleading. Poll. Ever.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  41. #25

    Default Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The young man has one off game while being guarded by LeBron James and the result is this thread.
    And I feel like they went away from him because of this fact. And wrongly so. Lance needs to start initiating the offense in crunch time. Let Hill sit in the corner. I think he has proven when we play a real defense and they ramp up the pressure, that he can not get it done near as effectively as he should. I think it is high time to give Lance control of the offense. Hill can be the number 2 on offense. And personally I think we need a better point guard and George Hill should be the combo guard off the bench, not Lance. Lance is a better distributor and defender, and that can't go unnoticed. He is also extremely efficient with his percentages and I'm betting the farm he can retain those percentages with a higher volume of shots in the future because of what he did at THE Lincoln High School.

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. NBA.com: Lance Stephenson Still Learning
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
  2. Lance Stephenson Arrested... Again
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM
  3. Is Lance Stephenson a PG?
    By BlueNGold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
  4. My Lance Stephenson thread..
    By O'Braindead in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  5. The Lance Stephenson Show [PD]
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •