Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Heat Postgame thread

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Heat Postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miami had a great attack plan and really did their homework. The main thing is that we learn from this game. Determine exactly what they did to stop us. ...and adapt. I don't think this game was as much a difference in talent as it was a difference in preparation and will.
    Well, shooting >55% for the game (and their bench was 6-17 from the floor if I did the math right) makes a huge difference, too.

I'm not so sure it was preparation and will as much as they executed like a championship contender quality team during a season-long winning streak should. They are the class of the league right now. I think they'll come back to us/ the earth between now and the ECFs. But we've got to be "on" to beat them, and we certainly didn't look like the team leading in Opp FG% and Opp 3FG% tonight when they were over 50% on both of those categories and other than West/ Hibbert, we didn't have much.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Miami had a great attack plan and really did their homework. The main thing is that we learn from this game. Determine exactly what they did to stop us. ...and adapt. I don't think this game was as much a difference in talent as it was a difference in preparation and will.
    well it looked like they got right in their faces, daring the pacers to beat them off the dribble. nobody on the pacers, except for maybe lance, is capable of this.

they're not going to fix this in a span of one/two months

I hope that anyone thinking our best plan was to develop OJ and Lance further before the playoffs watched this game. We're going to be a threat but we need Granger to stand a chance against the Heat in a series. Maybe PG has a better game next time but Lebron looked like he was laying back. PG and Lance can't handle Wade and Lebron and OJ nor Green are going to develop enough in the next 20 games.
    Let's hope Granger is back Wed. and sticks this time.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I feel like Chris Bosh never misses an open shot.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We were just overly carleless with the ball I thought tonight. The Heat are too good of a team to get away with that.

I agree we seemed to forget who we were making passes against and just got too sloppy. We threw at least 3 passes out of bounds and many other too soft. There were times Hill came down looking to do something and everyone was standing looking at him. We never moved the ball on offense like they did.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    What's scary to me is Lebron had a really bad game by his standards.
    Actually I disagree, He simply didn't need to dominate on offense because of Bosh and Chalmers.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

If I can take any bit of positive away from this game, it's that I think we pissed them off enough to the point that they showed their hand an awful lot in this game and that gives us something to look at between now and the next time we see them, and we will see them again.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Still a ways to go to be at Miami's level but then again, nobody is at Miami's level right now.

The next six games are winnable and ones the Pacers NEED to win to have a chance at the #2 seed.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 03-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Some of y'all are a little too focused on playing the Heat in the playoffs. What we need to do is focus up and try to secure the second seed. If the Heat ultimately come, then they come.

But I'm quite glad we're done with them for now. Too much superfluous ********. Let's bulldoze the rest of this season and make noise in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Some of y'all are a little too focused on playing the Heat in the playoffs. What we need to do is focus up and try to secure the second seed. If the Heat ultimately come, then they come.

But I'm quite glad we're done with them for now. Too much superfluous ********. Let's bulldoze the rest of this season and make noise in the first two rounds of the playoffs.
    I agree. Worrying about how we stack up against the Heat should be the least of everyone's worries right now. If we play the Heat again this year, it's not going to be for a looooooong time. We gotta worry about the other quality teams in the East that we will potentially face in the playoffs long before we sniff Miami. Teams like Boston, Chicago, Brooklyn, Atlanta, and New York aren't exactly scrub pushovers. It's not like our match-up with the Heat in the ECF's is set in stone.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think that is pretty much it. For example, double-teaming the ball in our back court resulted in a few turnovers that we should never have. When it happens the first time, it really shouldn't happen afterwards... we should easily be able to set up support guys to alleviate the pressure... as long as the other 4 guys are actually focused.

Paul George didn't do a bad job defensively. For the most part, he stayed in front of LeBron, but LeBron was hitting 15 foot jumpers. My only hope is that next time perhaps they will be 19-20 foot jumpers with George still in front of him. That still beats allowing him to drive the ball.

I think Miami's defense has the same glaring weakness as IU's. For that matter, the Pacers have that weakness as well. All 3 teams are extremely vulnerable to shots taken from the corners. We must find a way to capitalize on that even better, especially if guys like DJ are hitting that shot. If we work for that shot and can take advantage of it, it will work their defense hard and open them up to quick reversals and passes into the post from the other side of the floor.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned

One positive I got from this game is that finally nobody is blaming the referees for this loss, great job guys and great job to those that like to complain about the refs all the time, thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    One positive I got from this game is that finally nobody is blaming the referees for this loss, great job guys and great job to those that like to complain about the refs all the time, thank you ...
    Miami made it clear they are the superior team which is no surprise since they have the superior players. The fact that the Pacers were able to beat them twice this year is quite impressive.

The Pacers need to win their next six games to put themselves in good position to get the #2 seed. The Knicks are 1/2 game ahead of them for that spot at the moment.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I will only spot 1 thing that happened twice in the game, which was Wade smacking people when getting steals, the first one Vogel got a tech for. Other than that it was totally fair, and that in no way impacted the score. Paul George still almost outplayed Lebron, look at the stats, well of course I'm kidding PG needs to stop with the wild/fancy passes.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think that is pretty much it. For example, double-teaming the ball in our back court resulted in a few turnovers that we should never have. When it happens the first time, it really shouldn't happen afterwards... we should easily be able to set up support guys to alleviate the pressure... as long as the other 4 guys are actually focused.
    Right on the money. The Heat's double-teaming was pretty much perfect. I think Zach Lowe may have said it in one of his columns, but if you want to disrupt the Pacers, pressure hard on the guy bringing up the ball to force the offense to have to set up and execute much faster. Then, double team hard and fast because the passing skills are much sloppier than the passing talents.

Pacers passes have been deflected abundantly this year, and the Heat are one of the best teams in the league (along with Memphis and OKC) at getting into passing lanes. That's why George Hill's play is so critical, and perhaps why I'm disappointed with him more often than I should expect to be.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Hey, DJ Augustin's become useful as a spot up shooter. For two games anyway. So there's that.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I will only spot 1 thing that happened twice in the game, which was Wade smacking people when getting steals, the first one Vogel got a tech for. Other than that it was totally fair, and that in no way impacted the score. Paul George still almost outplayed Lebron, look at the stats, well of course I'm kidding PG needs to stop with the wild/fancy passes.
    I would only add the significant number of moving screens their bigs were getting away with.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Miami made it clear they are the superior team which is no surprise since they have the superior players. The fact that the Pacers were able to beat them twice this year is quite impressive.

The Pacers need to win their next six games to put themselves in good position to get the #2 seed. The Knicks are 1/2 game ahead of them for that spot at the moment.
    We've also played 3 more games then then Knicks. I know the stinking Knicks are going to have to catch up with us on games played at some point but here we are this week playing 4 while they only play 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    We've also played 3 more games then then Knicks. I know the stinking Knicks are going to have to catch up with us on games played at some point but here we are this week playing 4 while they only play 3.
    Knicks go on a 6 game road trip, with 5 of those teams all being playoff contenders, should be an interesting week for them.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

We didn't play very well. The Heat played very well. I don't know. I'm not that upset after this game. Probably a needed wake up call. Come home and beat Minny and LAL and I will be very happy with where we are.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    So, that happened. Lets move on.
    +1

Hoping no one got too down after this. Not worth it.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

couple of things. First, if Danny doesn't get healthy this season, Pacers are . Because, second, the young guys just didn't show up tonight. If Lance and Paul are going to be the stars of the future, they need to start playing hard during the hard games. Right now, they seem to play well against sucky teams. Anyone can play well against a team that you are beating by 20 pts. The genuine stars are the guys that show up against the teams that are better than you. I get that they are young players, but truth is, that really doesn't matter.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

quotes

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...didnt-compete/

“We didn’t compete from the opening tip,” West said. “”I just don’t think we brought enough competitive fire. LeBron James has 13 points and you have to beat other guys. [Mario] Chalmers goes for 26. It’s just not enough. We didn’t compete hard enough. You can’t beat a team like that in their building as well as playing without competing.”

In the second half they turned it up a notch,” Pacers coach Frank Vogel said, speaking like a coach whose team had been humbled a bit. “They were under our chins on every catch and we didn’t handle that pressure well enough. We are a young team. Paul George and Lance Stephenson are still very young players and their two superstars got the best of us.”

“I just thought that we didn’t respond to the challenge,” he [West] said. “They came out and they made the adjustment. They got us cross-matched. We just didn’t have enough pop. That’s probably the worst defensive game we played all year. It was just too comfortable and they took away our space. [There was] just no fire in us today. We were on our heels. Any time a guy crawls into your space, and you’re leaning back, they’ve got the power advantage. It’s a position of strength versus a position of weakness. They were in a position of strength against us all night.”

“Our team has shown great resolve all year,” Vogel said. “And I have every confidence that they are going to respond in the playoffs.”
    Honestly, I'm not all that discouraged by this game. I don't think we should lose to anyone but Miami in the playoffs (cuz we sure as hell aren't beating them), but I'm sorta fine with that, this year anyway. We've got a Reggie/Rik/Dale/Jax sorta vibe going, not to compare the pieces, but just in terms of sum's better than the parts. I don't want to say I want these guys to go out and get run off the floor in a playoff series, but there's much to learn from a circumstance like that if it presents itself.

It's not an excuse, but other than West and Danny (who I honestly have no hope for ever being anything more than a spot shooter again), it sorta gets lost in the shuffle how young this team is. Hill's still just barely capable of being an actual point guard, which hurt plenty tonight, Lance and PG are friggin 22, Roy's 26. I don't know, maybe I'm trying to rationalize, but building a REAL contender in our market with our assets is a long, long, term process.

I will say I'm not all that worried about keeping Danny. If he wants to stay and become strictly a shooter, great. If some team gets foolish and looks at what he used to be and offers him a bundle, hey, thanks Danny and I don't blame you.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 03-11-2013 at 12:45 AM.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I think all sports have those funny things where you can just domino the problems. One thing goes and it cascades into the whole system.

I was on Twitter saying Miami was gambling on offense with lots of perimeter shooting to avoid Roy. It's a gamble because those are not high PCT shots. Even if you leave people open they don't hit jumpers as well as inside shots. And you don't draw fouls with jumpers (normally). And if it's Bosh shooting from outside then you are giving up rebounds too.

But Bosh hit his jumpers at a crazy rate, and I mean crazy. He had ONE MAKE in the paint. One. That FG% was all on jumpers going. He was 1-2 from 3, a shot he makes at 22%. So if I have to bet my house on a gamble, it's on Bosh making 3s. I win that 4 times out of 5.

One Bosh was hitting shots West or Roy had to close out harder on him and then he had drive by plays to dump to others. The same began to happen with Chalmers and Allen. It wasn't that the Pacers defense was terrible, it's just that Miami took a gamble, it paid off and winning that got them into lots of bonus options they normally wouldn't get. If Bosh shoots a more normal rate then Miami has to start doing something else. They lose points, Indy has more transitions and gets some points there and Miami has to adjust strategy. That could be a 8-12 point swing in the outcome easily.

On offense the Heat really doubled hard and tried to press a lot. This looked like they had notes on how the Pacers handle pressure. We all know that TOs have been up and I think this is what Miami was betting on. The good thing about double teams, and why I think coaches like to avoid them, is that they create predictable defensive rotations and can be schemed against easier. During the game I think the Pacers started to figure it out a bit, but it was way too late to matter.

So I'm glad they got to see the plan. I don't think this strategy will work again. You know typical playoff series feature different strategies from game to game because teams are able to adjust so much. With Miami and Indy that extends into the regular season, and even over from last season given the small amount of roster changes for both teams.

One other thing is that I think Paul got a wake up call on his new found AS status. I think he was feeling like things would naturally come easier to him now and he got caught playing friendly rival stuff with a team that wasn't messing around. Spoelstra showed the world what he thought of Paul during the ASG. He put him back in late because he respects him. This ended up making him the Miami focus in this game and he wasn't up for it. He's been doing better with teams divided between West, Roy (teams still worry about him) and himself. Miami gave up on West and didn't appear to worry much about Roy, and Paul saw the results. He's finding out what makes Lebron better than him. Lebron does it when teams really don't want him to do it (ditto Kobe, Chris Paul, Dirk, etc).

It's a good lesson for him. First you want respect. That's your motivation. Then you get it and you find out how hard it is to deal with. That's level 2. I'm hopeful that Paul will adjust and improve his resolve after seeing this.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: