Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency and Draft...What do you think/What do you want to happen?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Free Agency and Draft...What do you think/What do you want to happen?

Exciting times for the Colts! So much money...so many options. This Tuesday is going to be HUGE for us and will help us see what happens in the draft!

F/A

I'm hoping F/A goes something like this:

Offensive Line:
    The Colt's O-Line was a mess last year. The guard position is a problem as Luck had no virtually no pocket to step into his throws as DEs pushed the edge in. Castonzo is staying put at Left Guard, Ben Iiljana should be healthy and can play either Right Tackle or Right Guard effectively, and AQ Shipley will hopefully be able to mature and take over starting Center duties from Satele. Justice and Link are quality back ups, but are not starting caliber linemen and should be replaced. This is the biggest need and should be addressed in Free Agency. We should be targeting young maulers to help establish our new West Coast Offense and preferably linemen that are used to a man to man scheme as opposed to zone blocking. ***Salary = estimate of what they will command per a year. I try to been generous in this as people can and do get over paid in F/A.

High Profile Options:

Guards:
    Vasquez - top 10 pass blocker, good run blocker. Very big and is used to man to man. Heavy set, but not that mobile. Plays Right Guard. Only 25. Expected salary - 5-8.
    Levitre - best guard pass blocker in league, ok run blocker. A tad undersized, but is stout and very mobile for a guard. Not afraid to get up field for secondary blocks. No injury history/durable. Biggest knock on him is that he is in a zone blocking scheme. Can move around the line pretty easily. Age= 26. Salary: 6-8 million a year

Tackles:

Vollmer - One of the best tackles in the league, missed most of last season with back issues. He is a tad old at 29, but would be worth the money if he stays healthy. Salary: 6-9
    Loadholt - This guy is an absolute mauler and is great at setting up the run(he's been doing it for AP). 27 years old. Salary: 5-7.
    Andre Smith - Once deemed to be a bust, Smith has finally blossomed during is contract year in Cinnci. He is the youngest of the bunch at 26 but should command big money in the range of 7-9.
    Long - Long is a big boy and has had a number of injury issues after being a #1 overall pick. At 27 years old Long can still turn around his career and be a dominant LT if he can stay injury free. But he wants a huge pay day around 11 a year and someone will give him in the range of 9-11.

I think we will sign either 1 guard or maybe 1 guard and 2 tackles. There's a chance of us signing both Vasquez and Levitre(which would be awesome) but I'm not sure how high the Colts are on Levitre since Vasquez looks to be a better fit. Long is pretty much stern no as he wants too much and has too many injury issues. I don't trust Smith since he has had one good season in a contract year and wants to get paid. If we grab a RT our best bet would be either Vollmer or Loadholt. I'm not sure how willing Ben would be to moving to LG if this scenario takes place.

Wide Reciever:
    We need 1 more decent receiver and really we need to start grooming someone to take over for Reggie soon. Hilton is great in the slot currently and could maybe move to the 2, but who then is going to fill in at the slot? Brazil? Whalen? I doubt it. There aren't very many F/As that intrigue me besides Denario Alexandria of the Chargers. But he has had injury issues and I think the Chargers may still try to retain him. Welker, Wallace, and Jennings either have age, attitude, or cost issues. We will probably draft a WR.

Defense:

Lots of holes here! We need 1 CB opposite of Davis, 1 SS to replace Zibby, who is awful(a S will work too as Bethea can easily swap to SS), DE to replace Freeney, OLB. I believe that the Colts are still trying to retain Powers and maybe even Butler or Vaughn. I'm just not convinced they will be able to work out a good price for both parties.

CB:
    Sean Smith -
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    Carry Williams -

Safety:
    Glover Quin:
    Chris Clemons: 27 years old.
    Ed Reed
    Landry

Got lazy here. Lol. I don't think we will get a F/A CB. I think we will resign Vaghn or Butler for cheap as insurance and draft a starter. For Safety, I think we will pick one off F/A unless Grigs is hellbent on drafting Elam(which I doubt even though he is good). Quin, Clemons, and Landry are all young/good enough upper middle talent at safety and would be a big upgrade over Zibby. Only CB I see Colts potentially getting is Carry Williams.

OLB/DE

Paul Kruger - He has had one good half season, albeit it led his team to a SB victory. I know he is a good fit but he wants way too much money. Anything over 8 million and you have to pass.
    Connor Barwin - He had an off year, is going to be released and could be signed for us for a much better price than kruger. My guess is he will get around 5 mil.

I think we will get Kruger. It pains me to say it as I think he will demand too much money. Pagano loves him. He fits are system. He just had an amazing year, etc. I credit a lot of his success to a guy named Terrel Suggs. He's a prime candidate to get overpaid. But we will probably get him.

One semi-realistic scenario:

OL: sign Levitre and Vasquez giving us: Castonzo, Levitre, AQ, Vasquez, Ben - So much better than last year. Signing two top guards will cost: 12-15 mil.
    DE: Sign Barwin for 5 mil
    S: Sign Quin or Landry for 4-5 mil

Pretty much the rest goes to resigning our own F/As and acquiring lesser known backups/fill ins(we have already franchised Pat 3 mil, and tendered some O-Line men which I think were Reitz and Link, resigned Moala). It goes fast. We may be able to sign ONE more decent F/A in the 4-5 range depending on how other contracts go.

Let Powers walk, Resign Butler or Vaughn for small contract.

In draft target CB or WR in first round. Personally I want Xavier Rhoades, but I doubt he falls to us. It is a good draft class for us. We will get someone that we need this year or we might even trade down.
    Last edited by Jessen; 03-11-2013 at 10:05 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Free Agency and Draft...What do you think/What do you want to happen?

Thanks for the work you did on this post! From what I have read you seem to be right on with a couple exceptions.
    1. Samson Satele is our Center according to everything I have seen and heard.
    2. I dont think they will even try to sign 2 high priced guards when the draft can produce one.
    3. Either Powers or another veteran FA will be the corner opposite Davis.

I like your opinion of Barwin (I think he will cost more than 5-6 mill though) over Kruger and think another reason to sign Barwin is that it will hurt our main division rival! We really do need a safety and a starting caliber RT. Maybe those two positions can be filled by the draft or by a lesser expensive FA. After a week of free agency, the prices will come down. Thats how Denver got Tracy Porter last year and I expect Grigson to make several moves like that this year spreading the money out.

I would like to see:
    1. Vasquez - G
    2. Barwin - OLB
    3. Starting CB
    4. Starting S
    and depth everywhere but TE!

Mood

Default Re: Free Agency and Draft...What do you think/What do you want to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the work you did on this post! From what I have read you seem to be right on with a couple exceptions. No Problem. Was bored and figured some could use this as a brief cheat sheet for the coming week.
    1. Samson Satele is our Center according to everything I have seen and heard. You are correct. He is the starter, however he is the potential successor and eventual starter. I honestly thought that he did a better job than Satelle when he filled in, but the sample size is small. I'm certainly not the only person who is confused as to why Satele is starting over him. I imagine that at some point during this next season he will start.
    2. I dont think they will even try to sign 2 high priced guards when the draft can produce one. I was unsure about this at first as well. But I do not think Grigson will take a chance on a starting guard/RT in the draft when cap space is there and the F/A market is there. Do you have someone in mind for the draft? I've had a crush on Warmack forever but those dreams were dashed after the BCS Title Game and Combine. There are certainly other options there but my guess is top talent at the 24th spot will be a CB, WR, or DE. We don't have a 2nd round pick either. Also Grigs said that he would rather draft young CBs as opposed to young OLs He's going to draft the best player available and I don't think it's going to be an OLine guy. It's hard to say what will happen. I honestly don't think we will get Levitre, but I want him. Lol. The writing is on the wall for Vasquez IMO.
    3. Either Powers or another veteran FA will be the corner opposite Davis. I tend to agree with Grigs in the Vet O Line > Vet CBs. CB is more of a skill position. I think they are trying for Powers, but I don't think it will happen. The draft position is there for CB(Rhodes or Trufant will be there). If we sign a vet I would be surprised if it's anyone other than Carry Williams.

I like your opinion of Barwin (I think he will cost more than 5-6 mill though) over Kruger and think another reason to sign Barwin is that it will hurt our main division rival! I think you're right. Kind of hope we get Quin for the same reason![/I]We really do need a safety and a starting caliber RT. Maybe those two positions can be filled by the draft or by a lesser expensive FA. After a week of free agency, the prices will come down. Thats how Denver got Tracy Porter last year and I expect Grigson to make several moves like that this year spreading the money out.

I would like to see:
    1. Vasquez - G
    2. Barwin - OLB
    3. Starting CB
    4. Starting S
    and depth everywhere but TE!

Pretty much agree with all your points except that I would like to pref O Line in Free Agency and get a CB in draft or in a last resort we could rely on Vaughn/Butler again. Either way we are going to have so much more talent on this team!
    Last edited by Jessen; 03-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Last year Grigson signed 6 free agents, with very little money (Redding, Satele, McGlynn, McKinny, Zbik, and Avery). So with a ton of money this year, I'm expecting him to sign at least 5, but of higher quality.

I expect him to sign a FA RT. There are a lot available and it's too important of a position to trust to a rookie or Ben's knee. I see the offensive line shaping up like this:

LT: Costanzo
    LG: FA (one of the two you identified)
    C: Satele
    RG: Up for grabs between Ben, Bean Anderson, and guys leftover from last year.
    RT: FA (someone young, healthy, and reliable but not too expensive)

The other major FA signings I expect are OLB (upgrade over Freeney) and S. It sounds like we're trying to keep Powers to play CB.

So that's 4 (LG, RT, OLB, S). I think the 5th will be a bargain pickup late in the free agent process. Maybe a veteran RB or a DE.

In the first round I'm thinking WR, DE, or CB whichever position has the best talent available when we pick.
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-10-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot we signed Satele as a FA last year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I'd like to see us continue to build through the draft. Priority #1 should be protecting Andrew Luck. I don't want us to dole out huge contracts for big name guys, I'd rather see us plug holes with decent players that don't demand a whole lot of cap room, but protecting Luck is without a doubt the #1 thing I want to see us do this offseason. I know we need help on defense and especially the secondary, but Luck is the franchise.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do we have people who can help keep Luck off the grass while doing a top-level job of run blocking? I want to see big improvement in the ground game.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I want us to go after Vasquez and Levitre hard and Loadholt. Then grab whoever is cheaper out of Kruger and Avril. If any money is left try to get Landry. Then use the draft to get a WR and CB/DL/S BPA. Also if they come cheap re sign powers and Butler.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

I want them to re-sign Powers but not be the starting corner opposite vontae we need someone better than him, Powers would be a perfect nickel corner.

We need a pass rusher i dont care who just someone our pass rush stinks and it needs a monumental upgrade.

and experienced corner with some height would be nice someone like a DRC or nmandi.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the pass rusher is a must and we will sign a FA unless somehow there is still a top one available in the draft when we are on the clock. Really doubt it though.
    But, as you mentioned, protecting Luck is a bigger must. Having a very good and improved push rushing defense won't mean that much if Luck keeps getting beat. Pretty sure we will sign either Levitre or Vazquez (both would be indeed awesome as the op said) and one OT opposite Castonzo. We have to, otherwise, it will be very disappointing.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Like everyone else get Luck some protection like yesterday. The good thing if that is a priority and the team being more of a ball control offense the defense won't be on the field as long and as exposed.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'd like to see us continue to build through the draft. Priority #1 should be protecting Andrew Luck. I don't want us to dole out huge contracts for big name guys, I'd rather see us plug holes with decent players that don't demand a whole lot of cap room, but protecting Luck is without a doubt the #1 thing I want to see us do this offseason. I know we need help on defense and especially the secondary, but Luck is the franchise.
    exactly!! u read my mind, if we only get 2 starting caliber OL and a safety tmrw, i am a happy man, spend our cap money wisely, instead of wasting on system type of players, not sold on krueger, where was he before the playoffs? there is cheaper quialty guys out there and i trust that grigson will find them, and im not sold on Powers, rather re-sign Vaugn and butler over him, plus SD is after him

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR-LANCE-ALOT For This Useful Post:

Upgrade O line, get defensive guys like Avril, Kruger, Landry, maybe Ed Reed or Glover Quin, get a vet WR, and DRC

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    exactly!! u read my mind, if we only get 2 starting caliber OL and a safety tmrw, i am a happy man, spend our cap money wisely, instead of wasting on system type of players, not sold on krueger, where was he before the playoffs? there is cheaper quialty guys out there and i trust that grigson will find them, and im not sold on Powers, rather re-sign Vaugn and butler over him, plus SD is after him
    The issue is that we are roughly $40 million UNDER the minimum cap. There is limited roster space. We need to spend the money. We also only have 5 draft picks and one of the missing ones is a 2nd rounder(V. Davis). I agree that we don't want to over pay anyone, but 1) we need to spend a lot of money 2) we have a lot of holes to fill. In all reality it equates to us signing 3-5 big contracts and using the rest for backups/our guys. As I mentioned we've already spent some chump change franchising Pat(3 mil) and tendering Rietz(620k i think), Link(1.3 mil), and can't remember the other 1 or two guys but both were about 1 mil. Luckily there are a ton of OLs, DEs, and Ss out there in F/A this year so we may get better deals than most are anticipating.

I have tremendous faith in Grigs. My only worry is that Pagano seems to have a soft spot for his old guys and I really don't want to overpay for ex-Ravens(cough cough Zibby). My best guess is that we get 2 OL and 1 DE in F/A in the next 2 days and maybe a safety or CB in following week if a guy Grig's likes is there for the right price.

I know O-Line is the #1 priority, but does anybody think we have a shot at Brent Grimes?

Him and Vontae would be awesome

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    I know O-Line is the #1 priority, but does anybody think we have a shot at Brent Grimes?

Him and Vontae would be awesome
    Grimes is an awesome CB and may come at a good price. Might be worth the post injury gamble. I don't see it happening though since he is a tad old at 29 and the draft has some good corners in it, but it's not out of the question.

Mood

I think your numbers are off, for the people you projected the cost will probably be higher, also I would not be mad with those signings besides Landry, guy sucks.

Honestly what I think happens is that we sign Vasquez, Powers, Some vet RT, and possibly Ed Reed, I doubt we will spend a lot on secondary, and line be the bulk of signings. I think OLB will probably be someone who does not seem to be on the Colts radar, but from what I have heard sounds like Avril to indy is close to being done, so we will see.
    Why so SERIOUS

Ricky Jean Francois from the 49ers NT is taking a visit to the colts.

he would be a very good signing would be cheap and we could have a nice rotation at NT

Powers gone according to chappell.

resigning butler is a must now

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I think your numbers are off, for the people you projected the cost will probably be higher, also I would not be mad with those signings besides Landry, guy sucks.

Honestly what I think happens is that we sign Vasquez, Powers, Some vet RT, and possibly Ed Reed, I doubt we will spend a lot on secondary, and line be the bulk of signings. I think OLB will probably be someone who does not seem to be on the Colts radar, but from what I have heard sounds like Avril to indy is close to being done, so we will see.
    I don't think they were that bad besides Barwin, who will probably get closer to 7/8. It's a buyers market this year. Vasquez got just below 6 and Levtre got 8 which is within the range I set. I have no idea why we didn't get Vasquez for that price but I'm decently happy with the Thomas and Cherilus. It's just not what I was expecting. You were right about under the radar...Walden.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    I don't think they were that bad besides Barwin, who will probably get closer to 7/8. It's a buyers market this year. Vasquez got just below 6 and Levtre got 8 which is within the range I set. I have no idea why we didn't get Vasquez for that price but I'm decently happy with the Thomas and Cherilus. It's just not what I was expecting. You were right about under the radar...Walden.
    Yeah I guess predictions are just that, I was on for a few but off on powers Vasquez and spending on the secondary, but yes very surprised that Vasquez was had so cheap, I assumed his numbers and Levitre would be close, guess not, and yes we should have jumped on that, but oh well, we still will have to address guard in free agency, so I am wondering who it will be, we will need to get atleast one OG.
    Why so SERIOUS

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah I guess predictions are just that, I was on for a few but off on powers Vasquez and spending on the secondary, but yes very surprised that Vasquez was had so cheap, I assumed his numbers and Levitre would be close, guess not, and yes we should have jumped on that, but oh well, we still will have to address guard in free agency, so I am wondering who it will be, we will need to get atleast one OG.
    Wow forgot about Thomas, yeah I think OG might be set right now, as well...

I am thinking the only moves we make now are S, WR, DE, NT and possibly FB, with all these signings it really opens up our draft board, to take the BPA, well besides a guy at RT.

I think we grab S and NT and a young DE and that will be about it, we already signed the AFL WR to a future contract and unless we get a good deal on some guy that is a WR I doubt we do much.
    Why so SERIOUS

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we will look for another Guard. I mean, we have right now Thomas, Reitz and McGlynn. That's them and I really doubt we are set there. So I expect to get one who will be the starter possibly.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I think we will look for another Guard. I mean, we have right now Thomas, Reitz and McGlynn. That's them and I really doubt we are set there. So I expect to get one who will be the starter possibly.
    You forgot Ben.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You forgot Ben.
    Yep, my bad. Ijalana was injured for the whole year and completely forgot him. Thing is how he will be after his recovery and if the Colts are high on his fitness status. Not a knock on the player but it's a reason why I think they will move to get another one.
    Remains to be seen...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Yep, my bad. Ijalana was injured for the whole year and completely forgot him. Thing is how he will be after his recovery and if the Colts are high on his fitness status. Not a knock on the player but it's a reason why I think they will move to get another one.
    Remains to be seen...
    Not sure how he will be, but doubt Colts invest in a good back up so soon, until they have a better idea of what they have in him.
    Why so SERIOUS