Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLB thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2013 MLB thread

This can be a thread for baseball stuff that doesn't fit within the Cubs or Reds threads.

The great Mariano Rivera officially announced today that 2013 will be his last season. I hope he has a great farewell season, though it looks like he's going to unfortunately be playing for a pretty banged up team. He said he would have retired after last season if he didn't get hurt. I'm glad that he gets to go out on his terms this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2...at-seasons-end

Default Re: 2013 MLB thread

Yankees and Red Sox have had surprisingly good starts to the season. Angels once again have had a brutal start to the season despite having a loaded roster. Braves are on fire. This has been an enjoyable season so far.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm absolutely astounded at the start the Cardinals have had. The roster wasn't all that different from last year, but when players have faltered (i.e. Boggs or Scrabble) or came down with an injury, they've called up legitimate major league prospects who they plug in and nothing changes. 7 of 10 on the home stand. Just an all around effort.

Side note, am I the only Birds fan on the board here?

The Birds play Pujols for the first time since he left. I'm not bitter, it's just going to be weird seeing him on the other side of the field tonight.

It will be interesting to see Pujols play against his former team. The Cardinals certainly look smart for not giving him all of that money.

The Red Sox have been a big surprise with their impressive season this year. I can't believe that the Dodgers gave them an opportunity to hit the reset button on those terrible contracts. They are sitting in good position right now.

I can't believe that the Yankees are four games over .500 this late in the season with that snoozer of a roster that they've been trotting out. I don't see them being a serious contender for a playoff spot, but then again I didn't think they'd win as many games as they have.

Pittsburgh has been a great story this season. That park will be rocking if they make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will be interesting to see Pujols play against his former team. The Cardinals certainly look smart for not giving him all of that money.
    Agreed, and yet they still offered him a TON of money, just for 5 years less and that's what upset Sir Albert. So it's partially the Cardinals' smarts, but really, it's Pujols choosing the money and the term that has really spared the Cardinals. With the money that Pujols leaving freed up, the Cards were able to re-sign Molina, Wainwright, Allen Craig, plus get two years of Carlos Beltran (at an All Star level, no less) and have room to bring up guys like Matt Adams, etc. I remembered when he signed with the Angels I was pretty upset, but I knew in the long run this would certainly be to the Cardinals benefit. The rapid rise of the Cards farm system paired with the rapid decline (due to health reasons) of Pujols, and the Cards got off scott free.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

A-Rod is playing a rehab game tonight in Single-A ball. I hope he comes back and plays well.

Mood

Yanks have so many injuries..worst roster in a while... Especially the pitching besides Kuroda.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Yanks have so many injuries..worst roster in a while... Especially the pitching besides Kuroda.

Sabathia certainly has been disappointing this season for a guy making $24 million. A 4.15 ERA is disappointing when you're making that kind of jack. Kuroda and Pettitte are old. Phelps, Nova, and Hughes are all wildly inconsistent.

The Yankees don't seem like they have a very bright future right now. A-Rod and Jeter are fossils who haven't played a game this season. The Teixiera contract looks worse by the minute. Granderson can't stay healthy.

Mood

The Cubs just traded a bunch of guys for top rated Venezuelan and Dominican 16 year olds isn't that just exciting? These guys should hit the majors by the time I retire . We are so far away ready for Garza and others to be traded, hell at least Carlos Marmol is gone.

How about the Pirates though I am happy for them they deserve a good year, hope they don't fall apart.

And why did the Yankees not keep Ibanez? He just hit his 20th home run tonight.

Mood

I dunno what they have been doing. I don't like the future either... Way too old :/

I dunno what they have been doing. I don't like the future either... Way too old :/
    I'm worried that age has finally caught up with Cap'.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...all-star-break

Mood

I hate the Cardinals. Don't know if I ever mentioned that or not...Just making sure everyone was aware of my thoughts on the matter. Yes, I'm jealous as hell. I hope they win it all, but I still hate them.
    Last edited by travmil; 10-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

It's kind of funny how they've moved on from Pujols as if he were nothing. They just keep on winning regardless of whoever is on the team. Drawing a firm red line with their contract offer was a brilliant decision.

One of the best franchises in professional sports, no doubt.

Mood

Yeah, no question about it. I think that's why I'm so jealous. Everything they do, even when it looks like it should be bad and turn to ****, it just doesn't. There's no reason on earth letting Pujols walk should have turned out good for them. But it did.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

It's kind of funny how they've moved on from Pujols as if he were nothing. They just keep on winning regardless of whoever is on the team. Drawing a firm red line with their contract offer was a brilliant decision.

I figured they would easily it was usually the other players that made the big plays for the Cardinals in the postseason rather than Pujols. Like Freese etc.

Not really a baseball fan but I sometimes catch postseason baseball which actually interests me on some level.

Magic is so going to fire Donnie Baseball.. he's never going to a WS with him as the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I figured they would easily it was usually the other players that made the big plays for the Cardinals in the postseason rather than Pujols. Like Freese etc.

Not really a baseball fan but I sometimes catch postseason baseball which actually interests me on some level.

Magic is so going to fire Donnie Baseball.. he's never going to a WS with him as the manager.

In the 2011 playoffs, Pujols hit 5 homers (3 in the World Seies) and knocked in 16 runs. They were a complete team, but Pujols was a major loss. They've been able to compensate though with guys like Beltran.

In the 2011 playoffs, Pujols hit 5 homers (3 in the World Seies) and knocked in 16 runs. They were a complete team, but Pujols was a major loss. They've been able to compensate though with guys like Beltran.

I must've blocked that out I vaguely remember David Freese and how the Rangers were a couple outs away from winning the WS and blew that game and the series.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Cardinals - Red Sox is certainly a great series for MLB as far as ratings and attention are concerned. Should be a great series.

Baseball gets boring when the season drags on and on, but it's an exciting sport to watch in the postseason when everything is on the line.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, there's something you don't see every day...

I'm gonna do some research but I think this may be the 1st time in MLB history a post season game has ended on an obstruction call.

There's no question in my mind that it was the right call. Obstruction was called by the 3rd base ump immediately, he had no hesitation. The rule states (I'm paraphrasing here) that if the fielder is not fielding the ball or in possession of it, he must not hinder the runner. The Red Sox on the field were upset because they thought the home plate ump called the obstruction, and that he did it late. In reality, the home plate ump, when he pointed down to 3rd was deferring to the already made call from his 3rd base ump that the players didn't see, since they were, you know, playing. Two types of obstruction are called. Type A is when the obstructed runner is being played (they're trying to put that runner out when the obstruction occurs), Type B is when that runner is not being played. This was a Type B call. In Type A, the ball is immediately called dead, and all runners are awarded the next base, including home plate. In Type B, play is allowed to continue, as happened tonight, pending the results of the play. If the runner is called safe at the next base, he's good to go and the obstruction call is ignored. If he's out, the obstruction call is upheld and he's awarded the base, which is what happened here.

Just a crazy crazy ending. Stuff like this is why I love baseball.
    Last edited by travmil; 10-27-2013 at 12:28 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Ya right call for sure. It was so bizzare though terrible decision by the Sox catcher he had no shot at an out at 3B. I just dont don't understand the breaks the Cards get Seems like every year the big break goes their way. Before you ask yes I am jealous my team sucks and our rival just wins uggh lol.

Mood

Predictably, Boston fans are upset, setting an all time record for Twitter Whining. These are the same fans who are perfectly fine with the tuck rule handing them a playoff game.
    Last edited by travmil; 10-27-2013 at 01:38 AM.

It definitely looked intentional, but intent doesn't matter anyway. That was definitely the right call. Middlebrooks clearly obstructed Craig.

I still don't understand why John Farrell didn't pinch hit for Workman in the 8th when there was only one out. I know he isn't use to playing NL style ball, but pinch hitting there seemed like the pretty obvious move, IMO. It would have been the perfect spot for Napoli.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-27-2013 at 08:52 AM.