Thread: James Harrison has been released by the Steelers

Default James Harrison has been released by the Steelers

James Harrison tweets his goodbye to the Steelers

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 9, 2013, 11:50 AM EST

AP
    For days, itís been clear the Steelers and James Harrison werenít getting anywhere in talks about lowering his salary/cap hit.

So now the inevitable has apparently happened, with Harrison tweeting out his goodbye to Steelers fans.

Harrison played well when he got well last year, but approaching 35 years old and with a $6.57 million salary, the Steelers did what they have done so many times ó they walked away from one of their own sooner rather than later.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: James Harrison has been released by the Steelers

This one hurts. Really hurts. It was completely expected, and has been rumored all week as they were clearly miles apart in contract renegotiations. But this guy has been one of the top five football players for several years until injuries caught up with him last season. While I liked Joey Porter more, this may sting a bit more because when we let Joey go, we had James waiting in the wings. No clue who will step up at this point...

James' facebook post,

"
    It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!"
    Hines Ward's facebook post,

"
    A big shout to James Harrison, aka DEBO. It's been a pleasure to have played with you. You're one special player. I know the rest of the AFC North offensive players are celebrating. Keep your head up. Whatever you decide to do my brother, I'll always be cheering for you. Much respect."

He's just been one of my favorite players as he's extended the legacy of our LB factory. Lots of pressure on Jason Worlids to step up now... (and low expectations that he'll be the player we need over there.)

Along with Gregg Lloyd and Joey, its been a lot of fun watching these guys dominate the game in the offensive backfield and truly disrupt a number of high octane offenses for the better part of 20 years.

James' agent told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,

Parise declined to say how much salary the Steelers wanted to cut and how much Harrison was willing to give them, but maintained there is no ill feelings.

"First and foremost, I think James understands it's a business. We're both hurt by this. You have to remember the Steelers are like a family and any of these types of separations are hurtful.

"But James and I are very appreciative with the Steelers, the Rooneys and the opportunity they gave James. He had a very good run here. We really appreciate the love and we're sorry it's over.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2N55R5YL3
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Several big name defensive players have left their longtime teams this off-season:

Dwight Freeney
    James Harrison
    Ray Lewis (retired)
    Charles Woodson
    John Abraham

Maybe Ed Reed soon?

Am I leaving anyone out? I feel like I am.

EDIT: Add Osi Umenyiora to that list.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-earn-it-back/

I'm a little surprised that he would balk at the Steelers' fair offer before at least seeing what his market value is, but I guess it's possible that the "incentives" were that he put up Madden-like numbers.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He had said a while ago that he wasn't going to take a paycut. I think he would have restructured (as Ben and Timmons just did), but they didn't take pay cuts just shifted money to bonuses for cap reasons.

I think he wants to test the waters, and I think there's a decent chance he's still wearing black and gold by fall if he figures out that he's overvalued himself.

On the other hand, he's a young 34/35 by NFL standards, having gone undrafted and not playing many downs over his first four years because he couldn't get on the field ahead of Porter, Gildon, and Hagaans in their primes. And once his knee recovered from the surgery last season, he was as good as any LB in the league over the last six games or so of 2012.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'd rather the Colts sign this guy to a lower dollar short-term agreement than tie up lots of cap space in somebody like Krueger or Avril for the long-term.

Outside pass rushers need to come from the draft otherwise teams usually end up overpaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather the Colts sign this guy to a lower dollar short-term agreement than tie up lots of cap space in somebody like Krueger or Avril for the long-term.

Outside pass rushers need to come from the draft otherwise teams usually end up overpaying.
    The same can be said about RT, RG, CB, and just about every position in th NFL if the player is a difference maker. The question is should the Colts spend big money of a couple free-agents and fill in with lower end players or create a lot of depth with several "middle the road" type players?

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    The same can be said about RT, RG, CB, and just about every position in th NFL if the player is a difference maker. The question is should the Colts spend big money of a couple free-agents and fill in with lower end players or create a lot of depth with several "middle the road" type players?
    You can get a top flight guard or a very good RT for well under $5 MIL a year and lock them up long-term. The highest paid RT in the league now is Doug Free at $6.2 MIL and he got that money when playing LT.

ILB's, Safeties, Centers, Guards all positions with a much better track record of providing long-term value when spending cap space in the free agent market.

Outside pass rushers come at a premium and teams don't let them go unless there are issues or they have strong feelings about them being overvalued. Free agent cap space is better spent at certain positions. Free agent money spent on the high end QB's, CB's, DE/OLB's, RB's and WR's is historically a very poor investment. These positions are best filled through the draft. Even trades for these type players tend to be one sided and frequently don't turn out well for the team getting the big name guy.

Any buyers remorse in Buffalo with Mario Williams right now? The Redskins and Pierre Garcon? Seahawks and Matt Flynn? Cowboys and Brandon Carr? Tampa and Eric Wright? Taking a quick look at last years "glamour position" free agent signings and basically the only ones that stand out as being worth the money would be Vincent Jackson & Manning and given the age and injury history of those guys either one could turn into a bust by the end of next year.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 03-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    You can get a top flight guard or a very good RT for well under $5 MIL a year and lock them up long-term. The highest paid RT in the league now is Doug Free at $6.2 MIL and he got that money when playing LT.

ILB's, Safeties, Centers, Guards all positions with a much better track record of providing long-term value when spending cap space in the free agent market.

Outside pass rushers come at a premium and teams don't let them go unless there are issues or they have strong feelings about them being overvalued. Free agent cap space is better spent at certain positions. Free agent money spent on the high end QB's, CB's, DE/OLB's, RB's and WR's is historically a very poor investment. These positions are best filled through the draft. Even trades for these type players tend to be one sided and frequently don't turn out well for the team getting the big name guy.

Any buyers remorse in Buffalo with Mario Williams right now? The Redskins and Pierre Garcon? Seahawks and Matt Flynn? Cowboys and Brandon Carr? Tampa and Eric Wright? Taking a quick look at last years "glamour position" free agent signings and basically the only ones that stand out as being worth the money would be Vincent Jackson & Manning and given the age and injury history of those guys either one could turn into a bust by the end of next year.
    I was responding to your quote about overpaying by stating the Draft will almost always produce cheaper talent than Free Agency will - at every position. Think Luck makes more than $4mill if he is on the open market now?
    In my post, I stated that I am of the opinion NOT to overspend on a Free Agent and spread the money out to provide depth. But any strong pass rushing OLB in the draft will probably be long gone before we pick. I bet Griggs spends the money for a G and OLB. Would be shocked if he doesnt

He's going to regret not taking Pitt's offer:

Although the agent for free agent linebacker James Harrison says the door is open to a return to Pittsburgh, the Steelers apparently don’t agree.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers have informed Harrison that they no longer are interested in him playing for them in 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ot-interested/

He should have gauged the interest from other teams before completely rejecting Pitt's very fair 30% pay cut.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...ng-deal-source

Bengals try to sign James Harrison

James Harrison, Bengals Working On Deal

The Cincinnati Bengals and former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison will try to complete a deal this week, a source familiar with situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

[+] Enlarge
    Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
    James Harrison has long been a thorn in the side of AFC North quarterbacks, such as the Bengals' Andy Dalton, pictured. He might soon be a player Ben Roethlisberger has to worry about as well.
    Harrison and former Miami Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby each visited Cincinnati last week, and while the Bengals are interested in Dansby, a deal with Harrison seems more attainable and realistic at this time.

The Bengals have a need at outside linebacker, as 2012 starter Manny Lawson signed with the Buffalo Bills this offseason.

The 34-year-old Harrison, who was set to make $6.57 million in 2013, was released by the Steelers last month after refusing to take a pay cut. His agent said his client would be open to a return to the Steelers, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the team is not interested in a reunion.

Harrison was meeting with the Baltimore Ravens on the same day Baltimore reached agreement with linebacker Elvis Dumervil, which ended the team's interest in signing Harrison. Otherwise he has received little interest from teams looking for a linebacker.

Harrison missed the first three games of the 2012 season with a minor knee injury but was one of Pittsburgh's steadiest performers over the second half of the year. He finished with six sacks, tied for the team lead, and a pair of forced fumbles as the Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense for the fourth time since Harrison became a starter.

He has 64 career sacks and was named The Associated Press' Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 after finishing with a career-best 16 sacks.

Man the Bengals could be good this year
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Man the Bengals could be good this year
    It seems like I've heard that a lot in recent seasons, yet they never win anything more than ten games and always lose their first playoff game. I won't stay awake at night worrying about them, that's for sure.