Thread: Anyone See that Hornets Turnover Late in NO/LAL Game Last Night?

Sports Logo

Default Anyone See that Hornets Turnover Late in NO/LAL Game Last Night?

With under a minute to go, a Hornets player turned the ball over after stepping out of bounds.

Before I go on I'm curious if there's anyone out there that remembers this play and perhaps noticed anything strange about it?

Default Re: Anyone See that Hornets Turnover Late in NO/LAL Game Last Night?

Yes I saw it as NBATV picked up the live action. It was Gordon who stepped out of bounds.

Was there something else.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've seen a few people mention he wasn't out, I haven't seen it though.

It's no surprise. The refs are going to be on LA's side the rest of the way. Hornets have no right to complain though, giving up a 20 point lead to that team is brutal.

It looked like he was probably out of bounds to me. Didn't see a great angle though and it was difficult to determine if his whole foot touched the floor or only a portion of his foot touched the floor. But I didn't think it was a bad call.

Sports Logo

That's when I saw it, too. On the NBATV live look-in.

I wasn't sure he stepped out of bounds. Bad camera angle. But what I really noticed was how long it took for the ref to react. I'm betting Gordon took 3 if not 4 more steps before the ref blew the whistle. You just don't usually see hesitation on a call like that.

I got thinking about the NBA's reputation of favoring the superstar/sexy team. It's like that ref suddenly realized the situation and how bad the Lakers need wins.

I would like to find the video of it but I'm sure that will be a tough task.

Just watched it again. Looked like he stepped out of bounds with his left foot. My only question was whether it was a foul on the Lakers.

Don't have time right now, but it is available in the game re-cap. Will say the ref had a perfect angle.

edit: yes he hesitates, but both players were running right at the ref, so I can understand why the ref couldn't make the call until he could get out of the way.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Sports Logo

Where do I find the game recap? Just watched the ESPN highlight and the play wasn't there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched the ESPN highlight and the play wasn't there.
    Surprise surprise

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

PacerDude

From the highlights I didn't see anything that jumped out at me... And wow New Orleans needs a new coach. This guy is in way over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhall11 View Post
    From the highlights I didn't see anything that jumped out at me... And wow New Orleans needs a new coach. This guy is in way over his head.

I think he's one of the best young coaches in the NBA. He gets his team to play hard, and after watching his interaction with his players during NBATV's real training camp, I came away extremely impressed with Monty Williams.

here is the link if you want to see the play. it is around the 2:30 mark

http://www.nba.com/games/20130306/LALNOH/gameinfo.html
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Sports Logo

Thanks for that link. I still say it looks dubious. It takes him forever to make that call.

My 100th post. I am well on my way.

His left foot looks on the line to me, though the ref had a far, far better look than that camera angle. The ref only hesitates on the call to get out of the way first. Sorry, tinfoilers...
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Clear tanking move.

PacerDude

Yea... one of the best coaches to have on the opposing team. I didn't see anything but the highlights and I can count at least 3 plays that can be largely contributed to coaching alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhall11 View Post
    Yea... one of the best coaches to have on the opposing team. I didn't see anything but the highlights and I can count at least 3 plays that can be largely contributed to coaching alone.
    Can you give me an example of one of those plays

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Refs make bad calls once in a while, so I wouldn't automatically attribute it to the league being behind the Lakers at all.

I think it's pretty obvious he stepped out of bounds..unless he's somehow managing to balance running on the sides of his foot. And even if he is, I can't blame a ref for making that error because I'm sure it looked like he was on the line.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Sorry, tinfoilers...
    Surely no one thinks the NBA has the reputation it does because of some unfair coincidence.

To say it's a conspiracy is too strong of a word. Too pretentious. But to pretend officials aren't swayed by superstars or big-market teams is naive, too.