View Poll Results: Should the Pacers sit Danny for the rest of the year?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 33.68%
  • No

63 66.32%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to pull the plug on Grangerís comeback? Conrad Brunner

Default Re: Is it time to pull the plug on Grangerís comeback? Conrad Brunner

We play Wed, Fri, and Sat. So I'm guessing this means we'll know more by Monday afternoon 3/18.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am just hoping we get a 10 ppg guy off the bench for the playoffs
    It's unfortunately gotten to the point where 10 ppg is a super optimistic outlook. That would have been considered pessimistic two months ago.

It's a shame, but the odds of him playing consistent quality minutes for us in the postseason are dwindling by the day.

This has microfracture knee surgery written all over it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    His problem is with tendons, microfracture surgery is performed to the bone I believe, what Danny has doesnt really has a cure.

Explain?

In response to this latest update, my view is the same that you may as well let it play out and see if he can give you anything of worth in time for the playoffs or not. No harm in letting things develop as they may. Especially since we're talking about a bench role, not a starting role.

Other than that, certainly it's not good to hear he's out for a while longer. The natural thing to wonder is if this spells the end of his season and perhaps the end of his career. Then again, we were told playing was part of the rehab, and rehab involves setbacks, so it could just be taking longer than we'd like or too long but still be on track for an eventual recovery that just might not be in time for this post season.

Nothing to do but wait and see.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The rehab process on this is 3-6 months. That's been in quite a bit of the links provided already. It sucks, and I wish it was different, but I still don't understand why someone smack dab in the middle of the rehab process is evidence that the rehab isn't working.

Once he gets on the other side 6months, then it starts meaning stuff. Until then, no matter how many times it's mocked, it's still rather normal.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The rehab process on this is 3-6 months. That's been in quite a bit of the links provided already. It sucks, and I wish it was different, but I still don't understand why someone smack dab in the middle of the rehab process is evidence that the rehab isn't working.

Once he gets on the other side 6months, then it starts meaning stuff. Until then, no matter how many times it's mocked, it's still rather normal.
    My attention span has failed me because I never realized the window was generally accepted to be 3-6 months. I knew about them originally saying Danny would be out at least 3, but never knew there was a 'typical ceiling' (my words) on it at 6, either.

So basically we should all be fearing the worst if Danny is still struggling with this by May? Not that I would expect him to suddenly play at that point if we're still in the playoffs, but we should hope to at least hear he's finally healthy around May, right, thinking ahead to next season?

Here's the link again explaining the difference between tendinosis vs tendonitis, and where it says the rehab is 3-6months.
    http://www.elitesportstherapy.com/te...vs--tendonitis

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

We thought he'd be back because he did come back, so the optimism wasn't crazy. But I do agree with Since86 that it's just nuts to panic if the "best case" doesn't pan out. Danny hasn't even begun to sniff the range of "worst case". Right now it's moved on to something more like "typical case".

Certainly while facing the unknown you can worry that no good days are ahead, but then suddenly they show up and you wonder why you ever worried at all. So it would be a lot better to see Danny playing now and feeling great, but it's not the end of the world that he isn't.

He may yet be able to be a story this season. A dramatic off-the-bench punch just as the playoffs roll around would be one hellava story.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Also one thing to add to put things in perspective, as much as we are discussing what works for the team and how Danny can help the team in some way, there is something more at play with having him return.

It would just be nice to see a long time Pacer star be out on the court with one of the best rosters they've ever put together. After enduring all those years the guy gets a few months and a 1st round run and then a lock-out season smashed together with a 2nd round run.

Danny has been fun to watch and he's been on of the few bright spots in some dark seasons. I'd just like to see him out there for the sake of seeing him out there, period. Just like it was awesome when Dale was brought back. It just feels right.

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned

@MikeWellsNBA: Pacers: The clock is ticking on Granger and the Pacers | Pacers Insider http://t.co/Mld0Q4ehHY

Raise your hand if you weren’t surprised to hear that Danny Granger wouldn’t be in the lineup this week.

My hand is up in the air.

Raise your hand if you were surprised to hear that Granger wouldn’t even return to the practice court until Sunday at the earliest.

My hand is up again.

I wasn’t surprised Granger wouldn’t be in the lineup against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday or against the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday. That’s because Granger still isn’t practicing. He didn’t practice Saturday in Miami, at shootaround the next morning or Tuesday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. He spends most of his time off to the side shooting.

Coach Frank Vogel said Granger will have is left knee re-evaluated at the end of this week. Even then, that will only limit Granger to resuming activities, meaning practicing, if he’s cleared.

That’s not good.

The clock is ticking on the Pacers and Granger to be a factor down the stretch.

Look at it this way, Granger definitely won’t play in the next three games – Minny, Lakers and at Philly. He likely won’t play at Cleveland next Monday or against Orlando on Tuesday.

That’s five games right there. That leaves 14 games at best for Granger to play.

At some point the Pacers have to decide if it’s worth it to try to have Granger return. They’ll be in a tricky position if Granger does return to the lineup.

That means more adapting to him being in the lineup. That also means more time with him trying to knock the rust off. The Pacers will likely be trying to lock up the Central Division and the second seed over the next few weeks.

Do you think Granger will return this season or do you think the Pacers should shut him down for the season?
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Bright spot: reallllllly lowering his value for his next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Bright spot: reallllllly lowering his value for his next contract.
    Of course, that also means really lowering his trade value, too...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    @MikeWellsNBA: Pacers: The clock is ticking on Granger and the Pacers | Pacers Insider http://t.co/Mld0Q4ehHY
    Mike Wells? I thought for sure YOU wrote that article.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

20. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Mike Wells? I thought for sure YOU wrote that article.

Naw, but what about the guy in the comments section who said the Pacers should have traded Granger for Monte Ellis? That sounds familiar. Ian from... Venezuela?

Middle April sounds ridiculously too soon for Granger to be ready.... Late May/early June... that sounds more possible. Just saying, why decide now or even soon unless its just clear he's not going to play. If they make the ECF thats pretty far away and not impossible to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Danny has been fun to watch and he's been on of the few bright spots in some dark seasons. I'd just like to see him out there for the sake of seeing him out there, period. Just like it was awesome when Dale was brought back. It just feels right.

I definitely feel bad for the guy. His physical prime coincided with the years our roster was complete garbage. But he always had a good attitude and never did anything to embarrass the franchise. He's a classy guy. It's a shame that he's going through this at a still relatively young age, when the Pacers have by far the best roster of his tenure here.

Granger came of age surrounded by the likes of Dunleavy, Murphy, Tinsley, etc. Paul George has come of age surrounded by the likes of West, Hill, Hibbert, and Granger. Timing can mean everything.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing to do with Danny's proplem. Microfracture surgery has nothing to tendons or ligaments, it is about cartilage. Microfracture is suppose to kinda trick the body to regrow a cartilage like replacement. This is a very condensed explanation.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Banned

Interesting article that I found from before the season started:

Danny Granger talked about his knee and a few other topics about the team with a group of reporters at the Brickyard. A number of players plan to play paintball on Friday.

Q: What’s going on with the your knee?

A: Just taking it slow through training camp. I had an injury in my tendon or something that I flared up in the offseason working out. They put PRP (platelet rich plasma) in it (at the end of the summer), which is a way to help it heal better. I actually (injured my knee) toward the end of the Miami series. It was fine, but then I started training this summer and it got irritated, so we just slowed it down.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...about-his-knee

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that was brought up early on in the argument over whether this was an old injury or something recent.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think that was brought up early on in the argument over whether this was an old injury or something recent.
    I'm not sure, I thought it was important to post it because some people think that he has been rehabbing for only 3 months when in reality he has been rehabbing way longer than that(since last season ended).

Knowing the time that he got hurt is important so we know if he is recovering from the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm not sure, I thought it was important to post it because some people think that he has been rehabbing for only 3 months when in reality he has been rehabbing way longer than that(since last season ended).

Knowing the time that he got hurt is important so we know if he is recovering from the injury.
    If "rehabbing" is defined as "complete rest", it sounds like that is NOT what was happening since last season ended. They just "slowed it down", did PRP, and so forth. He was still working out.

No one argues they weren't working with an issue. They did not diagnose and rehab the tendinosis issue until a little over 3 months ago.

You really can't count time spent working it incorrectly against the 3-6 month prognosis for the tendinosis.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If "rehabbing" is defined as "complete rest", it sounds like that is NOT what was happening since last season ended. They just "slowed it down", did PRP, and so forth. He was still working out.

No one argues they weren't working with an issue. They did not diagnose and rehab the tendinosis issue until a little over 3 months ago.

You really can't count time spent working it incorrectly against the 3-6 month prognosis for the tendinosis.

Link? I'm pretty sure they knew what the diagnostic was.

Here is what Danny said, note the word "tendon" and PRP, they knew what was wrong.
    I had an injury in my tendon or something that I flared up in the offseason working out.They put PRP (platelet rich plasma) in it (at the end of the summer), which is a way to help it heal better.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

I am not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure from the articles and discussion that PRP is not and has never been a treatment for tendinosis. Knowing you have a tendon problem is no more the same as diagnosing tendinosis than knowing you have a shoulder problem is the same as diagnosing a broken collarbone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS