Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your opinion of the "brony" culture?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What is your opinion of the "brony" culture?

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a good perspective, Hicks.

I just find it hilarious that a bunch of grown men who have more likely gone to sports events dressed as their favorite players are denigrating teenagers for cosplaying.
    When I start photo shopping pictures of Roy Hibbert into bed with me then I think you can compare these things. Otherwise I think you are making a gigantic leap just to try and make a play at being on some kind of moral high ground.

A big part of being a "brony" is stuff like this. They take it way beyond just going to conventions. A lot of these dudes form "relationships" with these cartoon characters and they will photoshop them into pictures.

If it was just as simple as going to conventions and stuff, sure I could just consider it another subculture of nerd, but when people do stuff like the above that makes it another sort of something. I'm sure there may be people like this that do this sort of thing with Star Wars or Star Trek folks, etc. but that doesn't make it any less weird. And if there are people that do this sort of thing with their favorite athletes then that is just as weird.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-10-2013 at 03:18 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If these folks are so pathetically lonely that they need make-believe friends, why don't they do something constructive with their time? They could be volunteering at food kitchens, women's shelters, half-way houses. They'd be amazed how good they feel about themselves and the people (REAL people) they meet and help.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as these people aren't hurting anyone else or infringing on others' rights or breaking the law, then I do not care what they do.

Something I learned long ago: it's not right, it's not wrong...it's just different.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm not a nerd, I don't wear player jerseys, I'm not an star trek or Star Wars geek so I guess that is the reason why I don't get this stupid brony thing.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I start photo shopping pictures of Roy Hibbert into bed with me then I think you can compare these things. Otherwise I think you are making a gigantic leap just to try and make a play at being on some kind of moral high ground.

A big part of being a "brony" is stuff like this. They take it way beyond just going to conventions. A lot of these dudes form "relationships" with these cartoon characters and they will photoshop them into pictures.

If it was just as simple as going to conventions and stuff, sure I could just consider it another subculture of nerd, but when people do stuff like the above that makes it another sort of something. I'm sure there may be people like this that do this sort of thing with Star Wars or Star Trek folks, etc. but that doesn't make it any less weird. And if there are people that do this sort of thing with their favorite athletes then that is just as weird.
    All I said was dressing up at sports events = dressing up at cons. Not sure what you have to do with the unfortunate kids in those pictures. In regards those pics, I could just post http://www.fathead.com/nba/indiana-pacers/...

The main question is about fandoms, right? Sports fandom has been part of the masculine archetypal culture for a long time. The dress-up, the over-emotionality, the financial bankruptcy, all the things that go along with being a sports fan in many cases has been questioned over the course of time. However, since those questioners have traditionally been women, they were ignored. All the Trekkies, the wiggers, and the teenagers who have adopted Tumblr and animated television as their cultural guardians just copied the sports fans. The sports fans just copied the religions.

The point is that what you're saying used to be societally true. Non-sports fandoms were weird, and there was something inherently moral about sports, the way it teaches kids lessons, how good prevails, etc. But this just isn't the case anymore. PEDs broke that **** wide open; there's no lock for that Pandora's box anymore. Also, there's no such thing as alternative music, because other than a few songs every year, everything is alternative. The Internet makes it so that you are compelled to be part of a subreddit. Sure there are still outdoor kids and indoor kids, but the playing field has been leveled. Pretty soon, it's going to be way weirder to be wearing a Tapout shirt than a Star Wars shirt.

I'm not trying to be a dick and say that y'all need to get with the 21st century. It's just that the response to this particular meme wasn't, "Seems weird, not really my thing, but whatever." It was an immediate psychological distillation and, in a few cases, persecution (to the point of criminal labelling). That's what bummed me out and made me feel like calling everyone out.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can see what you're saying. I don't totally disagree to an extent. Like any other sort of past time or hobby, it's probably more about the extent to which you take it than the hobby itself.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: