View Poll Results: Foul on Paul Pierce last play of the game?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, it was a foul, and the Pacers should have had 2 free throws

    16 30.77%
  • Nope, it wasn't a foul, the game shouldn't be decided on that type of play.

    36 69.23%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66

Thread: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

  1. #51
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    350

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is not a trivial matter for a team fighting for a high playoff seed. The fact that they played a couple minutes of bad basketball which necessitated the NEED to force overtime means nothing.
    I disagree with you that a foul should have been called, but I agree with you that poor play should not somehow trump the refs' responsibility to make the right call.

    It's not about who to assign blame for the loss, it's about whether or not a key play was called correctly.

  2. #52
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realize that you are looking at this from a fan perspective, but it is just not a foul. Ask 100 beat writers on their opinion of whether that is a foul or not, and 95 or more will say it is not.
    Only 5 out of every 100 beat writers are familiar with the rules of the NBA?

    That is discouraging.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  3. #53
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with you that a foul should have been called, but I agree with you that poor play should not somehow trumps the refs' responsibility to make the right call.

    It's not about who to assign blame for the loss, it's about whether or not a key play was called correctly.
    Thank you for disagreeing without making it a mud slinging contest.

    Regardless of last night's example, I totally agree and just feel that any last second play should be called as if it were the first play of the game and the refs did not have the emotion of the flow and context of that game to use as a guide.

    If there is a foul, call the foul.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  4. #54
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you for disagreeing without making it a mud slinging contest.

    Regardless of last night's example, I totally agree and just feel that any last second play should be called as if it were the first play of the game and the refs did not have the emotion of the flow and context of that game to use as a guide.

    If there is a foul, call the foul.

    No need to play a victim. You obviously have the unpopular opinion here. I was just letting you know that you were judging the play incorrectly, and 95 out of 100 writers, who cover the NBA for a living, would agree with me.
    @qandrews9428

  5. #55
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No need to play a victim. You obviously have the unpopular opinion here. I was just letting you know that you were judging the play incorrectly, and 95 out of 100 writers, who cover the NBA for a living, would agree with me.
    Well, I could care less about the popularity of my opinion.

    I care about the record of the Indiana Pacers, which is now 3 games in the "L" column worse than it should be because of games like this.

    Further, I DEFINITELY don't care about this magic number pulled out of thin air of basketball reporters would apparently disagree with me.

    The same guys who were telling us to trade for Nash and MWP, right?

    What a joke.

    If you want to vehemently disagree with me, go for it.

    But there is no number you can pull out of your head that will convince me that Paul George was not fouled last night.

    Just like you cannot convince me Amir Johnson got that shot off in time.

    Because I am just a blind, homer fan? I'm sure it looks that way, and I don't care.

    No, it's because I SAW what happened, and closely analyzed it, and stand by my decision.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  6. #56
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    350

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Don't get me wrong... I like a good mud slingin' contest from time to time.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:


  8. #57
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    We lost the game with .5 seconds to go. There wasn't enough time on the clock to get a clean look on a catch and shoot. A well drawn up heave has the same % of going in as a poorly done oop lob.

    It's .5 seconds. Come on. Let's not blame the play call, that's not enough time to do anything on the court. .7? You might have something, but a half a second? No way.

  9. #58
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We lost the game with .5 seconds to go. There wasn't enough time on the clock to get a clean look on a catch and shoot. A well drawn up heave has the same % of going in as a poorly done oop lob.

    It's .5 seconds. Come on. Let's not blame the play call, that's not enough time to do anything on the court. .7? You might have something, but a half a second? No way.

    .5 is enough to catch and shoot, and certainly enough to catch a lob and dunk or lay it in.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  10. #59

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    I see PG pushing off with his arm and then I see PP retaliating with his backside and perhaps his arm as well. PP is stronger, so this contact-filled battle for position clearly went to PP. Since it was not completely one-sided contact I don't think it's a foul on either guy, in the 1st quarter of the game or in the last second of the game.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  11. #60
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see PG pushing off with his arm and then I see PP retaliating with his backside and perhaps his arm as well. PP is stronger, so this contact-filled battle for position clearly went to PP. Since it was not completely one-sided contact I don't think it's a foul on either guy, in the 1st quarter of the game or in the last second of the game.

    To me it appears as though PG is trying to get free of Pierce, which I suppose could be interpreted as a push off, but Pierce clearly grabs him going around the screen.

    Not to mention the actual alley oop, where he "Butts PG out" quite literally.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  12. #61
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .5 is enough to catch and shoot, and certainly enough to catch a lob and dunk or lay it in.
    Any defense worth a lick won't give up a look that's better than 20%, and that's a fairly clean look considering you're basically hot potatoing the ball. A good, set look coming off a screen takes more than half a second to get out of your hands.

    You can try an oop, sure. How often do those actually work? I'm not talking about getting the foul bailout either. They don't, unless you draw a foul.

  13. #62
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any defense worth a lick won't give up a look that's better than 20%, and that's a fairly clean look considering you're basically hot potatoing the ball. A good, set look coming off a screen takes more than half a second to get out of your hands.

    You can try an oop, sure. How often do those actually work? I'm not talking about getting the foul bailout either. They don't, unless you draw a foul.
    I'm not disagreeing with you.

    But PG *DID* draw a foul, hence the 18 hours of arguing since.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  14. #63
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,107

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Can't believe it's even being discussed. Quinn completely overreacted. That was perfect defense. Paul did little to even make it difficult on him defensively. He never established position/leverage far enough out from the basket to really make decent shot happen if a pass even gets to him.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  16. #64
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't believe it's even being discussed. Quinn completely overreacted. That was perfect defense. Paul did little to even make it difficult on him defensively. He never established position/leverage far enough out from the basket to really make decent shot happen if a pass even gets to him.
    I agree, it was fantastic defense until the moment that PG attempted to move towards the basket and jumped, but instead of getting cleanly into the air was butt bumped 4 steps backwards by Pierce.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  17. #65
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,348

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Perhaps this would've been a time to have Gerald Green in the game for a lob....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #66
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,071

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last play of the game, foul on Pierce or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps this would've been a time to have Gerald Green in the game for a lob....
    That's not a half bad idea, actually.

    Line PG and Gerald up on opposite sides of the court, get some cross-screen action going.

    Just crazy enough to work
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Similar Threads

  1. Rivers: Foul on Wade was legit, not 'punk play' [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM
  3. Celts' Pierce likely to play: 'That's all I want to do' [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
  4. Is Harrison Ready To Avoid Foul Play? {Pacers.com 10.5.06}
    By Frank Slade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 05:36 AM
  5. Pacers should have Pollard Flagrant foul Pierce
    By bread in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •