Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Celtic pride

Default Odd Thoughts: Celtic pride

As I type this somewhere somehow Paul George is still shooting three point shots and probably missing them.

I couldn’t have felt any worse at the end of this game if Paul Pierce had come into the stands and kicked me in the shin. Did we blow it? Did Boston cause us to blow it? Are we better than this? Are they really this good? All of this was swirling around in my head and ultimately I came to the decision that it really didn’t matter. It was what it was and now we just have to move on.

Hicks after the game said he felt that this was a fluke and that in a 7 game series he felt we could overcome the problems that plagued us tonight. I countered that this didn’t feel like a fluke to me and that the reason we were missing the shots we were taking is because we were taking the shots they were giving us (forcing us) to take. In other words he felt that our offense was the issue and could adjust and I felt that their defense was the issue and the problem was we couldn’t adjust.

But after reconsidering it I think it’s possible we could do better in a series with them but to do so we are going to have to have some major changes or we will lose in the first round 4-2.

Yes Paul George played offense as though he had gone to the World B Free School for shooters, if you’re in view of the basket your open. And yes David West was missing shots that on occasion he can hit (I’ll cover this more shortly) and Roy all but fouled out in the first quarter (well he played like he did anyway or better yet the rest of the team played like he did).

But to me this loss starts with the bench, now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying they were the only fault or even the main fault but games like this show that our starting unit basically has to provide every single point that we as a team are going to get because these guys can not be counted on for anything.

Orlando Johnson gets a pass here for two reasons, first he is a second round rookie so IMO anything short of 3 fouls you get from him is a bonus. Secondly he actually contributes and again tonight contributed. Now he also was standing near the Paul George aerosolized zone and caught the air born threepointitus bug. But he did drive a few times with success and he played hard nosed defense including but not limited to being totally screwed on that blocking call vs. Garnett because not only did he not foul him K.G. offensively fouled him by pushing off with his off hand.

But other than that? Mahinmi hasn’t been right for a few games now but you can always count on him. You can count on him to drop a perfectly catchable pass and like clockwork tonight was no different.

Tyler was just absolutely taking up space out there and not in the good defending the rim and boxing out kind of way. It’s a real problem because when he is off he is just absolutely horrible and we have to do everything in our power to try and either sustain a lead or not get buried when he is in there and then we have to rush West back into the game to save us. Sadly there are nights when he isn’t the savior either; tonight was one of those nights.

D.J. Augustine has been bad again; there is just no other way of putting it. He was just bad.

Sam Young may or may not be a victim here as he only got 4 min of play so it’s hard to fault him for much considering he came in hit a shot and drew a foul. But on the other hand if he were producing in the time on the floor he might get some more time.

I won’t even talk about Gerald Green. In fact we should make that a thing; we should never talk about Gerald Green because that contract is depressing.

Look it’s just one loss but damn does it feel like a 3 game losing streak, maybe that’s what happens when you get spoiled by winning like we have. On the other hand why in the name of God can we not get any distance between us and the Knicks? We had won 7 of our previous 8 games and this loss tonight dropped us below them in the standings.

I know that it’s just one loss though and we shouldn’t sweat it but I do believe I would really rather not play the Celtics in the playoffs. I still think a lot of our problems tonight was because they typically rope a dope us (old time Ali ref. for some of you younger fans) into taking crappy shots. They give you open low % shots and unless your name is Kyle Korver you really should not settle for the first open shot that comes your way because it’s not always the best shot.

Also this is the part I spoke to Hicks with about David West. Miami did the same thing to the Pacers in the playoffs last year, they didn’t match up LeBron James very often to him and they didn’t do well when they tried to put Haslam on him. When they succeeded was when they went to Battier on West and didn’t try and muscle him up. He used speed and leverage to throw West off and to give West open fade away jumpers. Now West certainly can hit those but they aren’t his best shot. The Celtics tonight did the same thing with Green and again West often settled for weak fade away shots that went off the back iron.

Also I’m still trying to figure out what we did wrong that kept leaving Jason Terry open for the corner three’s so often because normally that is not something we do.

I really wish we would not have had to bench Roy at the beginning of the game because he was on a personal mission to destroy the Celtics and it was working. But then he went out and when he came back he missed a couple and frankly we just didn’t even try to work it to him very often.

Oh well life goes on and we need to make certain that we don’t go down to Orlando again and lay another turd on their court like we did the last time. Damn I just now thought Danny is out a week so he won’t be available for either of these games this weekend.

Oh yea before I forget, remember when I said that the only thing worse than the lousy Bulls fans was the old Celtic fans. Well there were a crap load of them there tonight (btw another great home crowd that had to be near a sell out) but no, this group of Celtic fans are nowhere near what those old Bird fans were so therefore not even in the same hemisphere of what the Bulls fans are.

No grades, no bullet points and no good bad or ugly tonight. Just not feeling it.

On the other hand this video did make me smile a little.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Celtic pride

On league pass, it sounded like a neutral court. And it felt like the crowd was getting behind the Celtics when they were making their run. It was weird.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Was going to thank your post but you included a Harlem Shake video.

Sounds like a game not worth catching the replay of, which is convenient, since LPBB is broken. Lameness all around.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they are our opponents in the playoffs, then this was a good wakeup. You cannot play inefficiently against these guys and cruise to a win. Boston isn't dead until you cut the head off.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was going to thank your post but you included a Harlem Shake video.

Sounds like a game not worth catching the replay of, which is convenient, since LPBB is broken. Lameness all around.
    Yeah but did you watch all of it? You might like the way it ends.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

In my mind it was the offensive execution. No way an aging Terry & Pierce should be able to hold PG & Lance basically scoreless in the fourth quarter. Those guys have to be able to break them down and when the help comes make the smart pass that turns into the easy pass and ultimately a high percentage look. Too often PG trys to make the spectacular pass.

It is not all on the ball handlers though. The spacing looked horrible in the 4th quarter and it seemed like our screen game had no purpose and the Celtics could guard it with little effort. I thought it was November all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I won’t even talk about Gerald Green. In fact we should make that a thing; we should never talk about Gerald Green because that contract is depressing.
    Hate to turn your stomach more but it was mentioned during the broadcast Frank plans on giving Green another chance.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Hate to turn your stomach more but it was mentioned during the broadcast Frank plans on giving Green another chance.
    But Frank said this to reporters I think before the game. (keep in mind the pacers don't have much practice time left) I think if you read between the lines it means he ain't getting it done in practice.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...ch-Frank-Vogel

Pacers SG Gerald Green has played only 91 meaningless seconds in the past five games. Vogel said the fifth-year pro must prove his value. “We want him to work diligently and compete in practice to earn a spot back, not to wait for somebody else to fail,” the coach said. ...
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-07-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    In my mind it was the offensive execution. No way an aging Terry & Pierce should be able to hold PG & Lance basically scoreless in the fourth quarter. Those guys have to be able to break them down and when the help comes make the smart pass that turns into the easy pass and ultimately a high percentage look. Too often PG trys to make the spectacular pass.

It is not all on the ball handlers though. The spacing looked horrible in the 4th quarter and it seemed like our screen game had no purpose and the Celtics could guard it with little effort. I thought it was November all over again.
    I think the mistake you are making is disregarding the Celtics team defense. The Celtics trapped any pick and rolls, so that play was stopped before it started. They also pretty much zones us off the ball and forced us to take outside shots. We couldn't get the ball to Roy, West was effectively basically double teamed - more crowded, and the only passes that were open were across the court passes into the corner and the C's did a great job recovering. Plus we missed some makeable threes

This is the second game against the Celtics where their defense manhandled the Pacers, more than any other team I've seen this year. I would like to know what our efficiency was in the halfcourt, because I would guess it was as bad as it has been all season. Transition the pacers were effective and in delayed transition they were effective, but straight halfcourt, the Celtics defense in the second half dominated.

I found this interesting -

Rivers had drawn up a pick-and-roll for Garnett and Green, figuring the latter could use his speed against West, when assistant coach Armond Hill interrupted, and called for a play that had nearly worked in the first half.

“It’s great when you draw up a play, and the guys know the play and you hear them (say), ‘Yeah, this is a good one for us,’ ” said Rivers. “It doesn’t mean it’s going to work, but you know they’re going to run it with confidence. Right when we drew it up you could hear them — this is good. (The other players) told Kevin, ‘We had it in the first quarter and it was deflected. It was the exact same play. Don’t get it deflected.’ And when a group has confidence in it you have a chance that it’s going to work.”
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti...celts_go_green

Quote from Garnett

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/03...g0J/story.html

This is the one of the best teams in the league, they’re playing well and they’re playing well together,” Garnett said of the Pacers. “I thought all game they wanted to play bully ball. They were very firm and I thought we did a good job of adjusting to that firmness. As the game went on, we started to adjust, started to impose our will a little more. We hit shots and executed plays when we had to.”
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is a more general thought about Lance. It's probably wrong but this is how I feel currently.

Wish Frank wouldn't bench him at all in the second half like what he does with George. Lance may take some time in the game to get it going but when he does, he really helps us. He ups the tempo a lot, will score in a fast break, will spot the good pass for an easy basket. I feel that when he is benched to rest towards the third quarter and when he comes back in the 4th, he seems not so able to affect the game anymore like he used to before. It's like he struggles to get back in the game for whatever reason.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

No one can out execute Boston in the last 5 minutes of a close game except the Spurs. That is it. They run their sets very well both offensively and defensively. Pacers need to extend or at least maintain their double digit lead in the half of the third quarter, but unfortunately they let them off the mat and this is what happens when you do that against Boston. Also, the second half was probably one of the worst halves of basketball the Pacer's have played all year from about the 6 minute mark in the 3rd onward.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I know I've said this a few times, and I really, really like Frank, but how Tyler Hansbrough has kept his minutes for so long is mind boggling.

If Pendergraph had proven to be totally useless when he's been given a chance, I could kind of understand it. That's not the case.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm in a hurry so I haven't read all of the replies but the Pacers should never, ever, ever, NEVER shoot 27 three-pointers!

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Jason Terry trying to guard Paul is ridiculous. I don't care if they would have switched him over to Lance to hide. Put that shrimp in the post and make Boston react to what you're doing. I don't care if he resulted in a 13ft jumper by Paul. That's still a better look than anything they got.

So terribly disappointing. Have a 7-8inch height advantage with your All-Star, and don't even look at going there. Ugh.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I'm extremely disappointed that the Pacers lost this game. Having a 10 pt lead going into the 4th qtr only to score 13 pts in the 4th qtr doesn't get it. The Pacers were abusing the Celts in the paint in the 1st qtr with Hibbert. He had a double double b4 getting his 2 foul and Vogel taking him out. Hibbert was never an offensive presence again in the game. Some credit to the Celtics, but the Pacers just didn't do anything to get Hibbert in the game again.

DWest just couldn't get started and will his way on the Celtics. This hurt the Pacers thus forcing 3pt shot after 3 pt shot. 27 of them to be exact. The bench seems to be in a slumber as of late. I thought we had gotten past the no production from the bench, but apparently not. I cringe anymore when DJ takes a 3 pt shot. All he does is pound the air out of the ball then trys to get something going late into the shot clock. He use to be able to drive to the basket, but instead stands at the 3 point line. Unfortunately, he's not the only one. At times, you can see 3 players standing around waiting to take a 3.

I cringe when Mahinmi puts the ball on the floor as it will turn into a TO or a terrible shot. To me, he seems to start his move too far out and doesn't have the handles to accomplish what he's trying to do. Although he does have a better mid-range shot than Hansbro does, he needs to work on it more.

Paul George needs to tighten up his game by quiting the terrible passes he makes. It seems he has 3-5 TO every game anymore. He can't be doing this once the playoffs start.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 03-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No comment on the game (or the officiating crew for that matter), but I did see this on Twitter:

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Whoa! RT @CelticsPinas: This is NOT @[me]. http://twitpic.com/c9e2tw

By Celtics Pilipinas @CelticsPinas
    TwitPic @TwitPic · Follow

BillBradley getting all sorts of love between Twitter and the MegaTron last night.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Oh, and this makes me want to face Boston in the first round. If the Pacers are going to really challenge the Heat, they've got to be able to handle an aging Boston. They need to face someone who will make them better. I don't think playing ATL or the Nets really does that, in a way that translates over against Miami.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Oh, and this makes me want to face Boston in the first round. If the Pacers are going to really challenge the Heat, they've got to be able to handle an aging Boston. They need to face someone who will make them better. I don't think playing ATL or the Nets really does that, in a way that translates over against Miami.
    Beating the Celtics would also give us a lot of hype too, both nationally and locally, given that the Celtics have been so successful over the past five years. Eliminating the Celtics would do a lot more to get the casual local fans excited than beating an Orlando team without Howard did. Regardless, whoever we play is going to be tougher than the Orlando team without Howard. The first round will be tough this year.

Another good crowd last night.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Boston, New York, Miami.

That's the ideal path. If this team wants to be recognized nationally, it doesn't get better than that.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Undefeated

Thank you for this post. The Harlem Shake video was the best part about the game.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Boston, New York, Miami.

That's the ideal path. If this team wants to be recognized nationally, it doesn't get better than that.
    Yes it does. Why didn't you finish it.

Boston, New York, Miami, OKC
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post

Lance was given one chance in the fourth quarter to run the offense. He got a nice pass to West for a very open look around 15 feet. West missed.

That was about the best look we got in the fourth quarter. I know some disagree, but I think Lance is the best person on the team to run the offense when defenses really crank it up. If PG and Hill start getting it done, I won't complain, but the last few games have been frustrating.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yeah but did you watch all of it? You might like the way it ends.
    King Joffrey will have the heads any who praise an act of wolf-on-man violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes it does. Why didn't you finish it.

Boston, New York, Miami, LAL
    Better still.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel