Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

  1. #1

    Default Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Glad nothing happened... I get using a plane to go from Chicago to Indy its only 30 minutes as opposed to the 3 hour drive on I-65 otherwise..

    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...orrowing-rides

    Mark Cuban lends plane to Bulls

    A scary midair incident over the weekend had the Chicago Bulls borrowing airplanes to get around this week.

    On Saturday night, the Bulls were flying to Indianapolis for Sunday's game against the Pacers.

    More On The Bulls

    Can't get enough NBA news and notes? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Chicago Bulls. Blog

    "Apparently a compressor in engine No. 3 had some trouble, and it sounded like it exploded, but I guess it's like a jet engine backfire, which is very loud," Bulls radio analyst Bill Wennington said Monday on ESPN 1000's "Waddle & Silvy Show." "Sparks fly out of it. It happened actually right after ... the captain thrusts the engines forward and it revs up and starts to go, about three seconds after that you hear a 'Boom!' 'Oh, what was that, are we stopping?' The plane keeps going down [the runway] and you're thinking, 'Oh no, why aren't we stopping?'

    "It was funny, because we're in the back of the plane, and the engines are right by us, and we hear it. They can't hear it [in the front of the plane]. And apparently they couldn't feel anything. And so we take off fine, and about five minutes later, two more booms, 'Boom!, Boom!,' and a couple people saw flames and sparks and stuff flying out [while looking out of] the window. We're all thinking, 'Well, it's been nice.'"

    The plane turned around and landed back at O'Hare. The players were sent home and returned the next morning to fly to Indy on the Chicago Blackhawks' charter plane, which they used to return to Chicago after the game.

    "Honestly, it was really scary," Bulls television analyst Stacey King told "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on Tuesday. "We thought we were going to go down. And so they turned us back around and got us back to the airport. We made it back safely. ... So, thank God, we made it back and we were blessed to land safely.

    "After getting on the ground that night, I was ready to get on a bicycle and ride to Indy. I was shook for a little bit."

    King said the pilots did a good job of getting the plane back to the airport.

    "I'm not going to sit up here and lie, if I had a teddy bear, I probably would have been grabbing it," he said. "It was a frightening situation. Our pilots did a good job of getting us back down. You can fly with one engine. We had an extra engine, so they had two engines left. So we weren't in any kind of danger as far as doing a nose dive. Whenever you see flames come out of an engine, that's a little bit scary."

    Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban lent the Bulls the Mavs' plane to fly to San Antonio on Monday night and to return after Wednesday's game. Bulls forward Lou Amundson tweeted his appreciation to Cuban for the lift.

    "Our plane broke, @mcuban loaned us his, nice guy...," Amundson tweeted in the early hours of Thursday morning. Cuban later retweeted it.

    Wennington said there was no panic on the plane Saturday.

    "We turn around, everything was fine, other than that you wouldn't have known -- after the second boom the plane dropped and rattled a little bit -- but other than that you wouldn't have known anything was wrong, and we landed back safely," he said. "There's three engines on the plane, and everything was fine and it worked out, but while it's happening to you up there, and you're looking down and you're 10,000 feet in the air, you're thinking, 'Hmmmm.'

    "It was amazing how quiet it was. Everyone was pretty serious about it. Everyone remained pretty calm, but you can see a lot of faces of concern and a couple of Hail Marys going up, but other than that, no [panic]."

    The Bulls' plane is expected to be fixed and used for the rest of the season.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Hell nah. Id be pulling a royce white!
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    3 engines in the rear, what do they fly on?!? A DC-10? That's an OLD plane.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 engines in the rear, what do they fly on?!? A DC-10? That's an OLD plane.
    They haven't made 3 engine planes in like 15 years. C'mon, Bulls. Get your team a real plane.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    544
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Doris Burke was amazed at how Noah was able to return the plane safely, especially being as tired as he was logging heavy minutes.


    @Pacers24Colts12

  7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    I'm really glad they are ok. That would be horrific for me.

  9. #7
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    What is this, a small business? Last time I checked they were one of the most popular NBA teams, leading to many $$$. Come on now, get a good plane.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. #8

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hell nah. Id be pulling a royce white!
    I really cant say it any better than this. I was gunna try, but that sums it up and hits the point. LOL

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is this, a small business? Last time I checked they were one of the most popular NBA teams, leading to many $$$. Come on now, get a good plane.
    With Jerry Reinsdorf as the owner? Yes he does run it like a business and only in it to make money. Not a chance they get a nice plane on his watch he is so freaking cheap. He basically owns the Bulls to make money and the Whitesoxs are his "baby:. He basically owns the Bulls to pay his Whitesoxs. The fans deserve better no owner in the league should be so cheap when the team makes money. As an owner you should put damn near all the money the team makes back into the team and it is a shame he is stealing from the fans.

    If Herb Simon and the Pacers drew revenue like the Bulls I would be furious if he didn't go into the tax to improve the team. There is no excuse or how Reinsdorf runs his team. Sterling has always been considered cheap but I find what Reinsdorf much worse.


    He has never lost money any year while owning the Bulls in fact he makes above 50% profit most years. The Bulls year in and year out are the most profitable team in the league. Yet the owner refuses to pay the LT he is a terrible greedy owner. He is no Jerry Buss or Al Davis that is for sure.

  12. #10
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet the owner refuses to pay the LT he is a terrible greedy owner. He is no Jerry Buss or Al Davis that is for sure.
    They're paying the LT this year, and they'll be right up against it next season even after amnestying Boozer.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Cool on Mark Cuban for loaning his plane

  15. #12
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Jerry Reinsdorf as the owner? Yes he does run it like a business and only in it to make money. Not a chance they get a nice plane on his watch he is so freaking cheap. He basically owns the Bulls to make money and the Whitesoxs are his "baby:. He basically owns the Bulls to pay his Whitesoxs. The fans deserve better no owner in the league should be so cheap when the team makes money. As an owner you should put damn near all the money the team makes back into the team and it is a shame he is stealing from the fans.

    If Herb Simon and the Pacers drew revenue like the Bulls I would be furious if he didn't go into the tax to improve the team. There is no excuse or how Reinsdorf runs his team. Sterling has always been considered cheap but I find what Reinsdorf much worse.


    He has never lost money any year while owning the Bulls in fact he makes above 50% profit most years. The Bulls year in and year out are the most profitable team in the league. Yet the owner refuses to pay the LT he is a terrible greedy owner. He is no Jerry Buss or Al Davis that is for sure.
    I knew the Bulls owner owned a second team, and for some reason I thought it was the Blackhawks. That's why I was like... Why cant the Bulls have a similar plane if the Hawks' plane is taking them around...?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  16. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    I know in the NFL you can not own any other sports teams.

    I assumed that was standard for all leagues. Guess that is not correct.

    Interesting

  17. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're paying the LT this year, and they'll be right up against it next season even after amnestying Boozer.
    I thought they got under it this off season. The reason they let all the bench go was so they didn't have to pay the tax. I don't get letting the best bench in basketball walking when the teams draws so much revenue.


    I wonder if they will trade Nikola Mirotic. I bet they will try to sign him this season. If he doesn't sign this off season he doesn't have to get the rookie pay scale. I could see him getting a bigger contract than Pekovic(who was also a 1st rd pick) got when he came over after waiting out the rookie pay scale due to a buyout. Nikola needs the money to pay his buyout so I could easily see him getting MLE type money.

  18. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Nope. The LT is just over 70M and the Bulls salary is right around 73-74M, depending on which site. They have 77M locked up between 9 players next season. 15.3 goes to Boozer, Rip has an unguaranteed $5M. So even if both of those are let go, they're still at 57M with 7 players under contract. Gotta average less than 2M per player for the last 8 roster spots. They can do it, but it's gonna be an awfully short bench, or some players are going to have to sign some cheap contracts.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew the Bulls owner owned a second team, and for some reason I thought it was the Blackhawks. That's why I was like... Why cant the Bulls have a similar plane if the Hawks' plane is taking them around...?
    No, I wish I owned the Blackhawks though they make serious money and have a hardcap.



    "Basketball is a game. Baseball is a religion. Baseball is American." - Jerry Reinsdorf http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4609--nba.html

    Like I said he runs the Bulls just pay for his Soxs he invest so much money in the Whitesoxs. Yet refuses to do the same in the NBA. He should be spending like the Lakers on his current team. Letting Omer walk was unacceptable IMO when you have a team that good, that draws so much revenue you don't let the tax stop you.

    http://www.blogabull.com/2012/7/26/3...-the-2014-plan

    http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bu...dorf-is-cheap/

    Two good reads on the Bulls history of spending or lack there of.

  21. #17
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,283

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know in the NFL you can not own any other sports teams.

    I assumed that was standard for all leagues. Guess that is not correct.

    Interesting
    Tell that to Paul Allen and Tom Benson.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell that to Paul Allen and Tom Benson.
    Am I dreaming up where I read that rule?

    I swear I did.

    and I vaguely remember it being about Snyder. Maybe I am confusing sports. Or maybe it is a really old rule

  24. #19
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    At least we finally know why the Pacers were able to beat them.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #20
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 engines in the rear, what do they fly on?!? A DC-10? That's an OLD plane.
    I'm sure its an older plane, but probably a renovated 50-seater or narrow-body, not a wide-body like a DC-10.

    EDIT - here you go, an old 727 gas guzzler.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk99jNdSMXQ
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  26. #21
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure its an older plane, but probably a renovated 50-seater or narrow-body, not a wide-body like a DC-10.

    EDIT - here you go, an old 727 gas guzzler.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk99jNdSMXQ
    And another one...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMjZQOOp9g

    Images (from Cleveland). Looks like the Rockies may use this jet in the summer.

    Last one...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/md11forever/6849360502/



    http://www.opshots.net/gallery2/inde...J0IEF2aWF0aW9u
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  27. #22
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And another one...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMjZQOOp9g

    Images (from Cleveland). Looks like the Rockies may use this jet in the summer.

    Last one...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/md11forever/6849360502/



    http://www.opshots.net/gallery2/inde...J0IEF2aWF0aW9u
    I was looking for more info on this plane and found this on flight tracker, kinda funny:



    Not a DC-10 but that is still and OLD plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  28. #23
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    I see a lot of people knocking the Bulls private plane but... do the Pacers even have a private plane?

    I was under the impression that they fly commercial flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  29. #24
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,283

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see a lot of people knocking the Bulls private plane but... do the Pacers even have a private plane?

    I was under the impression that they fly commercial flights.
    They have a chartered jet that they take every road trip. Their flight number does not change (not sure on the tail number though).
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Similar Threads

  1. 'Scary' plane incident has Bulls borrowing rides [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
  2. Bulls fans shot in Philly after postgame incident [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
  4. Bad day: Bulls' Noah cited in separate incident [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
  5. Scary Incident
    By sweabs in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •