Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Granger News

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Updated Granger News

Reevaluate him in a week?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/grang...evaluated-week

The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that forward Danny Granger had an MRI that showed no new damage on his sore left knee. After consulting with team medical personnel, Granger will rest and receive continued treatments on the knee. He will be re-evaluated in a week.

Last edited by boombaby1987; 03-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    @qandrews9428

Default Re: Granger's Injury is making me nervous..

Uh, it also said they gave him an MRI and saw no new damage. This is good news. You might edit this thread to edit the title of it to make it more clear that you have the news in here; it's currently vague.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He is already out after only playing a handful of games. I don't think this can be deemed good news.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is already out after only playing a handful of games. I don't think this can be deemed good news.

From what I've seen in other threads it would depend on which side of the fence you stand on with Granger.
    When I read that the MRI showed now new damage this sounds like a positive to me and good news. I think it's just a process that he'll have to go through until he works his way back into the lineup full time as a starter.
    I'm not saying you are but some people seem to want to find anything negative they can to support their already determined position that Granger is through and he needs to go.
    I'd rather see him return to 30 minutes right away but as long as the Vogel says "they're no where near considering shutting Granger down and he doesn't think they'll have to" which he did say yesterday, then I'm not too concerned yet. The clock is ticking but there's still time to get Granger back into the lineup. We'll know in a few weeks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Updated Granger News

Like I said in the other thread, I feel like if he was still day to day, that would be a positive. But the fact that he now has to sit out a whole week, and then they will reevaluate makes it seem like bad news to me. Not to mention, a week by no means is the maximum. He well then have to start practicing again, and basically start the process all over again with a shorter time frame.
    @qandrews9428

9. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I doubt they take him back to the practice steps of the process. They've figured out he can handle that level of stress on his knee. I bet he's put on a more conservative time limit if anything really changes in the approach. And definitely no more b2b.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Love the guy as a player, but time to retire maybe. Pacers can't be holding on to the ghost of Danny Granger.
    I hope the are trying to get Gerald Green ready for another go at it. We need his athleticism on the bench.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I doubt they take him back to the practice steps of the process. They've figured out he can handle that level of stress on his knee. I bet he's put on a more conservative time limit if anything really changes in the approach. And definitely no more b2b.
    It's hard to know if Practice or a game is the direct cause of the issue. Probably a combination of both.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Love the guy as a player, but time to retire maybe. Pacers can't be holding on to the ghost of Danny Granger.
    I hope the are trying to get Gerald Green ready for another go at it. We need his athleticism on the bench.
    Granger is not going to retire with a guaranteed 14 million on the table next season.
    @qandrews9428

15. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

+1
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Granger is not going to retire with a guaranteed 14 million on the table next season.
    Doesn't he get it anyways? We paid Reggie Miller during retirement. If I recall.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Doesn't he get it anyways? We paid Reggie Miller during retirement. If I recall.
    I don't know enough about it. Here's what Larry Coon has to say.

61. What are the rules for retired players? What if the player suffers a career-ending injury?

There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player can still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams. For example, guard Jason Williams signed with the LA Clippers in August 2008, then changed his mind the following month, announcing his retirement. He applied for reinstatement in early 2009, but his request was denied by a vote of 24-6. Williams later signed with the Orlando Magic once the one-year anniversary of his retirement announcement had passed.

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion on the one-year anniversary of the last game in which the player played1. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The determination as to whether an injury or illness is career ending is made by a physician jointly selected by the league and players association. The determination is based on whether the injury or illness will prevent the player from playing for the remainder of his career, or if it is severe enough that continuing to play constitutes a medically unacceptable risk.

If the injury exclusion is granted, the player's salary is removed from the team salary effective:

If the player played 10 or more games1 that season, on the one-year anniversary of the player's last game.
    If the player played fewer than 10 games1 that season, 60 days after his last game, or the one-year anniversary of his last game in the previous season, whichever is later.
    If the player "proves the doctors wrong" and resumes his career, then his salary is returned to the team salary when he plays in his 25th game1 in any one season, for any team. This allows a player to attempt to resume his career without affecting his previous team unless his comeback is ultimately successful. If the 25th game was a playoff game, then the player's salary is returned to the cap effective on the date of the team's last regular season game (i.e., the returned salary counts toward the luxury tax).

There are a few additional nuances to the salary exclusion:

If the player resumes his career and his salary is returned to the team salary, the team can re-apply for the salary exclusion under the same rules (including the rules for the waiting period).
    If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.
    A team cannot apply for this salary exclusion if they have applied for a Disabled Player exception (see question number 25) that season, whether the exception was granted or not.
    If this salary exclusion is granted, the team cannot re-sign or re-acquire the player at any time.
    This salary exclusion can be used when a player dies while under contract.
    @qandrews9428

20. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    It's hard to know if Practice or a game is the direct cause of the issue. Probably a combination of both.
    I don't think it's coincidence that it happened during the first half of a b2b.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

We just have to pray and hope Danny can come back and help for the playoffs.

Our team even without Danny is really really good. If Danny doesn't come back this team is still a championship contender. The bench hasn't been great, but Ian, Tyler, OJ, and sometimes DJ have been pretty decent.

Would it be nice if Danny came back and could contribute? Of course! As frustrated as we are, Danny is probably frustrated way moreso.

This team is a championship contender, and after having gone thru all those years on those crappy teams, you know Danny is doing everything he can to come back and help the team. But he probably wants to make sure he is helping the team and not hurting it. The only way he's going to be able to do that is to be somewhat pain free.

We have a GREAT training staff. They really have been great these past two years, so I believe whatever they do is for the best. If Danny is meant to come back, he will, and if not, this is still a championship contender. So enjoy the team on the court and stop fretting about Danny.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

For some reason I keep forgetting about Sam Young. He was pretty good for the Grizz in the playoffs two seasons ago so while I know he isn't the spark off the bench he can be decent in the tightened playoff rotation.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    For some reason I keep forgetting about Sam Young. He was pretty good for the Grizz in the playoffs two seasons ago so while I know he isn't the spark off the bench he can be decent in the tightened playoff rotation.
    And he can guard players like Pierce, Mello and Lebron fairly well. Very possible we face all three of those players in the playoffs. And while we are being positive, he would help us with Durant in the Finals as well.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    +1
    shows how quickly and baselessly people's opinions switch around here... really? gerald green? the player everyone wants to ship off for a bag of chips?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Granger may end up shutting it down for the season. If he can't handle a few games, how is he suppose to survive the playoffs? If he does come back, sounds like there is no chance of him being 100%.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

sav

Did you forget to color your post green?

Any call for more burn for Green really deserves to be in green.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

lol Granger having to sit out is not good news! Lol he was suppose to come back and come off the bench for a bit and integrate him into the starting line-up. We already saw that he is gonna need some time to get back into rhythm. So how is it that him sitting out only after a few games back a good thing? lol some you got nerves

Here's the biggest problem with the Granger situation: Uncertainty. Who really knows their role with the possibility Granger might come back and change it? And if he does come back will it be on a continual limited basis or game by game decisions?

Meanwhile, front office uncertainty can lead to bad planning. Do you count on Granger or do you trade or sign players with the idea that Granger is going to play at some point? We already let the trade deadline pass without apparently making any real attempts to do anything because we had an 'all star' to add to the lineup already...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

As someone who has suffered from unexplainable, chronic knee issues for years, I've honestly been waiting for this.

The Pacers have a better medical staff than I could ever dream of having access to, and Danny has a great work ethic and is no doubt working VERY hard to get back.

But it's just impossible for me to be optimistic about these types of injuries, for me or anyone else. Life has taught me that lesson harshly.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but at this point, I am just assuming that things will be status quo (not playing) or worse (out for the year or longer) until they miraculously prove me wrong.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

38. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I think, if nothing else, this set back solidifies what everyone's roles will be if Granger makes it back. I can't imagine him moving back into the starting line up at this late stage of the season, so the starting 5 is now set. His role will be with the 2nd unit, and the rotation will remain basically the same, with Granger contributing if/where he can.

Thank goodness, no more talk about him taking Lance's spot in the line up!

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

I wasn't buying him coming back this season to begin with. An injury that knocks you out for months, but no surgery is involved? Yeah, I'm not betting money on someone coming back from that, sorry.

When I saw they put him in for a few minutes (his first game back), I was surprised. And then I watched him play. He did not belong out there at all. So I'm not surprised to hear that his non surgically repaired knee didn't miraculously heal itself. And I don't believe he'll be ok for the playoffs, though I'd love to be wrong. This team has done just fine without him, as much as I'd like to see how this team would play with a healthy Granger. It may well never happen.

Why do you need athleticism on the bench? All you do is sit there.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post: