Thread: Something I've wondered about

Default Something I've wondered about

It’s Christmas break for this Pacer fan, and I can finally sit down and collect my thoughts. I’m one of those Iowa State fans who became a Pacer fan with Jamaal Tinsley’s arrival. I love this board and don’t think I have the story until one of the regulars here sums up the game. I get to watch whatever Pacer game comes on TV, usually for the Bulls games, what a disappointment. I finally got to watch one when the Detroit incident happened. Like everyone here, we’re thinking we could go all the way up to that moment. I still see nothing that warrants Artest losing the whole season. I still see him going up to confront the fan, then being held and pummeled by the crowd and even when he returns to the court and the fan confronts him, he puts his foremarms up in a defensive gesture. The idiot had no place being there.

My hopes have been up and down since, gratified to see Tinsley & the others develop, but now feel his frustration that without Artest, there is no silver lining and no happy ending. Defense is gone and we are all about whether the shots fall and when they don’t we are done. I did get to see the last Bulls game and maybe they are much better, but I’m thinking, Reggie, hit a shot, just one for God’s sake. They’re trying to give us this game. Tinsley is trying to pass the ball, but no one is putting it in the hole, so he tries to do what he thinks will help the team win and it’s not enough. I think it’s all coming to a reality in his mind. JO might be back, but without Artest will they ever have the defensive intensity to win anything?

The one question that has rattled around in my mind that no one has discussed. Would we be so down on Artest, if he had not had the audacity to mention the week before the Detroit incident that there might be more to life than basketball? If that incident does not go public, would be so ready to trade him? Do all his good deeds get forgotten because he for a moment fails to live up to our expectations that nothing is more important than the Pacers march to a championship? Forget that he comes back after thumb surgery in 5 games when others sit for weeks, and that he through his generosity will really be hurt by the loss of income? This is a guy that was making great strides on the floor to maintain his composure and part of that might have been him getting his life in balance. A year of reflection should certainly convince him where basketball belongs in his life. There are a lot of folks that Ron has helped through the years that are feeling the economic impact. Maybe I feel the most regret for them.

Most of all I feel for us that are starting to realize than we don’t have a defensive presence on the floor anymore to help us when the shots aren’t falling, and that this season might truly be just another maybe make it to the playoffs, but no further. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands, but I wondered whether your feelings about Artest would be radically different if we had not had the time off for music promotion in your mind before the brawl?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Something I've wondered about

Only speaking for myself... I've been done with him since before the Pacers even traded for him. As a Pacers fan that was transplanted to Chicago while Ron was still here, I knew what he was all about even before the trade and he has continuously proved my fears correct.

I even tried to 'get over it' last season and just focus on his on-the-court play. But no matter how good it is, I just won't be convinced that it outweights the 352 gazillion negative things he brings to the team.

So take that for what it's worth, but I do think quite others were 'done' with him after his off-court and on-court meltdowns in last season's playoffs.

EDIT

Oh, and , btw.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Was done with Ron from last season.
    Asking for a month off just sealed it.
    The beer cup incident just tied an anchor to it.

Mood

I was weary of him by this summer. After the whole thing involving "conduct detrimental to winning", I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I even tried to 'get over it' last season and just focus on his on-the-court play. But no matter how good it is, I just won't be convinced that it outweights the 352 gazillion negative things he brings to the team.
    352 gazillion negative things...?? Don't exaggerate! Let's have some perspective. It's barely half that!!

-Bball

ReGgieMiLLeR31

You are all so eager to "give up on Ron". Without Ron, we have no chance to win a title. We have made Ron stronger as a person and you have to understand what happened in Detroit, he did not instigate it; he got assaulted first. This incident will make Ron stronger and he will be back either this season or next...but he will be back to help us win a title. You are so eager to keep "Croshere" who has done nothing but get rid of Ron who is one of the best players in the entire NBA.