Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He helped fix the mainstream media by giving the other side of the political spectrum a voice in a world that was, at the time, a left-wing circle-jerk echo chamber. If he can do that for mainstream news, then I have total faith that he can bring good things to the world of sports news.
    Nonsense. The mainstream non Fox News media is hardly liberal. Do you even watch shows like Face the Nation and Meet the Press?

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    but every other network out there is bias to the left.
    That just isn't true. Do you even watch NBC, ABC, CBS and their news coverage?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait, what?

Are you arguing the other side of Fox News is not far reaching to the left?

For crying out loud, MSNBC is a joke even to my hard core liberal friends.

I think the whole "media is left leaning" thing is overplayed by some in this country, but I also think there is some truth to it as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Wait, what?

Are you arguing the other side of Fox News is not far reaching to the left?

For crying out loud, MSNBC is a joke even to my hard core liberal friends.

I think the whole "media is left leaning" thing is overplayed by some in this country, but I also think there is some truth to it as well.
    On msnbc, you know when someone's sharing a liberal opinion. Hannity and rush(not fox) tell there followers what to think even when they know its untrue. Its where the ignorant get there talking points "opinions". Racheal Maddow will never pretend she isn't a very progressive thinker however, she won't lie to you. You get the news with typically left leaning commentary, but you do get the actual news unlike fox and freinds.

Intelligent conservatives know fox news is manipulative and dishonest. They also know it helps their party get elected.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Racheal Maddow will never pretend she isn't a very progressive thinker however, she won't lie to you.
    Uh, here's one example (out of many) that says otherwise.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...ve-budget-sur/

I'll slink back into the shadows now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

OK, that is enough of political talk. Anymore posts that contain political talk will be deleted.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I want a sports network with some journalistic integrity. We see it over and over and over again why ESPN has none.

one example:

My wife is a writer. When the whole Manti Te'o story broke, as a journalist she was amazed by something that most people including me ignored. The take-home message should have been in part about BAD SPORTS JOURNALISM.

summary: ESPN had reported on Te'o grieving his "girlfriend's" (non)death. The reporter doing the story actually tried to find newspaper accounts of her death. No luck. He looked into the existence of any reports of her supposed car accident months before. No luck. Since the story said she was a volleyball player, he looked for a volleyball player by that name at Stanford. No luck.

So after doing some fact-checking (taking maybe about 15 minutes on google, these days!), they found no facts to support anything. The logical conclusion? Something is wrong here!

Did that matter? Nope. Report it and move on, and if If proved wrong, certainly don't apologize for anything.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 03-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Now we just need something to challenge MTV. LMAO!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Now we just need something to challenge MTV. LMAO!!!
    I find staring at my wall for hours on end to be a worthy challenge to MTV.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bshall View Post
    This can be good for small markets imo if FOX decides to cater to them more than ESPN does. It will get us coverage from FOX and then when ESPN loses a chunk of their viewers they might have to step up and cover them as well.
    That's kind of like saying "Boy, I hope the new network covers the Mountain West and MAC in college football instead of the Big Ten and SEC."

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    That's kind of like saying "Boy, I hope the new network covers the Mountain West and MAC in college football instead of the Big Ten and SEC."
    Not what I was saying. I know they are going to cover LA, Boston, Chicago, etc. But spreading the love to the smaller markets would be a way to cut into ESPN's viewers, at least I would start watching FOX or whoever. I just don't see how they're going to challenge ESPN if they are going to target the same viewers in the same markets.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Nonsense. The mainstream non Fox News media is hardly liberal. Do you even watch shows like Face the Nation and Meet the Press?
    I laughed. Nicely played. It's good to see that some people still have a sense of humor and can make intentionally hilarious statements just to squeeze a chuckle out of others. You're a good man, hoosierguy.

In the off chance that you were being serious, here's a list of therapists in Indiana. Please seek help immediately.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not what I was saying. I know they are going to cover LA, Boston, Chicago, etc. But spreading the love to the smaller markets would be a way to cut into ESPN's viewers, at least I would start watching FOX or whoever. I just don't see how they're going to challenge ESPN if they are going to target the same viewers in the same markets.
    ...because those are the markets that will make them money?

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...because those are the markets that will make them money?
    They aren't going to just steal the already satisfied big market viewers from ESPN....

They aren't going to just steal the already satisfied big market viewers from ESPN....
    ....you're missing the part where I said, "that's how they make money."

Going after smaller markets, as shags said, is like trying to profit by locking up the TV rights to division-III conferences. There is simply not enough money to make there to turn a significant profit.

If all of Indiana watched the FOX channel, and all of New York watches ESPN, ESPN wins.

remember the fox sports local sports report shows? Yeah, those hemorrhaged money.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-06-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Good. I wish them luck.
    I don't. I will never tune in. I don't like what Fox and Rupert Murdoch stand for. I won't watch and contribute to any money going in that hypocrites pocket. But that is just me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ....you're missing the part where I said, "that's how they make money."

Going after smaller markets, as shags said, is like trying to profit by locking up the TV rights to division-III conferences. There is simply not enough money to make there to turn a significant profit.
    I just suggested they spread their coverage more than ESPN in order to build a base viewership. They can get just about any Indy viewer to watch their stuff if it isn't a Lakers slobber fest for an hour.

I don't see how FOX will be able to come close to competing in big markets with ESPN, who already has an insane following and a very high quality product. How do they make up for that? Spread the coverage around more to places like Indy where we won't care about the lesser quality of product because we we're hardly being covered in the first place by ESPN.

I want to be clear, spreading the coverage does not mean abandoning New York and LA, that's just stupid. A little balance is what I think makes them competitive.

I just suggested they spread their coverage more than ESPN in order to build a base viewership. They can get just about any Indy viewer to watch their stuff if it isn't a Lakers slobber fest for an hour.

I don't see how FOX will be able to come close to competing in big markets with ESPN, who already has an insane following and a very high quality product. How do they make up for that? Spread the coverage around more to places like Indy where we won't care about the lesser quality of product because we we're hardly being covered in the first place by ESPN.
    FOX historically has tried to reach the lowest common denominator. Take sports and add in strippers and stand-up comedy. They try to bill themselves as the everyman's sports network, and casts espn as a bunch of boring suits that never have any fun.

They cover the same stories espn does, but they'll do it with a playboy playmate giving her take on the Dwight Howard trade, and then follow up with a comedy segment from larry the cable guy. That's their way of giving the guy in Mississippi a reason tune in.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Did you note my new favorite team? Ha, ha, ha....... It was truly tasteless to cut down the nets after a loss. Can you imagine a Bobby Knight team ever doing that. Yeah, IU is all class, third class.....

I understand exactly what you're saying, bshall.

KStat and shags are both committing the false dichotomy fallacy, wherein, FOX Sports must choose between either big-market or small-market coverage. Reality is, they can, and almost certainly will, cover both.

What bshall is actually saying is that he'd like the network to spend less time covering big markets, and more time on smaller markets. If ESPN 's coverage is currently 80/20, then FOX could go with, say, 60/40. He's not saying they should give up big-market coverage completely, or even make it a minority of their coverage.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they go more towards the Gametime style analysis that NBATV has, I'll be a happy camper.

Then again, I liked Best Damn Sports Show Period....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

HC

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    As long as they focus on sports, and not try to sensationalize everything, I will watch. ESPN is becoming WWE. Hiring Jonathan Coachman and Todd Francis proves me correct. ESPN is more interested in the story angles than the actual games
    Todd Grisham? He actually isn't on good terms with WWE anymore.
    PSN: bhm184

I wanted to add one more thing about ESPN. I think the reason people are so disgusted with ESPN is because it really has a chance to be great and yet they shoot themselves in the foot constantly. They have so much talent but give some of their most important positions to really lazy, untalented people. It's that squandered potential that makes ESPN so frustrating.

Fox Sports will be terrible, I'm sure, just because almost everything Fox produces for television is terrible (Not a comment on their politics, just the quality of the programming which has nothing to do with their ideology). I won't watch Fox Sports and won't think twice about it because there's no way it can't NOT be bad, but ESPN will continue to be disappointing because I know they can do better.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I don't. I will never tune in. I don't like what Fox and Rupert Murdoch stand for. I won't watch and contribute to any money going in that hypocrites pocket. But that is just me.......

So do you ignore the Super Bowl when it's on FOX every three years? Do you ignore the NFC Championship every year? Do you ignore all of the other big NFL games that they broadcast throughout the regular season? You're a fellow Yankee fan, but did you not tune in to any of the recent World Series championships that were played on FOX?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So do you ignore the Super Bowl when it's on FOX every three years? Do you ignore the NFC Championship every year? Do you ignore all of the other big NFL games that they broadcast throughout the regular season? You're a fellow Yankee fan, but did you not tune in to any of the recent world series championships that were played on FOX? I call mega BS on you ignoring Fox.
    OlBlu is a troll who (legitimately) believes that big foot shot JFK as part of a government conspiracy. Arguing with him can be hazardous to your health. Be prepared to lose many braincells.