Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 104

Thread: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

  1. #51
    Member Merz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,087
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    I just hope they don't bring those stupid robotic cyborg crap graphics from the NFL on Fox to their main sports network. That stuff is so incredibly dated. It isn't 1993 anymore.

    Edit - totally didn't see this before my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion, Fox has the worst NFL coverage of all the networks with football (see: stupid dancing robot).
    ...and I completely agree.
    Last edited by Merz; 03-06-2013 at 01:05 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    NBC is generally the best at sports, which is ironic because they suck horribly at everything else.

    If they treated their prime time programming with half the dignity they treated the NBA and the NFL, they wouldn't be a total disaster right now.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-06-2013 at 05:38 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,918

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm an independent moderate. I can't stand FOX New's BS. Or MSNBC's BS. And most of the media is left-leaning, which IMO is not a great thing at all, either. I'm sure a lot of liberals do hate FOX News because it promotes the Republican platform, but it's also because of a lot of crap they shovel, too. This isn't the thread or the board to dive deep into this, but I felt compelled to speak up at least once because of the absolutist/black-white/us-vs-them attitude of this post.

    That having been said, to be on topic I don't feel like the local FOX Sports network seems to be bad at all, so if the national version keeps up the solid work, I think they will be a good addition to cable packages and hopefully force ESPN to try harder.
    Agreed for the most part

    ironically i find myself getting more news from a bit of print media ( or the WAPO online) and a lot from electronic means like twitter.

    I hardly ver have CNN/MSNbC/FOX NEWS on

  6. #54
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    I could hardly care less about any sports network that starts up unless they are actually good at BROADCASTING THE GAMES. I don't usually bother to tune in and listen to what angle ESPN is shoving down everyone's throat for the day. I only watch when the games are on. And if Sunday's broadcast of the Pacers/Bulls is what is to be expected in the future by any sports network, then I will have to mute my TV. I mean is it common for the freaking color guy (girl in this case) to leave the table and go interview the coaches between quarters? It was like ESPN just didn't even give a ***** about this game.

  7. #55
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    What happened to the good ol' days with Bob Ley? Ironically, that was before my time.

    I am honestly all for this Fox sports network. Anything to provide competition to ESPN should be a win for the fans. When the mainstream network is Kobe this, LeBron James that, Tim Tebow still did nothing today, Skip Bayless' mindless rants, among other things, it just gets annoying and unwatchable. In many ways, ESPN's coverage is like the NBA: if you have no superstar, you don't get airtime, or in the NBA's case, calls in games. It is all about the big name players, and since the Pacers don't have a top 10 player in the league, we don't get much national recognition (although that is changing quickly, and I am really starting to like that we get a little bit of attention) and frankly it's frustrating as a fan to never see your team on a national network. Or, whenever they are on a national network, the coverage of your team is what the other team did wrong.

    Then, you have the completely biased announcers. I know our guy is Chris, Quinn and Austin are all biased for the Pacers, but at least they admit when the call is wrong but it went in the favor of the Pacers. They are not quite homers, but at least they provide a little bit of analysis for both teams. This is something ESPN has failed to do in this new set of announcers, specifically when we are playing against a team with a big-name player. Although, that big-name player did not always get the recognition, case in point, Sunday nights Joakim Noah lovefest by Doris Burke.

    I am not counting on the Pacers getting ESPN recognition in the near future, at least to the extent of any team with a star. I mean, look at what the Spurs have done. They are not in a big name city, and they have two stars with one future Hall of Famer at the very least. They've had one of the most successful runs ever over the last decade, and yet, they still don't hardly ever get any recognition on ESPN.

    I guess that is the end of my rant. I hope ESPN becomes more centralized for every team, but I'm not counting on it. For now, I will stick with NBA TV for my NBA coverage.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  8. #56
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    The overall reaction to this is hilarious.

    Hey, it's another sports station, and it's not owned by ESPN! I hate ESPN, so this must be better!

    Remember their answer to Sportscenter on Fox Sports? It was called Best Damn Sports Show Period, and it was basically Sportscenter mixed with The Man Show.

    Anyone that thinks ESPN sensationalizes everything has apparently never seen Fox Sports outside of basic NBA broadcasts. Have none of you ever seen Fox's NFL Sunday morning show? Seriously?

    I'm all for competition; just don't expect FOX to go the other way. If anything, they will try to out-ESPN ESPN. That's what FOX does. Sports with comedians, strippers and rednecks. Occasionally, they will bring in Tonya Harding and try to combine everything at once.

    I'm not kidding about Tonya Harding. She was on the show, too.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-06-2013 at 07:49 AM.

  9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  10. #57
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,222

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    It should be a rousing success if they stick to televising sports...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  11. #58
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,794
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm an independent moderate. I can't stand FOX New's BS. Or MSNBC's BS. And most of the media is left-leaning, which IMO is not a great thing at all, either. I'm sure a lot of liberals do hate FOX News because it promotes the Republican platform, but it's also because of a lot of crap they shovel, too. This isn't the thread or the board to dive deep into this, but I felt compelled to speak up at least once because of the absolutist/black-white/us-vs-them attitude of this post.

    That having been said, to be on topic I don't feel like the local FOX Sports network seems to be bad at all, so if the national version keeps up the solid work, I think they will be a good addition to cable packages and hopefully force ESPN to try harder.
    Im glad that someone found a nice, respectful way to say this because I never could have. Fox News may be bias towards the right, but every other network out there is bias to the left. Pretty much all of us are being spoonfed what we want to hear, people just hate Fox because they do it better.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  12. #59
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,438

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have to disagree a bit here. I don't doubt Fox will be super popular, especially if they can localize their programming with local games. But you're also predicting they'll have better programming, which I'm not so sure about. In my opinion, Fox has the worst NFL coverage of all the networks with football (see: stupid dancing robot). NBC Sunday Night is by far the best, and probably the best produced sports program on TV right now.

    I'm not saying Fox Sports won't be popular, but I really doubt they're gonna blow away ESPN in quality.
    I agree that NBC Sunday Night Football is the best. Everything about that production is top notch. Is it just me, or does the HD on SNF look better than the other stations?

    I've always wondered what the hell the point of that Fox robot was.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  14. #60
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,438

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NBC is generally the best at sports, which is ironic because they suck horribly at everything else.

    If they treated their prime time programming with half the dignity they treated the NBA and the NFL, they wouldn't be a total disaster right now.
    It's hard to believe that this is the same network that gave us "The Cosby Show", "Cheers", "Seinfeld", "Frasier", "ER", "Law and Order" (originals), etc. NBC's prime time used to be head and shoulders above everyone else, but its been horrible lately. Everything about Sunday Night Football is fantastic aside from the promos for crappy NBC shows.

  15. #61

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    .......I kindof like the robots.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:


  17. #62
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone that thinks ESPN sensationalizes everything has apparently never seen Fox Sports outside of basic NBA broadcasts. Have none of you ever seen Fox's NFL Sunday morning show? Seriously?


    I read a quote from someone with FOX in one of the online articles this morning that indicates Fox NFL Sunday is their model for what they will do. I haven't watched it in years but when I did it always seemed more entertainment than what ESPN, CBS or NBC did on Sundays. So I agree with you, chances are FOX will try to go in that direction
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.

  18. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    If is going to be as great as Fox News I hope they fail.

  19. #64
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,485

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    More competition the better I think, market will decide. Ya, I think Foxnews is funny, I'd never go there if there was a serious thing going on, thats just me. Everyone else has the right to watch it and I also have the right to fun of you for doing so. Not sure why there's any argument, otherwise, isn't it better to always have more on the menu to choose from?

  20. #65

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Who seems more similar to Bill O'Reilly/Glen Beck: Bill Simmons/Bob Costas, or Skip Bayless/Stephen A. Smith? Take a wild guess which direction Fox will take their sports news channel.

    There is one glimmer of hope here: Fox gives huge contracts to Bayless and Smith to steal them from ESPN. Fox Sports turns into Mega-ESPN. ESPN dumps Chris Berman, Woody Paige and the like, hands the network over to David Jacoby and Bill Simmons, and ESPN essentially turns into the Grantland Network.

    Yeah, I'm probably dreaming. But with the 30 for 30 series and the highly active Grantland YouTube channel, I've suspected that they have been ramping up for an actually cable TV Grantland Channel separate from ESPN for awhile now.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  22. #66
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I

    I've always wondered what the hell the point of that Fox robot was.
    It was really cool. Back in 1991 when animations for sports broadcasts were cutting edge.

    The Simpsons were cutting edge animation back then, too. You can see where I'm going with this....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  24. #67

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Yeah, I'm probably dreaming. But with the 30 for 30 series and the highly active Grantland YouTube channel, I've suspected that they have been ramping up for an actually cable TV Grantland Channel separate from ESPN for awhile now.
    I was kinda critical of Grantland when it debuted but they've really won me over. I listen to a lot of their podcasts and read every word Zach Lowe writes. While I doubt they get their own channel, I'd love to see them play a bigger part in what goes on ESPN.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  26. #68
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    How could an all sports channel be like an all news channel. I do not understand that at all.

    I mean is MSNBC anything like NBC's all sports channel? No of course not, how could it be.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  28. #69
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,438

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    I'm just glad that our most treasured sporting event, the Super Bowl, hasn't been ESPN-ized yet. It will be a sad day when they get their hands on it.

    I'd rather watch an event covered by Fox Sports than ESPN. The BCS Bowl games on ESPN are a perfect example. As soon as the games were over, ESPN would IMMEDIATELY stick a microphone in the winning coach's face and not give them two seconds to celebrate with their team. IIRC, Fox at least gave them a bit of time to celebrate with their team. Little things like that are what makes ESPN annoying.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  30. #70
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,179

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was kinda critical of Grantland when it debuted but they've really won me over. I listen to a lot of their podcasts and read every word Zach Lowe writes. While I doubt they get their own channel, I'd love to see them play a bigger part in what goes on ESPN.
    Count me in as another fan of Grantland.

  31. #71
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember their answer to Sportscenter on Fox Sports? It was called Best Damn Sports Show Period, and it was basically Sportscenter mixed with The Man Show.
    That just means it was 50% better than Sportscenter.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  33. #72
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    The Best Damn Sports Show was more like the View for Sports than Sportscenter. Final Score was their equivalant to Sportscenter.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  35. #73
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was kinda critical of Grantland when it debuted but they've really won me over. I listen to a lot of their podcasts and read every word Zach Lowe writes. While I doubt they get their own channel, I'd love to see them play a bigger part in what goes on ESPN.
    I just appreciate that I can get that kind of content and thus don't NEED to watch ESPN or Fox Sports 1 or whatever else is/will be out there. With the Internet/podcasts/youtube, I honestly don't even feel the need to watch NBATV for this stuff. I get breaking news, rumors, reports, and instant reactions on Twitter, I can pick and choose which articles I want to read from there, including stuff on Grantland, or videos on YouTube, and then between listening to the Grady and Big Joe Podcast (selectively listening to Pacer talk once the podcast is up in the afternoon), BS Report, and now I'm staring to ease into Grantland podcasts, the Miller Time Podcast and the SVP/Russillo podcast, and when you add all that up, to say nothing of coming here daily, I'm more than satisfied with my NBA content and it has nothing to do with any of these network shows anymore.

    I just need TV to watch the games; otherwise the Internet is all I want or need. It's awesome.

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  37. #74
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,226

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    I only go to ESPN if there is a Pacers or IU game on. Also, I only go to their site for the NBA gamecast...when it's working properly.

    Just haven't liked ESPN now for a few years. It's only about big market teams.

    Ratings are all that matter anymore, and people love dumbed down stuff. Just think about the news networks run now, and all the reality tv that's out there. How the hell does Honey Boo-boo get a tv deal, and people watch. It's infuriating.

    I don't like Fox network, but I'll do Fox Sports. Good luck to them.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  38. #75

    Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's hard to believe that this is the same network that gave us "The Cosby Show", "Cheers", "Seinfeld", "Frasier", "ER", "Law and Order" (originals), etc. NBC's prime time used to be head and shoulders above everyone else, but its been horrible lately. Everything about Sunday Night Football is fantastic aside from the promos for crappy NBC shows.
    Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and Community are all pretty good shows, but NBC rarely supports them. Either way, I don't care who gets the games, if more networks get games that means more nationalized tv games, which hopefully means more national Pacers Games.

Similar Threads

  1. Magic prepares to finish season without Howard (Yahoo! Sports) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
  2. NBA prepares to stage first BWB event in India [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
  3. Grizzlies owner prepares to take team off market (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
  4. A.I. lifts Nuggets by Rockets as team prepares for Melo (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 12:00 AM
  5. Anyone Just see Channel 13 Sports ?
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •