Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

For decades, ESPN has absolutely owned the TV sports market, becoming a presence so ubiquitous and so intertwined with TV sports that it's wrestled mainstays like "Monday Night Football" off broadcast channels. It's the World Wide Leader (in its estimation) or the Evil Empire (in the eyes of its competition and former employees), and on television, it's never really had a serious rival. (On the web? Ahem.)

Now, Fox is looking to change that broadcast dynamic, announcing the debut of Fox Sports 1. The new channel, set to debut in August, will feature a slate of Fox programming that includes baseball, NASCAR, college basketball and football, soccer, and select UFC fights. The channel will also feature studio shows, including one hosted by Regis Philbin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-tu...180935479.html

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Good. I wish them luck.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good. I wish them luck.
    I don't. I will never tune in. I don't like what Fox and Rupert Murdoch stand for. I won't watch and contribute to any money going in that hypocrites pocket. But that is just me.......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I don't. I will never tune in. I don't like what Fox and Rupert Murdoch stand for. I won't watch and contribute to any money going in that hypocrites pocket. But that is just me.......

So do you ignore the Super Bowl when it's on FOX every three years? Do you ignore the NFC Championship every year? Do you ignore all of the other big NFL games that they broadcast throughout the regular season? You're a fellow Yankee fan, but did you not tune in to any of the recent World Series championships that were played on FOX?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2013 at 09:19 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So do you ignore the Super Bowl when it's on FOX every three years? Do you ignore the NFC Championship every year? Do you ignore all of the other big NFL games that they broadcast throughout the regular season? You're a fellow Yankee fan, but did you not tune in to any of the recent world series championships that were played on FOX? I call mega BS on you ignoring Fox.
    OlBlu is a troll who (legitimately) believes that big foot shot JFK as part of a government conspiracy. Arguing with him can be hazardous to your health. Be prepared to lose many braincells.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    . Be prepared to lose many braincells.
    Uhm.... I don't think so this time. Check the profile status.

Ring the bell?

Anyway, I honestly think this will ultimately end up with either NBC Sports Net, CBS Sports Net, or this Fox Sports 1 going under. Either that, or we're gonna see a lot of viewership demands as the networks jostle for exclusives.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 03-07-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

They ought to make a bid for the NBA coming up....
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

As long as they focus on sports, and not try to sensationalize everything, I will watch. ESPN is becoming WWE. Hiring Jonathan Coachman and Todd Francis proves me correct. ESPN is more interested in the story angles than the actual games
    David "And One" West

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    As long as they focus on sports, and not try to sensationalize everything, I will watch. ESPN is becoming WWE. Hiring Jonathan Coachman and Todd Francis proves me correct. ESPN is more interested in the story angles than the actual games
    Todd Grisham? He actually isn't on good terms with WWE anymore.
    PSN: bhm184

Banned
    Mood

If the meteoric rise of FOX amongst the big four networks and the dominance of FOX News in the cable news race is anything to go by, FOX has some incredibly bright people working behind the scenes, which makes me believe they could pose a legitimate threat to ESPN in the future.

Personally, I never believed NBC's new sports network would amount to anything, because, well... it's NBC, and everything they do is a failure. But FOX? FOX is brilliant. They're the one network I could see succeeding against ESPN, and I hope they do, as ESPN has become incredibly stagnant.

If the meteoric rise of FOX amongst the big four networks and the dominance of FOX News in the cable news race is anything to go by, FOX has some incredibly bright people working behind the scenes, which makes me believe they could pose a legitimate threat to ESPN in the future.

Personally, I never believed NBC's new sports network would amount to anything, because, well... it's NBC, and everything they do is a failure. But FOX? FOX is brilliant. They're the one network I could see succeeding against ESPN, and I hope they do, as ESPN has become incredibly stagnant.
    Have to disagree a bit here. I don't doubt Fox will be super popular, especially if they can localize their programming with local games. But you're also predicting they'll have better programming, which I'm not so sure about. In my opinion, Fox has the worst NFL coverage of all the networks with football (see: stupid dancing robot). NBC Sunday Night is by far the best, and probably the best produced sports program on TV right now.

I'm not saying Fox Sports won't be popular, but I really doubt they're gonna blow away ESPN in quality.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Have to disagree a bit here. I don't doubt Fox will be super popular, especially if they can localize their programming with local games. But you're also predicting they'll have better programming, which I'm not so sure about. In my opinion, Fox has the worst NFL coverage of all the networks with football (see: stupid dancing robot). NBC Sunday Night is by far the best, and probably the best produced sports program on TV right now.

I'm not saying Fox Sports won't be popular, but I really doubt they're gonna blow away ESPN in quality.
    Its like you are forgetting Inside the NBA on TNT!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post

I agree that NBC Sunday Night Football is the best. Everything about that production is top notch. Is it just me, or does the HD on SNF look better than the other stations?

I've always wondered what the hell the point of that Fox robot was.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

We are counting on Rupert Murdoch to fix Sports News reporting in this country...
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    We are counting on Rupert Murdoch to fix Sports News reporting in this country...
    He helped fix the mainstream media by giving the other side of the political spectrum a voice in a world that was, at the time, a left-wing circle-jerk echo chamber. If he can do that for mainstream news, then I have total faith that he can bring good things to the world of sports news.

He helped fix the mainstream media by giving the other side of the political spectrum a voice in a world that was, at the time, a left-wing circle-jerk echo chamber. If he can do that for mainstream news, then I have total faith that he can bring good things to the world of sports news.
    Nonsense. The mainstream non Fox News media is hardly liberal. Do you even watch shows like Face the Nation and Meet the Press?

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Nonsense. The mainstream non Fox News media is hardly liberal. Do you even watch shows like Face the Nation and Meet the Press?
    I laughed. Nicely played. It's good to see that some people still have a sense of humor and can make intentionally hilarious statements just to squeeze a chuckle out of others. You're a good man, hoosierguy.

In the off chance that you were being serious, here's a list of therapists in Indiana. Please seek help immediately.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Did you note my new favorite team? Ha, ha, ha....... It was truly tasteless to cut down the nets after a loss. Can you imagine a Bobby Knight team ever doing that. Yeah, IU is all class, third class.....

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Did you note my new favorite team? Ha, ha, ha....... It was truly tasteless to cut down the nets after a loss. Can you imagine a Bobby Knight team ever doing that. Yeah, IU is all class, third class.....
    More like, Big Ten champions. Just 4 years after blowing up the program. Big Ten champions, something none of your hero Bob Knight's teams could say during his final SEVEN seasons. I know you watched that game today and I know it cut you to the core when IU pulled it out. Nice avatar of a second place team.

I think all of these channels have a chance. The big time is they need time. Time to get bigger contracts.

I presume in 10 years we will have ESPN and one other big channel. No way IMO all these small channels survive

As long as it's not like Fox news and ESPN, I'm all for it. I just hope TNT keeps it's current contract.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Am I the only person who doesn't hate ESPN? I mean they aren't perfect, but some of you guys act like it's just a complete farce at this point. Admittedly, they have lost a lot of talent over the past two years, but they still have a lot of good stuff. Grantland, in particular, is excellent.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't hate ESPN? I mean they aren't perfect, but some of you guys act like it's just a complete farce at this point. Admittedly, they have lost a lot of talent over the past two years, but they still have a lot of good stuff. Grantland, in particular, is excellent.
    Grantlant is excellent. But the only reason why Grantland exists is because they let Bill Simmons do his thing.. Definitely an anomaly from a network that values people like Skip and his idiot co-anchor.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I have espn on in the background more often than not. with that said, when i do sit and watch. i find myself *****ing and moaning about everything they say and do. Hell, the bulls vs pacer game the other night had me pulling out my hair and my wife leaving the room.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: