Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking ahead to the Miami Game: Imagine the Mood Swing

Default Re: Looking ahead to the Miami Game: Imagine the Mood Swing

The Pacers will need to beat the Heat, the refs and the media tonight. It's going to be tough to do that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers will need to beat the Heat, the refs and the media tonight. It's going to be tough to do that.
    The media? Seriously, the *****ing media!! Smh.

Mood

I think Indy has a good shot tonight. Heat are due for a loss and our guys are going to be amped up. I think West will dominate his matchup (unless it's LBJ) just as much as LBJ beats George in their matchup, or more. That's huge. Hibbert has been playing SO much better too, which is in our favor, he can neutralize bosh somewhat when you take his team defense into account as well.

This is going to be a very tough game to win. It's more of a pride game though, doesn't really impact much else.

Mood

I think Miami is pretty clearly annoyed that we're still not deferential to them even though they are on the streak they are. I think it bothers them. Winning tonight is definitely a statement game, but not one we should beat ourselves up for should we lose.

So now we have the Heat and media talking about how 'chippy' we are. Guess what's more than likely going to happen early on with the whistles in the first quarter? Lame.

The biggest issue with not having Granger is foul trouble. Once you get past our starting 5 we are vulnerable. So, this chippy stuff is to prep the refs...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a not-so-subtle attempt to 'get back' at Vogel for his flopping comments last year.

That being said, I realistically know that tonight will be tough and very difficult to win. I've seen folks here preemptively downplay both a loss and a win, both of which I understand.

That being said, dear sweet baby in a manger do I want to annihilate these @holes!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HEAT!
    Last edited by TMJ31; 03-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    If the Pacers come in and hit the Heat in the mouth for a 20 plus margin of victory, each and every one of us should be excited... Given where each team is a respectively, a beat down of the Heat by 20+ would me monumental...
    A beat down of the Heat by 1+ would be fine with me.

I mean, really, asking for us to beat the Heat at home by 20+ is asking for the moon, the stars, the comets, and ice cream with sprinkles. Why get greedy?

Bottom line is that no matter what happens the story will spin toward the Heat. Heat win and per the media we might as well not bother playing any Eastern Conference Playoffs, just give the conference title to the Heat and wait to see who comes out of the Western Conference. Pacers win and there will still be the irritating little buzz of the Pacers as the team that "could" take the Heat, but remember they never play hard in the regular season so watch out in the playoffs blah blah blah blah.

I just want the win for the confidence it will give the team and the energy it will bring to the local fan base. Muck the fedia and how they think about it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Heat win and per the media we might as well not bother playing any Eastern Conference Playoffs,
    The media, or BillS on Twitter about 20 minutes ago?

Man, even though people knew this was a tough one to win they still started stepping onto the ledge.

Miami does not get a free "one playoff game win" token to cash in 2 months from now.

Here's the reality, the Heat WANTED TO WIN THIS GAME, they were making comments, looking ahead of other games to this game, and thought of it as a message or statement game. You don't make statements against teams that don't threaten you. You laugh them off if you notice them at all.

The Pacers badly needed to get a measure of the "playoff room" as a reality check on where they were. After the ASG and some huge spreads against injured or just bad teams they were starting to believe their own hype (Paul especially I think). Boston could be brushed off as a late let down, but this game won't leave their memory the rest of the year.

Now you have not just motivation to beat Miami, but to GET TO MIAMI. The desire for revenge should fuel them to beat up on anyone else in their way. They were badly outplayed and will catch tons of national media dismissal, so out comes the chip on the shoulder factor too.

It is possible that instead they could become totally "we aren't good enough" demoralized, but that doesn't strike me as likely on a Vogel led team with David West on it. Just look at how Paul responded to the GSW loss and 0 FGM game.

Plus it's not like this was Lebron just killing them. He looked unstoppable in the few plays he made, but mostly they'll see tape of Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, and Ray Allen beating them, and they know they are better than those guys. They still haven't seen a Miami game where James on his own says "you can't stop me" that knocks the wind from your sail.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The media, or BillS on Twitter about 20 minutes ago?

Man, even though people knew this was a tough one to win they still started stepping onto the ledge.

Miami does not get a free "one playoff game win" token to cash in 2 months from now.

Here's the reality, the Heat WANTED TO WIN THIS GAME, they were making comments, looking ahead of other games to this game, and thought of it as a message or statement game. You don't make statements against teams that don't threaten you. You laugh them off if you notice them at all.

The Pacers badly needed to get a measure of the "playoff room" as a reality check on where they were. After the ASG and some huge spreads against injured or just bad teams they were starting to believe their own hype (Paul especially I think). Boston could be brushed off as a late let down, but this game won't leave their memory the rest of the year.

Now you have not just motivation to beat Miami, but to GET TO MIAMI. The desire for revenge should fuel them to beat up on anyone else in their way. They were badly outplayed and will catch tons of national media dismissal, so out comes the chip on the shoulder factor too.

It is possible that instead they could become totally "we aren't good enough" demoralized, but that doesn't strike me as likely on a Vogel led team with David West on it. Just look at how Paul responded to the GSW loss and 0 FGM game.

Plus it's not like this was Lebron just killing them. He looked unstoppable in the few plays he made, but mostly they'll see tape of Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, and Ray Allen beating them, and they know they are better than those guys. They still haven't seen a Miami game where James on his own says "you can't stop me" that knocks the wind from your sail.
    When did you become the optimist?

I know that for any Team to beat an elite-level Team like the Heat....you have to be 110% on your game.....executing your gameplan for 48 straight minutes. Against lottery bound teams....the Pacers have enough talent to beat them even if we don't execute for 36 minutes in a game....but for Elite Level teams that feed off of mistakes and sloppy play? Nope....we lose...and lose badly.

I just feel over the last couple of weeks....the Team has become sloppy enough that something is simply "off kilter" with the way the offense has been executing.

I remember that during the game.....the announcers said that Vogel has tried to up the tempo to improve the offense. This has translated into higher scoring games lately....but I am wondering if that coincided with the increase in sloppiness on the offensive end that we have seen lately.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BillS said he and his wife wanted to know when I became an optimist too. I don't think I've changed at all, I think I'm a realist. And what I've seen last year and this year is an elite defensive squad with 3-4 go-to scorers (West, Paul, George) and 2 emerging young wild card scorers (Lance, OJ). It's about as fine a squad as I can remember watching play for the Pacers.

I saw the great Pacers teams put up some duds too. The 2000 Finals team lost by 21 at home to 8th seed Millwaukee one month before the playoffs started. Of course the Bucks did take them 5 games too, so maybe there was something to it. But still, this was 21 points. They lost by 31 @PHX two weeks before that, a 53 win team whose top scorers were Cliff Robinson and Penny Hardaway (how did they win 53). They lost by 21 @DAL with a 21 yr old Dirk and Michael Finley as leading scorer for their 40-42 team.

Again, this is the ELITE 56 win Jax-Reggie-Rose-Dale-Rik Finals team losing by 20-30 points throughout March. PHX may have won 53, but neither they nor DAL or MIL were what this Heat team is. Those teams weren't winning 17 straight.

After the bad MIL loss they lost their next two as well and were stumbling to the finish with an 8-7 stretch after being 39-17 (.696) up to that point, the best PCT their record reached all season. They went from playing 57 win ball to playing 43 win ball, basically #1 seed to #8 seed caliber. During the 8-7 run 2 of their wins were at home by 1 pt and the other in OT (DEN, POR), meaning they just dodged home losses that would have had them sub-500 during this run.

What do you think people thought at that moment? They thought "another bust", another blown season, the whole thing is falling apart. No one thought "oh, this is nothing, I'm sure they'll go to the Finals". They were in danger of losing the #1 seed.

And then starting on March 31st they ripped off a 9-2 (.818) run that outpaced their 39-17 start and sent them into the playoffs with massive momentum and the #1 seed.

*Of course then they blew that when they lost by 13 at home to MIL in game 2. Home court was gone and after winning by just 3 you turned around and got crushed. Then they flipped it with a huge 13 point win in MIL, then lost by 13, and then were behind with seconds to go when Travis Best hit a bank floater to salvage their entire season.

So if the Finals team can have those kinds of nights then so can this team. It's about the 10 game stretches and about entire playoff series. From game to game or even for short runs things can look pretty bad for very good teams. I'm not optimistic because of the Miami loss, I'm optimistic because 6 out of 10 games they look really good, and often look okay in another 1-2 of those 10. They didn't get the record they have by being terrible all the time.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

BillS said he and his wife wanted to know when I became an optimist too. I don't think I've changed at all, I think I'm a realist. And what I've seen last year and this year is an elite defensive squad with 3-4 go-to scorers (West, Paul, George) and 2 emerging young wild card scorers (Lance, OJ). It's about as fine a squad as I can remember watching play for the Pacers.

I saw the great Pacers teams put up some duds too. The 2000 Finals team lost by 21 at home to 8th seed Millwaukee one month before the playoffs started. Of course the Bucks did take them 5 games too, so maybe there was something to it. But still, this was 21 points. They lost by 31 @PHX two weeks before that, a 53 win team whose top scorers were Cliff Robinson and Penny Hardaway (how did they win 53). They lost by 21 @DAL with a 21 yr old Dirk and Michael Finley as leading scorer for their 40-42 team.

Again, this is the ELITE 56 win Jax-Reggie-Rose-Dale-Rik Finals team losing by 20-30 points throughout March. PHX may have won 53, but neither they nor DAL or MIL were what this Heat team is. Those teams weren't winning 17 straight.

After the bad MIL loss they lost their next two as well and were stumbling to the finish with an 8-7 stretch after being 39-17 (.696) up to that point, the best PCT their record reached all season. They went from playing 57 win ball to playing 43 win ball, basically #1 seed to #8 seed caliber. During the 8-7 run 2 of their wins were at home by 1 pt and the other in OT (DEN, POR), meaning they just dodged home losses that would have had them sub-500 during this run.

What do you think people thought at that moment? They thought "another bust", another blown season, the whole thing is falling apart. No one thought "oh, this is nothing, I'm sure they'll go to the Finals". They were in danger of losing the #1 seed.

And then starting on March 31st they ripped off a 9-2 (.818) run that outpaced their 39-17 start and sent them into the playoffs with massive momentum and the #1 seed.

*Of course then they blew that when they lost by 13 at home to MIL in game 2. Home court was gone and after winning by just 3 you turned around and got crushed. Then they flipped it with a huge 13 point win in MIL, then lost by 13, and then were behind with seconds to go when Travis Best hit a bank floater to salvage their entire season.

So if the Finals team can have those kinds of nights then so can this team. It's about the 10 game stretches and about entire playoff series. From game to game or even for short runs things can look pretty bad for very good teams. I'm not optimistic because of the Miami loss, I'm optimistic because 6 out of 10 games they look really good, and often look okay in another 1-2 of those 10. They didn't get the record they have by being terrible all the time.
    I'm more optimistic about the defense than compared to last year ( and years before ).....but I am not optimistic at all about the offense....especially recently. The offense is too sloppy now.....compared to before. I attribute it to what I notice is an increased, very apparent and obvious attempt to move the ball.....IMHO...too much. Add in that the offense is HEAVILY reliant on West, GH and PG....which means that the Bench isn't showing up to contribute as much as they should.

We're all ecstatic when Hibbert actually shows up on the offensive end...but the truth is that we can't rely upon him to show up EVERY GAME and be a reliant offensive option....cuz IMHO...he's not scoring when we really need him to score. But when GH and PG don't show up on the offensive end....what we see is what we got in the Heat game. When the offense gets sloppy like it was against a veteran Team like the Heat / Celtics / Knicks / Nets, they will take full advantage of that...which is something that we can't afford to do in the Playoffs.

I'm just trying to say that the defense works great....but I feel that the offense is broken....but not un-fixable. We were all hoping that Granger would be the answer....but given that it's a very strong possibility that he won't return this season....the only hope that I have now is that Hibbert becomes more consistent of a threat in the Low Post than before and that Vogel figures out that the offense needs to flow ( more often ) through Lance. That...and the Bench starts contributing more on a regular basis on a minimal basis. If the Offense doesn't click and ( as vnzla81 says ) becomes predictable....then our offense becomes stagnant.

IMHO....we're similar to the Chauncey/Rip/Rasheed/Tayshaun/Big Ben Pistons...a Team that was all about defense....but the difference is that they were all very capable of executing consistently on the offensive end. Right now...... I don't feel that our offense is able to execute consistently and effectively. I know that I am ( again ) being "Debbie Downer" here ( FYI...I am a pessimist by nature ).....but I am just getting back to what I have been saying for the last couple of weeks despite the wins....our defense will only take the Team so far before the Offense has to start "pulling it's own weight".
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-11-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

They lost by 31 @PHX two weeks before that, a 53 win team whose top scorers were Cliff Robinson and Penny Hardaway (how did they win 53).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: