Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the Miami Game: Imagine the Mood Swing

Default Re: Looking ahead to the Miami Game: Imagine the Mood Swing

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until the Team cuts down on those turnovers ( I am looking at you PG24 ) and stop making stupid mistakes.....I don't think that the game against the Heat is going to be close.

Sorry to be Debbie-Downer....but the only way that the Pacers can beat the Heat is if they are flawless on the defensive end and able to execute on the offensive end....both from the Starters and bench Players.
    You are a debbie-downer, this is a team that played like crap against the Clippers last week and still was with in 4 pts of a victory in the final minute. Pacers have alot of fight, and their defense can lock down any opponent. We turned the ball over a ton in that game and the Clippers just like the Heat thrive on turnovers. We will be fine, just need to dictate the pace of the pace of the pace of the game.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What if Miami is throwing all the games against us to lull us into a false sense of security? Maybe we should do some reverse psychology and lay down for this one.

Play to win.

We have plenty of things to work on and get tightened up before seeing them in the playoffs is a possibility. Use this game to focus on those things and grade yourself on where you stand against the team that is clearly the standard. Say what you want about LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Spoelstra and the Heat, but when it comes down to it, they're clearly the number one team in the East again, and anyone that wants to challenge that is going to have a tough time doing it.

Games like last night's Bulls game need to be eliminated. No more sloppy play, mental lapses, or poor effort nights. If we want to knock them off their perch, every game from now until the end of our season needs to be treated as if it were game 7 against them, then judged afterwards as a success or failure, and used to improve immediately. It's looking like Miami will hold onto that number one seed, and we'll probably hang onto the second. The division is ours. The focus needs to shift to making the changes that will win playoff games.

The OP is right that a loss would not be the worst thing in the world. Maybe we go back to being a little more under the radar, but we know where we stand. A loss would show us what needs to improve. Who is the coach that said there's more to learn from losing than there is from winning?

That said, losing is unacceptable. At least, that's the attitude this team needs to assume for the balance of the year and into the playoffs.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I was thinking a win might be more like "Pacers barely escape banged up Heat".

All I want to see is an epic beat down of biblical proportions. I want this team to prove that the Heat are incapable of playing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    That said, losing is unacceptable. At least, that's the attitude this team needs to assume for the balance of the year and into the playoffs.
    Yup. As coach says, we should be taking pride in our preparation. We should absolutely be treating this like a playoff game. Play to win.

It'll play big in the media, but...

If Miami wins, we still have the season series, and is the Pacers' sense of confidence against the Heat really going to evaporate because the Heat managed one home win, when they have split the last 8 against them? I doubt it.

If Indiana wins, Miami is still the champion, and they have the example of Chicago a few years ago to refer to. I don't think they'll see it as more than a game to get ready for a tough playoff series against the Pacers.

So I don't know that this game is going to mean much come May unless the Pacers make a remarkable rally for first in the east.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If we're the bookends of their winning streak, it'll be what 17 by then, I guarantee it's a MASSIVE deal in the national media. ESPN especially. It doesn't actually mean much, other than hey the Pacers are pretty damn good, but if (IF!) it happens I'd put money on ESPN pushing the "Indiana's the only team that can take Miami" narrative really hard, it's what they do.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If we're the bookends of their winning streak, it'll be what 17 by then, I guarantee it's a MASSIVE deal in the national media. ESPN especially. It doesn't actually mean much, other than hey the Pacers are pretty damn good, but if (IF!) it happens I'd put money on ESPN pushing the "Indiana's the only team that can take Miami" narrative really hard, it's what they do.
    I'd love to see that, but I don't think it's what would happen. I think ESPN's coverage would still be 90% Heat-centric. The angles they'd play up would be "the Heat are beatable!", "The Heat have weaknesses!", or "the Heat peaked too early!", or something similarly inane. All that talk would then be followed up by the obligatory 15 seconds of Tim Legler saying, "The Pacers are a pretty good team too. They shouldn't be overlooked."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we're the end to their streak I don't know if I'll be able to contain myself at the Arena. Might walk out of there talking some trash

I think this game will be so much bigger for Miami, assuming both teams take care of business this week. If Indy ends that streak, considering the press Indy has been getting lately about being the team to beat Miami in the playoffs and based on the fact that Indy has beaten them twice already this season... A loss to Indy would really make this streak meaningless aside from the standings.

If Indy stops this streak, the talk will be like " Yah they had a long, dominate streak, but do we really know any more about them now than we do before the streak? ", because it will be the same story. Indy can beat the Heat in the playoffs, they have major matchups in there favor ect.

And being that this is such a huge game for the Heat, i'm expecting Lebron x 1000. I'm worried.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I think this game will be so much bigger for Miami, assuming both teams take care of business this week. If Indy ends that streak, considering the press Indy has been getting lately about being the team to beat Miami in the playoffs and based on the fact that Indy has beaten them twice already this season... A loss to Indy would really make this streak meaningless aside from the standings.
    I don't think anything can make such a long winning streak meaningless. They have to lose sometime.

I mean had they lost to NY would the streak have been meaningless? I don't think so

Mood

The bottom line is this...

The Heat are playing their best basketball in franchise HISTORY, right now... Lebron, is playing the best basketball in his LIFE, right now...

As it stands, the media projects us to be the only team in the East that can stop them. Which, given that they get the hype advantage and the Defending Champ Advantage, while we hold an undefeated season series advantage over them as well as a "doubt" in their mind advantage, makes us really, DEAD EVEN...

If they win Sunday, then I believe that gives them an edge as the favorites to come out of the East... and that's it...

But, if we win? Giving the Heat bookend losses to their streak, and still holding an undefeated season record, as well as, "undeniably serious doubt" advantage? That makes US the prohibitive favorites to come out of the East... Mark my word, IF we win, that will be the story on Monday...

billbradley

If the Heat keep their win streak alive, how does this game not get picked up nationally!? The last loss by the Heat would be to the consensus East road block Pacers. You have great basketball, techs, bad blood and drama.

I know it's in between the ABC and ESPN games, but you would think they would figure something out.

Ha, I wish NBC picked it up somehow.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    One thing about LeBron James. When he is truly challenged he gets nervous. He does NOT have ice water in his veins like Jordan and Kobe. He gets nervous and you can see it in the man's eyes.

Whether or not it's this year or next, I really want to see those eyes again. I can't wait because it will be coming at some point.

I really cannot stand the Heat.
    You obviously stopped watching the Heat after game 3 of last year's Pacers v. Heat series.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

While I am very interested to see what happens in this game. I am not going to overeact to the outcome no matter what it is. But I will be watching veyt closely the matchups and what the Heat try to do against us.

But if the Heat win by 20, I won't panic and if the Pacers win by 20, I won't get all excited. Playoffs are different

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Heat are heading into the playoffs with a full head of steam right now, so a win against them would be a nice speed bump to maybe get them to rethink their gameplan.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

If the Pacers break the streak, the story will be about how the Heat were satisfied with their franchise record and are not taking anything seriously until the playoffs now.

If the Heat continue the streak, no one will mention the Pacers at all - it will just be another win for the juggernaut.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If the Pacers break the streak, the story will be about how the Heat were satisfied with their franchise record and are not taking anything seriously until the playoffs now.

If the Heat continue the streak, no one will mention the Pacers at all - it will just be another win for the juggernaut.
    No way, Monday sports radio would be all over the Pacers' 3-0 record vs the Heat. The media likes to talk about doubting LeBron just as much as they like praising him.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

If Indiana beats Miami, everyone will be talking about Indiana. Especially if they beat Boston and Orlando before then. I think that would be 15 out of the last 18 wins.

If we win, Skip Bayless will put the media in their place.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    If the Heat keep their win streak alive, how does this game not get picked up nationally!? The last loss by the Heat would be to the consensus East road block Pacers. You have great basketball, techs, bad blood and drama.

I know it's in between the ABC and ESPN games, but you would think they would figure something out.

Ha, I wish NBC picked it up somehow.
    I hope that it does get picked up nationally. Although I have League Pass, I can't watch any NBATV games. I'm going to send an email to the league.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

We will end the streak
    "We want Miami"

It's on NBATV