Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Bull Chips....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Bull Chips....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How long does it take a 5 to be able to contribute nightly at a NBA level? For years, it was pointed out for Hibbert and Smits it takes 5 years. Do the Pacers have 5 years to invest in a 24 yo who has played a total of 27 min 8 games?
    Because of their offensive games. I don't expect Plumlee to ever have one. That's not what he was drafted for. I keep saying it, he was drafted for a Foster type role.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I simply would ask them who the "A-train" was.
    I'm going to use that. I like to tell Heat "fans" I can name more former Heat players than they can.

And sadly, I recently realized my Artis Gilmore card is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I only call them front running, jock sniffing snot bags because it's true.

It's harder to do in this day and age but you must remember for me I have been dealing with these "fans" for over 20 years.

I had one test and one test only for any Bulls fan who was being an obnoxious @ss back in the day. I simply would ask them who the "A-train" was. Out of the dozens of "fans" I asked that over the years I had 2 who could answer that question and one of them pretty much shut me up by not telling me who the A-train was but that he actually liked Dave Corzine better.

Their team right now is still a winning franchise, sure they are missing Rose but they were riding a 3 game winning streak into the game and they thought that they were going to get us.

Like I said though this isn't new to me I've had to put up with drunk obnoxious fans of theirs forever. The only fan base that even comes close to this was the 1980's early 90's Indiana Celtic fans. They were worse but it's pretty close.

I actually like Knicks fans for the most part and believe it or not the majority of Piston fans have been cool over the year, but Chicago fans are just horrid.

I agree that the Chicago fans who invade the Fieldhouse are the most obnoxious people on the planet. Game 3 of the 2011 playoffs was just disgusting. I remember going to a game against Chicago in January of that year and they were awful then too.

I bet Knicks fans would be more obnoxious if their franchise had actually won something in recent decades. All of the other major rival markets have been wildly successful: Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Miami. But the Knicks haven't won a championship since 1973, which no doubt causes their fans to be a bit more humble, IMO. If the Knicks were as successful as the Lakers or Celtics, then I guarantee their fans would be more obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Because of their offensive games. I don't expect Plumlee to ever have one. That's not what he was drafted for. I keep saying it, he was drafted for a Foster type role.
    I don't expect Plumlee to be a offensive wizard either, so I'll play devil's advocate in defense of Plumlee as he's not getting a proper opportunity to show what his skills and assets are, or to hone them. You can't play when the opportunity avails itself if you aren't dressed either. Hint hint Vogel.

PJ3 was drafted after Plumlee by OKC and has played in 30 games @ about 7 MPG with what is said to be bad knees. That's not saying he's better than Plumlee, but pointing out OKC has given him the time to get PT where as Plumlee sits in a suit. OKC has Thabeet, who is on is 4th team, getting 11 MPG, yet Plumlee sits twiddling his thumbs. If TPTB see Plumlee as a future rotational player or a replacement for Hansbro or Pendergraph, then wouldn't it be advantageous to get Plumlee more PT than 8 games and 27 min? He "ain't gett'n any younger" sitting in a suit!

At the present time if I was comparing Plumlee with other bigs drafted late 20's, he would be compared to DJ White, JaJuan Johnson, and Daniel Orton. Sorry Purdue, IU, and KY fans but it is what it is. It could be pointed out each were wasted picks too.

Sports Logo

I don't expect Plumlee to be a offensive wizard either, so I'll play devil's advocate in defense of Plumlee as he's not getting a proper opportunity to show what his skills and assets are, or to hone them. You can't play when the opportunity avails itself if you aren't dressed either. Hint hint Vogel.

PJ3 was drafted after Plumlee by OKC and has played in 30 games @ about 7 MPG with what is said to be bad knees. That's not saying he's better than Plumlee, but pointing out OKC has given him the time to get PT where as Plumlee sits in a suit. OKC has Thabeet, who is on is 4th team, getting 11 MPG, yet Plumlee sits twiddling his thumbs. If TPTB see Plumlee as a future rotational player or a replacement for Hansbro or Pendergraph, then wouldn't it be advantageous to get Plumlee more PT than 8 games and 27 min? He "ain't gett'n any younger" sitting in a suit!

At the present time if I was comparing Plumlee with other bigs drafted late 20's, he would be compared to DJ White, JaJuan Johnson, and Daniel Orton. Sorry Purdue, IU, and KY fans but it is what it is. It could be pointed out each were wasted picks too.
    I know that Playing Time is Playing time....but did PJ3 get those minutes during the course of the game or was it considered garbage time?

Assuming that Plumlee is considered to be the replacement for Hansbrough or Pendy.....it doesn't mean that he should automatically get minutes. This goes back to the whole "develop Players vs. Winning Games" debate. You maybe correct in assuming that Plumlee may replace one or both in the near future....but that doesn't mean that he is the better option to put on the floor now. Maybe Vogel considers both Hansbrough and Pendy a better option to put on the floor...in order to win games and/or develop chemistry for the Playoffs....as opposed to using Plumlee to just get some minutes.

I would love to see what Plumlee can do in regular consistent minutes...but I think that Vogel and the FO is in "win now" mode....simply put...unlike the need to find some help at the Wings with OJ getting minutes....there isn't a need for Plumlee to play and/or get minutes NOW. Maybe Vogel is satisfied with the Frontcourt rotation being ( 1 ) West / ( 2 ) Hibbert / ( 3 ) Mahinmi / ( 4 ) Hansbrough / ( 5 ) Pendy / ( 6 ) Plumlee .

But I will say that I honestly don't know why he's riding the pine as opposed to maxing out his Playing time in Fort Wayne.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-06-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think you can compare it that way, for a number of different reasons. The biggest, other than the fact Plumlee isn't even dressing, would be that OKC's average margin of victory is more than double that of the Pacers. OKC gives their end of the bench much more opportunities to get PT, because they blow other teams away a lot more than the Ps.

In case anyone is interested here is Plumlee's stats while in the D-league.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/fortwayne/statistics/
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

But I will say that I honestly don't know why he's riding the pine as opposed to maxing out his Playing time in Fort Wayne.
    He's not riding the pine he's sitting in a suit most of the time. I agree if he can't get PT with the Pacers he should be playing in Ft Wayne where he can get plently of PT to hone his skills. That's the whole idea of the D-League.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's not riding the pine he's sitting in a suit most of the time. I agree if he can't get PT with the Pacers he should be playing in Ft Wayne where he can get plently of PT to hone his skills. That's the whole idea of the D-League.
    Isn't an alternate view that practicing with the team is better than playing with all other D-League? If that's a valid perspective, then during a period consisting of a lot of home games (and therefore practice days) doesn't it make sense to have Plumlee practicing with the team rather than up in Ft. Wayne?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Isn't an alternate view that practicing with the team is better than playing with all other D-League? If that's a valid perspective, then during a period consisting of a lot of home games (and therefore practice days) doesn't it make sense to have Plumlee practicing with the team rather than up in Ft. Wayne?
    I may be wrong, but I thought that's what he's been doing during extended homestands. Practicing with the team in the morning and traveling to play in Ft. Wayne at night.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought that's what he's been doing during extended homestands. Practicing with the team in the morning and traveling to play in Ft. Wayne at night.
    I don't believe you can do that. If you are with the D-League you can't practice with the team, and I also don't think you can be relegated/brought back/relegated in that short of a period.

What they were doing was to send him down during the extended road trips then bring him back up during the home stands.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I don't believe you can do that. If you are with the D-League you can't practice with the team, and I also don't think you can be relegated/brought back/relegated in that short of a period.

What they were doing was to send him down during the extended road trips then bring him back up during the home stands.
    I was under the impression that the rules changed this season so that teams would be able to use the D-League more freely to develop their players; hence why you've seen more players like Plumlee and OJ getting time in the D-League, and why Perry Jones and others have had short stints in the "minors". Someone with more knowledge of this situation will have to clarify for me.

Sports Logo

Wasn't it KP that said that he likes the results that he has seen with sending OJ and ( I presume ) Plumlee to the D-League?

Unless there is some intention for Miles to actually play....maybe due to injury of West/Hibbert/Mahinmi/Hansbrough....then I can see the point of having him dressed on the bench ready to play. But having him sit in a suit makes little sense since he's not doing anything other than watching and being the best dressed Cheerleader on the bench.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The Pacers have always adhered to what you are saying, thus not using the D-League. Only this year, as you know, have the Pacers started using the D-League. Why be a part of the Mad Ants if you aren't going to take advantage of it? There is only so much practice time during the season. How much pratice time does Plumlee really get in practice against the starters? Wouldn't it be more advantageous for a 6th big who is a rookie that has played in 8 games with a total of 27 min PT be in Ft. Wayne learning to hone his skills in practices and actual game time play?

I got a chuckle from Chris and Quinn early in the game last night talking about Plumlee and what the FO thought about him. Basically, from what I remember of the comments was the FO didn't know what they had in Plumlee. He hadn't done much in practice to indicate what they had drafted. My 1st thought was "someone has been reading PD lately"!

AGAIN, send him to Ft Wayne where he can play instead of having him sit behind the bench in a suit/sport coat. Other teams take advantage of the D-League, they must be doing it for a beneficial reason for their players. Otherwise, why send them?

I tend to side with it is better to practice with the NBA team than play with the D-league. But I can see where brief stints in the D-League can be beneficial. The key word being brief. 3 games with the D-League squad, then back to the pacers, three games there and back to the pacers. That sort of thing. I think sending a player to the D-League for 6 weeks would be counter-productive.

He has played 15 games in the D-league, that is pretty good, compared to OJ who has played 4.