Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Before everyone starts freaking out about Danny not playing in the second half...

Default Re: Before everyone starts freaking out about Danny not playing in the second half...

I actually think that Granger and Dunleavy's injuries might be more related than people might think. Chronic tendinosis leads to tendon calcification. I believe it's entirely possible that Dunleavy's bone spur could have started as a complication of chronic tendinosis, but I could never find any literature to back up his suspected etiology. I'm pretty certain that I remember reading that Dunleavy's bone spur was unusual that it was embedded in his patellar tendon.

Doesn't matter... both of their knees aren't 100%. I continue to hope for the best for Granger, but I also am trying to keep realistic expectations given the circumstance.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Before everyone starts freaking out about Danny not playing in the second half...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have a feeling not making a deal at the deadline to improve our bench will come back to haunt us come playoff time.
    I'm not sure who was available or what we had to give in trade but ironically I said the exact same thing on the way to the game to Diamond Dave and this was before Danny had knee pain again.

I realize that we are on opposite sides of the Danny debate but in this case I think having something to fall back on would have been nice. What bothers me is that Danny has not looked good even once in a game and I don't mean missing shots or anything. I mean he looks 3-4 steps slower than everyone else. I understand he is not nearly in game shape but I think we were led to believe that when he was getting ready to start playing that he was doing better in practice than he has in game situations, which again I understand to be different than practice.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm not sure who was available or what we had to give in trade but ironically I said the exact same thing on the way to the game to Diamond Dave and this was before Danny had knee pain again.

I realize that we are on opposite sides of the Danny debate but in this case I think having something to fall back on would have been nice. What bothers me is that Danny has not looked good even once in a game and I don't mean missing shots or anything. I mean he looks 3-4 steps slower than everyone else. I understand he is not nearly in game shape but I think we were led to believe that when he was getting ready to start playing that he was doing better in practice than he has in game situations, which again I understand to be different than practice.
    Unfortunately, the salary situation being what it is, I find it unlikely there were many upgrades out there that we could have gotten done without giving up picks, which we need for their great value.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

See you keep comparing the two but honestly that is not what I remember at all. I thought Mike had a huge bone spur, one they thought was a small spur but once it was opened up he had the spur was the size of his patella. I don't remember him having tendonosis at all.
    It's been reported both ways... One report said it was a calcified area on his tendon. It never was called tendonosis tho AFAIK...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I see no reason to not have faith in the job the coaches and trainers are doing.

They've been doing a good job in regulating Danny's comeback so far.

Who's freaking out?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

In regards to bench moves at the trade deadline, I'm more worried about a back up point guard, DJ looks terrible, at least with Danny you have Sam Young and Orlando Johnson who can give you good mins at the wing. After DJ, I'm not sure you have a viable option. I hope Danny is okay, but I almost see him as icing on the cake with this team and how they've played after the initial rough start.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just my opinion...........Danny will be traded this off season..... I don't want it but I feel strongly he's outta here.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Not freakin out, but I expect a set back here. Any playing time in the next few games will surprise me.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Just my opinion...........Danny will be traded this off season..... I don't want it but I feel strongly he's outta here.

I don't think we could get anything of value for him unless he all of the sudden shows he can log some heavy minutes down the stretch of the season, and even then I think teams would be hesitant. He is an expiring contract next season, which makes him a bit less of a gamble, but trading for him would still be a pretty risky move. To offset that risk, a trading partner would probably insist that we take on a bad contract or something. I don't think there's any point in the Pacers taking something bad for him in the off-season. Might as well just let the contract expire, or maybe try trading him at the deadline at which point his contract would just have a couple months remaining. Maybe then you could get something decent.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think that the Wednesday Celtics game will be very telling. He has two full days off to rest. It will be worrisome if he can't log more than eight or ten minutes on Wednesday night.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The guy is not in game shape - what's hard to understand? Remember what David West did at the start of last season? Remember, he had the offseason to continue rehab.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Before everyone starts freaking out about Danny not playing in the second half...

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Unfortunately, the salary situation being what it is, I find it unlikely there were many upgrades out there that we could have gotten done without giving up picks, which we need for their great value.
    How much value does a number 28 pick have? I don't think it would be very much. The real value of that pick to the Pacers is that they will have a filler piece for a minimum salary so they can let some folks go to make room to sign their best players.

I don't mean to be a dick to Danny at all when I say this, and I hope it really is just typical soreness, but was fans, what is there to freak about? We've already gotten to 38-22 pretty much without him, like I said I don't mean to be a dick, but I just don't see anything to worry about as fans other than to hope Danny is ok just so he doesn't have to deal with more intense rehab.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

If I thought Granger was the difference between this team contending for a title, and being a middle of the road playoff team, I'd officially be concerned.

Fortunately, he isn't that difference. He's superfluous.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Banned

I was going to post pretty much what you are posting here but I didn't want to create any controversy or get overreactions, thanks for doing it for me.

Not bringing a player just in case Danny Granger didn't work out was a huge mistake in my opinion, now who do you have that is going to create points off the bench? I'm also with you on the "we are getting an all star back" reports, they led everybody to believe that Danny was closer to the old Danny when in reality he is not even close.

Them using the "we are getting an all star back so we don't need to make a deal" excuse really pissed me off at the trade deadline, I was hoping I was wrong but it doesn't look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    The guy is not in game shape - what's hard to understand? Remember what David West did at the start of last season? Remember, he had the offseason to continue rehab.
    There's a difference between not being in game shape, versus not being able to even log decent minutes in the game. He's played a combined 18 minutes over the last two games, both of which he was benched long before the game was over.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I was going to post pretty much what you are posting here but I didn't want to create any controversy or get overreactions, thanks for doing it for me.

Not bringing a player just in case Danny Granger didn't work out was a huge mistake in my opinion, now who do you have that is going to create points off the bench? I'm also with you on the "we are getting an all star back" reports, they led everybody to believe that Danny was closer to the old Danny when in reality he is not even close.

Them using the "we are getting an all star back so we don't need to make a deal" excuse really pissed me off at the trade deadline, I was hoping I was wrong but it doesn't look that way.
    Eh, I just don't know how we could of filled that hole without creating another.

It's not like teams were trading very much this deadline...

billbradley

On 1070, training staff not concerned long term.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Eh, I just don't know how we could of filled that hole without creating another.

It's not like teams were trading very much this deadline...
    No, we should have brought in an impact player as an insurance policy. A lot of teams were giving away impact players at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    On 1070, training staff not concerned long term.
    Did they say anything about Wednesday?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

If Danny can't play, I say we replace DJ with Lance, who still plays a decent number of wing minutes but his other minutes go to OJ.

Lance has been getting better and better running the offense. There's the argument that the point guard needs to more about providing leadership and control. That has more mojo with the starters but I think we can't make it work with the second unit where instant offense and a little wild aggression can be viewed as positive.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

Granger sits out second half again
    It was one half and done again for Pacers swingman Danny Granger on Sunday.

Granger only played eight minutes against the Bulls because of soreness in his left knee, the same knee that caused him to miss most of this season.

He went scoreless, missing all three shots he attempted.

Granger played 10 minutes in the first half against the Toronto Raptors on Friday before being shutdown with “above average soreness” in his knee.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1

So you guys really think it's a big deal if they say a guy is going to be out 12 weeks, and he's out 14? I mean, seriously?

The expectations are just ridiculous. If he's pulled for soreness, which you should have known was going to happen or atleast a likely possibility, it's like it's the writing on the wall.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So you guys really think it's a big deal if they say a guy is going to be out 12 weeks, and he's out 14? I mean, seriously?

The expectations are just ridiculous. If he's pulled for soreness, which you should have known was going to happen or atleast a likely possibility, it's like it's the writing on the wall.
    Every week matters when it's March and you're zeroing in on the final stretch run of the season. I don't have high expectations because I've been skeptical about this situation all along. But it seems like people think that everything will all of the sudden be gravy with him once the playoffs roll around, as if his body will know it's the playoffs and the problem will just magically go away. It's March 4 and DG has had exactly one solid game this season. He's played a combined 18 minutes in the last two games and had to be benched early in both of them because of soreness. Overall, he has not looked very good since coming back. Was rust to be expected? Of course. But there's a big difference between "rust", versus getting pulled out after playing extremely limited minutes. Fans can't just turn their heads and ignore the situation. It's not January anymore. We're running out of time for the team and Granger to find their rhythm together. The clock is ticking on the season.

What Peck said in his odd thoughts wasn't exactly encouraging:

I saw Danny bend over and rub his knee after he missed his third shot. I knew immediately by the look on his face he was in pain. When he went to the bench the dude looked nauseated. I’ve seen Danny enough to know when something is wrong and I’m telling you something was wrong and it wasn’t just typical soreness. I hope there is no damage but again his face both on the floor and on the bench did not say “typical soreness” to me.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

billbradley

I saw the same thing Peck did, but it should also be noted that Danny didn't go straight to locker room, he sat on the bench.

Sollozzo, when Since says "the expectations are ridiculous," I don't think he means that you believe Danny will come back and play amazing. I think he means that you are expecting Danny to make every deadline with zero setbacks if he is going to be able to play this season. In that sense, expectations are too high, as Danny could take another month playing these sporadic minutes and still be ready for the playoffs. It might not happen, but it's not too late either.