View Poll Results: Do you like Danny Granger?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure I do

160 97.56%
  • I don't particularly like Danny Granger

4 2.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

Banned

Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Okay I'm not sure you & I have ever had this debate before, if we have I don't remember it.

If we both concede he is not a superstar then do you not consider him a star either?

Danny has not been an star in a least two years, yes his numbers have been up there but "true stars" do other things on the court other than score.

You don't have to define star but just give me some examples of who fits the star category for you. Also let me make sure to be clear here, I'm talking about the healthy Danny Granger. Obviously he is not a star caliber player at the moment.

But go back a year or two, was he a star then? But really I'm more interested in seeing who you have as a star player.
    Stars to me are players that bring other things other than scoring to the table, I can tell you that if Danny in his prime was as good as Paul George right now nobody would have been complaining about him.

It is hard for me to put Danny on the star category when he obviously only cared about scoring and took defensive plays off for many years, I mean one thing is try and not been able to do it but another thing is just not trying just because you don't want to.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Danny has not been an star in a least two years, yes his numbers have been up there but "true stars" do other things on the court other than score.

Stars to me are players that bring other things other than scoring to the table, I can tell you that if Danny in his prime was as good as Paul George right now nobody would have been complaining about him.

It is hard for me to put Danny on the star category when he obviously only cared about scoring and took defensive plays off for many years, I mean one thing is try and not been able to do it but another thing is just not trying just because you don't want to.
    This type of post would carry a lot more weight if you didn't have a mancrush on Monta Ellis; the king of volume shooting and offensive inefficiency.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This type of post would carry a lot more weight if you didn't have a mancrush on Monta Ellis; the king of volume shooting and offensive inefficiency.
    Monta used to be an star I don't think he is anymore so my point is still the same, I believe that he can be the perfect 6th man to a championship team though.

edit: Note that I wanted to trade Danny to get some value before his knees gave up so Monta to me was the best option to replace him.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Monta used to be an star I don't think he is anymore so my point is still the same, I believe that he can be the perfect 6th man to a championship team though.
    Ahh, I didn't realize you had altered your opinion of him. I agree, for once. I think he would be a very high caliber sixth man--much like Jamal Crawford in Lob City.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Ahh, I didn't realize you had altered your opinion of him. I agree, for once. I think he would be a very high caliber sixth man--much like Jamal Crawford in Lob City.

I think he can be a better option than Crawford, he brings better passing and he has more tools to score, I also believe that Monta's decision making can be fixed with a better coach, somebody like Vogel can do a lot for a guy like Monta I think.

Back to the question at hand then, what players do you consider star players?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

edit: Note that I wanted to trade Danny to get some value before his knees gave up so Monta to me was the best option to replace him.
    Greg Oden's knees gave up... Allan Houston's knees gave up.... Danny Granger had a knee injury that was different from any other injury he has had in the past. I know you have been told this before so don't dismiss that information now to prove a pathetic point.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    "As much as ever" is technically false...by about .7 FGA/gm..lol if you wanna look at it factually lol.
    When you look at per 36, the shot attempts were exactly the same as the year before. Then when you take into account his usage rate and assist % went down, you could make the argument his game was more selfish last year than the year before. That's after adding an all-star caliber player in D. West and with Roy's emergence as an all-star. I've made this point several times before, but the narrative stays the same. Reality is Danny didn't take a step back for his teammates last year. He was the same ol' Danny.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

I think he can be a better option than Crawford, he brings better passing and he has more tools to score, I also believe that Monta's decision making can be fixed with a better coach, somebody like Vogel can do a lot for a guy like Monta I think.
    This. I'd love to see Monta in a better situation. People here kill Monta for losing, but the fact is he's been on some pretty bad teams. I'd like to believe if he was here, on defensive minded team that had a chance to win it all, he'd be more efficient and a better defender. Especially if it was primarily at the 1. Monta seems to be well liked by his teammates, and while he's prone to taking dumb shots, you can't question his heart. I guess that's why I'm a fan. Dude's a good teammate and plays as hard as anyone.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Dude's a good teammate and plays as hard as anyone.
    That's all well and good, but lots of guys in the league play hard and are good teammates. But many of those guys don't take horrible shots and they actually play defense. I might be in the minority on this one, but that's why I'd much rather have guys like George Hill than guys like Monta Ellis.

If you "play as hard as anyone" on a bad team, going to a good team doesn't magically make you a better defender.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

This. I'd love to see Monta in a better situation. People here kill Monta for losing, but the fact is he's been on some pretty bad teams. I'd like to believe if he was here, on defensive minded team that had a chance to win it all, he'd be more efficient and a better defender. Especially if it was primarily at the 1. Monta seems to be well liked by his teammates, and while he's prone to taking dumb shots, you can't question his heart. I guess that's why I'm a fan. Dude's a good teammate and plays as hard as anyone.
    Danny's got heart and is loved by his teammates yet you just talked about you not liking his game bc he shoots too much; yet you like Monta who prob has the same deficiencies as Danny, just as a small 2-guard.

Also note: I'm a fan Monta, but feel he's gotten worse since traded to MIL.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

When you look at per 36, the shot attempts were exactly the same as the year before. Then when you take into account his usage rate and assist % went down, you could make the argument his game was more selfish last year than the year before. That's after adding an all-star caliber player in D. West and with Roy's emergence as an all-star. I've made this point several times before, but the narrative stays the same. Reality is Danny didn't take a step back for his teammates last year. He was the same ol' Danny.
    Is PG a "chucker"? No he isn't. And he takes the same number of shot attempts as Danny did last season.

When you're the leading scorer, you shoot more. But even so, 15/game is hardly a lot. No he's not a playmaker, or a good passer, but that doesn't make him a "chucker" IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    That's all well and good, but lots of guys in the league play hard and are good teammates. But many of those guys don't take horrible shots and they actually play defense. I might be in the minority on this one, but that's why I'd much rather have guys like George Hill than guys like Monta Ellis.

If you "play as hard as anyone" on a bad team, going to a good team doesn't magically make you a better defender.
    Like Vnzla said, I think he could use the coaching and veteran leadership a team like ours would provide. He wouldn't need to shoot nearly as many shots because he'd have other players on the court with him that can score in the half court. Defensively, just guarding people his size would be helpful. At the 2 he gives up more size on a nightly basis than probably anyone in the league.

I still think he could be the perfect point guard for our system. Ellis/D. West Pick and pop would be deadly, and Ellis in transition with Paul and Lance would be unstoppable and very entertaining. Monta wants to win... that I'm sure of after watching him all these years. I think playing on a team like ours would be the perfect situation for him.

I don't understand the reason to start this poll. Do I like Danny Granger? As a person or a player? I imagine hardly anybody on this site knows him off the court.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Danny's got heart and is loved by his teammates yet you just talked about you not liking his game bc he shoots too much; yet you like Monta who prob has the same deficiencies as Danny, just as a small 2-guard.

Also note: I'm a fan Monta, but feel he's gotten worse since traded to MIL.
    Danny shooting bad shots is just one of the reasons I don't like his game. IMO his awareness on both ends is pretty low. He doesn't have a lot of natural instincts on the court.

Is PG a "chucker"? No he isn't. And he takes the same number of shot attempts as Danny did last season.

When you're the leading scorer, you shoot more. But even so, 15/game is hardly a lot. No he's not a playmaker, or a good passer, but that doesn't make him a "chucker" IMO.
    Danny takes some bad shots and so does Paul. I don't really have a problem with the shots taken, I just don't care for Danny's tunnel vision. I mean, the guy still dribbles with his head down like a high schooler. And again, I'm not saying it's his fault. He does the best he can.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at the Boston game when Danny left his front teeth out on the floor. And that was after missing the playoffs for the previous two years. He had nothing really to play for during those bad years, but he always played hard and he was always a model citizen and ambassador for the city of Indianapolis. I have nothing but respect for Granger as a man, and I respect his professionalism and his game.

Going back to the 2005 draft, we forget how easily it could have been Joey Graham or Gerald Green (who were picked right before and after)
    Imo Danny was the Paul George before our current Paul George, and was becoming a defensive stud under Carlisle, but couldnt develop that aspect of his game under JOB.

Truth is, Danny was never in a good position in his years with us. Right after he was drafted Artest became crazy again and had to be traded. The following year Al and Jax as well. Those JOB-Dunleavy-Murphy teams were awful yet he stuck with us and was our sole light at the end of the tunnel. He became an All Star and had 2 seasons of 25/5/3. Never demand a trade or wanted to bolt for a bigger market.

Now Danny is a veteran and our young core is ready to take over, and he willingly hands the reign over while mentoring Paul George. What did he ever do wrong to warrant any dislike or hate?

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Auggie For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Going back to the 2005 draft, we forget how easily it could have been Joey Graham or Gerald Green (who were picked right before and after)
    Imo Danny was the Paul George before our current Paul George, and was becoming a defensive stud under Carlisle, but couldnt develop that aspect of his game under JOB.

Truth is, Danny was never in a good position in his years with us. Right after he was drafted Artest became crazy again and had to be traded. The following year Al and Jax as well. Those JOB-Dunleavy-Murphy teams were awful yet he stuck with us and was our sole light at the end of the tunnel. He became an All Star and had 2 seasons of 25/5/3. Never demand a trade or wanted to bolt for a bigger market.

Now Danny is a veteran and our young core is ready to take over, and he willingly hands the reign over while mentoring Paul George. What did he ever do wrong to warrant any dislike or hate?
    Well said. Here, here.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post

I think blaming JOB for Danny's poor defense is a stretch. Defense is mainly effort and Danny has never give a great effort on the defensive end of the floor.... ...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I don't understand the reason to start this poll. Do I like Danny Granger? As a person or a player? I imagine hardly anybody on this site knows him off the court.
    Exactly.

As a player.

I guess I'm kind of curious what Danny Granger did to get people to dislike him. Get paid? Have a knee injury?

He's been a model citizen since his time here and was really our only beacon of hope under a very dark period of Pacers' basketball. When healthy, he's an all-star caliber talent who was willing to stick around for this franchise.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, since it's clear that at least a few people were voting because they mistakenly thought I was asking about how they felt about the guy as a person, this poll is meaningless, I guess.

I mean, I guess I meant it in an overall sense, but I thought it was kind of assumed that it would be mostly about the guy as a basketball player given that's what we mostly know about him.

Mood

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I think blaming JOB for Danny's poor defense is a stretch. Defense is mainly effort and Danny has never give a great effort on the defensive end of the floor.... ...
    He's doing better now because his coach now demands a strong defensive effort. I think some blame is rightly placed on JOB for emphasizing offense over defense. I believe Danny will follow Vogel's lead. I don't doubt Danny's desire or effort. But I do have concern that so many years of ingrained habits may not be overcome so quickly.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Well, since it's clear that at least a few people were voting because they mistakenly thought I was asking about how they felt about the guy as a person, this poll is meaningless, I guess.

I mean, I guess I meant it in an overall sense, but I thought it was kind of assumed that it would be mostly about the guy as a basketball player given that's what we mostly know about him.
    To me it's all one and the same, I understand though why others think differently.

Danny wasn't just a good player IMO, he was a shining beacon on a hill as a human after having players who were too cool, gangsters (literally), criminals, malcontents and miscreants.

So to me it all comes together, but I understand that if he were a bad basketball player his positive personal attributes would be meaningless.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: