View Poll Results: Do you like Danny Granger?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure I do

    160 97.56%
  • I don't particularly like Danny Granger

    4 2.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

  1. #1
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Simple question. Do you like Granger, or do you not like Granger? I appreciate that there is nuance to answering a question like this but ultimately I think it's unlikely that anyone is truly absolutely neutral on this, so pick one.

  2. #2
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,904

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    All hail Danny
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

  3. #3
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,450

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Danny was our best player during some really rough years and is still an integral part of our core.

    I think Pacer fans owe Danny a lot. He played for years for a small-market team with questionable coaching that was trying to rebuild without sucking, so it wasn't even like we had the chance of bringing in someone hyped like Kyrie Irving or John Wall during the lean years. A lot of players would have been a pain in the *** or given up, but Danny played through it and was affable along the way. Good guy and will always be one of my favorite Pacers. I would say right now in terms of memory of Pacer fans, he will end up being remembered not as one of the absolute best, but in that second tier of really talented Pacers. He will be a more popular player in Pacers lore than JO when it is said and done. May be a top ten NBA-era Pacer in terms of talent, would have to think about it but my inclination is he is.
    Last edited by idioteque; 03-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    My fav Pacer. His popularity went down among our fans because he didn't turn into the franchise player people hoped he would be, because George is playing on his spot and starting to emerge and because we're pretty much a good team this season even without him.

    I remember how in his MIP year people treated him like George is treated right now. I guess people got short memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simple question. Do you like Granger, or do you not like Granger? I appreciate that there is nuance to answering a question like this but ultimately I think it's unlikely that anyone is truly absolutely neutral on this, so pick one.
    It is not as simple as that but since you made it that way, I voted that I liked him. That does not mean that I don't see his limitations and short comings. I also think that he has already been replaced and some people just aren't willing to accept that. ...

  8. #6
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,450

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    I always get irritated when people are angry that Danny isn't a superstar, there are 5-10 superstars in the entire league at any time, they're pretty rare folks.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    I love Danny. He's been completely loyal through the good and the bad. I hope he stays in Indy his whole career.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  11. #8
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,083

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always get irritated when people are angry that Danny isn't a superstar, there are 5-10 superstars in the entire league at any time, they're pretty rare folks.
    Who knew that 18-20 PPG was a disappointment. Outside of the superstars, only about 10 players can do that annually.

    Even PG who some think is a superstar, has yet to do that. Which isn't a knock on PG and his great all around game, but it shows that it's not simple to put up those types of scoring numbers consistently.

    Even with his shot being off this far, and the fact that he's getting into shape, DG is already one of our better scorers and may already be the best at drawing fouls. He's for sure under appreciated for what he is simply bc he's not a superstar
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 03-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    I love Danny Granger. He's probably my 2nd favorite (1st will always be Reggie). A true professional in a league plagued by unprofessional players (ex. D. Howard). A player who stuck with the Pacers through thick and thin, and never wavered after floods of trade rumors every single year. A tough guy that comes back strong after injuries and never quits. A guy that follows the coach whether he's a good one or a bad one. An unselfish guy who never minds sharing the spotlight, or give them totally to his teammates. Has always been the supportive player and a player that just wants to win regardless of who's the hero. A true leader in a sense of being the big brother to the young guys. And a high character guy on and off the court, has never been a shame to the franchise, and have been there for the fans, Pacers employees, and to the Indiana community.

    Out of the 2005 draft pick he's easily one of the best 5 players right now. And right now he's probably the 3rd best player on that draft, with CP3 and DWill as your top 2. Bogut is too unhealthy to even do something in the Bucks and right in the Warriors, and as for Bynum, there's flashes of a great center there. But most of his years weren't as good as Danny's numbers, his 2 finals appearances he wasn't a big factor, and his only remarkable season was last year because that's the only year he's healthy, where he's basically looking to oust Dwight as the best center in the league.
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 03-02-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Well this is a resounding yes, until the two (we all know who I'm talking about) users see the poll.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  16. #11
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Of course I like Danny Granger. He has always represented our franchise with complete class, and by all accounts is an excellent teammate. I certainly feel bad for him in that his physical prime coincided with the years that our rosters were complete garbage.

    That being said, I'm well aware of the harsh realities of the NBA. We've already invested quite a bit of money into Roy Hibbert and George Hill. Roy Hibbert is the anchor of our defense, and George Hill is a clutch young point guard who happens to be the best Pacer at the position since Mark Jackson. Both are young and aren't going anywhere. Virtually everyone agrees that we have to keep David West if we want to remain being one of the best teams in the NBA. We're obviously going to have to give Paul George a big payday down the line. Roy, West, George Hill, and PG all bring something unique to the table, but Danny was essentially replaced by PG this year. The simple fact is that we likely aren't going to have enough money for Granger if he is commanding a big payday. If Danny goes out and plays really well next year and stays healthy, then it's almost guaranteed that another team will dangle some money in front of him.

    Some here might think that Danny will give the Pacers a big financial break out of "loyalty", but I don't believe that for a second. I remember last year when people were saying that Roy would give the Pacers a hometown discount because Roy was such a great guy and was so grateful for the Pacers. We all saw how that worked out. He would have been perfectly content in Portland if the Pacers didn't match. With Granger, this will likely be the last big payday of his career. An athlete can be happy anywhere with the money they make. If Danny is like any other athlete, then he'll go where the most money is, as he should. As history has shown, athletes always chase money, yet fans still always hold out hope that their guy is special and will give their team a discount out of the goodness of their heart. Albert Puljos won two championships with the Cardinals and could have gone down as the greatest Cardinal of all time, yet bolted in a heartbeat because there was more money somewhere else. The bottom line is that I think the only way Granger is here beyond 2014 is if he doesn't play well enough next year to command big money from someone else.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #12

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Danny's cool. Don't like the way he plays the game tho. Not like he can help it or anything

  19. #13

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny's cool. Don't like the way he plays the game tho. Not like he can help it or anything
    I think his play adjust to the coach and to his teammates. He was looking like a defensive stud under Rick. He became a 3pt specialist (and practically played perimeter offense) under JOB. Then with Vogel he was practically an all-arounder on both ends of the court.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,450

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course I like Danny Granger. He has always represented our franchise with complete class, and by all accounts is an excellent teammate. I certainly feel bad for him in that his physical prime coincided with the years that our rosters were complete garbage.

    That being said, I'm well aware of the harsh realities of the NBA. We've already invested quite a bit of money into Roy Hibbert and George Hill. Roy Hibbert is the anchor of our defense, and George Hill is a clutch young point guard who happens to be the best Pacer at the position since Mark Jackson. Both are young and aren't going anywhere. Virtually everyone agrees that we have to keep David West if we want to remain being one of the best teams in the NBA. We're obviously going to have to give Paul George a big payday down the line. Roy, West, George Hill, and PG all bring something unique to the table, but Danny was essentially replaced by PG this year. The simple fact is that we likely aren't going to have enough money for Granger if he is commanding a big payday. If Danny goes out and plays really well next year and stays healthy, then it's almost guaranteed that another team will dangle some money in front of him.

    Some here might think that Danny will give the Pacers a big financial break out of "loyalty", but I don't believe that for a second. I remember last year when people were saying that Roy would give the Pacers a hometown discount because Roy was such a great guy and was so grateful for the Pacers. We all saw how that worked out. He would have been perfectly content in Portland if the Pacers didn't match. With Granger, this will likely be the last big payday of his career. An athlete can be happy anywhere with the money they make. If Danny is like any other athlete, then he'll go where the most money is, as he should. As history has shown, athletes always chase money, yet fans still always hold out hope that their guy is special and will give their team a discount out of the goodness of their heart. Albert Puljos won two championships with the Cardinals and could have gone down as the greatest Cardinal of all time, yet bolted in a heartbeat because there was more money somewhere else. The bottom line is that I think the only way Granger is here beyond 2014 is if he doesn't play well enough next year to command big money from someone else.
    Yeah, and we have to remember the implications of Danny's next deal from his own perspective: it will in all likelihood be the last multi-year, big dollar contract he gets in the NBA. In other words, the next 4-5 years will be the most important in Danny's life financially. He is going to want the most money he can get and I don't blame him. Say Danny has a good year next year and gets 4/40 or something like that. He'll be 34 and declining with a lot of miles on those knees when the contract is up and he'll probably play out the rest of his NBA years on contracts like Dunleavy has now.

    If/when Danny leaves, I hope Pacers fans understand his situation. Yes we are talking about millions of dollars here, but these guys pay a boatload of money in taxes and agent fees. Danny will retire rich but not wealthy.
    Last edited by idioteque; 03-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,975

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    He's great. I like him a lot more now that he's shown a willingness to hand over the baton. I do consider Granger a very good NBA player and I'm glad he's a Pacer.

    I thought for some time we should trade him when his value was high. Now that his knee is questionable, his value is much lower. Yet keeping him may have been the right decision. I did not think this team would be this capable this early of competing for a title.

    In any event, Danny is a good egg. He's a great team mate.

  24. #16
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Should I have voted no because I love Danny Granger?

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  26. #17

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    It's unanimous
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  27. #18
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Danny got me through some rough times in pacers basketball. Wen all your friends think your crazy for watching a team that has players like mike d and Murphy as thier 2nd and 3rd options he was always our light at the end of the tunnel. I am happy he finally has a real team to play with and can enjoy winning.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Member PacersRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    660

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Of all the players who we associate with the pacers, Danny is the only one who I've watched starting from his rookie season. This might sound ridiculous, but though I really like Jermaine Oneal and Reggie, Danny is probably my favorite pacer all time (although I started watching the Pacers during mid 1990s, I didn't really understand the game until reggie's last few years, which was when Danny was a rookie).

  30. #20
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of all the players who we associate with the pacers, Danny is the only one who I've watched starting from his rookie season. This might sound ridiculous, but though I really like Jermaine Oneal and Reggie, Danny is probably my favorite pacer all time (although I started watching the Pacers during mid 1990s, I didn't really understand the game until reggie's last few years, which was when Danny was a rookie).
    Danny was a rookie in 2005-06, which was the first season without Reggie.

  31. #21
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,179

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Dale?

    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  33. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    I'm not sure I understand the question. I've never been particularly high on Granger's game. I prefer my tall/strong swing man to be able to finish powerfully at the rim, and that's never been his game. I also have at times questioned his commitment to defense and he has shot us out of many games. I also really disliked the narrative that he was stepping back last year, when reality was he was chucking as much as ever and connecting at an embarrassing low rate for the majority of the season.

    That doesn't mean I haven't appreciated the fact that he's been a very good player in the past, even with his limitations.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Member Jose31917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    115

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Yes he is my favorite Pacer. And I hope he can stay a Pacer for the remainder of his career.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

  36. #24
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Thought it was gonna be croz, but it's Dece.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pulse of the fan base 3/2/13: Do you like Danny Granger?

    Thought it was gonna be a certain Monta Ellis fan...

  39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 200
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM
  2. Pulse of the fan base: Lance vs DC
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
  3. Who is like danny Granger?
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 12:03 AM
  4. Danny Granger
    By DaSMASH in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
  5. DANNY GRANGER: FROM S.I.
    By odeez in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •