Thread: Anybody Catch The New Eagles Documentary On Showtime?

Default Anybody Catch The New Eagles Documentary On Showtime?

Man there was a lot of drama in that band. Probably mostly due to the "gods"(Henley and Frey) wanting to control everything. Not a lot of new info for hardcore Eagles fans but it is a very well put together 3 hour documentary in two parts. I think they try to portray Henley and Frye as a little more human but I can still tell they are probably ******** in real life. Success of that magnitude can really go to your head I guess. I really do recommend trying to catch this. It's hard to deny that in the 70's they were the all American rock band.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anybody Catch The New Eagles Documentary On Showtime?

I may have to subscribe to Showtime just so I can see it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I may have to subscribe to Showtime just so I can see it.
    You can find it on the net for download but I'm not providing any links

I caught it on Directv 'on demand' the other night. I've never been a huge Eagles fan but I can certainly respect what they've done and their place in music history (and I do like a lot of their stuff). I did see the Eagles in concert once.... Assembly Hall at IU. I'm fairly sure it was the Long Run tour but it's been a long time ago and I had to ride my dinosaur there.

I didn't know about Frey and Bob Seger so that was news to me. Just the other day I caught Joe Walsh on whatever that Directv channel is that has the Guitar Center show and Joe impressed me with his new perspective on life after finally cleaning up. This was prior to seeing the Eagles documentary. This Eagles documentary dove-tailed neatly with that and I'm glad I caught the Joe Walsh show first. It gave a little more gravitas to hearing what Joe had to say in the documentary.

I wasn't that in tune with the early incarnations of the Eagles so that was informing to me.

Felder kind of comes off as the 3rd wheel... Kind of like the guy that almost understands where his bread is buttered but just can't ultimately admit to it and then stirs the pot for everyone. It looks to me like Henley and Frey and a guy with a high voice playing bass and a couple of good blues based guitarists ARE the Eagles. Walsh seems to understand that... Felder not so much. Although I'm sure Felder has lots of valid arguments I'm not sure they win out if his ultimate goal is/was to stay in the band. And from the Henley and Frey's perspective there was an Eagles before there was an Eagles that included Felder. The Eagles might've started for Don Felder the day he joined, but they were already a well traveled band before that.

I do wonder what the exact disparity in "Hell Freezes Over" $% splits turned out to be?
    Last edited by Bball; 03-02-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Excellent post Bball! I think you are exactly right regarding Felder. He should have just went with the flow and let the gods have a little bigger split. He would still be in the band and still be making millions to boot. Felder did get a nice court settlement from the band though. I think the reason he has sour grapes is that shortly after he joined the band's manager set up a "handshake" contract that supposedly guaranteed that from that day forward all profits would be split evenly among the members. I don't think it happened that way and I think that's part of the reason he is slightly bitter to this day.

I also recommend Felder's book if you haven't read it. It's called Heaven and Hell. Doesn't shed a kind light on Henley and Frey but that's to be expected I guess.