Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warriors' Klay Thompson's dad will cut his allowance after league fine

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Warriors' Klay Thompson's dad will cut his allowance after league fine

This to me is the opposite end of the spectrum from those riches-to-rags story. It's a frugal lesson, I spose, but it's still pretty extreme. It's one thing to be frugal, but to not let a man have some semblance of freedom, independence, and responsibility is almost disrespectful to Klay as a man. Teach Klay from age two years... the value of money, good decision-making, the importance of conserving, let him learn and make his good decisions but also allow him to take his lumps and learn lessons... that's called parenting, from Day 1. Controlling his bank at age 25 or whatever is just... overboard. Be an advisor, a parent, guide him towards the right decisions... I guess it's not so much even the $300 weekly limit, as much as the kid has absolutely no say in his money. That to me is wrong. Of course it's wrong to make $100,000,000 in your career and be broke, but I firmly believe in raising a kid right and that won't happen. You gotta do the work early, not later... as a parent. That's what that sounds like to me. Or maybe they did start in with the control early and never relinquished it... which is plain over-bearance. It even sounds like his dad is managing his bills. I just don't see how that is supposed to prepare him at all for anything. Even reading the article from today when Mychal watched Klay go over and shove Hibbert, he called him an idiot. What kind of parenting job is this? Do everything for him, stifle growth, and then call him an idiot.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Warriors' Klay Thompson's dad will cut his allowance after league fine

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It just smells like one of those situations where the word agreement has to be put in quotation marks based off of what could be an overbearing father.
    Yeah the key factoid I think is the fact that dad is going to cut out some of the allowance because Klay got into a fight in a game. That goes well beyond any sort of money-management thing and straight into "I'm your dad and I'm going to punish you." It does seem awfully weird.

Having said that, I guess it's better then the opposite extreme where an athlete earns hundreds of millions only to lose it all and end up totally broke. Mike Tyson anyone?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    It just smells like one of those situations where the word agreement has to be put in quotation marks based off of what could be an overbearing father.
    He's an "overbearing father" who has seen first hand how professional athletes can squander millions and end up broke. I would have to think he has shared those cautionary tales with his son over the years and that they came to this arrangement together. If not, and if Klay decides he doesn't like the arrangement anymore, he's not a minor, I'd have to think he could back out any time.

I'd love to see the particulars, legally or otherwise, of their arrangement, though.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

I don't think Klay is learning a damn thing about financial responsibility. What he's learning is that Dad'll take care of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    I don't think Klay is learning a damn thing about financial responsibility. What he's learning is that Dad'll take care of it.
    So, you think his father gives him his allowance, but offers nothing else along with it? Nothing about financial responsibility, nothing about the importance of saving your money, no cautionary tales, nothing?

"Just take your allowance, son, and shut up. I don't owe you any explanation or words of wisdom!"

Yeah, that's probably how it goes.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    So, you think his father gives him his allowance, but offers nothing else along with it? Nothing about financial responsibility, nothing about the importance of saving your money, no cautionary tales, nothing?

"Just take your allowance, son, and shut up. I don't owe you any explanation or words of wisdom!"

Yeah, that's probably how it goes.
    We don't know how it goes. You have no inside knowledge of how it works. Sure, maybe he's trying to teach his son how to be responsible with money, but look at it from an outsider's perspective. 23 year old guy is getting an allowance from his own paycheck. Someone else is determining his weekly spending budget. Someone else pays his bills on time. Someone else pays his taxes and balances his checkbook. If he's actually learning how to be responsible, it's not through experience.
    Last edited by TinManJoshua; 03-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.

We don't know how it goes. You have no inside knowledge of how it works. Sure, maybe he's trying to teach his son how to be responsible with money, but look at it from an outsider's perspective. 23 year old guy is getting an allowance from his own paycheck. Someone else is determining his weekly spending budget. Someone else pays his bills on time. Someone else pays his taxes and balances his checkbook. If he's actually learning how to be responsible, it's through experience.
    You're right, we don't know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We don't know how it goes. You have no inside knowledge of how it works. Sure, maybe he's trying to teach his son how to be responsible with money, but look at it from an outsider's perspective. 23 year old guy is getting an allowance from his own paycheck. Someone else is determining his weekly spending budget. Someone else pays his bills on time. Someone else pays his taxes and balances his checkbook. If he's actually learning how to be responsible, it's through experience.
    Do you?

Let the kid mess up on his own and he loses everything. People say what a terrible teacher you must have been and how you should have been more hands on

Help the kid out, pay his bills, tax care of his other expenses, and give him a stipend*, and you are an overbearing parents.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont

*minus the stipend part, dont most athletes have agents and accountants to help out with exactly the same stuff?

There is always room for a middle ground, but unless you raised the kid and know him personally, I am going to give the dad the benefit of the doubt.

I never made millions (come on powerball!), and I have learned plenty in my young life, but I would have loved to have had someone helping me out when I was a young man

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys know there is a middle ground right? I think his Dad has definitely gone over the top here. Having the checks in the parents name and everything.... its a bit much. There are plenty of ways to make sure your son doesn't waste all his money that are less controlling than this. And I think they would be more beneficial to Klay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Do you?

Let the kid mess up on his own and he loses everything. People say what a terrible teacher you must have been and how you should have been more hands on

Help the kid out, pay his bills, tax care of his other expenses, and give him a stipend*, and you are an overbearing parents.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont

*minus the stipend part, dont most athletes have agents and accountants to help out with exactly the same stuff?

There is always room for a middle ground, but unless you raised the kid and know him personally, I am going to give the dad the benefit of the doubt.

I never made millions (come on powerball!), and I have learned plenty in my young life, but I would have loved to have had someone helping me out when I was a young man
    No I don't. I can only go off of what the article says. The article says Klay's paychecks are written in his parent's names and that he receives a weekly stipend for spending money. Based on the knowledge I have from the article, the conclusion I came to was that his dad is not only his accountant but treating him like a teenager still. YMMV. That's fine I didn't say I was right, just expressing my opinion based on the information given in the article. Maybe Klay learns by being told. I don't know, but the majority learns by doing. He's not doing the "doing", based on what is presented in the article.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a feeling that his dad knows what he is doing. Being employed with others in the same scenario and witnessing them being dumb with money is something that strikes him more than any of us will know. Also, teaching your son about the values of saving money will help... until he is making $2M and is surrounded by idiots throwing their money away. Monkey see, monkey do, anybody? I think its just fine for him to be doing this because he knows his son could fall into the same trap as many others, so wants to show him how to conserve and live on a sliced paycheck to ready him for post rookie deal life.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

This is the equivalent of having an accountant or investor handle your money. Good for the Thompsons.

Quick note - Young people who receive money lose it period. Regardless of profession. The military is a great example of that.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So apparently everyone got punked?

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell

Story that Mychal Thompson receives son Klay’s paycheck and would deduct $ for fight was a joke. Warriors pay Klay directly.
    Expand
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I'm not so prideful that I can't admit I was wrong. I was wrong.