Thread: Warriors' Klay Thompson's dad will cut his allowance after league fine

Threaded View

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Warriors' Klay Thompson's dad will cut his allowance after league fine

This to me is the opposite end of the spectrum from those riches-to-rags story. It's a frugal lesson, I spose, but it's still pretty extreme. It's one thing to be frugal, but to not let a man have some semblance of freedom, independence, and responsibility is almost disrespectful to Klay as a man. Teach Klay from age two years... the value of money, good decision-making, the importance of conserving, let him learn and make his good decisions but also allow him to take his lumps and learn lessons... that's called parenting, from Day 1. Controlling his bank at age 25 or whatever is just... overboard. Be an advisor, a parent, guide him towards the right decisions... I guess it's not so much even the $300 weekly limit, as much as the kid has absolutely no say in his money. That to me is wrong. Of course it's wrong to make $100,000,000 in your career and be broke, but I firmly believe in raising a kid right and that won't happen. You gotta do the work early, not later... as a parent. That's what that sounds like to me. Or maybe they did start in with the control early and never relinquished it... which is plain over-bearance. It even sounds like his dad is managing his bills. I just don't see how that is supposed to prepare him at all for anything. Even reading the article from today when Mychal watched Klay go over and shove Hibbert, he called him an idiot. What kind of parenting job is this? Do everything for him, stifle growth, and then call him an idiot.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: