Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irsay sits down with Kravitz

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay sits down with Kravitz

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand that trade. Marshall could have made Peyton's job a lot easier.
    If I remember right....Marshall didn't want any part of the rebuilding stage, or it was a money issue...I'm not sure, but, I think Marshall wanted out for one reason or another.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I still don't understand that trade. Marshall could have made Peyton's job a lot easier.
    Edge came in immediately after Faulk left and had one of the best seasons ever for a rookie running back in 1999 (1,553 yds). He followed that up with a spectacular 1,709 yards in his second season, but unfortunately got hurt badly in 2001 and wasn't really the same again until 2003. I don't think we missed Faulk too much. It's hard to be much better than Edge was in 1999 and 2000. Edge had more yards than Faulk in each of those two seasons (Faulk had 1,381 and 1,359).

Who knows just how great Edge could have been if it weren't for that injury? It cost him his third year and he really wasn't the same the next year either.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    If I remember right....Marshall didn't want any part of the rebuilding stage, or it was a money issue...I'm not sure, but, I think Marshall wanted out for one reason or another.
    I remember it being money... and Polian bristled and dealt Faulk. And for not a really good deal either. The main thing I took away from this was that if you made Polian angry don't be surprised to see him deal you at the first chance, not necessarily the best deal for either of you.

So I could see him angry with Peyton and at least considering the option of trading him away to show him who is boss.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So I could see him angry with Peyton and at least considering the option of trading him away to show him who is boss.

Marshall Faulk was a very good player here, but he did not have the stature as a Colt that Manning did in 2004 (league MVP, face of the league, etc). It's one thing to trade Marshall Faulk, but Polian had to have known that there's no way Irsay would have ever allowed him to trade away Peyton Manning. I'm not the biggest Polian fan, but I continue to believe that the comment was made in jest during the heat of the frustrating negotiations, i.e. "F this, let's just trade him!". I think Irsay is exaggerating it big time, and that he's trying to reach out to those still irritated with the Manning release by saying: "hey look, Polian was ready to ship him out of here, but I'm the reason he stayed all of these years!".

Polian is full of crap a lot of the time, but I don't think Irsay is exactly above bs'ing a bit......

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Marshall Faulk was a very good player here, but he did not have the stature as a Colt that Manning did in 2004 (league MVP, face of the league, etc). It's one thing to trade Marshall Faulk, but Polian had to have known that there's no way Irsay would have ever allowed him to trade away Peyton Manning. I'm not the biggest Polian fan, but I continue to believe that the comment was made in jest during the heat of the frustrating negotiations, i.e. "F this, let's just trade him!". I think Irsay is exaggerating it big time, and that he's trying to reach out to those still irritated with the Manning release by saying: "hey look, Polian was ready to ship him out of here, but I'm the reason he stayed all of these years!".

Polian is full of crap a lot of the time, but I don't think Irsay is exactly above bs'ing a bit......
    How seriously it was considered or said I don't know, but I have no trouble thinking an angry Polian would go there, at least to the point of considering it or throwing it out there as an option before being talked back off the ledge (or calming down on his own). Irsay didn't say Polian went to war to get Peyton traded.

I don't think people fully grasp just how full of himself Polian really was/is. The man could care less about public opinion. I think there were times he went against public sentiment not because it was wrong but because he wanted to be the smartest man in the room and do it differently just to do something differently.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 PM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

How seriously it was considered or said I don't know, but I have no trouble thinking an angry Polian would go there, at least to the point of considering it or throwing it out there as an option before being talked back off the ledge (or calming down on his own). Irsay didn't say Polian went to war to get Peyton traded.

I don't think people fully grasp just how full of himself Polian really was/is. The man could care less about public opinion. I think there were times he went against public sentiment not because it was wrong but because he wanted to be the smartest man in the room and do it differently just to do something differently.

I obviously agree that Polian has one of the biggest egos on the planet. But I think that Irsay's desire to have positive PR is just as big. He is always trying to maximize the image of the team and its relationship with the community. In this case, I actually think it's more believable that Irsay is embellishing to make himself look good, rather than Polian actually being serious about doing this. Who has the most to benefit by bringing this up? Irsay, because he can come across as the guy who made sure to keep Manning around for all of those years. That's just my two cents though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand both your points but all in all we simply can't know. For all I know, Polian may come out tomorrow and firmly denies this. Good luck finding who's wrong and who's right.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Yes... I could believe it either way. Polian is a full of himself enough that it wouldn't surprise me is all I'm saying.

------

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm firmly in the "He said it, might have thought about it, wouldn't have gone through with it," camp.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

I literally danced when I heard we had shown Polian the door. I had been waiting so long. To me he still has that same smug self centered attitude on ESPN to some degree. I am SOOOOOO glad he is gone. If he is so good why doesn't he have another job by now? Just wondering out loud.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

If he was so good why didn't he have a lifetime job with the Buffalo Bills?

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe he's too old for that job now and prefers a less stressing and demanding job, like the one of being a pundit. Just saying.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Jim Irsay finally woke up to how Polian would place only folks supportive to Polian in place. I think Irsay had enough respect for Polian Sr. but he sure didn't like the idea of nepotism being used to entrench his son to take over.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Jim Irsay finally woke up to how Polian would place only folks supportive to Polian in place. I think Irsay had enough respect for Polian Sr. but he sure didn't like the idea of nepotism being used to entrench his son to take over.
    Agreed. I think Bill Polian started giving Chris "Fredo" Polian more control after we won the Super Bowl six years ago. Hence why the quality of our moves began going downhill. When we won the Super Bowl, Bill was 65 and literally had nothing else to accomplish. A championship was the one thing missing from his resume'. So it's not too hard to believe that he began handing more over to his son once he finally won that elusive trophy. The Polians had to go. The condescending temper tantrum to fans on his radio show after we quit against the Jets was the beginning of the end for the Polians.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.

If he was so good why didn't he have a lifetime job with the Buffalo Bills?
    Is there ever a personal reason to retire, after a firing, or do you just get unemployable? Not saying one way or the other, just don't think it's a sound foundation for a conclusion.

I think Bill was more than one foot out the door, hence the reason why Chris got more power. Bill's time was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Is there ever a personal reason to retire, after a firing, or do you just get unemployable? Not saying one way or the other, just don't think it's a sound foundation for a conclusion.

I think Bill was more than one foot out the door, hence the reason why Chris got more power. Bill's time was over.
    Agreed. Professional sports is a revolving door business. Even Phil Jackson was essentially kicked out of Chicago. Nothing lasts forever. Polian built a roster that was able to get to multiple Super Bowls. It's on the players at that point to get the job done and win the game.

Polian had an excellent career. He had success with three different franchises and built a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Edge came in immediately after Faulk left and had one of the best seasons ever for a rookie running back in 1999 (1,553 yds). He followed that up with a spectacular 1,709 yards in his second season, but unfortunately got hurt badly in 2001 and wasn't really the same again until 2003. I don't think we missed Faulk too much. It's hard to be much better than Edge was in 1999 and 2000. Edge had more yards than Faulk in each of those two seasons (Faulk had 1,381 and 1,359).

Who knows just how great Edge could have been if it weren't for that injury? It cost him his third year and he really wasn't the same the next year either.
    The main problem with that set of deals was that Faulk was traded for a 2nd rounder and 5th rounder. The Colts instead of Edge could have had 2 1sts, 2 3rds, a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. Edge was an awesome player for the Colts, but they clearly lost on that exchange. The Colts both sold Faulk for pennies on the dollar and didn't take advantage of one of the most desperate teams in the draft ever. So even though they didn't miss Faulk on the offense because of Edge, they still lost quite a bit of value.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

I just like reminding myself Polian was fired from the Colts and is no longer there....

------

-John Wooden