Thread: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers

Wow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...s-pick-sources

This comes on the heels of the news that Percy Harvin was traded to the Seahawks. Boy this 49er-Seahawk rivalry is going to be super intense in the coming years. Two loaded teams, two young stud quarterbacks, and two hothead coaches who can't stand each other. This will be great entertainment. I'm certainly rooting for Arians to succeed in Arizona, but he is going to have his work cut out for him with facing those two teams a combined four times a year. Also, St. Louis went 7-8-1 last year and wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Baltimore sure was fortunate to get that Super Bowl this season because they are going to be without some key players next year. Lewis has retired, Boldin is gone, and Kruger & Reed might be out the door soon. They better hope that Flacco is worth all of that money because they aren't going to have the talent that they've had in previous seasons.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...s-pick-sources

This comes on the heels of the news that Percy Harvin was traded to the Seahawks. Boy this 49er-Seahawk rivalry is going to be super intense in the coming years. Two loaded teams, two young stud quarterbacks, and two hothead coaches who can't stand each other. This will be great entertainment. I'm certainly rooting for Arians to succeed in Arizona, but he is going to have his work cut out for him with facing those two teams a combined four times a year. Also, St. Louis went 7-8-1 last year and wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Baltimore sure was fortunate to get that Super Bowl this season because they are going to be without some key players next year. Lewis has retired, Boldin is gone, and Kruger & Reed might be out the door soon. They better hope that Flacco is worth all of that money because they aren't going to have the talent that they've had in previous seasons.
    Why can't the Colts ever get these steals? 6th-rounder for arguably the MVP of the Ravens in the playoffs? Boldin played out of his mind and sometimes single-handedly carried them down the stretch, it was one of the most impressive post-season stretches I've ever seen from a WR. Even crazier that he left a SB-winning team and defected to their SB opponent.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-11-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Why can't the Colts ever get these steals? 6th-rounder for arguably the MVP of the Ravens in the playoffs? Boldin played out of his mind and sometimes single-handedly carried them down the stretch, it was one of the most impressive post-season stretches I've ever seen from a WR. Even crazier that he left a SB-winning team and defected to their SB opponent.
    I can't believe that Balitmore did this. You have to think they could have gotten something a bit better than a sixth round pick. I guarantee that someone would have ponied up at least a fifth rounder for him, maybe more. Great deal for San Francisco though. They have a ton of draft picks this year too. God that team is going to be talented next year.

Like I said, the Ravens better hope that Flacco is worth all of that jack because they are going to have significant less talent next season.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Surprised that Baltimore traded him to such a stacked team, unless they already knew he was going to sign there anyway and thought they might as well get something for it.

I've always kind of liked the 49ers, so good for them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I tried to argue this with my friend who is a Niners fan and he still acted like Crabapple was the better player. Crabapple was good last year, but Boldin literally carried that team in the playoffs more than any receiver I have seen. It seemed like every crucial third down they had he was making an amazing catch. He had the best post season run from a receiver that I can remember ever. That's why stats don't tell the whole story. The clutchness of some of his catches and the talent to make those amazing catches in those critical situations was phenomenal. I literally think he was the main reason Baltimore made and won the Super Bowl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stupid move by Baltimore. Really stupid move.

The 49'ers, a strong running team, just got a great run blocking wide out. Plus a guy who was plain clutch.

I think Baltimore regrets this contract they gave Flacco sooner rather then later

Wow... The whole point of overpaying Flacco in my mind would be to keep that Boldin/Flacco tandem together. I don't see this as a case where the QB made the WR. If anything it was the other way around...

Wow...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I tried to argue this with my friend who is a Niners fan and he still acted like Crabapple was the better player. Crabapple was good last year, but Boldin literally carried that team in the playoffs more than any receiver I have seen. It seemed like every crucial third down they had he was making an amazing catch. He had the best post season run from a receiver that I can remember ever. That's why stats don't tell the whole story. The clutchness of some of his catches and the talent to make those amazing catches in those critical situations was phenomenal. I literally think he was the main reason Baltimore made and won the Super Bowl.
    a lot of the same can be said about Crabtree though. He was fantastic for SF and was Kapernicks go to guy. Boldin is a great WR, but going forward you would be crazy to take Boldin over Crabtree.

EDIT: also, Baltimore won't even make the playoffs next year. They won't be close to being the same team and their division is brutal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    EDIT: also, Baltimore won't even make the playoffs next year. They won't be close to being the same team and their division is brutal.

Baltimore definitely won't be as good as the team that just won it all, but I still think they will make the playoffs. The Steelers aren't what they used to be and I don't see the Bengals doing too much better than their 10-6 record last year. Plus the Browns are still a joke. I still give the Ravens a very good chance at winning the division.

I'm sure glad the Colts are in the AFC. The NFC is clearly the deeper conference nowadays:

Mood

I agree. I think that division will be:

Browns(*gasp* )
    Bengals
    Ravens
    Steelers

Ravens are losing way too many play makers(Boldin, Reed, Kruger, Williams, Lewis, maybe even Ellerbe, bryant McKinnie). That is a LOT of talent. Steelers are in a very tough spot as well while both Bengals and Browns have tons of cap room and a lot of young talent. Changing of the guards.

I can't believe that Balitmore did this. You have to think they could have gotten something a bit better than a sixth round pick.
    No other members of the Harbaugh family were offering more.

the 6 million salary and eagerness to deal out of conference were likely both factors.

The 49ers are scary talented
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    No other members of the Harbaugh family were offering more.
    Ha! I can't believe I completely forgot about that angle. No kidding. "Hey bro, I got my ring, now I'll toss you a bone to help you get one...."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ha! I can't believe I completely forgot about that angle. No kidding. "Hey bro, I got my ring, now I'll toss you a bone to help you get one...."
    hahaha. Maybe their father played a part in this. "Hey John, you beat him, alright? Throw him a bone now".

Isn't Boldin the guy who said a month ago, he was gonna stay in Baltimore or retire?

Flacco said that Boldin was right not wanting any restructure in his contract and he should take the money he deserves. Hey Joe, you are right in principle but thanks to you, now it's not possible.

And yes, SF are indeed scaringly good. What they gave up is ridiculous for a player like Boldin (even if he's 32) and would remain ridiculous, if they didn't have like 14 picks in this draft.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    a lot of the same can be said about Crabtree though. He was fantastic for SF and was Kapernicks go to guy. Boldin is a great WR, but going forward you would be crazy to take Boldin over Crabtree.

Does this spell the end of Crabtree? He has a player option after this year so I could see him opting out for FA's and testing the market. Boldin is good but I agree with you. No way would I choose Boldin over Crabtree long term.

It's a good deal for SF, but not this HOLY HELL WTF IS BALTIMORE DOING? doing deal so many people seem to think. Boldin's a (will be by next season) 33 year old WR who hasn't had a thousand yard season in 3 years, and just barely then, on the last year of his contract and there was a good chance he'd get cut after that massive Flacco deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Boldin puts up like 50/600/2 next year. Which is certainly worth a 6th rounder, but when you're cap strapped and his hit's ~6 mil or whatever, not that hard a decision.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Does this spell the end of Crabtree? He has a player option after this year so I could see him opting out for FA's and testing the market. Boldin is good but I agree with you. No way would I choose Boldin over Crabtree long term.
    I would be shocked if SF left Crabtree go. Especially with how good he and Kapernick play together.