Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irsay sits down with Kravitz

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Irsay sits down with Kravitz

Good article. This little nugget from page 3 is particularly interesting:

According to Irsay, in 2004, a frustrated Polian was at wit’s end as he attempted to secure Manning’s new $98 million contract and, in a fit of pique, told Irsay, “We need to trade Peyton; we can get a bunch of defensive players and become like Tampa Bay or Baltimore.” Irsay said no. “Understand something, Bill, we are not trading Peyton Manning, period,’’ Irsay recalled telling the former team president.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...TS15/303010061

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Irsay sits down with Kravitz

Bill Polian truly is a magnificent example of one over valuing their self worth.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good article. This little nugget from page 3 is particularly interesting:

According to Irsay, in 2004, a frustrated Polian was at wit’s end as he attempted to secure Manning’s new $98 million contract and, in a fit of pique, told Irsay, “We need to trade Peyton; we can get a bunch of defensive players and become like Tampa Bay or Baltimore.” Irsay said no. “Understand something, Bill, we are not trading Peyton Manning, period,’’ Irsay recalled telling the former team president.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...TS15/303010061

While nobody in the NFL is untradeable I find it hard to believe that Polian of all people wanted to be defensive minded.. his entire team building concept was anything but. Makes me wonder if he really wanted Ryan Leaf but Irsay overruled.

In which case Thank you Jimbo

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bill Polian just wanted to sell when Manning's value was highest. Hard to get much higher than a 28 year old coming off his second consecutive MVP, 49 touchdowns, and a 121.1 passer rating.

Also, Polian can rot in hell.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    While nobody in the NFL is untradeable I find it hard to believe that Polian of all people wanted to be defensive minded.. his entire team building concept was anything but. Makes me wonder if he really wanted Ryan Leaf but Irsay overruled.

In which case Thank you Jimbo
    I wonder how much of it is true and how much of it is Irsay trying to get a jab in at Polian while coming across as "the good guy". For all we know, Polian could have made a comment like this in jest during the heat of the frustrating negotiations. It's not hard to believe that Irsay might exaggerate a bit about it. I have a hard time believing that Polian was seriously contemplating this when Manning was coming off of his first MVP season in which we lost in the AFC championship game. I think that Irsay is trying to make himself look like the good guy to those who are still ticked about us releasing Manning by saying "Hey, Polian was ready to ship him out, but I'm the reason he stayed here all of those years!".
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I wonder how much of it is true and how much of it is Irsay trying to get a jab in at Polian while coming across as "the good guy". For all we know, Polian could have made a comment like this in jest during the heat of the frustrating negotiations. It's not hard to believe that Irsay might exaggerate a bit about it. I have a hard time believing that Polian was seriously contemplating this when Manning was coming off of his first MVP season in which we lost in the AFC championship game.
    Good point I mean look at who his father was

Sports Logo

The hatred for Bill Polian and love for Donnie Walsh sort of baffles me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    There's love for Donnie Walsh?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Well my guess is that Polian has treated the fanbase like second class citizens most notably the decision the throw away the perfect season and dismissing why fans would be upset over such a thing.

Walsh as far as I recall never came across as an *** to the fanbase.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

..If the Colts had beaten the Jaguars that day and ended up with the second pick in the draft, would they have drafted Robert Griffin III and let Manning go?

Irsay said yes.

He would have drafted RGIII, but put him in a less run-happy offense. “I wouldn’t have exposed him to injury in the same way they have in Washington,” Irsay said. “My philosophy on quarterbacks is, first and foremost, you’ve got to keep them healthy and on the field.”

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    There's love for Donnie Walsh?
    Man, I hate when people say this. The dude was an amazing GM for damn near two decades, had a few poor years at the end. He built the best Pacer team in history. Why on earth would there not be love for him? Is this just the sentiment amongst younger people, who didn't really get to experience the pre-2000 Pacers? He rebuilt a wrecked Knicks squad, and now leads the #2 team in the East... He's proven over and over to be one of the top team architects in league history (all of whom go through some low periods). And still this is what he gets, even from his own fan base. My absolute best memories as a Pacer fan are all pre-2000, during the Walsh era. I have mad respect for the man. In that same vein, I hate when people rag on Polian, too. Yea, he was abrasive... yea, his last few years here left a bad taste... but he still brought us a decade of fantastic football and a Super Bowl. I understand it didn't end well, but you can't just dismiss the great things they did along the way.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    ..If the Colts had beaten the Jaguars that day and ended up with the second pick in the draft, would they have drafted Robert Griffin III and let Manning go?

Irsay said yes.

He would have drafted RGIII, but put him in a less run-happy offense. “I wouldn’t have exposed him to injury in the same way they have in Washington,” Irsay said. “My philosophy on quarterbacks is, first and foremost, you’ve got to keep them healthy and on the field.”

I don't buy that he'd draft RG3 I think he's only saying that now since RG3 had a great rookie season. If he had a bad season he would've said otherwise.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Well my guess is that Polian has treated the fanbase like second class citizens most notably the decision the throw away the perfect season and dismissing why fans would be upset over such a thing.

Walsh as far as I recall never came across as an *** to the fanbase.
    this is some of the most entitled self serving **** you'll ever see.

this is some of the most entitled self serving **** you'll ever see.
    To you perhaps but while the Colts were within their rights to make that decision the players obviously didn't agree with it either.

Had they said this days before the game it would've been easier to take but no they didn't they waited till halftime of that last home game to do it in front of the home fans no less. They only did that because they wanted people to come to the game and have those high ticket prices you think there would be an incentive to go if we knew that they weren't going for it. I mean really other than this team no other team in NFL would've done that period.

Then to top it off Polian doesn't understand why people wanted a shot at history etc.

It was handled badly and Polian being a jerk didn't help matters.

Do I expect him to be nice? Of course not

I do expect him to do his job well and the last few years he did not. Hence he was fired and deservedly so.

That being said Irsay is an idiot bringing up this trade that never happened now. I mean I hate Polian as much as the next person but what's the point in throwing him under the bus now he and Manning are both gone.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

IF this is true, then Polian is/was crazy. Worse than that, had he fulfilled a trade like that ( after Peyton's monster year as you mentioned), pretty sure the fans not only would have been enraged but also would have thrown him out of the team.

Wasn't watching the sport/ Colts at the time but have watched some Colts games from that era lately. Would it be absurd if I say that maybe Polian wouldn't have lasted in his job that much if Peyton hadn't been the face of the Colts and their best player for many years?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It’s not Peyton Manning, it’s not Jim Irsay, it’s circumstances and that why it’s happening.’ He understood we had to draft Luck; we weren’t going to trade him for picks. And he understood the cap room situation where, if he’d stayed, there would have been no Reggie Wayne, no Winston Justice, no Samson Satele, I’m not sure about Robert Mathis. We couldn’t have kept anybody. I mean, our offensive line would have been even worse than it was."

Have to say he talks about Justice and Satele like they were some major acquisitions. Not bad players but no big time too.
    Silver lining at the end? Seems to me they know our OL was bad last season and they will address it properly in the off season...hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Man, I hate when people say this. The dude was an amazing GM for damn near two decades, had a few poor years at the end. He built the best Pacer team in history. Why on earth would there not be love for him? Is this just the sentiment amongst younger people, who didn't really get to experience the pre-2000 Pacers? He rebuilt a wrecked Knicks squad, and now leads the #2 team in the East... He's proven over and over to be one of the top team architects in league history (all of whom go through some low periods). And still this is what he gets, even from his own fan base. My absolute best memories as a Pacer fan are all pre-2000, during the Walsh era. I have mad respect for the man. In that same vein, I hate when people rag on Polian, too. Yea, he was abrasive... yea, his last few years here left a bad taste... but he still brought us a decade of fantastic football and a Super Bowl. I understand it didn't end well, but you can't just dismiss the great things they did along the way.
    Not saying I agree with it or that's how I feel, just saying that's the general feeling you get from the board. I've defended Polian several times on PD. Walsh as well, although I admit I would be much more comfortable if I knew Pritchard was making the personnel decisions.

It would've been harder to find a GM that couldn't match Polian's 'success' at the helm of the Colts with Peyton Manning here. The bigger question in my mind is how many could've improved upon it, particularly on the one and dones in the playoffs.... keeping in mind Polian does have the 1 SB win and 2 appearances.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I've had numerous Polian criticisms over the years, but I'm still a bit skeptical about this. I can totally see Polian getting aggravated with the contract negotiations and then out of frustration saying "F it, let's just trade him for a ton of assets!", without being completely serious about it. I think this smells of Irsay trying to come across as the "good guy" to the few who are still upset about losing Manning.

I've had numerous Polian criticisms over the years, but I'm still a bit skeptical about this. I can totally see Polian getting aggravated with the contract negotiations and then out of frustration saying "F it, let's just trade him for a ton of assets!", without being completely serious about it. I think this smells of Irsay trying to come across as the "good guy" to the few who are still upset about losing Manning.
    I'd think the Marshall Faulk trade might say otherwise...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd think the Marshall Faulk trade might say otherwise...
    I still don't understand that trade. Marshall could have made Peyton's job a lot easier.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Sounds like heat of the moment ranting that Polian never expected to be made public. Polian hate is basically living proof of "What have you done for me lately?" People hate on him when he brought in Saturday and Brackett as UDFAs and found Mathis, Bethea, Collie, Garcon, Jake Scott, Ryan Lilja, and Cato Junes in the late rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post

Irsay said yes.

Hmmmm, owners deciding how a QB is used in an offense. ;-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Sounds like heat of the moment ranting that Polian never expected to be made public. Polian hate is basically living proof of "What have you done for me lately?" People hate on him when he brought in Saturday and Brackett as UDFAs and found Mathis, Bethea, Collie, Garcon, Jake Scott, Ryan Lilja, and Cato Junes in the late rounds.
    Polian Hate is proof that if you're going to be an arrogant a$$hat then you better back it up each and every year or expect to be called out on it when the mistakes start accumulating....

------

-John Wooden

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Hmmmm, owners deciding how a QB is used in an offense. ;-)
    Me personally, I don't see how an owner *wouldn't* have input. I've never quite understood this notion that owners throw millions into a team and then sit back and say nothing. That's pretty much the exact *opposite* of what actually happens, in my experiences. I acn understand having a high-level control of the team and letting the managers do most of the grunt work, but I think it'd be naive as hell to think that owners are all clueless cash cows who provide zero input into a team they own. Maybe some have too much input and not enough understanding... I could maybe put Jerry Jones and Snyder into that category. But I would also say that those two guys run teams that have very high ticket/merchandise sales so on a business-level, their input seems to have a direct impact. On a football-level... eh. I guess it doesn't strike me as odd though that some owners may not have actual football in mind when it comes to their teams.

But Irsay... he's somewhere in between in my mind. He's somewhere between having somewhat of a football clue, but still also interested in straight revenue. Bottom line I'm sure is on his mind, but I could see him letting Grigson know his thoughts on Luck and protecting what he deems as a future cash cow. I know if *I* owned a team and I just drafted what was considered a top flight blue chip prospect, I'd be sure to let my thoughts known to whoever I had "running the show". I sure as hell would do everything I could, as an owner, to prevent what happened to RG3 this year.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.