Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

Mood

Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd guess New Orleans since that franchise was in the East prior to 2004.
    Yeah, but geographically Memphis makes more sense. I'd prefer that.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pwt3wUjDm_...ba-fan-map.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Congratulations to Sac fans and my condolences to Seattle fans

My take on this:

-Seattle made one helluva offer and the NBA was seriously considering it. The NBA is very happy with what they showed up with. It just drove up the valuation of all franchises.

-David Stern didn't want the backlash of another team moving under his watch. He basically kept pushing back and pushing back the date of the vote in order to buy KJ and his group more time to find investors and to straighten out their arena deal.

Bottom line is Seattle made a great, hard to turn down offer, but KJ and Sac fought hard to keep their team and they had Stern on their side the entire time. Credit to them. Seattle will eventually get a team one way or another assuming Chris Hansen still wants to do this. They are offering too much money to ignore and they are a more than viable market.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Great day for all small market teams.

Thrilled for the fans in Sacramento.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I'll say this:

This was going to be a zero sum game with someone going home happy and someone else going home pissed.

As much as people hate David Stern, I have to sympathize with him a bit on this one. He knew he was going to have to screw over somebody in this case, and he pretty much said as much. Said that there was going to be a winner and a loser in this scenario. He didn't sugarcoat it. He looked pretty exhausted and beatdown whenever he took answers from the media about the subject. It wasn't a fun process.

I do really feel bad for Seattle. They got screwed over in 2008 and pretty much did everything right this time around to get a team back. Bottom line in all this is that if you want to keep your pro team, you better have investors/owners with money and politicians willing to fight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I'll say this:

As much as people hate David Stern, I have to sympathize with him a bit on this one. He knew he was going to have to screw over somebody in this case, and he pretty much said as much. Said that there was going to be a winner and a loser in this scenario. He didn't sugarcoat it. He looked pretty exhausted and beatdown whenever he took answers from the media about the subject. It wasn't a fun process.

I do really feel bad for Seattle. They got screwed over in 2008 and pretty much did everything right this time around to get a team back. Bottom line in all this is that if you want to keep your pro team, you better have investors/owners with money and politicians willing to fight.
    This.

And since Sacramento is off the table, Milwaukee will be screwed over.

Doesn't mean Sacramento was somehow wrong to keep the kings, but all it did was spell doom for Milwaukee, and they don't have an nba mayor with his reputation on the line to go to bat for them.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, but geographically Memphis makes more sense. I'd prefer that.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pwt3wUjDm_...ba-fan-map.jpg

That Bulls logo should probably cover part of norther indiana
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    That Bulls logo should probably cover part of norther indiana
    The bobcats logo over Virginia is awful as well.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The bobcats logo over Virginia is awful as well.
    Ha. The bobcats should have one of the biggest fan bases in the NBA according to this.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Doesn't mean Sacramento was somehow wrong to keep the kings, but all it did was spell doom for Milwaukee, and they don't have n nba mayor to go to bat for them.
    Yeah, there's nobody wrong in any of this latest situation. Can't blame anyone in Sac or Seattle from badly wanting a team. There's a lot of raw emotion for everyone there and someone was going to hate the outcome.

In hindsight, obviously I can't applaud Bennett for they way he took the team to OKC (everyone knew he was buying it to move it), but the NBA's decision to give Charlotte a second go around has really been a bust. If they hadn't done that, an expansion team would be looking really good in Seattle right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Yeah, there's nobody wrong in any of this latest situation. Can't blame anyone in Sac or Seattle from badly wanting a team. There's a lot of raw emotion for everyone there and someone was going to hate the outcome.

In hindsight, obviously I can't applaud Bennett for they way he took the team to OKC (everyone knew he was buying it to move it), but the NBA's decision to give Charlotte a second go around has really been a bust. If they hadn't done that, an expansion team would be looking really good in Seattle right about now.
    It isn't charlottes fault that they were saddled with three horribly inept owners over a 25-year period.

The Charlotte area WANTS to embrace the bobcats. They just aren't given anything to love.

Charlotte has had the nba since 1988, with a two year break from 2003-2004.

Over that period of time, the have won exactly three playoff series, and have never made it to the conference finals. They haven't seen a single playoff game victory since 2002. That's a stunning lack of success.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Based off of this Map...there is a clear need for an NBA Team in Billing, Montana.

They would probably draw more NBA fans then the Pacers.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Based off of this Map...there is a clear need for an NBA Team in Billing, Montana.

They would probably draw more NBA fans then the Pacers.
    I think the only reason for the question mark is we don't know what team Phil Jackson is rooting for...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

So very happy the Kings are staying. Can't wait to see how much this revitalizes the downtown area.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm very happy for the fans, the city and myself. I'm pretty new to the area so I have not had a chance to grow with the fan base, but the downtown arena/mall should do wonders for Sacramento (please, please, please figure the traffic out). Also, LIVE NBA ACTION WITHIN AN HOURS DRIVE!! WOOO!!!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

That portion for the blazers is totally false as well most people in Washington state either are following a totally different team or stopped watching the NBA... To say blazers own the eastern part of Washington and also Idaho is a joke

Very happy that I can still see the Pacers at least twice a year instead of just once a year...

Also happy for Sactown of course.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Today is the day the board votes, I want to say here, VF21 and ALL Kinds faans i am thinking of you all day long!
    ~
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 2m

Team Sacramento, led by Mayor Kevin Johnson and Vivek Ranadive, enters BOG meeting, as Team Seattle exits.
    Expand
    David Aldridge David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 40m

Team Seattle, led by Chris Hansen, walks into BOG Meeting. Not sure if they or Team Sacramento goes first.
    Expand
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    That portion for the blazers is totally false as well most people in Washington state either are following a totally different team or stopped watching the NBA... To say blazers own the eastern part of Washington and also Idaho is a joke
    Realistically more of the map should have question marks on it, or at least filled sparatically with Lakers/heat/insert other team of the moment.

As for the vote, what keeps the Maloofs from saying they will not sell if they can't sell who they want to?
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 05-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Mission Accomplished Sacramento.

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 1m

Sources confirm NBA BOG votes against relocation of Kings to Seattle. Team remains in Sacramento.
    Expand
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sorry Bucks fans.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Sorry Bucks fans.
    If what happened with the Kings is any indication, it's that if the city of Milwaukee (or their county) is willing to pay for a publicly financed arena, the NBA will keep the Bucks there.

The NBA will always favor keeping a team in an area that is willing to use public funds to build them an arena.

Live press conference about this now on NBATV

EDIT: it's kind of funny watching the press do everything they can (via the questions they are asking) to make this look like Seattle has gotten screwed.
    Last edited by rabid; 05-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    As for the vote, what keeps the Maloofs from saying they will not sell if they can't sell who they want to?
    Nothing (I don't think), but the Maloofs need to sell ASAP. They are broke. And now no one will want to buy the team unless they are interested in keeping the team in Sactown. Which means they pretty much have to sell to the group that has been put together by the city of Sacramento.

Here's my summary of what went down:

-Seattle/Hansen were desperate for a team. They approach Stern/NBA about getting an expansion deal.

-Stern says that's awesome. He'd love to see a team in Seattle again before he retires (he said this himself),

-Stern tells them that there will be no expansion in the forseeable future. Only way you are getting a team is to buy one in move them there.

-Hansen/Seattle start putting in plans for an arena and gathering investors to buy a team. He finds Ballmer. He finds that the Maloofs are willing to sell. They put in an offer.

-NBA tells Sacramento that, if you want to keep your team, find someone willing to buy the team and build us an arena. We'll keep pushing the date of the vote further and further back. We'll buy you time to get your deal together, but you better do it soon.

-Sac scrambles and finds investors. Then they quickly approve a publicly funded arena deal that they would have never done w/o the threat of losing the team.

-Seattle/Hansen increase the bid and even increase the expansion fee. Stern and the NBA say Sac has decided to build an arena for us, so sorry. BTW, thanks for driving up the price and getting us an arena.

Basically, Stern/NBA used Hansen and Seattle to leverage Sacramento into building a publicly funded arena for them, all the while driving up the valuation of their franchises at the same time. Seattle loses (again), Sacramento keeps their team and the NBA/Stern is all smiles as their pockets just got fatter.