Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

Well, today's the day. Both Seattle and Sacramento will make their presentations to the NBA relocation/finance committees.

In late-breaking news, the shares of Kings stock thought to have been purchased by Chris Hansen of Seattle have had a matching offer made by a current minority owner. Dave Lucchetti, who owns only 1% of the team, will now acquire the 7% previously owned By Bob Cook, who was forced to surrender his shares to a bankruptcy court for sale. Lucchetti will join the forces of Ron Burkle, Mark Mastrov, Vivek Randadive and Paul Jacobs. This leaves open the opportunity for Lucchetti to exercise his Right of First Refusal for the purchase of the team by simply matching the Hansen offer. It would, if allowed, stop Hansen from proceeding with his purchase attempt. While not thought to be likely, it is just another weapon in the arsenal in case the relocation and sale are approved by the NBA.

Things just keep getting more and more interesting.

And, to add to the fun, there is speculation that Kevin Johnson might have still one more ace up his sleeve. Hey, at least no one is bored.

NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

the All I can say is that I wish you and all your co-fans the best there is to get from today and tomorrow and may we soon learn that YOUR team remains YOUR team!
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Carmichael Dave (@CarmichaelDave) and his PlayingToWin RV bus will be in Indy on Monday! Be sure to sign the RV to help support our cause. You can follow Dave on Twitter or via his website at www.PlayingToWinTour.com

Thanks, Pacer fans. I look forward to meeting some of you next year at SleepTrain Arena in Sacramento.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I just really can't say enough about the push Sacto's made to keep their team. If God forbid it were the Pacers instead of the Kings it'd be nowhere near this I fear, I'm jealous.

And there are comments about the Pacers on Seattle sites. Stuff like "well if the Kings fall through the Pacers aren't far behind."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by VF21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carmichael Dave (@CarmichaelDave) and his PlayingToWin RV bus will be in Indy on Monday! Be sure to sign the RV to help support our cause. You can follow Dave on Twitter or via his website at www.PlayingToWinTour.com

Thanks, Pacer fans. I look forward to meeting some of you next year at SleepTrain Arena in Sacramento.
    Where in Indianapolis?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In front of the arena. If you see him, be sure and tell him VF21 sent you.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If God forbid it were the Pacers instead of the Kings it'd be nowhere near this I fear, I'm jealous.
    If this was to happen to the Pacers then the city would most probably boycott any attempt to keep the team there, sadly
    Last edited by Nuntius; 04-07-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dave is filming a video log of his journey. The latest episode just posted:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

It's very much worth noting that Herb Simon's one of the seven members of the relocation committee.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's very much worth noting that Herb Simon's one of the seven members of the relocation committee.
    And the guy who bolted seattle heads the committee. That makes me most nervous about keeping the kings in sacramento.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I'm looking forward to going down there and showing some support...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    And the guy who bolted seattle heads the committee. That makes me most nervous about keeping the kings in sacramento.
    Actually, I have faith in Clay Bennett simply because he's dealt with Seattle and he knows the fickle nature of the fans, the less-than-enthusiastic support of the city government, etc. Bennett does not believe he did anything wrong in moving the Sonics to Oklahoma City and he doesn't seem to believe that he - or the rest of the NBA - have anything to be guilty about. He won't be voting to move the Kings simply to put a team back in Seattle.

And as an aside, Seattle had five years to get back the Sonics name etc. free of charge. If an ownership group couldn't come forward and entice a team back to Seattle within the five years, then Bennett would SELL the name, etc. Guess when that five years expires?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good luck Sactown. Envious of your great fans over there.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Uh oh. It appears Dave is in front of your arena right now. He just tweeted that he'll be in Chicago tomorrow. I'm guessing he might be trying to be those storms... Hope some of you can still get a chance to see him and sign the RV.

Gah, won't be able to make it down in time.

Its been kind of hard to follow the schedule of the tour. They really haven't tweeted when they'll be at places until its too late.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

tell em to hit I74 West a little bit before heading up I65 lol

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

When I was younger, I had a couple of favorite teams.

NBA: Pacers, Kings
    NFL: Titans, Giants, Saints --- 49ers and Panthers as a little kid.
    MLB: Astros, Yankees(sorta) --- Cubs as a little kid.

Now only I have one team in every sport. I don't know how I liked the Yankees because now I despise them. But, I loved the Kings when they had Bobby Jackson, Jason Williams, Doug Christie, Peja Stojakovic, Hedo Turkoglu, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Scott Pollard... man, that was a wicked team. They got screwed against the Lakers.

I also loved Kerry Collins from his Panthers days so I followed him to the Saints and Giants. Then Aaaron Brooks took over for the Saints and I loved him along with Ricky Williams, Deuce McCallister, Joe Horn and Dante Stallworth. Then on the Giants, you had Kerry Collins, Tiki Barber, Ron Dayne, Amani Toomer, Jeremy Shockey, Michael Strahan, Jesse Armstead, Jason Seahorn... was so disappointing when they got smashed in the Super Bowl by the Ravens. It was amazing when the Saints beat the Rams in the playoffs though. It was like their playoff win or something happened for the first time. I remember going for an onside kick after halftime or to start the game and they recovered.

Sorry to ramble on haha... I just remember those days and I loving the Kings, Giants and Saints. But, I eventually grew into one team. I mean... who wouldn't love Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Chris Mullen, Rick Smits, Dale Davis, Mark Jackson, Travis Best, Jeff Foster, Sam Perkins, Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'neal...

This comment was really pointless and I hope they stay in Sacramento. Go Kings?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

tell em to hit I74 West a little bit before heading up I65 lol
    Send him a tweet @CarnichaelDave with #Playingtowin You might be able to catch him.

Crap, sounds like Burkle is out of an ownership stake:

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 1h

Also, Sac people spent a lot of time selling Burkle as ultimate big $, NBA-influencing "whale." Will Jacobs (Qualcomm) step into the breach?
    Expand
    David Aldridge David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 1h

Burkle being out helps potential Maloof sale to Sac group if NBA rejects Seattle bid. Maloofs uninterested in selling 2 him in any form.
    Expand

Nonetheless, whatever small stake Burkle had in team bid will have to be replaced.
    Expand

Let me be clear before Sac Tweeters go nuts: Burkle's involved in development in area surrounding arena, not arena itself.
    Expand

Potential conflict raised at last week's meeting with finance/relocation committees in NYC. Source says Burkle had small stake in team bid.
    Expand

Burkle is investor in Relativity Media, the shop led by agent Happy Walters, who reps Stoudemire, Ty Lawson, Iman Shumpert, among others.
    Expand

Can confirm that Ron Burkle now concentrating solely on Sac arena project instead of also investing in Kings b/c of potential conflict.
    Expand

Don't think it will hurt the Sactown coalition too much if KJ can keep it together though.

I really don't know what the outcome of all this will be, but one thing is for sure: The NBA absolutely LOVES these two ownership groups battling it out for one franchise.

The league loves nothing more than high valuation of their franchises, and now with two ownership groups willing to show them the money in a big way, the NBA gets a huge boost in the valuation of at least one franchise.

In fact, I can see it one day where, no matter the outcome of this, there winds up being a franchise in BOTH these cities eventually. Bottom line is the NBA is going to go where the money is. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the current Grizz/Bobkittens/Pelicans team get steered towards the city that the current Kings don't go to.

It would be a win-win for the NBA. Two franchises that were once seen as small market teams get valued at over $500M. Don't tell me Stern and Co. aren't thinking about that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Crap, sounds like Burkle is out of an ownership stake
    Burkle is out of the mix as fair as ownership in the team or direct investment in the arena, BUT he is still committed to helping with the redevelopment of the downtown plaza area, a project worth some $500 million.

This wasn't a surprise to most who have been following the issue. Of course, David Aldridge isn't always in the loop so maybe he doesn't know the Jacobs family (QUALCOMM) was brought into the mix a while back, with most assuming it was to cover any idea that our ownership group wasn't strong enough.

Burkle was never set to be a major owner. As it stands now, Vivek Ranadive and Mark Matrov will be at the front as far as the team purchase is concerned.

Bottom line for most Kings fans is that we have the time right now. Much like officials don't overturn a call unless there is irrefutable evidence, we cannot see the NBA taking our team away unless there is substantial proof that the Seattle relocation is much better than leaving the Kings where they are and accepting the Sacramento group's purchase offer. And, as DA pointed out, with Burkle out of that group, the animosity level of the Maloofs has dropped significantly.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Burkle is out of the mix as fair as ownership in the team or direct investment in the arena, BUT he is still committed to helping with the redevelopment of the downtown plaza area, a project worth some $500 million.
    *snip*
    ...as DA pointed out, with Burkle out of that group, the animosity level of the Maloofs has dropped significantly.
    VF, What is the original beef between the Maloofs and Ron Burkle? I know I've picked up on this before over on the KingsFan board but never heard about why those folks are at odds with each other to begin with.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    VF, What is the original beef between the Maloofs and Ron Burkle? I know I've picked up on this before over on the KingsFan board but never heard about why those folks are at odds with each other to begin with.
    It's all a little murky about origins but when the Maloofs were in New York trying to get approval to move the Kings to Anaheim, Kevin Johnson indicated that Ron Burkle offered to buy the Kings and keep them in Sacramento. (It was then that David Stern first whispered the immortal words, "They've got Burkle?") George Maloof reportedly went ballistic, denying repeatedly that the Kings were for sale and insinuating that Burkle was trying to steal their team. One of the brothers - it might haven been Gavin - said "Tell Burkle to go back where he belongs!"

I suspect there might be more to the story, but we'll probably never know. The late-to-the-party reporters who are maintaining that there was never any ill will between the Maloofs and Burkle don't have their facts straight.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

This must bode well for Sac-Town:
    http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/...source=twitter

Ric Bucher
    + Trust

Source: Sacramento could have a harder time keeping Kevin Johnson than keeping the Kings at this point. As it stands, if the current Sacramento group matches the essential elements of the agreement with the group in Seattle, the league committee weighing the two offers is expected to recommend keeping the Kings where they are. Vivek Ranadive, the Warriors minority owner who picked up the flag for Sacramento, has been a game-changer, second only to Johnson, sources say. The former NBA point guard, one source says, has blown away NBA owners with his preparation and delivery to the point they want to find a way to get him into the league front office. Still remains to be seen what those essential elements are and if the Sacramento group can deliver them in a deal by Friday, but after all Johnson has accomplished, nothing seems to be beyond his capabilities at this point. 8 minutes ago

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Kevin Johnson for commish? Wouldn't that be a dream, an NBA vet who took his politics/business serious enough to make it a strong 2nd career and has been getting his hands very dirty working this deal (hard work, not shady work). This is not a token "Hey, I'm famous, vote for me" guy.

Of course you could see others in the LO being intimidated by that and wanting to keep him out for that reason.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: