Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 157

Thread: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

  1. #1
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Mayor Kevin Johnson not only brought the whales, he included a new member of the NBA Hall of Fame and the potential resurrection of the WNBA Monarchs.

    http://blogs.sacbee.com/city-beat/20...-the-city.html

    As a Kings fan, to hear that Mitch Richmond has invested $1 million of his own money was huge. Hearing that the potential ownership group, headed by Mark Mastrov, is going to try to bring back the Sacramento Monarchs is also incredible.

    Bottom line, Kevin Johnson came through with an offer the NBA is going to find very hard to refuse. Stay tuned for further developments.

    (I had to share with you guys. It's a great night for Kings fans. Regardless of what the future brings, it was on this night that Mayor Kevin Johnson truly gave us back our hope.)

    As he said, "WE ARE SACRAMENTO!"
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    As much as I would like to see Seattle get a team again, this is awesome. All the credit in the world to Kevin Johnson. There were several times when he could have just given up and accepted the inevitable, but he has kept fighting. I hope for your sake you guys get to keep the Kings and get some owners who actually know what they are doing.

  4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,296

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    If KJ keeps the coalition together, Sacramento is going to pull it off.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Seriously congrats. I really hope this leads to the continuation of basketball in Sacramento.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  10. #6
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    I don't get the whales reference, can someone explain?

    I'm glad to hear Sac may keep the Kings. Great fans there and they deserve to keep them. On the other hand there are great fans in Seattle and I think they deserve a team too. I was there about a year ago and a lot of people were still talking about the Sonics. They need a team there, just not the Kings (or Pacers). I don't know who though, definitely not another expansion team.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,842

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get the whales reference, can someone explain?

    I'm glad to hear Sac may keep the Kings. Great fans there and they deserve to keep them. On the other hand there are great fans in Seattle and I think they deserve a team too. I was there about a year ago and a lot of people were still talking about the Sonics. They need a team there, just not the Kings (or Pacers). I don't know who though, definitely not another expansion team.
    whale = big investor, used a lot in finance talk

    I was watching KJ's speech on TV tonight. I said it on twitter, he's a fantastic mayor. He's doing every thing he can and Sacramento is going to be a better place because of it. Don't **** this up NBA. Two wrongs don't make a right.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    I am truly happy that you guys in Sacramento have real hope. I really want you guys to be able to keep this team there.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    This is great news for Sacramento. Fingers crossed that KJ can pull it off. Also having the Kings within driving distance allows me to see one more Pacers game per year so I'm hoping for the best

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,944

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    I want Seattle to get a team but I'm very happy for Sacramento.

    They have a great fanbase and the city really wants to keep the team. They deserve a team. Go Sacramento. Screw the Maloofs!
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Sacramento deserves to keep their team. Seattle shouldn't even be in the conversation. If Seattle fans are "great" then we don't have the right word to describe Sacramento fans. And if Seattle is so great, they shouldn't be rooting to steal a team from a great city like Sac-town.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sacramento deserves to keep their team. Seattle shouldn't even be in the conversation. If Seattle fans are "great" then we don't have the right word to describe Sacramento fans. And if Seattle is so great, they shouldn't be rooting to steal a team from a great city like Sac-town.
    ...so they should be rooting for what, to never get another team again? The NBA isn't expanding anytime soon.

    I'm not saying I'm rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle, but This is the only way Seattle is going to get their team back.

  23. #13
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...so they should be rooting for what, to never get another team again? The NBA isn't expanding anytime soon.

    I'm not saying I'm rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle, but This is the only way Seattle is going to get their team back.
    Doesn't it seem hypocritical to bemoan the loss of your team, and then root for another city to lose theirs so you can get what you want?
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't it seem hypocritical to bemoan the loss of your team, and then root for another city to lose theirs so you can get what you want?
    When the alternative is never getting a team again? Nope.

    Im sure everyone in Seattle can empathize with Sacramento fans. But that doesn't mean they should turn down the opportunity.

    Likewise, Sacramento fans would very quickly look for other teams to poach if they lost the kings. This isn't a morality play.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-01-2013 at 06:47 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    844

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,410

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    I'm glad Sac is possibly keeping their team, but at the same time I wish Seattle would get a team again. How 'bout we fix the mistake that is the Charlotte Bobcats by renaming them the Seattle Bobcats? Lol.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  31. #17
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,811

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Californians should be most concerned about the state of basketball. With more leaders like Kevin Johnson, imagine the possibilities.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad Sac is possibly keeping their team, but at the same time I wish Seattle would get a team again. How 'bout we fix the mistake that is the Charlotte Bobcats by renaming them the Seattle Bobcats? Lol.
    Any team that plays NBA basketball in Seattle MUST be called the SuperSonics. Probably one of the coolest sports team names ever (you hear that Pelicans?).

  34. #19
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,842

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Californians should be most concerned about the state of basketball. With more leaders like Kevin Johnson, imagine the possibilities.
    Keeping the Kings and getting a new arena downtown is going to do wonders for Sacramento.

  35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  36. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Californians should be most concerned about the state of basketball. With more leaders like Kevin Johnson, imagine the possibilities.
    ...because, Sacramento has so much else?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  38. #21
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the alternative is never getting a team again? Nope.

    Im sure everyone in Seattle can empathize with Sacramento fans. But that doesn't mean they should turn down the opportunity.

    Likewise, Sacramento fans would very quickly look for other teams to poach if they lost the kings. This isn't a morality play.
    You seem to want to ignore the fact that Seattle had a team and LOST IT because they couldn't get an arena deal done. While the Mariners and the Seahawks were getting public money for new venues, the Sonics didn't garner enough support to get the same. IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT!

    Sacramento, on the other hand, has done everything they've been asked to do, both by the lunatic brothers Maloof and the NBA. We had an arena deal in place last year, until George Maloof backed out. (Most likely, as we know now, because they couldn't afford to put in their contribution.)

    We want our team. We've supported our team through thick and thin. The Maloofs, in an ultimate petulant manner, sneaked around and made a deal with Seattle all the while maintaining in public that they wanted to stay in Sacramento. They have bargained in bad faith, but they're going to be paid quite nicely just to get the hell out of the picture.

    If you're going to take Seattle's side in this, that's your choice. But please get your facts straight. Thanks ever so...
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  39. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Yes, yes, you're all better fans than Seattle. If only Seattle had such amazing people in their city, they'd still have the Sonics. One of you is worth ten of them. We get it.

    Also, never said I was rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle. Keep on beating that strawman, though...
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  40. #23
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  41. #24

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, yes, you're all better fans than Seattle. If only Seattle had such amazing people in their city, they'd still have the Sonics. One of you is worth ten of them. We get it.

    Also, never said I was rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle. Keep on beating that strawman, though...
    I actually am rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle, because I lived there a couple years ago and I plan on moving back soon and want to get season tickets eventually, but I will say that Sacramento fans on average probably care more about the NBA and their team than people in Seattle. Once when I was living in Seattle, probably around 2011, my neighbor asked me "hey did you hear the Sonics left?!"

  42. #25
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whales spotted in Sacramento!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, yes, you're all better fans than Seattle. If only Seattle had such amazing people in their city, they'd still have the Sonics. One of you is worth ten of them. We get it.

    Also, never said I was rooting for the Kings to move to Seattle. Keep on beating that strawman, though...
    Whew. I was beginning to fear you would just never get it.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Eric Gordon spotted at Game 3.
    By D0NT SH0OT ME in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 11:08 AM
  2. El Pacero mask spotted at OKC game
    By I Love P in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
  3. Brady's spotted in a Cast!!!
    By BoomBaby31 in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
  4. JO and Harrington spotted at club 7 on New Year's Eve ?
    By Frank Slade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •