Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pacers need to change their Marketing Strategy... again

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Pacers need to change their Marketing Strategy... again

Billboards are nice but they aren't enough. Before I go on, I should say that this thread isn't for bashing the Pacers Marketing department. It's designed to suggest ways the Pacers can reach more of the casual sports fans in Indy.

We all love to complain about the lack of attendance and what we think the underlying issues are. Even many of the Pacers players, coaches, and broadcasters find ways to bring it up. Complaining about the problem doesn't fix anything. Complaining only helps if it gives birth to solutions.

We know what the issues are. Here are my ideas to improve the Indiana Public's awareness. I'd love to hear yours as well.

1. Increase merchandise retail availability. It's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants like Target and Walmart. Try finding a sweatshirt anywhere other than the Homecourt gift shop. It's harder than finding Carmen SanDiego! A t-shirt on a rack or in the window of a shop at the mall is advertisement. Tons of casual sports fans could be reached this way. Heck, someone might even buy one once they know that they exist!

2. Pacers players and the organization have been doing a great job getting the message out via social media and have made several appearances here and there. A better way of getting the attention of basketball fans would be to set up appearances at Butler, IU, and Purdue games. Get a few on air interviews set up where they can comment on the college team and how the Pacers are playing this year. Just sitting in the crowd could get the Pacers a few Twitter mentions or a shoutout during the telecast or on SportsCenter later that night.

3. New Uniforms. Changing the uniforms would go a long way to help people see that this is a new Pacers team. It would also distance this team from all the losing and frustrating years. This isn't something that they can do this season but it should be a definite change starting next season.

4. Get the local media to support the team. Give them tickets, t-shirts, polos, mugs, or whatever it takes to get them interested in the team. Don't just do it once. Do it at least once a month. Tell them to pass some of it on to their family and friends. What does 100 mugs cost? They're really cheap to produce but could be worth word-of-mouth and/or media gold when given to the right people.

5. Similar to the idea above but this centers around promoting the team to all the bars in the city. Not just downtown but in Muncie, Bloomington, Lafayette, and Fort Wayne. Posters with just the schedule on them are great for the teams and the bars. Have a few of the Pacers drop once in a to have their pictures taken with the owners and bartenders.

6. Get a grassroots movement started. I'm sure Area 53 and the G2 crew would be down to help pass out flyers about the Pacers latest deals for upcoming games at the malls. Viral videos like Hibbert's Gangnam-style video were great for recognition. I know that if they got the fans more involved in the marketing plan, the Pacers could see a surge in popularity.

That's all I have for now but I feel really confident that these ideas could work. What are yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Pacers need to change their Marketing Strategy... again

To me it's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants SIMON MALLS.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

4. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

You guys really think PG and Hill and Lance going to IU events was their own idea?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You guys really think PG and Hill and Lance going to IU events was their own idea?
    No, not really. IIRC, wasn't that before the season started or shortly thereafter?

Also, I'm talking about them attending one of the games. I'm not sure if it's possible with the schedule but it couldn't hurt and they could get to see a good game in the process.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    No, not really. IIRC, wasn't that before the season started or shortly thereafter?

Also, I'm talking about them attending one of the games. I'm not sure if it's possible with the schedule but it couldn't hurt and they could get to see a good game in the process.
    PG was at the Michigan(I think?) game tweeting about it. Those 3 went there for a football game, not sure which one. Pacers official twitter was all over it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who wouldn't have wanted to go to that IU Michigan game? haha

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tweets like this from Paul George are not an accident.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I've complained about it in other threads so thanks for the all in one thought thread.

Try to get a few more games scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday. 5 games total is not going to cut it for folks living outside of th Indy metro. Also on the same thought process... if the Sat/Sunday games are not doable then at least make some of the Friday games have a later starting time please.

This request comes from someone 88.4 miles away (one way) from BLF.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Going back to the Pinstripes IMO would be a brilliant idea. Yes they wore them during the brawl, but those are more associated with the only NBA finals appearance. It's easy, it fits with a "retro" feel, and they are great unis to boot.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

They really need to change the jerseys. 1) These jerseys are terrible and I don't understand why anyone would want one but also 2) They will be associated with the mediocrity of the post-Reggie era and the thugs. The Pacers have too many great options for jerseys to keep on wearing this garbage.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    To me it's mind boggling that Pacers gear is non-existent in retail giants SIMON MALLS.
    I go to oklahoma city for work a lot. They have stores everywhere with Thunder gear. I went into a store that was just in a strip mall that had Sooners, OK. St. Cowboys, and Thunder gear. I was blown away by all the stuff they had just for the Thunder. It was stuff we can only get by going down to BLF. Most of stuff was on sale too, not like BLF.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

1. From what I've heard, we should have new unis next year

2. It's Area 55, not Area 53
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

They need to advertise more on local TV, but local TV also needs to have more coverage on the Pacers too. Roy, Paul, and G.Hill do a lot of stuff in the community. It covered by the TV sations, but not enough.

Going to finals would help too. LOL, not really LOL.

I grew up an hours drive from Indy. When I was a kid I attended games in person (back in the ABA, 'cause I'm old) because there was a church group that had a bus and took us to Sunday afternoon games on occasion. I think if somehow the Pacers explored making a mini season ticket package available and coupled it to a locally-run charter bus service, from perhaps West Lafayette, Columbus IN, or other similarly-distanced cities, it could revive interest in these satellite markets. At least it could be heavily advertised in one or two cities just to gauge the interest. When I visit my relatives an hour south of Indy there's an obvious Colts marketing presence but the Pacers seem kind of invisible. This needs fixing!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

If they change the uniforms I want a NEW look. And I hate pinstripes. Baseball can keep them. I don't want FloJos back, or the Chest Stripe I always see on Vern Fleming.

I want something simple and uncluttered, that speaks to tradition that can't be "timestamped" like our other looks are.

Sports Logo

I want new uniforms too, but just because I think the current ones have gotten stale. We've worn em longer than both the FloJos and the pinstripes! But, I mean, you guys seriously think people'd come to the games to see some new uniforms?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I would settle for a better selection of uniforms at HomeCourt. Actually having multiple options on color would be a step in the right direction. Last time I went in to get a jersey, was 2/4 against Chicago and they had one Granger yellow. Outside of the pinstripes they had upstairs, that was the only option other than home white.

Yes I know I could have just had a road uniform made.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    1. From what I've heard, we should have new unis next year

2. It's Area 55, not Area 53

I heard 2 of them were getting their tickets revoked this afternoon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

J/K. It was a typo. My bad.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

What about some offseason work too??

More basketball clinics for kids, and spread them out to surrounding areas (Bloomington, Terre Haute, Lafayette, anywhere within an hours drive time)....This wouldn't even have to be run by the players, but marketed as "Pacers Camps". Have the trainers and people work with the kids....Hell get Billy Keller to do it....Just associate it with the franchise somehow.

What about celebrity games with Pacers players and local college talent?? Get a scrimage between IU, Butler, ISU, Purdue, ND, and the Pacers....Invite them to come workout with the team....Get a ton of media coverage on it....Show that the Pacers organization supports the community....Buy a new scoreboard or scorers bench or goal for some local schools and market it as "donated by the Pacers"....I know that Boomer does half time shows and appearances for some of the local highschools, hype it up by sending out GH3 or PG24 or Roy....but most of all, when you do it, GET MEDIA COVERAGE....

The lack of Pacers merchandise is pretty embarrassing to be honest...I hate to admit it, but I get most of my Pacers gear from eBay because I can't find anything in the area other than some pretty simple t-shirts. I buy things from online stores occasionally, but TBH there is not a lot of Pacers gear out there either, and when you do manage to locate some, it is very rarely on sale and pretty costly. Take a hit on the merchandise, cut the prices, get some local fan support, and butts in the seats....

The Pacers have some really great things going on, but they are not being boisterous enough in their marketing.....

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    A friend of mine worked at the Circle Centre Home Court Gift Shop before it closed. He said he would have shifts where they didn't sell a thing. He would be there for 6 hours and maybe 10 people came in the store. Most customers were just looking for one of the pocket schedules. He also said that during the summer, Fever gear went faster than Pacers gear during the season. I have a feeling that Simon kept that location open much longer than it should have (probably because there wasn't a demand for the location anyways).

The first point by naptown is a good one. I made a short visit to relatives near Seymour over the holidays. At the Seymour Walmart (stopped there since, living in Florida, my kids do not own winter coats, LOL) I had my choice of IU gear, Colts gear (not a fan), Cincinnati Reds gear, heck I think there was even Chicago Bears, Cincinnati Bengals, and St. Louis Cardinals gear.

A Pacers T-shirt, sweatshirt, hat, ANYTHING? Nope. Not there. Not even an option. I thought that maybe it's an NBA marketing thing, but I am sure that in Florida I see Heat gear at Walmart, target, etc.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Media coverage should do it. Uniforms shouldn't have any impact.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I have to say that when I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Avon on Sunday there was an entire section of Pacer gear - while not the same size as the Colts gear, it was still pretty big.

Now, there were a lot of things like "Beat the Heat" shirts and such, but just seeing prominent gear in Hendricks County is a huge step.

However, I still am unable to find ANY Pacer gear at the airport, which I think is a pretty good barometer of how popular it is for people to pick up as gifts for out-of-towners.

I still would like to see a schedule of the things they are doing with the fan van outside of Marion County, if nothing else so I can point out to people when it will be around.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

37. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    PG was at the Michigan(I think?) game tweeting about it. Those 3 went there for a football game, not sure which one. Pacers official twitter was all over it.
    They went to IU / Ball State. Paul and I think Orlando went to the Michigan game.

6. Get a grassroots movement started. I'm sure Area 53 and the G2 crew would be down to help pass out flyers about the Pacers latest deals for upcoming games at the malls. Viral videos like Hibbert's Gangnam-style video were great for recognition. I know that if they got the fans more involved in the marketing plan, the Pacers could see a surge in popularity.
    We had some G2ers running around downtown a couple weekends ago giving away tickets to the Bobcats game that a member had bought out of his pocket for that very reason. I think there's another one planned shortly.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca