Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger and Paul George have unique bond that makes Pacers real threat in East (Article about Granger/George)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger and Paul George have unique bond that makes Pacers real threat in East (Article about Granger/George)

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honest? honest about what? nothing about what you said was honest....anyone that says they feel danny was being reflective and is on his way out is not being honest, they are being incredibly pessimistic....and as i said...you combine that with ignorance for both how Donnie and Larry Bird have worked to put this team together as well as teams in the past...and its just ridiculous to think Danny is about to be traded....just as its ridiculous to think Larry "isnt around anymore"...yea...ok...
    Donnie Walsh hasn't done much of anything to put this team together so who is being ignorant now.

Larry isn't around anymore. If anyone is thinking he is then they are the ones reading between the lines. Not me. Last we heard anything about Larry other than occasional phone calls with Lance is that he is in Florida from that Jordan article referencing Buckner's comment on Bird.

Maybe Bird comes back, maybe he doesn't.

If you don't think Danny is being reflective in his comments, then I would just say your ability to read people's emotions needs some work. He is definitely being reflective.

It's just a harsh reality of the NBA that it will be hard to retain everyone. If that's "pessimistic" to you, fine I guess. I am not going to waste my time worrying about it and instead will enjoy what we have now.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-28-2013 at 11:14 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Default Re: Danny Granger and Paul George have unique bond that makes Pacers real threat in East (Article about Granger/George)

and its just ridiculous to think Danny is about to be traded....
    Nobody said he is about to be traded. The trade deadline was last week.

It is a harsh reality of the NBA, that it very well may be in the Pacers' best interest to trade him this summer. Nothing about that is ridiculous.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Hypothetically a guy that averages between 15 and 18 ppg is going to command somewhere between 8 - 12 mil with the occasional guy getting 5 (Jamal Crawford) or 6 mil (Wesley Matthews)

I'd think the only way we re-sign Danny is if he takes 8 MAYBE 9 Mil annually. Something like a 4 yr 36 or 5 yr 42 Mil extension.

Let's not forget, Danny gave us a bit of a break during his last extension. (especially when you look at the extensions that guys like Gay, Johnson and Iggy received)

So I don't think it's 100% CRAZY to think that he'd sign for a reasonable deal

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    It is just a reality that if Granger is a guy that is worth keeping, he's going to be nearly impossible to keep.

West is a no-brainer. George is a no-brainer. We already have made our bed with Hibbert and Hill. Where is the money going to come from?

Huh? Then you could say that about every player...If a guy is worth keeping, hes going to be nearly impossible to keep...Like I said...if you get that from this article then you totally missed the whole point of the article. Danny is just as much of a no-brainer as West and George. THAT should be even more obvious than it already was after reading this article. As for where the money is going to come from...well...I pointed out that problem quite some time ago in the Roy Hibbert value thread. Danny Granger and David West are the heart and soul of this team. Paul is looking like he maybe the uber-talented stud. What happens past that who knows for certain. But thats the foundation of your team. And that should be blatantly obvious to anyone. Thankfully it clearly is to Walsh and Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also, what did Danny do to his finger?
    He was playing with the holes in his knee cartilage and the tendonosis spread to his finger.

This is a great article that confirms what we've read over the years about George and Granger. They've been buddies since before the draft and enjoy each other's company. I love that this team is so selfless.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Why do you keep bringing up Bird lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nobody said he is about to be traded. The trade deadline was last week.

It is a harsh reality of the NBA, that it very well may be in the Pacers' best interest to trade him this summer. Nothing about that is ridiculous.
    Lol....yea ok....you have just put together a team that clearly is poised to contend for a title for a few years and you are now going to trade the captain who is the heart and soul of that team. There are many harsh realities in the NBA. But this isnt one of them. That would be ridiculous. And to think it would be in the Pacers best interest to trade said captain and heart and soul of the team and a player that the uber-talented stud looks up to as a mentor and is a genuine friend of....well that pretty much defines ridiculous. What sort of message would that send to the uber-talented young stud? Lol...you guys are just nuts sometimes

Chad Ford told me Danny wouldn't be wearing a Pacers jersey next year... In 2007.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why do you keep bringing up Bird lol
    Why do u insist on denying the obvious? Lets see....Pacers management continually talks about him. The players talk about him. But hey, let us NOT talk about him. yea ok...like i said...you guys are just silly some times...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hypothetically a guy that averages between 15 and 18 ppg is going to command somewhere between 8 - 12 mil with the occasional guy getting 5 (Jamal Crawford) or 6 mil (Wesley Matthews)

I'd think the only way we re-sign Danny is if he takes 8 MAYBE 9 Mil annually. Something like a 4 yr 36 or 5 yr 42 Mil extension.

Let's not forget, Danny gave us a bit of a break during his last extension. (especially when you look at the extensions that guys like Gay, Johnson and Iggy received)

So I don't think it's 100% CRAZY to think that he'd sign for a reasonable deal
    I'm going to basically defer to the guys who know a lot more about the cap than I do, but the way I see it, we basically already have $32.5 million committed for the 2014-2015 season. Add another $14 million to that for Paul George, and you're at $46.5 million. I'm guessing you can count on at least $12 million for David West, but in all likelihood it will be more than that, but we'll use that number. That puts us at $58.5 million. Even if Granger can be signed for $8 million, that puts us right on the tax line.

Unless you think that they will be willing to go into the luxury tax, which I don't, it just won't work out. Maybe a championship this season makes that more feasible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie Walsh hasn't done much of anything to put this team together so who is being ignorant now.

Larry isn't around anymore. If anyone is thinking he is then they are the ones reading between the lines. Not me. Last we heard anything about Larry other than occasional phone calls with Lance is that he is in Florida from that Jordan article referencing Buckner's comment on Bird.

Maybe Bird comes back, maybe he doesn't.

If you don't think Danny is being reflective in his comments, then I would just say your ability to read people's emotions needs some work. He is definitely being reflective.

It's just a harsh reality of the NBA that it will be hard to retain everyone. If that's "pessimistic" to you, fine I guess. I am not going to waste my time worrying about it and instead will enjoy what we have now.
    Its not about whether he is being reflective or not...its that you think that by him being reflective hes doing so because hes playing his last games as a Pacer. Its not the first time youve alluded to such on this board. And like i said...if you get that from this article then your just plain pessimistic and silly and its not me that needs a lesson on life and comprehension of ones comments.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to basically defer to the guys who know a lot more about the cap than I do, but the way I see it, we basically already have $32.5 million committed for the 2014-2015 season. Add another $14 million to that for Paul George, and you're at $46.5 million. I'm guessing you can count on at least $12 million for David West, but in all likelihood it will be more than that, but we'll use that number. That puts us at $58.5 million. Even if Granger can be signed for $8 million, that puts us right on the tax line.

Unless you think that they will be willing to go into the luxury tax, which I don't, it just won't work out. Maybe a championship this season makes that more feasible.
    I went thru all these numbers in the Hibbert thread...do I think they will go into the tax? not likely, but who knows. And I said it would very well cost more than 12 to keep David as well. But again who knows. Ill say it again. We agree on a couple of things here. You must do all you can to keep George. And he almost certainly will sign an extension before ever reaching FA. They will re-sign David because they have to. Only way they dont is if he doesnt want to come back, which is always a possibility but would seem unlikely at this point. In the pecking order, Danny is next. Thats where I think many of you are waaaaayyyyyyy off base. Its not George Hill or Roy Hibbert. And this article shouldve only made it that much more clear. Yet some here take it as even more reason to think Danny will be gone. Ridiculous I say. Just plain ridiculous. Whatever David signs for will likely be a bargain. George will get the max barring some major catastrophe, which would make this conversation meaningless then. Danny is already at a bargain contract and likely will be re-signed to somewhat of a bargain contract when the time comes. The contract that is not a bargain sticks out like a sore thumb. If they have money issues- which will be likely-you typically look at your bad contracts first and see if something can be done with them. And I think this situation will be no different and thats exactly what they will do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

That tax line is now $66.5m?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    That tax line is now $66.5m?
    It is $70.3 million. There is no way to pay 5 guys $66.5 million, and fill out a roster with minimum contracts, and stay below the line.

How about we wait until we see what he is capable of on the court before we anoint him as much of a no-brainer as George or West, because based off what we've actually seen, that definitely isn't the case.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Yes, I am being pessimistic about Danny Granger when I use words to describe him such as mana from heaven for a franchise lost in the desert. (Now if we were lost in the dessert....)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is $70.3 million. There is no way to pay 5 guys $66.5 million, and fill out a roster with minimum contracts and stay below the line.
    Hence why you see all the hub bub about where are the fans. And why that talk about whats 6 or 7 million is so ignorant. 6 or 7 million fills out rosters. 6 or 7 million helps offset the lack of a LT rebate. If the fans dont start supporting the team in a big way-by filling up the arena regularly-then the team will have to make decisions based on the likelihood of not having that 6 or 7 million. And im sure the team was put together knowing D-day is coming with the idea if they put this type of team together then the fans will fill up the arena. The team did their part and if the fans do their part then the likelihood of the team remaining relatively intact are much much greater than if the support never comes.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, I am being pessimistic about Danny Granger when I use words to describe him such as mana from heaven for a franchise lost in the desert. (Now if we were lost in the dessert....)
    Nice try. You obviously think highly of him. You obviously also think hes going to be traded this offseason. Youve said it multiple times. Yes, thats incredibly pessimistic at best and just plain irrational at worst. And to use this article as somehow more support for such a stance is just...well....pessimistic at best and irrational at worst.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, the less he performs on the court the better it is for us, believe it or not. His value now is even more about non-court related performance. If his knee prevents him from being a starter or playing big minutes, then theres less of an issue in keeping him as his dollar value to the rest of the league would not be nearly as high. Again, read that article. Really read it. Hes your captain. What has the team done without him this year? Without him on the court that is. Heart and soul. Mentor. Great friend. None of that has to do with on-court performance because he hasnt been on the court. We are almost better off in some ways-specifically from a financial standpoint- if he doesnt return to 15-18 points per game type form. If his production drops off to 6th man type production you think from a financial standpoint that would be bad? And isnt that what all the drama surrounding his return was really all about anyway? How he and George could co-exist since many feel they play the same position?

Nice try. You obviously think highly of him. You obviously also think hes going to be traded this offseason. Youve said it multiple times. Yes, thats incredibly pessimistic at best and just plain irrational at worst. And to use this article as somehow more support for such a stance is just...well....pessimistic at best and irrational at worst.
    Pessimistic and irrational to think that Granger could be traded this offeason or perhaps not be re-signed next season. Yep that is exactly how I would describe it.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Give it up. If anything, he's being "incredibly" logical. Of course he can't see into the future and because of that, he's not claiming anything as 100% fact.

And irrational? Are you sure you want to use that word? Because even if he is pessimistic and it turns out he's wrong, he's absolutely being rational about Danny's future with the team.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Pessimistic and irrational to think that Granger could be traded this offeason or perhaps not be re-signed next season. Yep that is exactly how I would describe it.
    Irrational is thinking that either of those scenarios are an impossibility.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great article.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

35. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Irrational is thinking that either of those scenarios are an impossibility.
    Who said impossibility? Point is simple. Very, very simple. Give one fact. ONE!!!! That says Danny being traded is even remotely likely. JUST ONE. Irrational is in spite of there being many many facts that say he will not likely be traded and absolutely none that he will be, still thinking he will be traded. Clearly irrational. Do you feel Paul George will be traded? Why not? Do you think David West will not be re-signed? Why not? Its far far more likely David West will not be back versus Danny Granger. And that is a longshot at this point... So in spite of all the facts leading one to believe Danny will not be traded and indeed will be re-signed when the time comes, and in spite of there not being one solitary fact that would lead one to believe Danny will be traded, he still thinks Danny will be traded. And he thinks he will be traded this offseason. The Pacers wouldnt even wait til his contract runs out. They will just get rid of him this offseason. Not only is that irrational...its plain silly.
    Last edited by cinotimz; 02-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Thanks god he was not working out with Gordon Hayward or Cole Aldrich.
    I would like to clarify this comments because it looks like some people took it as a negative comment(somebody told me), my point is that by reading the article I believe that Paul George working out with Danny was a huge reason of why we got PG, had Danny been working out with somebody else(Hayward, Aldridge,Bledsoe or whoever) I don't think the Pacers draft him.

So yeah thanks Danny for the referral, thanks Larry for listening to the referral and for doing a good job in drafting Paul George.