Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arbitrator - Reduces JO's to 15 games

PacersRule1

Default Arbitrator - Reduces JO's to 15 games

Just heard on ESPN Radio that Kaplan ruled that JO's suspension should be 15 games. Jackson and Artest's do not change.

Mood

Default Re: Arbitrator - Reduces JO's to 15 games

It's true; ESPNews has it in the bottom right corner of their screen right now.

"Jermaine O'Neal's Susp Cut to 15 Gms"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NO CHANGE FOR ARTEST?

This league sucks - I'm done with the NBA.

Banned

So when will the 15 games be done?

Mood

Tonight will be his 15th game out from suspension. If the league doesn't smack this down, Jermaine's first game back will be Saturday vs. Detroit.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I do not see that on the ESPN website.

But I just turned on the radio.

Ooops, just heard it on radio...JO eligible for Saturday.....hmmm wonder if Der Furher had some input for ratings purposes?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

PacersRule1

JO's 15 games will have been served after tonight's game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This reeks of a compromise. Stern won't challenge this, since Jax and Artest will serve their full suspensions, and JO comes back for the Christmas Day game so the league gets their ratings.

Basically, we sold out Ron to get JO back early. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This reeks of a compromise. Stern won't challenge this, since Jax and Artest will serve their full suspensions, and JO comes back for the Christmas Day game so the league gets their ratings.

Basically, we sold out Ron to get JO back early. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Not only did we sell out Ron, we sold out all hopes at a Title. Our year is officially over. Say hello to a 4 seed and a 2nd round exit.

Very happy to get JO back!!!!!

I don't get it. Did they say that nothing would change on Ron and SJax. This may be the first of three changes. Maybe JO's was the easiest to deal with so they did it first considering his was going to be up soon. Now they may try to get Artest or SJax changed next.

Mood

I feel that the way the NBPA and the Pacers viewed this, was that the odds of getting Ron or Jackson's suspensions reduced was so slim, and even JO's to an extent, that they had to choose between: Fight equally for all 3 and lose, or focus on JO and at least get him back. I think getting JO back now is better than nothing. And I feel OK about it because I don't believe we were going to get the others back sooner. If you don't agree with that, then you probably do feel like we sold out.

I don't think it's that bad, but I can't see how we can win it all this year.

Mood

Speculations and predictions aside, I just want to echo WELCOME BACK JERMAINE! I just hope this 10 game reduction sticks.

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

NEW YORK -- Jermaine O'Neal won a 10-game reduction Wednesday in his suspension for fighting with fans during the Nov. 19 Pacers-Pistons brawl, but an arbitrator upheld NBA commissioner David Stern's bans on Ron Artest and two other Indiana players.

Arbitrator Roger Kaplan's decision makes O'Neal eligible to return Saturday, when the Pacers host the Pistons in the teams' first matchup since one of the most violent melees in NBA history.

It was unclear whether the NBA would recognize Kaplan's authority to intervene. The league refused to participate in the arbitration hearing Kaplan conducted Dec. 9.

The NBA had no immediate comment.

Booo... SJax deserved more and Ron deserved less....

Well, 10 games is better than nothing but that is not much of a reduction of the biggest suspensions in history.

Since we do not have any choice, I guess we will have to live with it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"The Pacers" didn't sell out anything.

They weren't looking for a compromise, they were looking to get all of their players back as soon as possible. More than likely, the suspensions for the three players had overlapping points that were discussed, but each case was probably argued on its own merit.

I would say that the arbitrator was influenced by the fact that SJax and Artest both went into the stands, and they both had prior histories. JO did not go into the stands and had no priors.

I wish the decision would have turned out differently, but I can't say that I really disagree with it one way or the other.

There may have been a compromise made, but it had nothing to do with the Pacers. The compromise may not even have been between Kaplan and the league. It may have just been Kaplan offering what would be viewed as just by after considering all circumstances and what could be done for the players that would probably not be challenged by the league.

I don't think Stern will challenge it.

If this is indeed the final ruling then I still see the Pacers or the Simons go the board of gouvernours, unless this is part of a shady deal.

Well one thing is for sure, lawyers will make more money out of this then the players lost and on top of that, the season for the Pacers is down the tubes.

I will withold further comment until i read the ruling of the arbitrator so I at least know what he based his decision on.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Although I think I made more than one prediction, one of the many I made is that Artest would be thrown under the bus in hopes of reducing J.O's, and Jax.

This is not so great

I think his got reduced because he didn't go into the stands.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

To be honest the reduction coming at this time smells real fishy. I think the public will view it as the BA trying to boost ratings, unless they challenge it. And if they do, people will view it as the Commish being arbitrary. I am a bit surprised by the comments I'm hearing on Cornheisers show...seems universal that John Q. Public thinks the suspensions should have stood and that JO and Jax didn't get enough time off.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

If Stern fights this he has a screw loose. He should call a press conference and make nice to the players union. We don't want a lockout/strike next year.

pb777

One side of me is so excited to get JO back! Another is heartbroken that Ron wont be back this year. Is there any other way to attempt getting Ron's suspension reduced? Could they appeal Kaplan's decision in regards to Ron?

It says in article at ESPN that arbitrator upheld decision on Ron and SJax.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Stern fights this he has a screw loose. He should call a press conference and make nice to the players union. We don't want a lockout/strike next year.
    I agree, the smartest thing Stern could do for HIMSELF is to come out and say "I'm not fighting this". It's a minor enough of a change that it still looks like he came down hard on the fight, while now he can also pretend to be with the players union to help avoid lockout/strike later on. He can make himself look good to the other side by supporting this.

Now that I think about it, I will be surprised if Stern/NBA fights this ruling.