Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thought's: Defiance (pummeling the Warriors)

Default Re: Odd Thought's: Defiance (pummeling the Warriors)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    at what point would we hear about suspensions if any are forthcoming?
    That can vary. Soonest will be later this afternoon. There is a process, the refs submit their reports (which they do after every game anyway) the NBA reviews the film, they might interview some of the participants. There is no telling. Could be as late as tomorrow at 3:00 or 4:00.

edit - one thing I just double checked. The Warriors play tonight against the Knicks on ESPN. So they need to make a decision today and they would also make the decision about the Pacers today then also. They just always do it at the same time.

So I would guess around 4:00 we'll know something.

My best guess, Roy gets one game. There might be some fines, but nothing more
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-27-2013 at 09:30 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    careful there. One huge mistake the refs made in the real brawl was staying out of it. Something I will never forget or forgive. To clarify: I am not suggesting the refs should have gone up into the stands or break things up once Ron runs up into the stands, but the refs let tempers fester for a good minute or two prior to the cup being thrown - horrible job

In fact last night one of the refs was also a ref in the real brawl. Now it is the refs job to get into the middle of it and break it up.
    I lost track of Ronnie, but I assume he was standing somewhere out of the way with his arms folded.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Look Roy has been getting very physical D from folks all season, he gets bumped quite a bit and it throws off his hook shot a lot. I am glad to see him respond....finally.

We got some bad mother ****ers on our hands folks. And Paul George is that dude. FIX YO FACES

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    All I kept thinking during it all is "Now Roy can keep his big butt upright." He has horrible balance, until he gets into a scrum and then can absorb literally everything and everyone one shoved at him.
    He's not allowed to use his ninja midget throws during the game.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am sure there will be some "fans" that use this as an excuse to say see they are thugs, but they were never really fans nor were they ever really coming back to the loving embrace of the Pacers.

I completely agree with your sentiment Peck. I loved seeing Hibbert standing up for himself and throwing that little nat Curry around. I too did not think he had it in him. Seeing Hibbert not take their crap and then West coming in there like Sauron with his mace was great. This team is not backing down from anyone and we are not going to take teams trying to bully because they are getting smacked around by us.

With that said when it comes to the NBA and handing out punishment I am bit of a cynic so I can see Hibbert and West getting multiple game suspensions and Curry/Lee getting nothing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I am worried that the league will over react but other than that I don't think it was a big deal. I do hope the Pacers come to Curry's defense if the league considers suspending him. I think he was trying to pull Hibbert away not start anything (and I want him to Kill the Knicks!)

If Hibbert gets one game it will be an over reaction but not something that will hurt us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I lost track of Ronnie, but I assume he was standing somewhere out of the way with his arms folded.....
    He was in '04, but not last night, he was trying to break it up

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I witnessed the original Brawl in the Palace.... last night was no brawl. I don't know what everyone is up in arms about. It was a bit of an escalated scuffle, but it was nowhere close to The Brawl. It went into the crowd just a little bit and only because Curry, Thompson, and Lee PUSHED Hibbert into them. All the players and coaches promptly cleaned it up. I don't see any lasting effects from this incident. Hibbert got a lil excited, but that's what he does. He didn't commit any grievous offenses. At most he sits out the next game, but even then I doubt it. Even if he did, we can win without him.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Kudos to the fans down by the court too for how they reacted. Kstat was in here the other day making a big show that Detroit fans and Indy fans aren't any different and while that may have been true at one point, I would say the two cities have since gone down separate paths. The Pacers fans last night handled themselves with aplomb and class. They are the unsung heroes of last night because that was the only way it could have gotten worse is if one of them had gone after Curry.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

We can win against the Clips without Hibbert no doubt, but I am seriously thinking they might suspend West, too. We cannot win against good teams without West.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    We can win against the Clips without Hibbert no doubt, but I am seriously thinking they might suspend West, too. We cannot win against good teams without West.
    Give Chris Paul ye olde Paul George treatment and it might be enough to crap up their offense.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Give Chris Paul ye olde Paul George treatment and it might be enough to crap up their offense.
    Maybe but CP3 is tough.

Why wouldn't you put Hill on Chris Paul?
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That can vary. Soonest will be later this afternoon. There is a process, the refs submit their reports (which they do after every game anyway) the NBA reviews the film, they might interview some of the participants. There is no telling. Could be as late as tomorrow at 3:00 or 4:00.

edit - one thing I just double checked. The Warriors play tonight against the Knicks on ESPN. So they need to make a decision today and they would also make the decision about the Pacers today then also. They just always do it at the same time.

So I would guess around 4:00 we'll know something.

My best guess, Roy gets one game. There might be some fines, but nothing more
    I think it would be an absolute joke if Roy get's suspended for this game when Kevin Garnett got a gentle slap on the wrist for clubbing Tyler Hansbrough.

This was nothing but a shoving match. Big whoop! The refs got it right. Technicals and an ejection for Roy. I don't think he'll get suspended.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think this is a good reminder to treat each game at face value. You don't play the game or respond to altercations thinking, "hey if I do this I could be suspended and get them suspended. This giving the third place team an advantage. " Or "hey i need to pu$$ out because 8 years ago there was an altercation that really hirt this franchise. "No punches were thrown. No one became a doormat. Roy handled himself perfectly. And we and the rest of the NBA need to quit looking at these guys through the lens of past tragedies and unrealistic expectations.

One game at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Staley View Post
    Yes, and if suspensions are forthcoming, then Vogel will invoke some sort of "us against the world" or "3 games in 3 days" motivational tactic that just brings the team together even more and we win the damn game! Worse will be if Curry is suspended for the Knicks. He deserves to be, but it hurts us in the long run, because they are a good team that could beat the Knicks.

I can't seem to post pictures because I am apparently too stupid, but I was trying to post two "we ride together" pics. I love the juxtaposition of the Granger first bucket picture, where the team is just exuberant and greets him on the sidelines, vs. the picture of the 5 guys walking off the court after this latest "brawl." The Warriors are walking back to the bench as individuals, while the Pacers starting 5 looks like they are ready to storm a castle. This TEAM is just fun to watch.

Look, they play good, Indiana basketball. They share the rock and play with all-out effort on D. They are high character, articulate guys that work hard to contribute to the community, while working equally hard on their craft. When Vogel said smashmouth, he meant SMASHMOUTH. This fight is a non-issue, because the team won't let it be a lingering issue. Only disappointing thing for me is that Larry isn't officially part of the team to receive the credit and enjoy the ride.

I don't know if they will beat the heat or not, but they will play them, and they will give them a run for their money. The fans will come, and I am going to enjoy the ride.

I've been a lurker daily since the exodus from RATS, and frankly don't like posting that much. But I like this board very much because of the excellent moderation and supremely gifted and balanced writers (though it would help if Count55 would quit distracting himself on other sites and if Putnam would return, because I miss reading their stuff).

As someone wrote earlier, this is the payoff for the years of he!!. I am ready to enjoy the ride, win or lose.

Now, how do we pay to keep David West?
    Just wondering are you the same Leroy Staley that played for ISU in the finals against Mich State
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Maybe but CP3 is tough.

Why wouldn't you put Hill on Chris Paul?
    Because Hill can slide over and guard Chauncey, and Stephenson can feast on Caron Butler.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Although it has nothing to do with what happened last night, Roy and Stefan Curry have sort of a history. Roy got whistled out big time in his NCAA tourney finale against Davidson. Stefan Curry had an all-world 2nd half and put GU out of the tournament. Due to the fouls, Hibbert only played 16 minutes. Vitale and Bilas called what happened "Goliath Bias".

Maybe the "Goliath Bias" will figure into whether Roy gets a suspension for last night's fracas. http://tinyurl.com/d8jmx5o

If Roy gets a suspension, I'm gonna be really pissed if Curry, given his role in it, gets nothing. IMHO that would be "Goliath Bias"
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 02-27-2013 at 11:58 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=docpaul;1596576]

I bet that a one game suspension, in the big scheme of things, will be worth QUOTE]

$166,682 per game suspended. Not including any fines.

It will cost DWest $122,000 per game suspended.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I was in line with Gnome's thinking. In person, I thought it looked awful. The replay definitely changed my mind and I'm proud of our guys for sticking together/standing up for themselves.

However, and this is the annoying part, I've already been asked by 4 people at work about the Pacers fight last night. I hate that we don't get the attention we deserve for how good we are, but when this happens everyone seems to know about it.
    This is simply the world we live in. Bad news makes headlines...misery loves company. Anyone that is disappointed in what happened last night or in Roy or David etc just flat out doesnt get it and thats ok by me. Go away. We have desperately needed some backbone on this team and a bit of an enforcer image to step forward outside of David West if we are gonna truly epitomize this Smash Mouth basketball image we have grown so fond of. How many times have we almost been embarassed by how Roy just "takes it"? Finally he stood up for what he believed was something that was just too much. With his reputation and mild-mannered personality he not only gets a total pass and every benefit of the doubt, but huge kudos for showing the world that there is even a limit for him and how much he will let pass. Will he get suspended? Probably a token game so the NBA can save face and send the message that such wont be tolerated though he truly doesnt deserve such. You know what I hope? I hope they do come out a little severe in the punishments. It will only serve to strengthen this teams bond and resolve. And give fans an additional war cry, if even such is really needed. And I think that could come in the form of David West and/or Lance. We shall see. Danny comes back and now this. You can really see the groundwork being laid for this team really uniting even more than it already is. And the timing couldnt be much better as we enter the stretch run. Kudos Roy and others. Way to make us proud.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

What bothers me is that from now on the refs will clamp down on the Pacers physical defensive style of play which is why they are successful. I truly hope not, but I won't be surprised.

careful there. One huge mistake the refs made in the real brawl was staying out of it. Something I will never forget or forgive.
    True. IMO they overdid it last night. Sure the shoving was directed into that corner so they didn't have much in causing the scuffle to go near fans, but it looked as though they (Hibbert & Lee) were just gonna go at it for a few shoves and be done, then again I don't think I'll ever know what Steph was thinking. He dragged Roy that direction and everyone else followed.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    When I walked out of the arena bowl and seen Peck & Hicks talking, my face was so long I would've tripped over my bottom lip thinking Roy lost his friggin mind. Discussing it didn't help neither me or the Mrs. It wasn't until I got home and seen the video that I changed my mind and mood. Roy was completely justified in his actions... If it was just Lee and Hibbs with no intervention from the pip squeak brigade, this is just a typical NBA dust-up with double techs assessed. Roy didn't ask Curry to bum rush him... twice and he sure didn't ask to be shoved from behind by Klay Thompson & Jarret Jack.

I guess I was worried more about the franchise revisiting the court of public opinion with the local media presenting the "facts". However, the local media outlets and especially the one that I work for has decided to treat this "scrum" like the fart in the wind that it is. It'll suck probably losing one maybe two of our guys for Thursday, but I'll take that knowing my man's balls finally dropped for all of us to see!

Great win!

I would have used the thanks button but it is not present so thanks for a summation of how I feel.
    Three of the Warriors guards all got into pushing Roy. Jack,Thompson and his basketball and Curry.
    Frankly I hope they all get belated technicals for escalating what was already over.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

34. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Paul's numbers during this 5 game stretch

19 PPG, 10 RPG, 6 APG 51% from the field 2SPG 1BPG

Super. Star.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Can someone explain to me why they think Roy is going to be suspended, beyond some cynical "the league is going to clamp down" assumption? Seriously I have watched the replay over and over and for the life of me I can't even figure out where the second tech came from.

Maybe I just have homer glasses on but from what I saw Roy pushes David Lee (first tech), they bump shoulders, guys rush in, then Roy WALKS AWAY out of the meelee to the sideline. Curry comes at Roy once as Roy is walking away and Roy half-shoves, half-dodges him, then Curry comes straight at Roy a second time and Roy gives him a good shove out of the way. Roy's second shove was more emphatic, so maybe that's where the second tech came from (I don't agree, what the heck was he supposed to do, fall over?).

Other than shoving Curry out of the way for coming at him, Roy does NOTHING. He makes a point TWICE to completely avoid the shoving match between the other players, I mean he actually removes himself from the action entirely and walks away.

I just don't see how on earth this warrants a suspension for Roy unless the league decides they need to make an example out of someone, which I suppose is possible but by the letter of the law here I just don't see it.

Again, help me take off my homer glasses and tell me where I'm wrong.

BTW The game was AWESOME, I am not trying to overshadow this great win, but everyone here seems to be talking about the fight and potential aftermath and I am a little puzzled.

EDIT: My post basically made PD explode all over my computer when I tried to embed the video, here is the link http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/89...anapolis-crowd

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    Can someone explain to me why they think Roy is going to be suspended, beyond some cynical "the league is going to clamp down" assumption? Seriously I have watched the replay over and over and for the life of me I can't even figure out where the second tech came from.
    Because it looked a HELL of a whole lot worse in person than it did on tv. From my view, it looked like Roy had flung multiple Warriors around like ragdolls, you couldn't see Curry acting a fool and trying to go after Roy again after the first time he got launched.

But I will say that I was proud of how the crowd adopted the old "Us Versus The World" attitude from the brawl year after Roy got tossed and no Warriors got the same treatment, and I think the team fed off that energy the rest of the way.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 02-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: