View Poll Results: Who do you prefer as the color-commentator?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Austin Croshere

39 37.86%
  • Quinn Buckner

64 62.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austin Croshere or Quinn Buckner

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Austin Croshere or Quinn Buckner

For me, Quinn is one of the most irritating announcers ever. I find him to be presumptuous and condescending and not very smart basketball wise. I generally watch the other broadcast on Directv to avoid Quinn.

That said, others, even a majority, have a different opinion. And I can respect that.

I love Denari. Croshere is tolerable.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really a toss up for me, but I prefer Croshere, overall.

QB, when I've met him, couldn't be a nicer person. He's willing to say hello, talk for a bit during halftime. He's a smart guy. He knows basketball from the inside out. At times I think he'll talk a little too much and try and overpower Denari and berate him and the audience.

Cro I think does a better job. While he comes across as a little dry, he calls the game like it should. He doesn't go overboard with the calls for the Pacers or against the Pacers. He does have a sense of humor.

Nonetheless, both QB and Cro do a much better job than most announcers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    QB. At times I think he'll talk a little too much and try and overpower Denari and berate him and the audience.
    Berate? Here is the definition. to scold somebody vigorously and at length
    Is that what you really mean?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Berate? Here is the definition. to scold somebody vigorously and at length
    Is that what you really mean?
    Don't think Denari will ever be angry with them
    "We want Miami"

Yeah, that is what I meant.
    Why do you mean that?
    "We want Miami"

I think Quinn and Chris have a great relationship - at least on air. That is probably the best part of their broadcasts, is their on air chemistry. Clark and Al Albert, they always seemed to butt heads - no chemistry there at all.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I think Quinn and Chris have a great relationship - at least on air. That is probably the best part of their broadcasts, is their on air chemistry. Clark and Al Albert, they always seemed to butt heads - no chemistry there at all.
    Slick and Jerry Baker? Good or bad chemistry?
    "We want Miami"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Quinn's bumbling and I like his chemistry with Denari better than Croshere's. Not that Croshere is bad; he's been doing fairly well. I dislike his voice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy View Post
    I like Quinn's bumbling and I like his chemistry with Denari better than Croshere's. Not that Croshere is bad; he's been doing fairly well. I dislike his voice, though.
    He talks like he's yelling but he's not
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Why do you mean that?
    He doesn't do in a nasty way, but it seems he'll be overpowering in what Denari will say and likes to make it seem like he knows it all. Maybe it's just me because Denari laughs it off.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quinn. He does know his stuff.

He doesn't do in a nasty way, but it seems he'll be overpowering in what Denari will say and likes to make it seem like he knows it all. Maybe it's just me because Denari laughs it off.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quinn. He does know his stuff.
    I think he likes when Quinn talks a lot. I'm sure he doesn't mind
    "We want Miami"

I definitely think they have nice chemistry. They definitely enjoy calling games with each other and they've done it for so long.

Same with Chris and Austin. They haven't done games together for as long as Chris and Quinn have, but they both seem have nice chemistry as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Croshere seems like a guy that went to school for broadcasting, does the basics of the job, but doesn't really bring a whole lot else to the table. With Quinn he is not your typical analyst but he brings humor and a lot of really cool stories.

I prefer the fun broadcaster more than the technically sound guy. #QB4LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Slick and Jerry Baker? Good or bad chemistry?
    Great!

Mood

On the whole I think the Pacers have it very good. Cro is very informative and Quinn has great insight and personality. Denari is just a pros' pro.

As far as other guys like like to listen to:
    Dell Curry-Bobcats
    Phil Chanier (sp?) Wizards
    Walt Frazier- Knicks

Some of the worst:
    Jim Barnett- Warriors (WAYYY too biased)
    Heinshon- as mentioned before, annoying and biased
    Fred Mcleod/Austin Carr- Cleveland: atrocious to listen to, often slow

Sports Logo Sports Logo

we should start a Stacy or Brooke thread!

i gotta give Stacey my vote. whats she up to these days anyway?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I had to pick between Cro and Quinn, I'd pick Croshere by a slim margin, but as UB said, it kind of depends on the game.

Denari and Clark was a special team, unfortunate they were only together for a short period of time. Denari could easily get a national job though, but I hope the Pacers pay him good money to stay.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    and not very smart basketball wise.

Quinn?

I can get not liking his style.

But not very smart basketball wise?

unreal.

While Buckner was a failure with the Mavericks, it was mostly a matter of style that didn't endear him to professional players, but as Knight told the Trib...

March 7, 1993
    Bob Knight, who still uses Quinn Buckner as an example of leadership at Indiana, predicts the newly named Dallas Mavericks coach will succeed in turning around the struggling NBA team. But he's not quite sure why Buckner wants to do it. "I hope he got paid a lot. And I hope he has a four- or five-year contract," Knight said of his former player, hired Thursday as the Mavericks' coach beginning next season. "I always thought he was far too intelligent to coach, but I think it's a real challenge for him. The great part of it is that he's taken over a team that when he does something with it-and he will do something with it-it'll have his mark on it. "And I think that's a great thing for a young guy in coaching," Knight said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ob-knight-hope

Or this gem from 1986:

KNIGHT RIPS PACERS
    Never was heard a discouraging word from Quinn Buckner, who was put on waivers this week by the Indiana Pacers.
    And what did Buckner`s former college coach at Indiana University, Bob Knight, think of the move?
    ``It`s really a shame to have a professional team in this state that`s handled as incompetently as that one is,`` fumed Knight.
    Buckner, a 10-year NBA veteran, was waived to make room for Clark Kellogg, the Pacers` leading scorer and rebounder, who had been on injured reserve for six weeks. Buckner, acquired from the Boston Celtics, was averaging 3.7 points a game.
    Pacers` coach George Irvine said Buckner ``fulfilled some of the leadership qualities, but one of the main problems with having Quinn on the team is his biggest weakness is outside shooting, and our biggest weakness is outside shooting.``
    But Knight said some of the Celtics` players ``have told me how valuable he (Buckner) was to them. These people up there (in Indianapolis) just don`t know enough about the game to know how to utilize the guy.
    ``I read some of the garbage that goes on up there, both from the people who write who don`t know anything to people involved with the team who don`t know anything.
    ``It`s a shame for a state that`s as good in basketball as this one is to have a team in professional basketball in the hands of and surrounded by people who don`t know anything about it except for (consultant) Wayne Embry.`` Pacer president Bob Salyers and Embry refused comment on Knight`s criticism.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg

But if you don't want to hear it from Knight, how 'bout Phil Jackson?

RICHFIELD, Ohio — The firing of Quinn Buckner on Tuesday, while not a shock to Bulls coach Phil Jackson, was somewhat disturbing just the same.
    "I think most people in the NBA feel that Quinn, although he hasn't gone through the elements of coaching from ground level to get to head coach, had the kind of knowledge and intellect it would take to be a good coach," Jackson said.

Jackson said first-year NBA coaches with no previous experience like Buckner should not be discounted so easily.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...off-type-bulls
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Quinn?

I can get not liking his style.

But not very smart basketball wise?

unreal.

While Buckner was a failure with the Mavericks, it was mostly a matter of style that didn't endear him to professional players, but as Knight told the Trib...

March 7, 1993
    Bob Knight, who still uses Quinn Buckner as an example of leadership at Indiana, predicts the newly named Dallas Mavericks coach will succeed in turning around the struggling NBA team. But he's not quite sure why Buckner wants to do it. "I hope he got paid a lot. And I hope he has a four- or five-year contract," Knight said of his former player, hired Thursday as the Mavericks' coach beginning next season. "I always thought he was far too intelligent to coach, but I think it's a real challenge for him. The great part of it is that he's taken over a team that when he does something with it-and he will do something with it-it'll have his mark on it. "And I think that's a great thing for a young guy in coaching," Knight said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ob-knight-hope

Or this gem from 1986:

KNIGHT RIPS PACERS
    Never was heard a discouraging word from Quinn Buckner, who was put on waivers this week by the Indiana Pacers.
    And what did Buckner`s former college coach at Indiana University, Bob Knight, think of the move?
    ``It`s really a shame to have a professional team in this state that`s handled as incompetently as that one is,`` fumed Knight.
    Buckner, a 10-year NBA veteran, was waived to make room for Clark Kellogg, the Pacers` leading scorer and rebounder, who had been on injured reserve for six weeks. Buckner, acquired from the Boston Celtics, was averaging 3.7 points a game.
    Pacers` coach George Irvine said Buckner ``fulfilled some of the leadership qualities, but one of the main problems with having Quinn on the team is his biggest weakness is outside shooting, and our biggest weakness is outside shooting.``
    But Knight said some of the Celtics` players ``have told me how valuable he (Buckner) was to them. These people up there (in Indianapolis) just don`t know enough about the game to know how to utilize the guy.
    ``I read some of the garbage that goes on up there, both from the people who write who don`t know anything to people involved with the team who don`t know anything.
    ``It`s a shame for a state that`s as good in basketball as this one is to have a team in professional basketball in the hands of and surrounded by people who don`t know anything about it except for (consultant) Wayne Embry.`` Pacer president Bob Salyers and Embry refused comment on Knight`s criticism.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-17/sports/8601050249_1_super-bowl-all-american-bowl-clark-kellogg

But if you don't want to hear it from Knight, how 'bout Phil Jackson?

RICHFIELD, Ohio — The firing of Quinn Buckner on Tuesday, while not a shock to Bulls coach Phil Jackson, was somewhat disturbing just the same.
    "I think most people in the NBA feel that Quinn, although he hasn't gone through the elements of coaching from ground level to get to head coach, had the kind of knowledge and intellect it would take to be a good coach," Jackson said.

Jackson said first-year NBA coaches with no previous experience like Buckner should not be discounted so easily.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...off-type-bulls
    I hear ya. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I've learned more basketball from Croshere this year than I did from Quinn in five years.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    and shame on most of you for not simulcasting with Mark and Slick for home games.
    It really is the only way to watch a Pacers game. TV sound down, and bump the Boom Baby crew up to full blast on the nearest radio.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I hear ya. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I've learned more basketball from Croshere this year than I did from Quinn in five years.
    Croshere definitely pays more attention to pointing out and explaining play calls and cuts and screens. I admittedly don't know a ton about the tactical side of the game so it's fun to hear that stuff.

What I love about Quinn, though, is he has such a deep knowledge of the psychological and emotional side of basketball, which is a skill very view announcers have. The way he calls a game is really narrative and personal and unique.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bob Lamey

Quinn cause he makes me laugh sometimes. Not a knock on him, he knows his stuff but sometimes he states the obvious and can't help but laugh. Like that moment this season( someone posted it on here):
    Denari: Why did the Pacers lose tonight, Quinn?
    Buckner: Well... they lost cause they were outscored.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Undefeated

I love Quinn. He get's really excited and is just fun to listen too. His laugh is like a basketball Santa, and he's got some homer and pacer love in him. Also, he's got no time for soft play.

Austin is ok. I think he's pretty good, but I really don't like his voice, and he reminds me of Jaws from the old James Bond films
    Danger Zone

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like both and don't really have a preference. I will say that Austin can be hard to understand sometimes, but he is really good I think. On the other hand, Quinn seems to always have an excuse for the players when they do something wrong rather than just saying they made a bad play. I'm super duper thankful we don't have to listen to someone like Stacy King though.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

I like them both, but I wish that Quinn would just dial it back a touch when the Pacers make a great play, he is so over the top.

I find Dominique Wilkins when he is the 2nd announcer for the Hawks another really blatant homer.
    The Cavs guy is also very annoying with all his stupid sayings.