Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actual Pacers/Warriors Postgame Thread: Basketball talk only please

Default Re: Actual Pacers/Warriors Postgame Thread: Basketball talk only please

wooo way to go George Hill! Way to set the tone early! I hope he keeps this sort of play up!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice win that takes us 4 games ahead of Chicago!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Loved seeing Danny hit that routine jumper. Reminded me of old times. Must be a crazy adjustment period for him because I even forgot what watching him was like.

Seems like Danny has a knack for throwing soft passes Mahinmi actually can catch.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2nd unit but West was out there for a good portion of it on his first appearance. George, Hill, and West were out there for his 2nd appearance.
    Yeah, this was a change from the Detroit game. Vogel worked to have Danny get some more "starters" time. For a short run it was basically the starters and Ian.

Danny's bucket came off a standard Danny drive to jumpshot, and so far in both games his shown that his moves aren't far off the norm. I think a small portion of his bad shooting is just nerves about missing. You can kinda see him get more confident as he gets involved or makes a play. There's a touch of "I don't want to spoil this" to his game.

In big part thanks to Curry the Warriors shot better from 3 than from 2. Crazy. Of course Curry was 7-10 from 2 and from 3. As I said on Twitter, this was similar to the game in GSW where he and Klay just couldn't be defended at times. In that game I recall Klay hitting a slump point too, but not as pronounced perhaps. Also in this case the Pacers scored the ball much better than they did out there and that ultimately made the difference.

Also for all his flopping Jarret Jack couldn't get his shot going. I really kinda hated his game tonight. He was really obsessing with some of his flop stuff. I couldn't believe they gave him the call on that old school sweep through where he basically fouls himself on PG's arms.

My Twitter game for the night was "which GSW big would foul out first". Stupid scrum ruined it because Biedrens was about to win I think. But Roy/West/Danny had their front line in foul trouble all game. I mean Lee or Carl Landry are defending David West??? Yes, please.

To me the most impressive thing was how the Pacers kept defending the drive and kick to the weakside. They read that for steals all night, or better put they often forced GSW to blatantly pass the ball to the Pacers trying to make that kickout (that wasn't there). It had to happend 5-6 times at the very least, probably more. Like one time it went to West but he lost it, so I don't think it counted as a steal.

Curry was annoying (for several reasons) but it's kinda cool to be at an NBA game when someone has it going like that. Of course we had 2 guys (West) and for awhile 3 (Hill), so apart from the scrum it was pretty darn entertaining.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Danny Granger seems to always shoot bad at the start of the season. He should be getting into his groove just before the playoffs.

We have to keep David West. He just owns everyone. I have only seen him get shut down one time this season, against the Grizzlies on New Years eve. He really should have been an all star this year.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

One thing about Granger that makes me positive is that his D is already looking good. It's not as many minutes as usual but he's still playing hard on both ends. He just needs game shape. I bet it'll click for him in a week or two, he'll score 20, and the Danny we know and love will be back.

I have come full circle on David West. Amazing what a different player he is this year. It's really Neatoh.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Has any Pacer in the past 10 seasons had a more quietly good season than George Hill? Dude's at 14.7pts/4rbs/5ast/1st in his first season as a full-time PG. And he's doing it while playing solid D and hitting clutch shots.

I feel like I've underappreciated him this season, but he's having a hell of a season.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

What was encouraging from Danny is what you guys have already pointed out: he got himself to the line. West and Tyler are really the only other players who both force contact in that way and get the respect from the refs. Paul will get there next year. I think Danny's transition will be a little smoother because he knows he can get those kinds of calls, get into a rhythm from the line, and start to hit jumpers off of cuts and screens. It's odd to consider a 2-17 shooting start encouraging, but the baby steps are exactly how I wanted to see him return.

I also thought Hill really played hard on D despite Curry's immaculate shooting and ankle-breaking ball handling. This team is just too fun to watch right now. I'd say put us on national TV more but...

Sports Logo

Curry's shooting was amazing but he made a bunch of awful passes. I'm surprised he only had 6 turnovers.
    Curry's shooting was the ONLY reason the Warriors were in it. With 2+ minutes in the 2nd QTR....the Pacers were up by 11....and by the end of the half....they were up by 1 or 2 pts ( I forget ). All because of Curry scoring a whole bunch of points in an instant.

Offensively...the Warriors...led by Curry, Lee, Jack, Klay and even Landry...are a highly efficient scoring Team. They are good at converting on each of their possesions. That's why they were in this game until the defense simply clamped down while the Pacers offense finally kicked in.

If the Pacers defense wasn't this good.....the Warriors easily could have won the game in the end. They kept on coming back and scoring.

Also...something to note....the Pacers on average keep teams from making up to 5 3pt Attempts a game. The Warriors made 12-21 ( 57% ) of the 3pt shots. Having the best 3pt shooting in the league hit 7-10 3pt attempts doesn't help.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Also for all his flopping Jarret Jack couldn't get his shot going. I really kinda hated his game tonight. He was really obsessing with some of his flop stuff. I couldn't believe they gave him the call on that old school sweep through where he basically fouls himself on PG's arms.
    The sweep through is still a foul, but they have changed the rules this season so that it isn't a shooting foul.

Yes, he is looking better and better. He really is a force defensively, and he is starting to be more forcefuul on his shots. I was worried after the first two Biedrins blocks, but he came right back at him. His shoorting percentage is creepign up. Good stuff.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leroy Staley For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't be the only one that really loathes the "Clear Path" foul, right? The only reason I see for its existence is that it allows for a showboat dunk and punishes the team trying to stop it from happening with 2 FTs and the ball.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy View Post
    I can't be the only one that really loathes the "Clear Path" foul, right? The only reason I see for its existence is that it allows for a showboat dunk and punishes the team trying to stop it from happening with 2 FTs and the ball.
    The Pacers definently got that call for some reason, but I kind of agree with the rule if its clearly ahead with noone in front, otherwise people would just foul off the ball. A highlight dunk or two is always nice and most players need clear path to do it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I have come full circle on David West. Amazing what a different player he is this year. It's really Neatoh.
    Except the fact that he isn't a different player. He's a bigger part of the offensive scheme, but his numbers are pretty close to last years. He's shooting 0.05% better, and getting more assists due to having the ball more. His rebounding rate is pretty much identical, 1 every 4 mins, which is why he's getting 1 more rebound because he plays 4 more minutes.

This is why listening to how bad DWest was last year was so damn funny.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I like the rule, but when it's bang-bang, I think they need to go with just a regular foul. Last nights call was horrible though. The foul happend the moment GH grabbed the ball and Lee was clearly between him and the Pacers basket.

I think they should take it away. I gives the team 2 FTs and the ball which is way worse than if you give up a dunk or lay-up
    Smothered Chicken!

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I think they should take it away. I gives the team 2 FTs and the ball which is way worse than if you give up a dunk or lay-up
    That's the point.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

David was a monster. He imposed his will against a PF who can't play D. We've seen it so much this season.
    David West's basketball IQ is at an all-time high. He's not a quick as he used to be (he was never a track star to begin with) but he really understands the game and knows how to exploit his defender's weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Except the fact that he isn't a different player. He's a bigger part of the offensive scheme, but his numbers are pretty close to last years. He's shooting 0.05% better, and getting more assists due to having the ball more. His rebounding rate is pretty much identical, 1 every 4 mins, which is why he's getting 1 more rebound because he plays 4 more minutes.

It goes beyond stats, and really has more to do with his defense than offense. His defense last year was pretty mediocre, still was at the beginning of the season, but it is now leagues better than it was.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Offensively, I completely agree with you. He's basically the exact same player as he was last year, with a higher usage rate. Defensively, I think he has been much, much better this year. He's more active with his hands, his help-side rotation has been nearly flawless, and he moves so much more fluidly covering the pick and roll.

But seriously... DUH!! Anyone who didn't think having another full year after his knee surgery would help him, is a moron.

The guy is a great player. He was one of my favorites before he came here, and he's already in the argument for my all-time favorite Pacer ever. It won't surprise me to see some other team throw a ton of money at him, but the Pacers would have to be crazy not to make him their biggest priority after this season. If you have to cut bait on Danny Granger in the summer, in order to keep David West, I don't think that is even a debate. He's an absolute monster as a player, and even more important as a leader. If he isn't a Pacer next year, I'm going to be devastated.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

But it really isn't. West is the receipent of playing with a great defense team. He was a pretty good defender last year. He's never lost, he always has active hands. When the team you're playing on is a defensive juggernaut, it makes each individual look better due to the collective.

Is he the exact same player? Of course not. He moves so much better this year, but that should have been expected. Being a little slow, especially laterally, should be expected with a ACL injury, and not some launching pad for criticism, like it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    That's the point.
    What is the point of implementing the rule anyways?
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    What is the point of implementing the rule anyways?
    To reward the defense for making a steal or creating a turnover.... And being able to turn it into points instead of the team that turns it over bail themselves out an just grab the player

I was at the game last night. I am just amazed at how good PGeorge is. He is going to be the best Pacer of all time IMO. When he, West and Hill are at a high level? Bring on ANYONE!!! You hear that Miami???
    Concerns: Bench didn't play well at all last night. Ian played better after Roy was ejected. A minor thing I guess.
    Please no suspensions also!!! The whole thing would have been over if Curry hadn't come over to grab Roy. He's the one who should get suspended. Thompson kept it going too.