Thread: Tom Brady signs a team & cap-friendly contract extension, taking him to age 40

Default Tom Brady signs a team & cap-friendly contract extension, taking him to age 40

The deal saves the Patriots 15 million in cap space over the next 2 salary cap-flat years and pays him (only?) 9 million per season in the 3 years of the extension, while preventing him from being ousted for salary reasons ala Peyton.

Most view this as a concession that will allow the team to re-sign Welker or other weapons to improve the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ion-extension/

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...year-extension

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...rady-extension

1. Brady’s salary cap charge of about $22 million in 2013 and $22 million in 2014 was a huge figure, a result of the team renegotiating his contract last season and pushing money into 2013 and 2014. This extension provides $15 million in cap relief over the next two seasons and that’s the key for the Patriots, as the salary cap isn’t rising. The expectation is that there will be a lot of quality players on the open market because of the number of teams scrambling to get under the cap, and this puts the Patriots in better position to capitalize.

2. Brady wants to finish his career competing for championships, and this deal gives the Patriots financial flexibility to add more talented players around Brady. The trust built between Brady and the team gave Brady more comfort in agreeing to this type of deal -- which is generous to the team –- because he believes the club will do the right thing with the money. That trust, a source said, has been built up since 2000 when Brady first joined the franchise.

3. Could receiver Wes Welker be next? With Brady taking this type of deal (he surely could have commanded more if he desired), it makes one wonder if one of his closest friends might take a similar approach. Welker is scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

4. With the contract extending to 2017, it strengthens the chances that Brady will retire as a member of the Patriots. Brady turns 40 in 2017.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ean-for-welker

Dear Jets fans: Tom Brady will count $13.8 million dollars against the cap this season. Mark Sanchez will count $12.85 million dollars against the cap this season. Have a nice day!
    Sincerely, New England Patriots fans.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tom Brady signs a team & cap-friendly contract extension, taking him to age 40

Looks like a good deal for both parties. Brady and his wife already have more money than God, and I'm sure that winning at least one more title before he retires is at the absolute top of his list of priorities.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Tom Brady signs a team & cap-friendly contract extension, taking him to age 40

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like a good deal for both parties. Brady and his wife already have more money than God, and I'm sure that winning at least one more title before he retires is at the absolute top of his list of priorities.
    Indeed, Brady and the Pats can screw off, but good on him. It's also pretty crazy to think despite all the money he's made he really can't touch his wife's fortune. Married a woman that's not just gorgeous but has AMPLE money of her own, hate him all you want, Tom Brady does life right.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Brady's receiving corp is up in the air for now so they have work to do:

Welker- free agent
    Edelman- free agent
    Branch- free agent and running on fumes
    Brandon Lloyd- rumored as about to be cut for "erratic behavior"
    Woodhead- free agent (RB not WR, but a pass catching target)
    Gronk- surgery #3, for an infection

yikes

Lloyd story: http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-brand...atic-behavior/
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I'm hoping that Gronk is healthy and ready to go next year. We get to keep one player in our fantasy league and Gronk is the obvious choice if healthy. But if his situation is up in the air, then I might have to think about Marshawn Lynch because he was an absolute beast last year. Touchdowns are most important though and no one gets more touchdowns than a healthy Gronk.

You think Welker comes back, Slick?

I think Welker will be back and that most likely was part of the Brady contract discussions- "If in this deal we can get my cap number to X over the next 2 years, can you offer Wes Y for those 2 years?"

I expect a trade for another WR. Percy Harvin is an obvious candidate, though he's smurfy small. I don't expect them to get into the FA bidding war for Wallace, but a minor offer for someone like Hartline wouldn't be a shocker.

The dream scenario is sending a draft pick and Ryan Mallett to Arizona in order to bust Larry Fitzgerald out of loserville. Mallett isn't going to want to wait 5 more years, and a QB about to be released, like Matt Cassel, can hold that clipboard I'd think
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Brady's receiving corp is up in the air for now so they have work to do:

Welker- free agent
    Edelman- free agent
    Branch- free agent and running on fumes
    Brandon Lloyd- rumored as about to be cut for "erratic behavior"
    Woodhead- free agent (RB not WR, but a pass catching target)
    Gronk- surgery #3, for an infection

yikes

Lloyd story: http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-brand...atic-behavior/
    How much money do they have now?

Welker and Talib are the biggest names to keep. Volmer is also up there but I am not sure they can keep all 3.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    How much money do they have now?

Welker and Talib are the biggest names to keep. Volmer is also up there but I am not sure they can keep all 3.
    The Patriots have over $30 million in cap space now. It's a good deal for the Patriots. It's also a very good deal for Brady. He's certainly no martyr, nor should he be. It basically gives Brady a $3 million cash raise and fully guarantees all the money he has coming in the next two years. It's a mutually beneficial deal through creative accounting.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

57 million is the guaranteed money he will get out of this. Not bad at all.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

I remember hearing Colts' fan explaining that Manning could never really do this to this degree because of market value and the players' union having a fit because it would mess with the market value for other players....

I always thought that was making excuses because exceptional players can always do exceptional things that don't necessarily apply to anyone but themselves... IMHO. So has the union said a word about this?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dont worry, the union is pissed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Dont worry, the union is pissed.

I'm sure that Flacco and Rodgers aren't exactly doing cartwheels about it, that's for sure.

I respect Brady for doing what he felt was best for him and his team. You certainly can't question his commitment to winning another championship.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

He got a $30 million dollar upfront signing bonus and his deal has $57 million dollars guaranteed if he's on the roster for 2 more years. He just agreed to take a bunch of money now rather than wait for it over time. While he could have certainly gotten more than the $3 million dollar annual raise that he accepted, it would have been at the cost of the enormous payday he got for signing and having the deal be fully guaranteed. He gave up a bit of annual salary for the bonus and the guaranteed contract (highly unusual in the NFL) which gave the team more cap space. It was a win-win for the the team and the player but don't act like Brady is making some huge sacrifice by accepting the money now rather than over time.

The back end of his contract may pay him only $9 million dollars per year but that's because he's already been given the bonus money and the odds that he plays in 2015-2017 at that number are extremely slim.

All in all, he didn't really take a below market deal. He just shuffled it all around so the team has more money to play with.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-28-2013 at 08:34 AM.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He got a $30 million dollar upfront signing bonus and his deal has $57 million guaranteed. He just agreed to take a bunch of money now rather than wait for it over time.
    It still effects the franchise tag, negativly.

Not that I think it should matter. Lifes not fair....but I bet Flacco and Rogers agents are pissed right now

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    It still effects the franchise tag, negativly.

Not that I think it should matter. Lifes not fair....but I bet Flacco and Rogers agents are pissed right now
    Yes, it does lower the franchise tag but I don't think either one of those guys would have to seriously worry about being franchise tagged. I've got to think both players will work out long term deals.

-Lance Stephenson

The effect on the franchise tag number is pretty minor. Brees replaces Brady among the top 5 QB cap numbers and the tag salary drops 800K, but it's still up near 20 million. Not like I wouldn't like an extra 800K, but relative to 20 million it's kinda like the change you find on your couch, for most of us.

The reaction of players could be mixed. Your teammates are likely to appreciate that you are not taking up 20% of the team's cap room. A few of them are more likely to be retained. It would seem that only guys on other teams at your position are negatively impacted.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: