Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expectations check-in

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Expectations check-in

I hope Frank and the team's expectation is NBA championship. If the Pacers ever won the championship I would cryyyyy like a baby I'll tell you that.

I really think this team has a puncher's chance of winning the whole thing. They're very, very good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope Frank and the team's expectation is NBA championship. If the Pacers ever won the championship I would cryyyyy like a baby I'll tell you that.

I really think this team has a puncher's chance of winning the whole thing. They're very, very good.
    The more I see, the more I believe. This team is tough.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Some of this stuff needs to go in Knee Jerk reaction...Just like when we get too negative. I realize we have killed the teams the last 4, but 3 of those wins came against Detroit and Charlotte.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Some of this stuff needs to go in Knee Jerk reaction...Just like when we get too negative. I realize we have killed the teams the last 4, but 3 of those wins came against Detroit and Charlotte.
    I'm more tickled pink at the fact that we are 31-14 over the last 45. That's only .5 games worse than the Clippers, and behind only them San Antonio, Miami and Oklahoma City during the same period.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Anything less than ECF is a failure, unless something weird happens and we get Miami in the 2nd round.

Pretty nice to feel that way after being ready to blow it up at 3-7.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Anything less than ECF is a failure, unless something weird happens and we get Miami in the 2nd round.

Pretty nice to feel that way after being ready to blow it up at 3-7.
    Not to be a debbie downer....but to echo boombaby1987 and what I said earlier.....there is only a 3 game between the 2nd and 6th place Teams. Anything can happen in the span of 27 games.

If we fall to the 4th spot or below....we can face the Heat in the 2nd round.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Not to be a debbie downer....but to echo boombaby1987 and what I said earlier.....there is only a 3 game between the 2nd and 6th place Teams. Anything can happen in the span of 27 games.

And then beat them and advance to the ECF. Success!
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Sports Logo

Seth is going to have to do a Schedule Breakdown for the Pacers, Knicks, Hawks and the Bulls.
    We have an easier schedule than the Knicks, the Bulls and the Nets. I have looked that up.

The Knicks play more against over .500 teams in the second season. They are going to have a very tough March. Their March schedule:

@ WAS (they're playing a lot better, we're lucky that we played them before Wall returned, already beat the NYK once in Washington)

vs MIA

@ CLE (second night of a back to back)

@ DET

vs OKC (second night of a back to back)

vs Utah

@ GS

@ DEN

@ POR

@ LAC

@ Utah

vs ORL

@ TOR (playing a lot better after the Gay injury, already 2-0 against NYK)

vs TOR (second night of a back to back, home and home series)

@ BOS

vs MEM (second night of a back to back)

vs CHA

vs BOS

Their April is not going to be any easier either. Here's the April:

@ MIA

@ ATL (second night of a back to back)

vs MIL

@ OKC

vs WAS

@ CHI

@ CLE (second night of a back to back)

vs IND

@ CHA (second night of a back to back)

vs ATL

There are chances that they will continue to struggle since their schedule is getting increasingly tougher.

The Bulls have had a tough February (went 4 - 6 so far and they play @ OKC, vs CLE and vs PHI) and their March has at least 7 tough games (vs BRK, @ IND, @ SAS, @ GS, vs DEN, vs IND and vs MIA) while 3 or more games could be hard as well (vs Utah, @ LAL, vs POR and possible @ DAL).

The Nets don't have as hard of a schedule as the Knicks but they have by far the less home games remaining (only 10 home games remaining as they have already played 31 home games). 16 of their 26 remaining games are on the road including an 8 game road trip that starts at March 18 in Detroit and ends at April 3 in Cleveland. The cause of the road trip is the Rodeo and during that span they play road games @ DAL (they are on a 3 game winning streak), @ LAC, @ POR, @ DEN and @ Utah (second game of a back to back). They also have to play games @ CHI, @ ATL, @ BOS, @ IND and @ TOR.

I don't know anything about the Hawks. I'll check it right now

They have played more playoff games (28) than road games (26). In fact, the only Eastern Conference team that has played more road games than home games is Miami (26 to 27). We have played an equal amount of home and road games (both at 28).

The Hawks started a 6 game road trip with today's game against Milwaukee. They play @ DET, @ Utah, @ PHO, @ LAL and @ DEN (second night of a back to back). Then they play vs PHI. A tough stretch follows with games @ BOS, vs BRK (second night of a back to back), @ MIA. Afterwards, they play vs LAL and vs PHO. They go @ BRK and then host DAL on the following day. They play vs MIL and vs POR and then they go at a 4 game road streak playing @ MIL, @ IND (second night of a back to back), @ TOR and @ BOS and they close up their March vs ORL (second night of a back to back).

Their April is home heavy (5 home games versus 3 road games) but they play the Knicks twice (vs NYK at 3, @ NYK at 17), they host Toronto at 16 (possibly fighting for a PO spot) and they play @ SAS at 6 (although, SAS will probably rest their big 3 at that time).

Overall, none of our opponents has an easy schedule. If we continue to play the way we have done after that hideous start then we should keep the #2 seed.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Regarding my expectations now.

Last year, I said in a thread in this forum that I believe that this team has a 3 year plan (sic). Here's how that plan went:

11-12: #4 - #6 seed, 2nd round.

12-13: #2 - #4 seed, ECF.

13-14: At least #2 seed, Finals.

Those expectations have not changed. I really believe in this group of players

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Imo, it doesn't have to do with the last 4 games (although, I admit that the NYK blasting made me a bit more optimistic).

For me it has to do with the steady improvement of this team. It has to do with George Hill being a point guard that knows his role. It has to do with Lance Stephenson blossoming into a dependable starter. It has to do with Paul George blossoming into a full-fledged All-Star and still show that he has not hit his ceiling yet. It has to do with West fully recovering from his ACL. It has to do with Hibbert being an absolute terror on the defensive end despite being below par on the other end (I expect him to bounce back, though). It has to do with Mahinmi being a real back-up at the Center position. It has to do with Tyler's improved defense. It has to do with DJ finding his 3 point shot (and I still believe in Green). It has to do with OJ looking like another good second round pick. It has to do with this team being the #1 defensive team. I am disappointed at times if we let the opponent to score 90 points. I was a bit disappointed when Detroit scored over 80 yesterday and over 70 tonight. It has to do with this team being a top rebounding team (#1 in raw RPG, #1 in Rebounding Differential, #2 in Rebound Rate (ie. Total Rebound %). And it also has to do with Danny Granger returning only a bit after schedule.

In general, it has to do with clear signs that indicate that this team belong in the elite level. Personally, I never was too negative. Even when we started off poorly. I was disappointed but I was never in the "blow it up" camp. I believe in this team.

My expectations have not changed from last year. If anything, they have been a bit better than I expected

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

How often do you get to be disappointed that a team scored 70 points?
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    How often do you get to be disappointed that a team scored 70 points?
    Don't get me wrong. I did get slightly disappointed that Detroit scored over 70 tonight and over 80 yesterday but I LOVE that the team has spoiled me that much in this regard

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I did get slightly disappointed that Detroit scored over 70 tonight and over 80 yesterday but I LOVE that the team has spoiled me that much in this regard
    I was sad when they got over 60.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

I really want to make it to the finals, but I think we might be a year out. As long as we keep our core together. I see us going to the ECF this year and taking Miami to a game 7 and unfortunately losing in Miami.

I think we will advance past the finals, to face the Monstars, who we will beat in 7.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

That's "fine." The year's a failure if we get knocked out by any Eastern team but Miami. THERE.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

You guys better lower your expectations level just a bit. You do know this is the NBA right? We will be battling the other team and the officials come playoff time. Only way we come out of the East is if we play our BEST basketball during the playoffs. Not impossible but I'm not getting my hopes up either. This team is still a Jeckyl and Hyde team on the road at times.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Expectations check-in

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    You guys better lower your expectations level just a bit. You do know this is the NBA right? We will be battling the other team and the officials come playoff time. Only way we come out of the East is if we play our BEST basketball during the playoffs. Not impossible but I'm not getting my hopes up either. This team is still a Jeckyl and Hyde team on the road at times.
    I agree with you. I am very excited about this team too but I keep my expectations in check and keep an eye on NBA playoff history. Teams from small markets with no stars don't win the championship but about once every 30 to 40 years. I also believe the Pacers are made for regular season play where they excell but when the playoffs come and the intensity ratchets up several notches and the stars start playing heavier minutes, the Pacers do not do as well. My personal feeling is that they have a good chance to beat anyone but the Heat (I said a "chance" not that they were favorites). I don't think they have any chance against the Heat with LBJ and company. James' will to win is very strong and he is could enough to take his play up to about whatever level it takes to win. I hope for the best in all of their matchups and nothing would surprise me good or bad. I don't see Granger adding to this mix because they can't play much better than they already are. He does give them a "go to" shooter in the last three or four minutes of a game and that would be a big plus. I am concerned about how much he changes the chemistry this team has built over the season. Perhaps none, perhaps a lot in my opinion. ...

Banned
    Mood

Cool Re: Expectations check-in

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's "fine." The year's a failure if we get knocked out by any Eastern team but Miami. THERE.
    I don't really believe that. If they get to the ECF this year, that is a big move forward...... Miami may be too much for any team in the NBA..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    I think we will advance past the finals, to face the Monstars, who we will beat in 7.
    I hear a lot of you saying things like this. What makes you think the Pacers can beat the Heat in the playoffs at all? I certainly don't. They have three stars and we don't have any. Unless someone is hurt, I see the Heat beating the Pacers in five games...... ...

'Hey guys, I think you should adjust your expectations until they line up with mine. Ok thanks.'

LoL

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    You consistently spew that the other team gets all the calls. Stop with that ******** excuse.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    'Hey guys, I think you should adjust your expectations until they line up with mine. Ok thanks.'

LoL
    It's actually pretty comical when you think about it in black and white like that haha

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I hear a lot of you saying things like this. What makes you think the Pacers can beat the Heat in the playoffs at all? I certainly don't. They have three stars and we don't have any. Unless someone is hurt, I see the Heat beating the Pacers in five games...... ...
    Really.

You can have Bosh. I'll take George, West, Granger (if he returns to form), Hibbert, and Hill over him. Heck, Tyler usually beats him up.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

J7F

It's early yet but this is starting to feel a little bit like 93-94. Steam rolling teams defensively. The offense starting to click. Roll players contributing big when called upon.

If Danny can work his way back to 90% or better then in my mind the train keeps rollin and Pacers finish as the 2nd seed in the east. Beating the Heat is something of a long shot but not out of the question. Especially if either West or Hibbert can consistently punish them in the low post.

Following an upset like that up by beating the Thunder or Spurs in the Finals is very unlikely in my mind. Team doesn't have enough experience operating deep in the playoffs. Occaisonally "not knowing any better" can be a benefit but in the NBA playoff format that is rare.

I'm saying ECF 50-60%. Finals 10-15%. Ring <5%.