Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

  1. #1
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    was one year ago yesterday. UB had asked at some point for some video of the big fella from last year, so here are highlights of that game.....

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Man those Hornets jerseys are hideous

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man those Hornets jerseys are hideous
    I like the Mardi Gras jerseys. I like when teams have alternates that reflect the character of their city. Charlotte uses a checkered flag design on the side of their jerseys when there is a Nascar race in town. Miami uses all-white to honor the douchebags that go to South Beach clubs in all-white suits.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

    The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

    Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference.

    Anyone disagree with me
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.

  7. #5
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

    The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

    Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference
    He did try to put on some extra muscle in the offseason in an attempt to make it harder for him to be pushed off the block.

  8. #6
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,523

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

    The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

    Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference.

    Anyone disagree with me
    Not at all. It looks like he's lost a lot of his flexibility that he had last year. He used to have problems with this, maybe he relaxed and has been spending less time working on his flexibility .

  9. #7
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone disagree with me
    I think it's the wrist. I haven't seen him palm the ball and one hand jam this season. It's at 19 seconds.

  10. #8

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

    The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

    Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference.

    Anyone disagree with me
    It would be interesting to see how many centers have had their career high in points against Kaman. He's a defensive sieve, and really wasn't playing for anyone but himself and his next contract last year.

    Second, a lot of those 30 points were on putbacks and dunks. Putbacks are a result of your defender not boxing out, and has very little to do with your ability on the offensive end. Dunks depend on where you caught the ball. I see Roy catching the ball much deeper in the post than he does this year. Part of that is Kaman letting him get down there without a fight. The longer, more drawn out post plays were later in the game, and by that point Roy had his confidence at a high level.

    He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.

  11. #9
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    he looks a lot more active and less luggy
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  12. #10
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did try to put on some extra muscle in the offseason in an attempt to make it harder for him to be pushed off the block.
    Great idea! This strategy has worked great for Jermaine O'Neal in the past. Oh, wait...

  13. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's the wrist. I haven't seen him palm the ball and one hand jam this season. It's at 19 seconds.
    so his wrist is impacting his running, jumping, quickness, overall athletic ability?

  14. #12
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,864

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Let's not talk about this. Too painful.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,941

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.
    I think that he has definitely added some upper body muscle / weight. I don't think he has added lower body muscle / weight to go with it, though.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  17. #14
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,864

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Biggest thing I noticed, his shoulder fake to hook shot move is a lot quicker and more fluid in this video than it has been at any point this season. Really his shoulder fakes in general are just much better last season than they are now. He used that to create space for hooks and to get over someone for dunks. Now his shoulder fakes look a tad slow, too easy to defend.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. #15
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,522
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK I watched about 30 seconds and it is clear to me even in that length of time that Roy was running, jumping, moving much better last year than this. I think it is rather a large difference. He almost doesn't look like the same player. That IMO is why he is struggling to score this year.

    The question I have is why? has he gained weight, has he been injured. To me he looks a little thinner too last year.

    Just watched more of it, I think is is a remarkable difference.

    Anyone disagree with me
    I remember when they tried to have Smits put on extra weight, it was not pretty, probably the worst time of Rik's career.

    Larry Brown came in an immediately had him lose weight and he was much better after that. I think technique and balance are more important than bulk for posting up and holding position.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,864

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Lift also doesn't look good compared to last year. Maybe too much upper body weight with not enough leg work put in to counter it.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #17
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember when they tried to have Smits put on extra weight, it was not pretty, probably the worst time of Rik's career.

    Larry Brown came in an immediately had him lose weight and he was much better after that. I think technique and balance are more important than bulk for posting up and holding position.

    I have never been in favor of any player ever "bulking up" on purpose. As a player ages, they will naturally get a little thicker. especially as they go from a 21 year old to a 25 year old.

    I would hope the Pacers have shown a breakdown of tapes to Roy so he can see the difference.

    I suspected this, but having now seen this video I am shocked at how striking the difference is

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Biggest thing I noticed, his shoulder fake to hook shot move is a lot quicker and more fluid in this video than it has been at any point this season. Really his shoulder fakes in general are just much better last season than they are now. He used that to create space for hooks and to get over someone for dunks. Now his shoulder fakes look a tad slow, too easy to defend.
    I thought his hook shot had started to come around, and in fact he hit a nice one against the Knicks. Just too bad the big fella was in that foul trouble, it really felt like he was about to go off for 20-30 points.

  24. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,864

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought his hook shot had started to come around, and in fact he hit a nice one against the Knicks. Just too bad the big fella was in that foul trouble, it really felt like he was about to go off for 20-30 points.
    He's maybe been hitting it a little more, but he's still nto creating the same amount of space. If that makes sense.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. #20

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    He does look much heavier, I noticed it right away at the start of the season. This video is proof. he is much quicker player in that clip.

    I'm pretty sure the weight gain was intentional, but it was obviously a bad idea. I hope he rethinks that strategy and slims down to at least last years weight and works on fitness over bulk muscle mass in the off-season.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be interesting to see how many centers have had their career high in points against Kaman. He's a defensive sieve, and really wasn't playing for anyone but himself and his next contract last year.

    Second, a lot of those 30 points were on putbacks and dunks. Putbacks are a result of your defender not boxing out, and has very little to do with your ability on the offensive end. Dunks depend on where you caught the ball. I see Roy catching the ball much deeper in the post than he does this year. Part of that is Kaman letting him get down there without a fight. The longer, more drawn out post plays were later in the game, and by that point Roy had his confidence at a high level.

    He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.
    A lot of those baskets by Roy are created by his teammates on drives, so NOLA's wings sure weren't doing Chris any favors by making him rotate and leaving Hibbert alone on the offensive glass... Props to DC and PG. Roy does seem quicker and more decisive in the post in the video. Confidence of some bunnies helped, I'm sure. Roy's defense though, this year has been stellar. I've always wondered about his wrist this year.

  28. #22
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Seems like a lifetime ago.
    Grown Man Ball

  29. #23
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be interesting to see how many centers have had their career high in points against Kaman. He's a defensive sieve, and really wasn't playing for anyone but himself and his next contract last year.

    Second, a lot of those 30 points were on putbacks and dunks. Putbacks are a result of your defender not boxing out, and has very little to do with your ability on the offensive end. Dunks depend on where you caught the ball. I see Roy catching the ball much deeper in the post than he does this year. Part of that is Kaman letting him get down there without a fight. The longer, more drawn out post plays were later in the game, and by that point Roy had his confidence at a high level.

    He did see to be more "active" in that game from last year, so there could be a small injury, but I think it's got more to do with who Roy was playing than how Roy was playing.
    I don't understand your point. Are you actually disputing that Roy was a better offensive player last year, or just saying this game is a bad example?

    I've been thinking all year that Roy looked out-of-shape. He has talked about conditioning problems early in his career and I thought that's what we were seeing again. Hopefully it was intentional weight gain, if it was it should be all that much easier to get rid of.

  30. #24
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so his wrist is impacting his running, jumping, quickness, overall athletic ability?
    Well yeah, you're watching a video where Hibby is scoring and eager to get the ball and go to the basket.

    You don't think confidence impacts running, jumping, quickness and athleticism on offense?

  31. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Big Roy's Career High 30 point game......

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't think confidence impacts running, jumping, quickness and athleticism on offense?
    Not nearly as much as gaining 20 lbs

Similar Threads

  1. Lin's career-high 25 get Knicks by Nets (AP) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 10:50 PM
  2. Danny Granger CAREER HIGH 47 pts
    By Pacers4Life in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 08:11 PM
  3. Artest: Going to Houston 'high point of my career' [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
  4. Kapono nets career-high 27 in win (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 11:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •