Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

  1. #1
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    I was wondering how often Tyler gets to the free throw line in proportion to minutes played. So I looked it up.

    Coming in to tonight here are the NBA's Top 10 in free throws attempted, per 36 minutes played (minimum 40 games played)...

    1. James Harden 9.4
    2. Dwight Howard 9.3
    3. Kevin Durant 8.6
    4. TYLER HANSBROUGH 8.1
    5. Ramon Sessions 7.7
    6. Russell Westbrook 7.0
    7. Carmelo Anthony 6.9
    8. Kobe Bryant 6.8
    9. Dewayne Wade 6.7
    10. DeMarcus Cousins 6.6

    What is remarkable to me is the company he is in, and the fact that he is the only non-starter on this list.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    He's always been an elite visitor to the charity stripe.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,629

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    This is one of the reasons why I think that the Pacers will likely match anything that Hansbrough gets. This skill is underrated and important during the Playoffs.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    I am far more surprised to see Ramon Sessions there. He isn't a starter either. I should have expected it though since I have Ramon in my fantasy team.

    Anyway, about Hansbrough. It's not surprising. Personally, I knew it and it's one of the main reasons that I want us to retain him. I just hope that he isn't going to cost us a lot so we can afford him
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  8. #5
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    LeBron would have been 11th on that list, by the way.

  9. #6
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LeBron would have been 11th on that list, by the way.
    Tyler > LeBron

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member Randolph_HorseLips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    329

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is one of the reasons why I think that the Pacers will likely match anything that Hansbrough gets. This skill is underrated and important during the Playoffs.
    You know, I think I'm starting to see the light here. A LOT of people in my family love Tyler, and for a long while I thought they were mistaking "hard work" for value. But I'm really starting to like what he brings to this team. He's going to frustrate a LOT of teams down the stretch and come playoff time.

    I still don't think he is starter material. But as a 6th man who brings energy and gets opposing players in foul trouble, I think he is an asset.

  12. #8
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,249

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    It really is quite an underrated stat come playoff time. We will need to get people in foul trouble.

  13. #9

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler > LeBron
    Can't argue with the facts.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    I hope we can keep Tyler, unless we can get a clearly better replacement.

    He certainly has his faults, but he brings it every night, and is more effective than he get's credit for sometimes. He'll be a hard bench guy to replace with someone better, with the cap rules. I think his defense and rebounding (even his passing) have improved this season.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  16. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,951

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is one of the reasons why I think that the Pacers will likely match anything that Hansbrough gets. This skill is underrated and important during the Playoffs.
    I really wish that were possible but it could only be if the team is willing to pay the LT or plans to move Granger. I like Tyler and hope he comes cheap enough to keep him for the next 4 years but if I have to pick I'd rather keep Granger.

  17. #12

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    b-b-but I thought Lebron got all the calls?

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,629

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wish that were possible but it could only be if the team is willing to pay the LT or plans to move Granger. I like Tyler and hope he comes cheap enough to keep him for the next 4 years but if I have to pick I'd rather keep Granger.
    If I were a betting man....short of making the ECF ( or beyond ) and DW/KP/Bird convince the Simons to go into the LT......I'd bet that there is a greater chance that Hansbrough would be on this Team over Granger over the long-term.

    Not because of who is the better Player ( cuz Granger clearly is ) but because of stone-cold Financial/SalaryCap reasons for the 2014-2015 season ( when Lance and PG become FAs ).

    Believe me...I hope that Seth arranges a meeting with the Simons and convinces them why a GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/Lance/Mahinmi core ( with rookie and cheap role Players ) would make the most sense to win a Championship......but my guess is that the choice to pick between Hansbrough and Granger will be moot.....I think that Granger is going to be a casualty of keeping West, Lance and PG for the long-term.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  20. #14
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,827

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Not surprised. His style of play invites a lot of contact.

    I'm surprised Sessions made the list
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  21. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    I ran some of Tyler's numbers over in this thread on 2/14. I'll just repost it here, as I think it's worth another look.

    ----------------

    Did some quick math using the stats at basketballreference.com

    Tyler is 3rd in FTA/ FGA for players with 500 minutes or more. Here's the top 20 for reference:
    Reggie Evans 2.00
    Ricky Rubio 1.77
    Tyler Hansbrough 1.70
    Dahntay Jones 1.68
    Dwight Howard 1.52
    Kevin Love 1.36
    James Harden 1.30
    Ramon Sessions 1.23
    Ian Mahinmi 1.19
    Gerald Wallace 1.09
    Kyle Lowry 1.08
    Kris Humphries 1.00
    Omer Asik 1.00
    Derrick Favors 1.00
    Kevin Durant 0.99
    Alec Burks 0.98
    Tyson Chandler 0.98
    Eric Gordon 0.97
    Rodney Stuckey 0.96
    Carl Landry 0.95


    That makes him number 2 in percentage of Total Points from free throws:
    Ricky Rubio 0.40
    Tyler Hansbrough 0.38
    Dahntay Jones 0.37
    Ramon Sessions 0.33
    James Harden 0.33
    Reggie Evans 0.33
    Kevin Love 0.30
    Ian Mahinmi 0.29
    Kevin Durant 0.29
    Carl Landry 0.28
    Kris Humphries 0.28
    Dwight Howard 0.27
    Kyle Lowry 0.27
    Eric Gordon 0.27
    Jimmy Butler 0.26
    Marc Gasol 0.26
    Nene Hilario 0.26
    Gordon Hayward 0.26
    Tiago Splitter 0.26
    Rodney Stuckey 0.26


    And number one in FTA/ Assist:
    Tyler Hansbrough 8.67
    Ian Mahinmi 8.33
    DeAndre Jordan 8.17
    JaVale McGee 8.14
    Derrick Williams 7.14
    Dwight Howard 5.81
    Brook Lopez 5.64
    Nikola Pekovic 5.40
    Andre Drummond 5.25
    Kris Humphries 5.00
    Carl Landry 4.75
    Reggie Evans 4.75
    Greg Smith 4.67
    Tyson Chandler 4.60
    Omer Asik 4.45
    Derrick Favors 4.07
    Marreese Speights 3.83
    Kenneth Faried 3.83
    Kevin Love 3.46
    Anthony Davis 3.33

    You'll note that Ian and Tyler are both very good at this "skill". Our bigs off the bench love to take it to the rack regardless of what might be in the way.

    I wish I could get some advanced stats like FTA/ touches in the post. Actually, I'd really dig number of times blocked/ stolen/ turned over, as Tyler and Ian are not the most graceful of creatures.

    With as much time as they spend on the line, I wonder if we get the starters an extra timeout's worth of rest a game. Anyways, I could crunch numbers like this all day... but apparently my work doesn't share my dedication to Pacers stats. Back to work!

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And number one in FTA/ Assist
    I didn't even know that such a stat exists
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  25. #17
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,948

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    What is FTA/Assist supposed to measure ?
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

  26. #18
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is FTA/Assist supposed to measure ?
    Free throw attempt (FTA) per Assist if it's going by the common naming formula.

    PS: The amount of assists that the player that takes the FTs has. Not how many teams a player is fouled on an assisted play. It's not surprising that bigs dominate this category.

    PS II: That said, I didn't even know that this stat exist. So, I could be wrong.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  27. #19
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,948

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Free throw attempt (FTA) per Assist if it's going by the common naming formula.

    PS: The amount of assists that the player that takes the FTs has. Not how many teams a player is fouled on an assisted play. It's not surprising that bigs dominate this category.

    PS II: That said, I didn't even know that this stat exist. So, I could be wrong.
    Well I know what it is, but I don't know what the significance is...
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

  28. #20
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I know what it is, but I don't know what the significance is...
    Ow. Reading comprehension fail on my part

    Well, I guess that it's suppossed to measure how often a player elects to drive to the hoop strong or pass the ball.

    I will agree with Maragin that FTA / touches in the post are a stat that we should get. I don't know where either, though
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  29. #21
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,256

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    TBH it's this year he goes to the line that often. It's like he had to play for 3 years first and then start getting the calls he deserved to get.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  30. #22
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    b-b-but I thought Lebron got all the calls?
    Playing 48mpg really dilutes stats like this.

    Although Durant is the most babied star in the league, hands down. I love the guys game...but he gets way too many calls.

    Go Tyler!

  31. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,951

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I were a betting man....short of making the ECF ( or beyond ) and DW/KP/Bird convince the Simons to go into the LT......I'd bet that there is a greater chance that Hansbrough would be on this Team over Granger over the long-term.

    Not because of who is the better Player ( cuz Granger clearly is ) but because of stone-cold Financial/SalaryCap reasons for the 2014-2015 season ( when Lance and PG become FAs ).

    Believe me...I hope that Seth arranges a meeting with the Simons and convinces them why a GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/Lance/Mahinmi core ( with rookie and cheap role Players ) would make the most sense to win a Championship......but my guess is that the choice to pick between Hansbrough and Granger will be moot.....I think that Granger is going to be a casualty of keeping West, Lance and PG for the long-term.
    I hope you're wrong but you're right in that it either comes down to keeping West, Granger, and PG or letting 1 go to keep the bench. I doubt if we can even keep Lance if we keep Granger. I hate these hard choices but if we have to give up Granger or give up Lance, and Hans then I'd much rather keep Granger. We'll see after this summer where the team is going once West and Hans are put to rest. If West stays for under 12 mil and Hans is under 3 or gone then I think they'll be heading toward keeping Granger. If West signs for more or they keep Tyler for more then 3 mil, then I think Danny will be gone.

  32. #24
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TBH it's this year he goes to the line that often. It's like he had to play for 3 years first and then start getting the calls he deserved to get.
    He was 20th last year, so not really. 20th is still really good. Also, Fez was 1st in the NBA last year.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  34. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Hansbrough at the Free Throw Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's always been an elite visitor to the charity stripe.
    I explicitly stated this during the pre-draft scouting and even post-draft evals. The only thing I was wrong about was that he'd get the respect in the NBA to still get to the line, which he was able to do even in his rookie year.

    He has no go-to scoring move that is reliable, doesn't have great hops, doesn't have good footwork, but his unorthodox style and constant motor just keep getting people smacking him. Maybe his physical play pulls it out of guys even more. Seems to be true more and more often.

Similar Threads

  1. Odd Line Of The Night Belongs To Hansbrough
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 08:00 PM
  3. Free Throw Issues
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
  4. Strugglesville: LeBron looking lame at free-throw line (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
  5. LMAO. Shaq 9 of 20 from the free throw line.
    By Stryder in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •