Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers have been....by far....the dominant topic of sports radio this week. Really even over IU.
    Which has been awesome, but a good chunk of that airtime has been spent discussing attendance. But, if the attendance topic gets to be the segue into talking about how awesome the team is, I'm all for it. I just have had enough of hearing the locals belittled over not going to games. If they're going to go it will be on their own accord, not because someone is making them feel bad about not going.

Larry built it, and slowly but surely the fans are coming...

wait... I mean... nvm
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    You did great, except for the Samsung comment.
    LOL I was referring more to the imagery of four family members crowded around a 32" TV in a basement. Samsung makes nice TVs. Except for the one this guy owns, THAT one is a POS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

RWB

Sports Logo Sports Logo

See Seth that is what gets me... Start time is very important. Maybe you live so close you just walk on down to BLF 10 minutes before the game starts and you're good to go. If the Pacers played in Terre Haute at Hulman Center I'd be there every damn game. Time and distance is a factor even if we disagree. If the Pacers can't get enough fans in Indy then they need to bring them in from Greencastle, Rockville, Terre Haute, Anderson and any other reasonable distance town. And it is only reasonable if you can make it close to the start.

Edit: I also know it works both ways. A later start time could be inconvenient for others who are attending games now and would not go if the game was later.
    Exactly....move the start time later and then you will have the people closer complaining it ends too late to bring their kids...some already do that....you just cant please everyone when it comes to something like that...no matter what you do...and youre gonna get more fans from nearby than you are a couple hours away....that sucks for you and i realize that....but what can you do? at least some of the games, albeit a few, have later start times due to a number of different reasons...not the least of which is national tv...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And in almost any working class city in the country you'll find the same thing. There will be cultural areas that aren't attended by 90% of the non-urban population. Acting like the Indy suburbs are filled with the US's only bunch of chain mongers is both silly and begs the question of how the chains could exist if only Hoosiers go there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Fair point, but at the same time you've traveled enough to know that the per capita density of chains varies from city to city. Minneapolis 100% does NOT look anything like Indianapolis. Chicago doesn't look like Indianapolis. Phoenix does not look like Indianapolis because even though it has chains they de-emphasize them with city landscaping that emphasizes maintaining the desert footprint.

In Houston no one goes to Taco Bell because why would you bother, there are hundreds of other far more interesting Tex Mex options.

And I don't mean you never eat at one, I just mean that the ratio of "unique vs chain nights out" is lower in a lot of other places. Indianapolis really lacks an identity. There's not a specific cultural heritage that people associate with Indy. To me Indy has an identity on par with Columbus OH.

And part of the whole discussion comes back to what Cowherd was specifically saying - maybe the NBA is a product best served in places of greater cultural diversity rather than a place disinterested in "cultural areas of urban population". He's saying the potential fanbase of Indianapolis isn't as good for an NBA team as these other cities that can pull from a larger segment of people willing to explore those areas.

A lot of what I hear in this thread as defense actually backs his point, as do attendance and viewership figures. There was a reason the NBA gave up on Vancouver, and certainly it's a large city with an interesting population. It just wasn't an NBA city.

The confusion here is that it seemed that with the ABA Indy WAS an ABA/NBA city, but now it doesn't seem to be that kind of town.

You know plenty of other cities/states don't make as big a deal about their state fair as Indiana does. The idea of a state fair doesn't play as well in a lot of other states, but in Indiana its a pretty big deal. There's a cultural difference. Seattle or Houston just don't support a state fair event. In fact Houston, San Antonio and Dallas (I think) all have their major, 2 week RODEO instead. It's a bit similar, not not really the same thing. Houston rodeo is rodeo. You have stuff setup outside, like small rides and such, but the primary draw is inside watching the actual rodeo. They march the cattle and such to the dome (or Reliant now I guess) right down the highways or major roads. That's not part of Indiana's culture. It's a different place with people who grew up thinking differently.

The bigger cities have the advantage of being able to support multiple major cultural basis at the same time, but in towns the size of Indy you are going to have 1-2 flavors of interest at most and everything else will struggle to gain traction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Oh yeah I like tv. Got a 50" and 42" Samsung, 65" Panasonic, and two 37" Vizios for the bedrooms. For the best entertainment dollar I've got a 120" screen using an Epson projector in the basement/theater room and I prefer to go to games when I can make it on time.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

RWB - but don't IU games have the same travel and start time issues? Most of the affluent Indy areas are north of the city, and at best those people maybe work downtown. So how are they making the drive down for an IU game on time?

We know that not all of an IU game is filled with people from Bloomington. Plenty of Indy people drive down for games. They do so because they have greater passion for that product and are more willing to adjust schedules and put up with the inconvenience.

Every guy here knows that concept - watch the hoops a guy will jump through for the super hot girl vs the effort they'll put in for someone they just aren't into. Suddenly they'll say "yeah, but I just don't feel like going out on TUE night, and dinner costs so much, etc", but when it comes to the girl they are passionate about they ignore all those factors and never bring them up.

So the point is that the excuses aren't the real problem, it's the lack of connection that sparks that passion. Get that passion and they won't mention parking, start times, or ticket prices. Those are just excuses covering the real problem that comes back to the thread title - I'm just not that into you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh yeah I like tv. Got a 50" and 42" Samsung, 65" Panasonic, and two 37" Vizios for the bedrooms. For the best entertainment dollar I've got a 120" screen using an Epson projector in the basement/theater room and I prefer to go to games when I can make it on time.
    Bingo.....ty....every time I hear someone say its better to sit at home and watch the game versus being at the actual game itself I just want to

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The bigger cities have the advantage of being able to support multiple major cultural basis at the same time, but in towns the size of Indy you are going to have 1-2 flavors of interest at most and everything else will struggle to gain traction.
    If we're going this far into the conversation I know you and Bill are very aware of this. Indiana can't even keep the best and brightest. Please folks understand I'm not putting down Hoosiers (born and raised here) but there is a certain brain drain from the state where students with top degrees move on out when they graduate.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I live outside 465 and you are correct I would not get out of my car at Kountry Kitchen - at least not again, the food was horrible.
    Is that the Kountry Kitchen that has Chicken and Waffles that is next to some parking structure and in a "not so great" location?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If we're going this far into the conversation I know you and Bill are very aware of this. Indiana can't even keep the best and brightest. Please folks understand I'm not putting down Hoosiers (born and raised here) but there is a certain brain drain from the state where students with top degrees move on out when they graduate.
    Yup I got three degrees in Indiana: AS from Ivy Tech, Bachelor's and Master's from IU. I now work in Silicon Valley.... though I wish I could bring the Pacers and Fieldhouse out here with me

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Bingo.....ty....every time I hear someone say its better to sit at home and watch the game versus being at the actual game itself I just want to
    Heck I didn't even mention the new 50-foot display in the Fieldhouse during my rant, which I imagine cancels out that whole argument in terms of visibility

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Let me tell y'all something. We win the next 5 before that Bulls game...the Fieldhouse will be full and it will be rocking and it won't be mostly Bulls fans and y'all can take it to the damned bank.
    8pm tip, national TV. I promise you it will be 90% P's fans and it will be full.
    I want to believe, you but history says you'll be wrong. Those Chicago fans have already bought the tickets.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    It's not the view. It's the comfort. Want a beer? Don't have to stand in line. Just go to the fridge and grab one. (Saves you $6.50 in the process) Want food? Just go back into the kitchen.

And then you figure out, hey I can pause this thing while I get my rear-end off the couch. Then you figure out that that record button allows you to wait 30-40mins after tip off, and you get to skip all of the timeouts and half time!

Then you realize that you save 3hrs worth of driving time, and $30 worth of gas. Instead of getting home at 1130 and staying up for another hour or so, you're already at home.

Does the atmosphere makeup for all those advantages? Not for some people. And not for me, to be honest. I've said it before, but the only reason I go to games is to give them my money.

I don't think the NBA can compete with the luxuries of your own home. Me and my GF are still planning on getting season tix next year, but to be honest, I doubt I make it to 30 games. Getting to Indy from Muncie and then home again just shoots the entire night. If I stay at home, I get all the luxuries that come with it, plus I have 3-4extra hours to do something other than drive.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's not the view. It's the comfort. Want a beer? Don't have to stand in line. Just go to the fridge and grab one. (Saves you $6.50 in the process) Want food? Just go back into the kitchen.

And then you figure out, hey I can pause this thing while I get my rear-end off the couch. Then you figure out that that record button allows you to wait 30-40mins after tip off, and you get to skip all of the timeouts and half time!

Then you realize that you save 3hrs worth of driving time, and $30 worth of gas. Instead of getting home at 1130 and staying up for another hour or so, you're already at home.

Does the atmosphere makeup for all those advantages? Not for some people. And not for me, to be honest. I've said it before, but the only reason I go to games is to give them my money.

I don't think the NBA can compete with the luxuries of your own home. Me and my GF are still planning on getting season tix next year, but to be honest, I doubt I make it to 30 games. Getting to Indy from Muncie and then home again just shoots the entire night. If I stay at home, I get all the luxuries that come with it, plus I have 3-4extra hours to do something other than drive.
    This is a great argument against getting SEASON tickets, but IMO it is not an argument against going to a handful of games each year. Not sure where the "3-4 extra hours" come from either unless you live in Lafayette or Bloomington....

I'm from Muncie. It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to BLF. Multiply it by two and you're right at 3 1/2 hrs. I drive 80 pretty much the whole way, and I'm not gonna go any faster.

Sports Logo

Seriously....Just....Win.
    To be clear....win what? Win the ECF? Win a Championship? Win games against the Super Teams that fans only pay attention to?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I'm from Muncie. It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to BLF. Multiply it by two and you're right at 3 1/2 hrs. I drive 80 pretty much the whole way, and I'm not gonna go any faster.
    I don't think people living in Muncie are what's causing the attendance problems...

Been there done that actually after the New York game. Got pulled over by State one mile east of Rockville going 67 in a 55. Really nice guy that let me off with a warning. Very thankful or that game experience would have been rather expensive.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    Yup I got three degrees in Indiana: AS from Ivy Tech, Bachelor's and Master's from IU. I now work in Silicon Valley.... though I wish I could bring the Pacers and Fieldhouse out here with me
    Yeah....no kidding. Me too.

But question to you....since it relates to me as well. Since both of us live outside of Indiana and we see how much support the Warriors have ( even before the Mark Jackson years ).......how do you view the level of fan support that the local Indy fanbase gives to the Pacers?

As an out of State fan.....reading responses like this Fan letter and the overall lack of general support for the Team.....I find it hard to stray from my "Indiana just doesn't seem to deserve nor want a NBA Professional Team" comment.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah....no kidding. Me too.
    We need to meet up next year when we both go see the Pacers at Oracle... what's your degree in? CS? I'm a UI designer...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol...hmmmm...obviously a Ball State or IU grad....We wouldnt let you into Purdue with that sort of math And yet you cant wait to get your season tickets, right?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

I don't think the NBA can compete with the luxuries of your own home.
    The problem is where does this end? It doesn't stop at the NBA. Why go to football games? Why go to college sports games? Why go to a movie theater? Why go to bars?

You can have all that stuff at home, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD do everything at home. I'll say again, I'm not going after anybody personally. "In this economy?" Is one of the great tricks of our generation. No one ever has money, but they have all the neatest gadgets, buy their kids(or themselves) all the newest video games, and have great big beautiful TVs to watch because they don't have any money to ever go out.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    RWB - but don't IU games have the same travel and start time issues? Most of the affluent Indy areas are north of the city, and at best those people maybe work downtown. So how are they making the drive down for an IU game on time?

We know that not all of an IU game is filled with people from Bloomington. Plenty of Indy people drive down for games. They do so because they have greater passion for that product and are more willing to adjust schedules and put up with the inconvenience.
    Seth, I don't have an answer to get out of this box. For those around Indy you're right and I agree. Might fight ad nauseam has been additional opportunities for people out of town (Sat/Sun) or the Friday later PM game. We've purchased 14 tickets/games (times 2) for the season and blew off 4 already because work and play didn't match up. I really feel sorry for BillS and the investment he has made because there is no way I would spend that kind of cash and watch it blow away.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    We need to meet up next year when we both go see the Pacers at Oracle... what's your degree in? CS? I'm a UI designer...
    Sorry...I meant that I live in the Bay Area too....not that I lived in Indy and got my degree in UI.

But yes.....next year....we will have to meet up at a game. Hopefully Seth, Gnome and El Pacero will come out next season to another game.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Sorry...I meant that I live in the Bay Area too....not that I lived in Indy and got my degree in UI.

But yes.....next year....we will have to meet up at a game. Hopefully Seth, Gnome and El Pacero will come out next season to another game.
    so that WAS El Pacero I saw trying to sneak down to the front rows earlier this year... Lol