Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 434

Thread: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

  1. #126
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but you sit in the lower level don't you? I certainly agree with you that you pick up on things in the lower level that you wouldn't at home. The problem though is that you pick up on less things in the balcony than you do at home on your shinny HDTV.
    That's not true.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  3. #127
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I think sitting high is actually best for seeing stuff unfold especially away from the ball. You can see more of the court.

    Courtside is great but is more ooohs and aaahs. And to see how players interact on the bench.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #128
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think sitting high is actually best for seeing stuff unfold especially away from the ball. You can see more of the court.

    Courtside is great but is more ooohs and aaahs. And to see how players interact on the bench.
    Best seat in the house for my money is always row 1 in the 200 seats. Never an obstructed view.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  6. #129
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think sitting high is actually best for seeing stuff unfold especially away from the ball. You can see more of the court.

    Courtside is great but is more ooohs and aaahs. And to see how players interact on the bench.
    I can see both sides of that argument. I had season tickets in the balcony for 3 years and you definitely see things you can't see unless you're up top, like how a play develops and what every single player is doing. On the other hand, the last home game against Detroit we had seats in row 7 (basically eye level with the players) and it was so awesome to see Lance's intensity and his facial expressions on the defensive end of the floor. I think it's just going to be different based on each individual consumer.
    Grown Man Ball

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  8. #130
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best seat in the house for my money is always row 1 in the 200 seats. Never an obstructed view.
    You also have a nice ledge to put your drinks on instead of putting them on the floor (risking them getting kicked) or in the cupholders on the back of the seats (risking someone's hair getting in your beer). Row 1 up in the balcony is a damn fine experience.
    Grown Man Ball

  9. #131
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You also have a nice ledge to put your drinks on instead of putting them on the floor (risking them getting kicked) or in the cupholders on the back of the seats (risking someone's hair getting in your beer). Row 1 up in the balcony is a damn fine experience.
    Had my first season tickets (paid for by myself anyway) our third championship year, center section 201 row 1. Since then I always get that seat, even if I'm paying a little extra.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-22-2013 at 02:39 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #132
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What spam posting?

    A poster wrote an article regarding the Pacers and fan attendance in a site. Being a PD poster (even if he's not a big time regular) he let us know. He did the right thing, imo.

    Then a writer in that site posted a response to his article. Again, he let us know. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
    They usually are very, very careful about posts that are obviously designed to direct traffic to another blog, forum, site, etc. Usually only legit news sites etc. Now what you have here is a response to a post/article on another site....thats again directing traffic to another site. That has typically been deemed to be spam on here. And most often times deleted. Theres no credibility or accountability. It could be the same guy for all we know and just a ruse to direct traffic. Especially considering the controversial nature. As mentioned, I would be curious to see what Able thinks, because hes usually the most sensitive about such. We have basically been discussing the alleged opinion of someone that we dont even know truly exists or can be in any way held acountable for such. Spam in more ways than one.

  11. #133
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They do not pay 5M! They pay 1/7 of the TV revenue provided to them by the league. So, they get to keep over 85% of the TV revenues. Not 100%, but certainly not chump change, either.


    Yes it is. 1/7th of their TV national TV money is about $5 million on average of the current NBA national TV contract.

    That never ends. The former owners of the Spirits are getting about $20 million into perpetuity just for being bought out in 1976.

    That franchise, which will never play another game, is worth about $200 million today, or its pulling $50 million in value from each of the Spurs, Nuggets, Pacers, and Nets.

    -- Gordon Growth math for any other valuation dorks out there: ($20 million * 1.03) / (13% - 3%) is slightly over $200 million.

    I may have skipped this yet, but local television money is going to be based on Ratings. Does anybody think there are that many people sitting at home, enjoying every game, but not helping raise awareness of the Pacers? I don't. I think the local TV ratings are still pretty bad and it isn't really accurate to say that is only because they aren't on Channel 4 anymore. Too many houses have access to FSNI for that to be legit.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  13. #134
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think sitting high is actually best for seeing stuff unfold especially away from the ball. You can see more of the court.

    Courtside is great but is more ooohs and aaahs. And to see how players interact on the bench.
    I like courtside once or so per year to be reminded just how big and fast the players are.

    But I go to watch the game, and I'm far less interested in facial expressions and nonsense like that.

    To me, seeing the entire floor is key.

    But I also sit in the corner of the balcony, for the same reason.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  14. #135
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have basically been discussing the alleged opinion of someone that we dont even know truly exists or can be in any way held acountable for such.
    And that's different than an internet messsage board how exactly?

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  16. #136
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a couple thoughts, this guy basically affirms the stereotype that Indianapolis people are homebodies. They would rather stay at home and be a couch potato than actually go out and see any form of live entertainment unless its free, or lots of alcohol is involved. Its the same reason why the Indianapolis Sympony had so much trouble this year raising money to even exist. People would rather stay at home than actually sponge up any sort of real culture.

    I can't stand his last set of paragraphs where he basically calls the team irrelevant.
    Yeah, but he ALSO claims that Hoosiers love to go to games at Mackey, Hinkle and Assembly Hall. I've seen Mackey when they weren't winning so that's total BS, and ditto with Butler till their amazing back to back runs.

    And if he can show me how he can get similar seats to an IU game for cheaper than the Pacers, and with a shorter drive from anywhere in the metro Indy area or above I-70 at all, and with cheaper parking and with food cheaper, then I'll buy that whole "Pacers cost too much". Going to a IU game right now takes more gas, more time and costs more for a ticket than going to a Pacers game. But this *$(*% is pushing this "that's worth it" angle.



    I can't wait till this team moves to another city away from a**-clowns like this. Maybe Luck can get hurt and have the Colts tank for a few seasons till they have to move due to low attendance (ie, see the 90's including the winning teams) as well. Then he can enjoy his IU games, his HS games and the county fair.




    Plus these arguments NEVER EXPLAIN THE SELL OUTS. The Pacers have sold out for an entire season before just as the Colts finally started doing just before Lucas opened. Every single case he makes fails to explain those situations because the points he makes were applicable then too. He doesn't even explain the CURRENT SELL OUTS for the Miami games or the Reggie-TNT Knicks game. But there is an explanation that does - I'm an ignorant fan who only likes mega-stars or lives in the dream past when we all supported Reggie except for that decade where I didn't actually go watch a Reggie Miller team play even if they were headed to the ECF. That's the hard truth because it explains all the attendance patterns for both the Colts and Pacers.




    I'm at the point that I'll pay MORE for my ticket if it allows us to tell this jerky that he's not allowed in BILF when the team is headed to the Finals...just John Green his a**.

    This isn't even about "loyalty", it's about not having the sense to know the best bargain in all of national sports right now, apart from maybe Spring Training baseball (which is warm, cheap and fun).

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  18. #137
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,824
    Mood

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers should just respond only in a positive way, on TV and in the paper. Not begging, not whining, just excited and thankful. Something like

    "There has been much media discussion about Pacers fan support and the resurgence of our young and talented team as they drive toward another playoff run. We are proud to report that our attendance this year is up XX%. We thank all of our fans and we invite all of you to come and experience Pacers basketball as we look to make this a legendary season!"
    Yea, Try and tell Well's (Debbie Downer) that!!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  19. #138
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that's different than an internet messsage board how exactly?
    Lol...well typically we are at least discussing someones actual post and not hearsay.....this is hearsay in message board world i guess....and usually for such to happen that hearsay must come from a ccredible source....its one thing if you post it...we know who u are...figuratively speaking anyway...but in this case....we have someone that doesnt post here much directing traffic elsewhere saying he posted a letter and got this letter/post in response.....thats typically not the way it works...

  20. #139
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,754

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not true.

    To each their own. I think that the bottom half of the balcony has a pretty good view, but once you start getting above row 20 it sucks. The view on an HD TV is superior to that of row 25 of the Fieldhouse, IMHO.

  21. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,317

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't wait till this team moves to another city away from a**-clowns like this. Maybe Luck can get hurt and have the Colts tank for a few seasons till they have to move due to low attendance (ie, see the 90's including the winning teams) as well. Then he can enjoy his IU games, his HS games and the county fair.
    I know you like to vent at times, but damn don't be putting any reverse type voodoo on Andrew Luck. I have enough love and room in my heart for both Indy teams.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  23. #141
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    My secret dream is for Paul George and Andrew Luck to become best buds and start a buddy cop show.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  25. #142
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not true.
    I agree. It's not as bad as an NFL game where the TV coverage is just worthless for seeing the unfolding of plays (oh look, random WR was just "left" wide open according to the TV), but I'm a guy that goes to games and then comes home to watch those same moments on DVR. What I often find is that the TV coverage missed it.

    For example, at the game we saw Vogel tear off after Smith as soon as it was happening and then saw the Knicks assistant coming down for a piece of Frank. The TV team is trying to keep up with this and often loses focus of one thing while trying to chase another "story". This is very true of plays as well.



    Now I actually prefer sitting low for Pacers games because of the speed and power and a sense of connection I guess. But I'll also sit up high and have done so for years. I was pretty far up for that epic game 4 vs Boston with Chuck and Reggie and there is no way, even in HD, that watching that on TV would have been remotely the same. Heck, for the Lakers Finals when I didn't have a ticket for game 4 (just 3/5) a buddy and I went and watched on TV at the Fieldhouse just to be a part of the atmosphere, and it was really popular, tons of people came down. So even when we were "watching on TV" we still did it as close to being in the game as we could. This wasn't a few nut jobs, this was tons of people at a WTHR event.




    By the way, Cowherd was ripping on Indy for another reason that makes all this moot - Pacers are BOTTOM FIVE IN TV VIEWERSHIP TOO.
    So these people saying "I prefer to watch at home" are also lying about that. They don't care about the team AT ALL. That's why it seems weird about attendance. If they were watching on TV then they'd get the same effect we all do which is that itch, that bug, that says "man, I gotta get down there in person".

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  27. #143

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Pacers fans are no different than any other team in any other place.

    You win. People will pay to see you. It takes a little time, but they'll come.

    Winning brings fans. You have the diehards, that would be there regardless, but if you win, the casual fan will go to see the Pacers play.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  29. #144
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, Cowherd was ripping on Indy for another reason that makes all this moot - Pacers are BOTTOM FIVE IN TV VIEWERSHIP TOO. So these people saying "I prefer to watch at home" are also lying about that. They don't care about the team AT ALL. That's why it seems weird about attendance. If they were watching on TV then they'd get the same effect we all do which is that itch, that bug, that says "man, I gotta get down there in person".
    I question that we are bottom 5. Is he going by viewers or by rating. A 2.4 rating in NYC is 10 times more viewers than a 2.4 rating in Indy. Viewers? sure we are probably close to bottom 5. Ratings? I doubt it, but I don't have the stats to prove one way or the other

  30. #145
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know you like to vent at times, but damn don't be putting any reverse type voodoo on Andrew Luck. I have enough love and room in my heart for both Indy teams.
    I know. It's not fair to the real fans of both teams nor those great players. I'd never really wish them misfortune.

    But it's like having a friend that's way better than their g/f or b/f and yet that person completely ignores them and treats them like garbage. You want to see them move on to someone that will appreciate them because you know they are out there.



    The Pacers aren't the only "non-thug" team out there. The NBA has had a really great set of draft classes the last 6-7 years with terrific stars like Irving, Durant, Westbrook and Love (ignoring his stomp thing which no local even knows about). The face of the NBA is pretty clean cut when you see guys like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Chris Paul, Griffin, Durant, Westbrook and Rose out in front. Apart from some of the stars being floppers on the court or whiny, few of the elites come off as "ghetto" or "thug" in any way. The NBA norm is college geek chic right now.

    And as Cowherd points out the Colts have had more problems than the Pacers in total. When Mike Doss literally did the EXACT SAME THING as Jackson did at Rio (fire gun off into the air in club parking lot) NO ONE CARED. It barely made news and no one was upset with the Colts or even Mike Doss. Why? Because they wear helmets and are more numbers on jerseys than faces of some "urban" culture that scares people.

    That's where the whole "we aren't racist" cries start to ring hollow. I have to wonder why Al Unser Jr can go total DUI, have multiple drunken episodes in his life, and leave his g/f on the side of the highway after a drunken fight but the city responds with "meh" or "I hope he gets the help he needs". We didn't have massive rants of outrage to the local media about how these irresponsible jerks have to be reigned in.

    But if Lance Stephenson had the exact same sequence of events unfold as Little Al did? Oh brother. The chants of "see, we told you they were all gangsters and thugs" would ring out. And there is one fundamental difference between those 2 guys. It's not about some active level, it's about that gut instinct in how you react to two different people wearing or doing the exact same thing.

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  32. #146
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers fans are no different than any other team in any other place.

    You win. People will pay to see you. It takes a little time, but they'll come.

    Winning brings fans. You have the diehards, that would be there regardless, but if you win, the casual fan will go to see the Pacers play.
    Agreed but if the casuals have the mentality that "the Pacers are just LeBron's *****es" then it's all moot and quite disappointing
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  33. #147
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    OKC (by a wide margin) leads local TV ratings, followed by Heat and Spurs. I don't have Pacers figures.

    http://newsok.com/media-notebook-oklahoma-city-thunder-ranks-no.-1-in-nba-in-local-tv-ratings/article/3742844

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  35. #148
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but he ALSO claims that Hoosiers love to go to games at Mackey, Hinkle and Assembly Hall. I've seen Mackey when they weren't winning so that's total BS, and ditto with Butler till their amazing back to back runs.

    And if he can show me how he can get similar seats to an IU game for cheaper than the Pacers, and with a shorter drive from anywhere in the metro Indy area or above I-70 at all, and with cheaper parking and with food cheaper, then I'll buy that whole "Pacers cost too much". Going to a IU game right now takes more gas, more time and costs more for a ticket than going to a Pacers game. But this *$(*% is pushing this "that's worth it" angle.



    I can't wait till this team moves to another city away from a**-clowns like this. Maybe Luck can get hurt and have the Colts tank for a few seasons till they have to move due to low attendance (ie, see the 90's including the winning teams) as well. Then he can enjoy his IU games, his HS games and the county fair.




    Plus these arguments NEVER EXPLAIN THE SELL OUTS. The Pacers have sold out for an entire season before just as the Colts finally started doing just before Lucas opened. Every single case he makes fails to explain those situations because the points he makes were applicable then too. He doesn't even explain the CURRENT SELL OUTS for the Miami games or the Reggie-TNT Knicks game. But there is an explanation that does - I'm an ignorant fan who only likes mega-stars or lives in the dream past when we all supported Reggie except for that decade where I didn't actually go watch a Reggie Miller team play even if they were headed to the ECF. That's the hard truth because it explains all the attendance patterns for both the Colts and Pacers.




    I'm at the point that I'll pay MORE for my ticket if it allows us to tell this jerky that he's not allowed in BILF when the team is headed to the Finals...just John Green his a**.

    This isn't even about "loyalty", it's about not having the sense to know the best bargain in all of national sports right now, apart from maybe Spring Training baseball (which is warm, cheap and fun).
    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. It's not as bad as an NFL game where the TV coverage is just worthless for seeing the unfolding of plays (oh look, random WR was just "left" wide open according to the TV), but I'm a guy that goes to games and then comes home to watch those same moments on DVR. What I often find is that the TV coverage missed it.

    For example, at the game we saw Vogel tear off after Smith as soon as it was happening and then saw the Knicks assistant coming down for a piece of Frank. The TV team is trying to keep up with this and often loses focus of one thing while trying to chase another "story". This is very true of plays as well.



    Now I actually prefer sitting low for Pacers games because of the speed and power and a sense of connection I guess. But I'll also sit up high and have done so for years. I was pretty far up for that epic game 4 vs Boston with Chuck and Reggie and there is no way, even in HD, that watching that on TV would have been remotely the same. Heck, for the Lakers Finals when I didn't have a ticket for game 4 (just 3/5) a buddy and I went and watched on TV at the Fieldhouse just to be a part of the atmosphere, and it was really popular, tons of people came down. So even when we were "watching on TV" we still did it as close to being in the game as we could. This wasn't a few nut jobs, this was tons of people at a WTHR event.




    By the way, Cowherd was ripping on Indy for another reason that makes all this moot - Pacers are BOTTOM FIVE IN TV VIEWERSHIP TOO.
    So these people saying "I prefer to watch at home" are also lying about that. They don't care about the team AT ALL. That's why it seems weird about attendance. If they were watching on TV then they'd get the same effect we all do which is that itch, that bug, that says "man, I gotta get down there in person".
    I wish i could thanks these posts a thousand times. Heres the real problem I have with all of this. The casual observer isnt on a pacers message board. The people really in question arent here answering to this. If youre on this message board you take this team seriously....just no two ways about it. And if youre on here as a serious follower telling me youre not going to games and buying jerseys and the like....that the only thing youre gonna do is watch the game on TV...then yea...i gotta problem with that...with one exception...if u simply cant afford it....which is a bit hard to fathom because u can damn near go for free these days...even tickets are given away on here from time to time...but if someone says i simply do not have the money to go and take my kids...then so be it....not that its too expensive....but i dont have the money because i struggle to put food on the table....then fine....but see...i dont think thats whats happening here...cause those people would usually just stay quiet...i know i would...so that leaves us with folks that are just flat out defiant....they say thyre fans and spend alot of time on the message board....yet wont spend one dollar to support the team....well guess what...an extra 6 million goes a long ways, if that is indeed the number one wants to use...we already struggle as it is being a small market team....what that means is we have to have better attendance....like an OKC...or whatever....and that would be something we could all be proud of....this isnt the thug team....if we were truly a basketball state like we like to claim-but really isnt true anymore-then even though atttendance is a problem in alot of places...IT WOULDNT BE HERE....WE HAVE THIS GREAT TEAM....REALLY LIKEABLE....WHAT A GREAT STORY...GREAT LIKEABLE TEAM....AND THE BEST ATTENDANCE IN THE LEAGUE...THATS INDIANA FOR U....WHAT A GREAT CITY AND GREAT BASKETBALL STATE....

    but hell no...we suck...we got a bnch of lamers that would rather sit their fat *** on the couch and eat their Lays, drink their PBR and watch the game Al Bundy style....so yea...i gotta problem with that...i dont like being mentioned in the same breath...youre making us look bad....but hey...we get that u dont care...youve made that perfectly care...just do me a favor.....dont get so PO'd when i tell u to stfu about your excuses....and I agree with Seth...I hope they do leave indy...would serve alot of people right........

  36. #149
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I actually prefer sitting low for Pacers games because of the speed and power and a sense of connection I guess. But I'll also sit up high and have done so for years. I was pretty far up for that epic game 4 vs Boston with Chuck and Reggie and there is no way, even in HD, that watching that on TV would have been remotely the same. Heck, for the Lakers Finals when I didn't have a ticket for game 4 (just 3/5) a buddy and I went and watched on TV at the Fieldhouse just to be a part of the atmosphere, and it was really popular, tons of people came down. So even when we were "watching on TV" we still did it as close to being in the game as we could. This wasn't a few nut jobs, this was tons of people at a WTHR event.

    Now that game in '91 was one where I was very happy to be in the 15th row. It was so loud at the bottom of that bowl. That still ranks as my #3 all-time game to be at. The only two higher for me: Game #3 and Game #5 of The Finals. I had a ticket to game #4, but that was literally the day we moved to Chicago. Literally. I drove the moving truck during the game and lost the radio broadcast near Merriville as Perkins hit the three to tie it. ESPN1000 radio in Chicago wasn't carrying the ESPNRadio feed of the game. They had a boring WhiteSox regular season game on the radio. After unpacking, I drove back down for Game #5.

    By the way, Cowherd was ripping on Indy for another reason that makes all this moot - Pacers are BOTTOM FIVE IN TV VIEWERSHIP TOO.
    So these people saying "I prefer to watch at home" are also lying about that. They don't care about the team AT ALL. That's why it seems weird about attendance. If they were watching on TV then they'd get the same effect we all do which is that itch, that bug, that says "man, I gotta get down there in person".
    That's the bigger problem than attendance. They need to start here, by heavily advertising the tv broadcasts. And WIBC should chip in with "turn down the tv sound" ads for Mark & Slick.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  37. #150
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OKC (by a wide margin) leads local TV ratings, followed by Heat and Spurs. I don't have Pacers figures.

    http://newsok.com/media-notebook-oklahoma-city-thunder-ranks-no.-1-in-nba-in-local-tv-ratings/article/3742844
    Interesting. Spurs are usually in the top 1.

    I'll bet they are looking at third place and figuring out how to fix it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •