Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 434

Thread: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

  1. #76
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,746

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Hey we all have big HDTVs to watch the game, so lets all just stay home and watch the game. Why have a stadium at all! Lets just transition the NBA to a giant studio with a basketball court in the middle of it. Then out fit it with crazy camera angles. I want an embedded camera in the floor under the basket so I can see Lebron dunk and land on my face! Well make the court out of a giant LED screen with a glass overlay and play commercials under the players feet. The possibilities are endless, and best of all we wont' have to worry about fans! Though we'll only have 4 teams because thats all the star power we need to sell a consistent block of commericals every week.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The average person in Indiana is like that?
    Unfortunately, that statement is true. And, I've been in Indy for all of my 61 years. Indianapolis is a town where the typical pro sports fan is a "bandwagon" fan. Folks will follow and attend Purdue and IU games, and now Butler, as though they were religions. Back in the day (for most areas of the state), the same could be said for high school games. But the Pacers, and even the Colts, have been different.

    The bottom line is that I would give anything for the Pacers to play and beat the Heat and reach the finals. That is precisely what is needed to put Indy in "put up or shut up" mode. But I would have to admit that I would be more than a little anxious about what that response might be.

    But typically, Indy will jump on the bandwagon and support winners through attendance. And, that goes for both the Colts and the Pacers.

  3. #78
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,122

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Yeah, but you can't force people to enjoy the sports experience. Even when teams are good, a lot of people go just to say they are going. It becomes a status symbol.

    Winning is the best cure. Period.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #79
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,790

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but you can't force people to enjoy the sports experience. Even when teams are good, a lot of people go just to say they are going. It becomes a status symbol.

    Winning is the best cure. Period.
    Exactly.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  7. #80
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,537

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I don't think that Indy is really that much different than most other places when it comes to being "bandwagoners". It's just that it stands out here because we are a tiny market and don't have millions and millions of extra people to pull from. I've outlined many times how the Patriots had pathetic attendance 20 years ago, and how the Celtics also were not selling out. And the Boston market is bigger than Indy by millions and millions of people. Don't let Boston fans fool you when they act like they are a utopia of diehard sports fandom. They didn't support the Patriots before Kraft turned the team into a winner, and they didn't care about the Celtics at all for the 15 years in between Bird's retirement and the Big 3. That's not intended to pick on Boston as much as it is to show that other places are also fickle, even places that are much larger than Indy. Philly and Detroit have made major attendance woes in recent years. I get that Detroit has been hurt by the economy, but it's still a huge metro area with plenty of well off people in its suburbs.

    Sure the Knicks have always sold out the Garden (which isn't hard to do when you have 22 million people in your area), but does anyone believe that the demand for tickets in the 2000's was the same as the 90's? No way.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  9. #81

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey we all have big HDTVs to watch the game, so lets all just stay home and watch the game. Why have a stadium at all! Lets just transition the NBA to a giant studio with a basketball court in the middle of it. Then out fit it with crazy camera angles. I want an embedded camera in the floor under the basket so I can see Lebron dunk and land on my face! Well make the court out of a giant LED screen with a glass overlay and play commercials under the players feet. The possibilities are endless, and best of all we wont' have to worry about fans! Though we'll only have 4 teams because thats all the star power we need to sell a consistent block of commericals every week.

    Your sarcasm is duly noted to us that would rather watch the Pacers play on tv. I'll just have to struggle along not being there in person and try to refrain myself from being envious of you being at BLF in person. BUT we can both cheer OUR Pacers on in whatever way we feel comfortable in doing so. GO PACERS!!

  10. #82

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I can't really say much because I'm not an Indy native, and neither an American, nor even live in America. If I did I'll try to watch as many live games as I can, like how I do here in our local basketball pro league. Each person has different reasons why they do or don't go in Pacers games, and we really can't do about it. It's just sad that many from Indy doesn't appreciate the Pacers even if they're currently winning right now. I mean, the organization have just exerted so much for them to get the fan love they used to enjoy before. They did remove the headcases. They tried to build a great team based from what they have, and are currently doing great right now. They have made the playoffs for 2 years, and is on their way to the group of title contenders. They have offered lots of promos, discounts, and other stuff just so people can enjoy a live game in BLF, one of the best stadiums out there, with cheap tickets. The owners have done everything they can to ensure the team won't move to another city, for now. What is there to look for? It's like everything is spoon-fed to those people and yet they are still apathetic towards the Pacers. It's not like it's an obligation for residents there to come and watch every home game live, but if they want to keep the team in the city, then give the Pacers support by watching them live. At least before they give they make conclusions that it's not worth watching, try to at least see a game and and observe. Why look for a Durant when you have a Paul George that can just be as exciting, but on a different way? Why do you say it's not entertaining when the Pacers has a Lance Stephenson out there, who's practically entertaining playing basketball and making fun from time to time? Why not appreciate how the Pacers are playing right now, when they are playing the Hoosiers way? Being ignorant isn't an excuse when the team is doing great for about 3 years now.

    In a way, I think the NBA advertising as a whole should really help in promoting the Pacers. It's not so common to see headlines or blogs that are Pacers-related. Pacers highlight reels aren't even that many in their post-game recaps. It will really help the league as a whole if they can promote more up and coming small market teams rather than spend so much webpage spaces on articles about Lakers drama, or the Heat's "greatness."

  11. #83
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,612

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    See, I told you the Pacers needs to get out in front of this. The franchise has not said a single word positive or negative. But all these articles and radio discussions breed contempt among the people that don't go to games. People think the actual Pacers are *****ing and moaning and calling people frontrunners and racists and whatever else.

    All of this stuff over the last couple weeks is doing a helluva lot more to hurt the growth of the fanbase than help it.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  13. #84

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I can't disagree with much of what he said. And I, too, find it annoying to be chided by media or my fellow fans about attendance. He is very on point to illustrate that attendance below sell-out level can still be considered successful. When I have a performance goal (for the Pacers, their attendance), I do not blame my customers if I fail to meet the goal. Neither should the Pacers blame fans when the organization fails to meet its goal.

    In dissent to him, I say that there is something special about the current roster and I believe that they actually can advance to and win the Finals! I am glad that they didn't make any moves. And I am thrilled with the recent emergence of OJ and Pendergraph as I think that gives the team more options and more quality fouls to give.

  14. #85
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,612

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    This was actually painful to read. Just seems incredibly misinformed on so many levels.

  15. #86
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,287

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might be true, but he's a lot closer to the average person than we are or there wouldn't be a need to have these discussions. PS&E/NBA need to figure out a way to reach people like him, not tell him to **** off.


    No...being told to f.c. off is exactly what this ahole needs to be told...Who says hes closer to the average person than we are??? I say bs to that. Hes nothing but an insecure smartass begging for attention. Hence why it should be dleted...someone wants to make a post stating similar...so be it...he then can be torched....but reprinting spam from another site with this load of ****? thats bs....and the admins should know better.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  17. #87
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,612

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I don't care what business you run. $6 million dollars isn't chump change. That would pay the salaries of Pendergraph, Young, Stephenson, OJ, Plumlee, and Ben Hansbrough and still have another million+ left.

  18. #88
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    My tv runs my life. It's just much more convenient for me, being 12 steps from my kitchen. That way I don't have to be bothered with things like driving, parking, crowds, walking any amount that could be construed as exercise, standing in line, talking to strangers, talking to acquaintances, talking to friends, human interaction, etc... What a waste of my time all that stuff is. Just feed it into my living room please.

  19. #89
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,287

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets face it, no matter how big a fan of the Pacers some are they just aren't going to come to the games, myself included. I can sit in a 20 X 20 family room in front of a 65" TV, and go to the kitchen for whatever I want to get to eat or drink whenever I feel like it, and still cheer my Pacers on to victory. I haven't missed a game this season, yet I haven't been to a Pacers game since MSA.

    I have never been to a Colts game, nor do I have any inclination to do so. I wasn't excited about when Hudnut brought the Colts into Indy during the dead of night, nor when they won the Super Bowl. I couldn't even tell you who their running back is, but I can tell you who the Bears running back b4 Gale Sayres was... never been to a Bears game either. I can tell you who both qtrbacks names were the years the Bears won the Super Bowls. I've been to 2 IU BB games, 1 Purdue BB game, and zero Butler games since moving to the Indy area decades ago. IIRC, the last time I was at Hinkle to see a BB game was 1963 to see the IN-KY Boys Allstar BB game. The last HS BB game I was at was a semi-state game to watch my alma mater play 5 or more years ago with the enticement of relatives.

    After saying all that, I can say w/o a doubt I have more Pacers fandom than relatives, neighbors, and people I know. My point is not everyone has a desire to attend games of their favorite team, and it doesn't make them less of a fan of their favorite team. We are a society of convenience, and it's more convenient for the majority of local Pacers fans to stay home, save their money for other things, and watch the Pacers play on tv in the comfort of their home while sitting in the best seat in the house. Attending Pacer games just isn't a priority for the average person, and unfortunately for the Pacers that's just the way it is.
    Lol...save the money for other things? based on your post the only thing you evidently are saving for is a papa johns pizza....someone so lazy and convenience oriented isnt likely to spend it on "anything else" worthwhile....and anyone that thinks the best seat in the house is in front of a 65 inch tv is living in denial....and likely is on their way to being a contestant on the biggest loser.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  21. #90
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but you sit in the lower level don't you? I certainly agree with you that you pick up on things in the lower level that you wouldn't at home. The problem though is that you pick up on less things in the balcony than you do at home on your shinny HDTV.
    I totally disagree with this statement. When you are at home, you don't control the view of court. You only see what the cameraman catches and if they miss something, you have to hope they show you a replay.

    Usually when I go to a game I sit in the balcony. I have sat in the lower level of BLF one time. I can definitely see plays develop, see the player open in the corner or under the basket, and you can lock in on one matchup and follow it on both sides of the court whether those 2 players have the ball in their hands or not. And if you miss a great play or a questionable foul, you're more likely to get a replay at the game than at home.

    I do have good eyesight though. Maybe that's the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  23. #91
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,612

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol...save the money for other things? based on your post the only thing you evidently are saving for is a papa johns pizza....someone so lazy and convenience oriented isnt likely to spend it on "anything else" worthwhile....and anyone that thinks the best seat in the house is in front of a 65 inch tv is living in denial....and likely is on their way to being a contestant on the biggest loser.
    quit being a dick

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  25. #92
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,790

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol...save the money for other things? based on your post the only thing you evidently are saving for is a papa johns pizza....someone so lazy and convenience oriented isnt likely to spend it on "anything else" worthwhile....and anyone that thinks the best seat in the house is in front of a 65 inch tv is living in denial....and likely is on their way to being a contestant on the biggest loser.
    C'mon. That's not necessary.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  27. #93

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol...save the money for other things? based on your post the only thing you evidently are saving for is a papa johns pizza....someone so lazy and convenience oriented isnt likely to spend it on "anything else" worthwhile....and anyone that thinks the best seat in the house is in front of a 65 inch tv is living in denial....and likely is on their way to being a contestant on the biggest loser.
    Don't be such a jag, brother. Those insults you made don't even make sense in the context of a reply to the post by Justin Tyme.

  28. #94
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,949

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, I told you the Pacers needs to get out in front of this. The franchise has not said a single word positive or negative. But all these articles and radio discussions breed contempt among the people that don't go to games. People think the actual Pacers are *****ing and moaning and calling people frontrunners and racists and whatever else.

    All of this stuff over the last couple weeks is doing a helluva lot more to hurt the growth of the fanbase than help it.
    I hadn't thought of it that way. Not sure I agree with you though.

  29. #95
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't be such a jag, brother. Those insults you made don't even make sense in the context of a reply to the post by Justin Tyme.
    That reply is more suiting to me, but that's his problem. That's how I live my life now, lets please move on.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  31. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,071

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    First only winning will cure the attendance woes. We aren't a large enough market to fill a stadium when we haven't proven to be able to win year in and year out. There are only about 3 or 4 markets in the US that has populations large enough to do that. Indy certainly isn't one of them. Make another great showing in the playoffs this year, and people will come.

    Secondly I think people need to cool it on attendance. It is a psychological thing, the worst thing you can do is put out a perception that people don't care about the Pacers, as it makes the Pacers look uncool, and people won't want to go because the Pacers aren't cool. Most people never grow out of their high school mentalities until they are too old for it to matter. You want to put out a positive image, not a negative image. Focus only on the good, and ignore the bad. So stop complaining about attendance, and start telling people how great the team is. Tell them that Paul George is developing into a better player than Reggie right before our eyes, that this team is on pace to be one of the all-time great defensive teams ever, and that this is all happening without Granger.

    On the topic of draft picks lets just look at who we have. At this point in time I would say we have 5 players who most likely would be top 10 draft picks in their draft if the drafts happened today; Granger, West, Hibbert, George, and Stephenson plus Hill would defiantly be a lottery pick. Add to this we do have at least on single digit draft pick on this team already, DJ Augustin was drafted 9th. Haha, ok I know I am just being a smartass now. I don't even know where West was picked as I didn't look that far back. This team may not have had the top picks in the draft, but you would be a struggle to find anyone who has drafted as well as the Pacers who didn't luck out on getting a top pick or two. We have drafted two players that would be top 10, possible top 5 picks today at pick 17. With the exception of George it actually seems like we draft better the further back we draft. :P

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  33. #97
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol...save the money for other things? based on your post the only thing you evidently are saving for is a papa johns pizza....someone so lazy and convenience oriented isnt likely to spend it on "anything else" worthwhile....and anyone that thinks the best seat in the house is in front of a 65 inch tv is living in denial....and likely is on their way to being a contestant on the biggest loser.
    Out of line.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  35. #98
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,790

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    I agree, Eleazar. The Pacers need to be "cool" again. I think Paul George is the key to that.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  37. #99
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,287

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't be such a jag, brother. Those insults you made don't even make sense in the context of a reply to the post by Justin Tyme.
    Oh contrare....the reason some get up in arms is because we have struck a nerve. Theres a simple saying. Put your money where your mouth is. Many arent and are getting made to feel guilty. And i agree, they SHOULD be made to feel guilty. The ones that cant afford it, so be it....but theyre not the ones that are saying anything. Theyre to shy and likely embarassed. And those are the ones i feel for. But these aholes that give a long line of excuses for why they wont spend their money on the pacers because of hdtv and the like...well screw them. Theyre the dicks. And its why they are so up in arms. Theyve been called out. And it dont feel so good now does it. So let the fire continue to burn. Anyone that thinks someone that sits and watches a game at home and hasnt been to a game since MSA is the same sort of fan as someone whos been to a thousand games is also in denial. Hes not a fan. Hes a casual observer. A fan actually does something to SUPPORT his team that his team can actually feel. He makes a difference. Home court advantage, etc. So yea...i do take it personal...Put ur money where ur mouth is. or STFU.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  39. #100
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh contrare....the reason some get up in arms is because we have struck a nerve.
    No, you were just being needlessly rude. That struck a nerve. If you can't make your point without being blatantly insulting, best not to post here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •