Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

We all know people will be in the seats come playoff time, so why can't they go to regular season games? I dont get it

EFFF that guy and his opinion....
    After reading that garbage, I just wanna throat punch him for being an uninformed butthole...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Different stadium and team and all, but I know I got Pacers vs Suns tickets for about $75 bucks each w/ fees, and my seats are over pretty close towards Pacers bench. I guess if I wanted to follow the team every game at stadium it would be a bit much though. Number 1 thing I would say though is to not wait until the last second unless you want to deal w/ scalpers. Buy a month in advance for a team not named Heat, Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, Celtics and I'd figure you could get a decent deal for it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    EFFF that guy and his opinion....
    After reading that garbage, I just wanna throat punch him for being an uninformed butthole...
    Sounds like an anger managment issue. Had to throw that out there today as I had a guy flip me off this morning coming into work because I was driving the speed limit.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The year was 1999, his name is Jonathan Bender, 5th overall pick by Toronto and traded immediately to Pacers.

We may have never earned a Top 5 pick, but I am glad we haven't. This Franchise has ALWAYS tried, almost to a fault. They have also owned their mistakes and TRIED to make up for them.

Paul George is currently the best player to come out of the 2010 Draft, and Lance Stephenson is by far the STEAL of the draft, and you could make an arguement he is already a Top 10 Player from that draft.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Mood

What is the crime with sitting in the balcony?

Yes it is high up, but the views are still excellent, you an see offensive sets develop better, and you watch the game in the premier arena in the NBA. The arena experience/vantage point is much better than television. I still have yet to figure this out.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Just a couple thoughts, this guy basically affirms the stereotype that Indianapolis people are homebodies. They would rather stay at home and be a couch potato than actually go out and see any form of live entertainment unless its free, or lots of alcohol is involved. Its the same reason why the Indianapolis Sympony had so much trouble this year raising money to even exist. People would rather stay at home than actually sponge up any sort of real culture.

I can't stand his last set of paragraphs where he basically calls the team irrelevant.
    This is a very good observation about not only Indy but the entire sports fan community. TV has made it possible to share in the excitement of games without the bother of actually going to the game. You see plays much more vividly on a HDTV than in attendance, unless you have front row seats. The stay at home fan is the creation of the League and Sports Television and is not just a problem in Indpls. Go to a nice sports bar with your friends, have some adult beverages and watch the games on large screen tvs.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    We all know people will be in the seats come playoff time, so why can't they go to regular season games? I dont get it
    Because most people think the regular season is largely irrelevant? I don't necessarily agree but it's not an uncommon thought.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

I wonder if his feelings will change after we win the title this year? Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He made a few good points. The points that are valid are that...

1. The City has helped the Pacers out financially.

2. The Pacers shouldn't be begging people to come to the games or questioning them when they don't. Let the media handle calling out the public.

3. This:
    The answer is that television contracts and television ratings are what drive your success. So let’s not get carried away fretting about whether 13,000 or 16,000 show up on Tuesday night to watch you play the Warriors. Don’t be so insecure. Let’s look forward to revenue sharing.
    Revenue sharing is going to be huge this year. Look at the luxury tax bills the Knicks and Lakers are going to pay. You could purchase another Big Screen billboard with the money the Pacers will probably get this year. Yeah, and the Pacers probably shouldn't be so insecure.

I think you guys have clearly pointed out what he's gotten wrong but that doesn't mean that the 3 things above don't have any merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post

Yes it is high up, but the views are still excellent, you an see offensive sets develop better, and you watch the game in the premier arena in the NBA. The arena experience/vantage point is much better than television. I still have yet to figure this out.
    I totally agree. Also, the new big screen billboard negates the problem of not being able to see as well from the balcony.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've got an idea, and I know it will never happen, but how about we just drop the whole subject. The more the local media has brought up that the fans aren't showing up, it seems like locals are actually rebelling against showing up. It makes the Pacers organization look like whiny little brats.

IF THE TEAM KEEPS WINNING (talking deep playoff run), PEOPLE WILL SHOW UP TO THE GAMES.

That's how Indiana works. It's really that simple.
    Grown Man Ball

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post

I've stated several times already, but my seats are in the balcony and I love them. I'm only speaking for myself, but it's not just about the view. It's about being in the building. I've been to every home game since Feb. 5, 2010. Long story, but I've only missed one game since late 2008. I love being able to say I've been there for every game that Lance has suited up, when Danny hit the jumper to beat the Knicks, the time Jeff Foster tripped the nut who ran on to the floor or the time we beat the Knicks by 34 while basically having a dunk contest at the same time.

Sure I could watch those games at home, but it wouldn't carry the same weight for me. The crazy part: my tickets the last two seasons come out to an average of $8/game. Well worth it, in my opinion.

I completely understand people have reasons for not attending games and that's fine. Everyone's situation is different. I'm just ready to stop talking about attendance and start enjoying the fact that we are damn good team with a legitimate shot of winning a title. As Peck has said numerous times, attendance has gotten better this season. We are trending in the right direction already. That's all I can really ask for.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I've stated several times already, but my seats are in the balcony and I love them. I'm only speaking for myself, but it's not just about the view. It's about being in the building. I've been to every home game since Feb. 5, 2010. Long story, but I've only missed one game since late 2008. I love being able to say I've been there for every game that Lance has suited up, when Danny hit the jumper to beat the Knicks, the time Jeff Foster tripped the nut who ran on to the floor or the time we beat the Knicks by 34 while basically having a dunk contest at the same time.

Sure I could watch those games at home, but it wouldn't carry the same weight for me. The crazy part: my tickets the last two seasons come out to an average of $8/game. Well worth it, in my opinion.

I completely understand people have reasons for not attending games and that's fine. Everyone's situation is different. I'm just ready to stop talking about attendance and start enjoying the fact that we are damn good team with a legitimate shot of winning a title. As Peck has said numerous times, attendance has gotten better this season. We are trending in the right direction already. That's all I can really ask for.
    Agree with the whole post but mostly this last part. The sooner we all stop talking about "attendance issues" and just enjoy how awesome our team, the sooner attendance won't be an issue at all.
    Grown Man Ball

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

To be fair, the Pacers org really hasn't complained about people not showing up. It's been the media. The Pacers have just been running different specials and winning basketball games.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

First of all, Thank God Paul George went to a small school. He'd be the number one draft pick in that class now.

Second, I think the letter is hypocritical, but I'll give him a little bit of credit when it comes to his argument with tv deals and ticket prices.

Sure, they are cheap. I don't think he realizes how cheap (for instance, it's cheaper than our women's college basketball team. And let's not even get into Knicks prices..) but when you have a television...and it's cold outside...50 dollars per person is a little pricey.

And tv deals are where the money is for NBA teams. But that's not the point. It's about the atmosphere.

People are impatient. If this team beats the Heat in the playoffs and the starters return..fans will show up. It takes time to build up fans. Even last season, we weren't an elite team. This year, I think we really are. And it'll show in the playoffs.

And finally...if Indiana's odds to win a championship are really 25-1...I'm going to have to look at that....
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

To be fair, the Pacers org really hasn't complained about people not showing up. It's been the media. The Pacers have just been running different specials and winning basketball games.
    And that's all I want from them. I agree with Mosley, though. The media beating people over the head with this seems to be doing more harm than help. Just keep winning.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude is nothing but a smartass that is masquerading as "liking" the Pacers when its quite clear he not only doesnt but is quite bitter as well...The article should be removed....hes not worthy of the attention.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

As they should. I think taking out an full page ad in the Star, or some kind of campaign somewhere, saying they don't think they "deserve" your money, but are working hard towards putting a product worth your money would do some good.

I don't think guilting people into attending games is really going to do the trick. I would imagine it actually creates some animosity.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Dude is nothing but a smartass that is masquerading as "liking" the Pacers when its quite clear he not only doesnt but is quite bitter as well...The article should be removed....hes not worthy of the attention.
    Might be true, but he's a lot closer to the average person than we are or there wouldn't be a need to have these discussions. PS&E/NBA need to figure out a way to reach people like him, not tell him to **** off.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

And I've fallen into the trap as well, but here we are again with a fan who is clearly on the fence about coming back fully and we all are calling him an idiot, etc. I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but like I said in another thread, our best way to convert people like this is to get their butt in the building and let them see Paul George do Paul George things in person. They need to see Lance get the rebound and start bursting up court like a run away freight train. And then they need to see David West just be a bad mother.....

The point is, all us die hards, should take on ourselves to be ambassadors, not dicks. Like I said I'm just as guilty because I called his argument about single digit draft picks completely moronic.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yes, going to a game is significantly more expensive than watching it on TV. But atmosphere and emotions experienced at the game are invaluable. In the end everybody has to weight that for himself.

He has a valid point though that ticket sales only account for a fraction of a franchise's revenue. In the end these 3,000 empty seats won't decide whether professional basketball in Indy has a future or not. What he might forget is that he won't have a Durant et al. around long-term if those star players have to play in an empty arena.

Sports Logo

You know, I don't actually care about the attendance. It is going up and as we keep winning it will keep going up.

My problem is the mentality of the person who wrote that article.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

*Warning: I'm going to ramble on as I re-read the guy's article and respond bit by bit with the thoughts that come to me at the time*

I think it's fair for people to just not be that into the team. Regardless of the reason, that's perfectly valid in and of itself to simply not care about the team (much).

The first question I have is, "Was he ever really here?" He says, "I know you want me back," but it's hard to tell when he left in the first place (and if he was ever here at all).

I'm not sure what he means by the NBA having the best talent yet 'not always the best showcase for it.'

I think it's completely legit to prefer the atmosphere of a game at IU to a game at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. There's a lot I don't like about the experience of an NBA game with regards to the environment (too much noise, too often, usually a little too loud, all of the stuff that placates kiddies and families that I don't care about, it's almost a non-stop barrage of noise pollution).

Ditto for a good high school crowd (I'm spoiled because I grew up here in New Castle, in that regard).

I think there's some truth to the Pacers not being the only game in town. If the Colts didn't exist I think you would see more people giving us a look.

I get where he's coming from as well with regards to when fans try to tell non fans what they should do. I am a big fan James Cameron movies (particularly his first handful), but I don't go around insisting 'outsiders' go watch James Cameron movies, for example. Granted, his flicks don't have nearly the same financial problems as the Pacers. But regardless, these folks are NOT OBLIGATED to care about the Pacers. My only beef with outsiders is when they say a bunch of ******** that isn't true (like the team being comprised of thugs and that kind of crap).

He then goes on to talk about selling out to corporations and the increased cost of tickets. It's hard for me to comment because I wasn't buying tickets prior to Conseco Fieldhouse (if I went to a game, someone was taking me back then). But I can say that as someone who has limited income, it's a big deal to invest in a lower level seat. I'm spoiled because I have friends who will invite me to sit with them in those locations, but if I didn't have that I would always be either in the balcony or at home with my budget. The closest I could ever imagine sitting on my own dime would be the fan zones in sections 19, 20, 1, & 2, but doing so would be a BIG bite for me.

This brings me to Stubhub. People love to bring up stubhub. Personally, I've never used it. For whatever reason it never seemed attractive to me. I'm also not sure that everybody is aware of its existence. A lot are, but I'd guess a lot more than that are not. If they do use it, does that really make the Pacers any happier? I don't see why it would beyond the appearance of a bigger crowed because those tickets are all being RESOLD, are they not? So it's not making them any more money in that regard (though, yes, anyone who comes and then buys food or merchandise still adds something). Don't get me wrong, stubhub sounds like a fair counter point to make to those who complain about prices, but it's not perfect, and it does nothing to change the fact that a lot of people are going to simply go directly through the team to buy tickets, and yes those prices are relatively not cheap unless you're fine with sitting somewhere in the balcony.

This brings me to his point about HDTV. Sorry, but I totally get this part, too. I've been a huge fan since 1998, but I've always been perfectly happy watching the games on TV. I go to games because I have friends there, I like that I'm supporting the team, and I like feeling like 'a member of the club' as a STH, but at the same time I spent years and years rarely making the trip to Indy because I never had a problem watching on TV. And that was how I felt back when it was SD on a 21" TV, let alone now on a 42" in HD. Every once and a while I just don't feel like driving over (takes me about 45 minutes or so), and in those cases I'm perfectly content to just hit the living room for the game. So I get that.

And, again, depending on your level of disposable income, it's TREMENDOUS bang for your buck to just stay home and watch FSN Indiana, relative to attending games, let alone all/most of them. MUCH cheaper and still extremely satisfying.

Now, he lost me with his bit about the cost of taking his family to the game is the same he could have spent on buying a new TV. That was ridiculous IMO.

I don't claim to know all of the math, but I suspect there's truth to the point that it's the TV revenue (league wide) that matters a lot more to the league than having perfect / 95+% attendance matters. Especially the national TV deals.

Jumping to the part about tax dollars, frankly, I tend to side with the tax payer on this. I think professional sports in general (at least what little I know about how it works with the NFL and the NBA, anyway) push their luck with the public funds they ask for. I know they argue that they make the city money, but it seems like people manage to come up with numbers that prove/disprove that depending on their opinion, so I'm decidedly UNdecided on that front. But that's not my main point here, it's this: If I don't care about a given pro sports team in my town, I sure as hell don't like the idea that I'm helping to pay for it. Especially if my city's economy isn't that great. So I think there's valid reason to not be thrilled here, too.

Then he just goes into Stupidville with the bit about where our draft picks are, so enough said there. Nothing we haven't talked about ad nauseum here before.

Then we get to the frontrunner stuff. It's hard for a Pacer fan to imagine, I think, but they can acknowledge that there are plenty of fans of sports out there who get more pleasure out of rooting for winners than rooting for one particular jersey year in and year out. They get more pleasure out of seeing greatness (wherever it happens to be playing that year) and cheering it on than hitching their wagon to one horse forever. And you know what? I'm fine with that. It's not my call or my place to tell them what to appreciate or how to enjoy sports. I even think I can see the appeal myself, to be honest. I've made my bed with the Pacers, but it doesn't mean I don't have appreciation for the great players out there, too. I can easily imagine a world where I would just support greatness and leave it at that. That's not how it ended up, but it could have. At least for me.

But that's not exactly what he's arguing, is it? No, he seems to be making the argument that he's not rooting for someone else's team, he's merely refusing to root for THIS team until IT IS THE GREATNESS. Even the fact that we are damn good right now, we're not greatness, thus he's not buying. I really don't know what to say to him about that. If it's "The Pacers are the best team in the league" or bust, then I guess the bottom line is 99% of the time you won't ever care about the Pacers.

He says we're "LeBron's bitch". I'd be lying if I said I had no idea what he's talking about, but that's still hyperbolic and frankly may not be a defensible position at all in a few months (call it a homer hunch, if you must, but I think I'm being objective to see a great chance to shock a lot of people). Regardless, I can see why outsiders would assume this is fact given the sports culture we live in (it's ESPN's world). Although his point about Vegas isn't easily dismissible IMO. People don't eff around where their wallets are concerned.

He ain't wrong about the refs blowing Wade and James, though. That part gets infuriating to me. It's the closest I come to throwing in the towel myself with the NBA entirely, to be honest. Garbage.

His closing bit about 'let's just be friends' is a fair place to be. Just because someone makes an awesome dessert doesn't mean it's one you prefer to eat.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

That point was completely moronic though. It should get corrected.