Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

Default Re: Fan to Pacers: Maybe we're just not that into you.

Where did Jermaine O'Neal and Kevin Garnett go to college? That's right. They didn't go did they?

The point is, players can skip college and try out for the pro's. Why don't they do that? They need an opportunity to compete in a farm league for the NBA. THAT is where the big value is for players interested in the NBA.

If people have a problem with the way the NCAA runs their league, they should start their own farm league. It's a free country, right?

I'm much more of an NBA fan than college fan these days. But I suspect some of this angst against college ball is coming from people who didn't attend college. I can't understand the complaints otherwise because NOBODY is forcing a single player to play NCAA basketball.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

There's an easy compromise. Let players make money off their likeness, same as the Olympic model. If Victor Oladipo can make 1500 bucks shooting a commercial for a car dealership or a couple hundred for a Jake's ad or whatever then let them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's an easy compromise. Let players make money off their likeness, same as the Olympic model. If Victor Oladipo can make 1500 bucks shooting a commercial for a car dealership or a couple hundred for a Jake's ad or whatever then let them.
    Tell Victor about the NBA. I heard they pay good money. Nobody is forcing him to play for IU.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

While I sorta agree with him, this team can beat the heat. But hes right about everything up until that point

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm much more of an NBA fan than college fan these days. But I suspect some of this angst against college ball is coming from people who didn't attend college. I can't understand the complaints otherwise because NOBODY is forcing a single player to play NCAA basketball.
    I don't think that's it. There's me for example, and I have talked to others students/grads that just think NCAA sports is a bad, corrupt, unfair model.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    If people have a problem with the way the NCAA runs their league, they should start their own farm league. It's a free country, right?
    I don't see what's the point of telling 17 year old kids to start a farm league...

Look, being a student athlete is a great opportunity. But something can be a great opportunity while still being wrong or unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I don't think that's it. There's me for example, and I have talked to others students/grads that just think NCAA sports is a bad, corrupt, unfair model.

I don't see what's the point of telling 17 year old kids to start a farm league...

Look, being a student athlete is a great opportunity. But something can be a great opportunity while still being wrong or unfair.
    If it's a bad model, why isn't it being replaced? Could it be that you would not attract the money without successful alumni who went to Business school and enjoy seeing their school compete?

IOW, what you want isn't real. It doesn't exist because it's not real.

Edit: BTW, there is corruption but the NCAA enforcement staff works hard to stop it. I think they do a pretty decent job considering the size of the problem.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If it's a bad model, why isn't it being replaced? Could it be that you would not attract the money without successful alumni who went to Business school and enjoy seeing their school compete?

IOW, what you want isn't real. It doesn't exist because it's not real.
    School is for learning. I don't think kids should be used on that scale in a corrupt system, so if another league could generate as much money or success is irrelevant.

Edit: BTW, there is corruption but the NCAA enforcement staff works hard to stop it. I think they do a pretty decent job considering the size of the problem.
    From what I understand, if you are competing in college sports, there's cheating on some level. Even Harvard cheats. The great Notre Dames brushes charges under the rug.

This is getting OT, so I'll just say I enjoy college basketball and football, but I think there should be a better way of doing things.
    Last edited by billbradley; 02-25-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This article seems relevant to where the discussion has gone in this thread.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...ohnny-football

If you're wondering, the NFL won't allow Johnny Manziel to go pro until next season, so that's not an option for him.