Thread: Jim Rome Pg interview

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jim Rome Pg interview

http://t.co/0l2eCFcbji

resh off his first All-Star appearance and 27 points in a blowout of the New York Knicks, Pacers forward Paul George joined the Jim Rome Show on Thursday. While his breakout season has been a surprise for some, it hasn’t been for George, who credits much of his growth to Indiana associate head coach Brian Shaw.
    “Me and B Shaw share a very special relationship,” said George. “He really comes to me and I can come to him, we talk about everything – how I can get open, how I can be more efficient, what I’m not seeing on the floor.”
    Shaw doesn’t just bring experience as a player and coach, he brings some very specific experience – being around Kobe Bryant.
    “He’s been around Kobe, who’s the one I looked up to,” said George. “Anytime that I’m not pushing it, or going at a high level, he’ll always come over and joke with me that Kobe does this or Kobe would do that, or Kobe can make that pass or that play, so he always motivates me.”
    Thanks to George, the Pacers are 33-21, half a game out of the second spot in the East, an impressive mark given they’ve done it without Danny Granger. The All-Star, who has missed the whole season with a knee injury is expected to return shortly, which should give Indiana a boost ahead of the playoffs.
    Of course it was in last year’s postseason, Indiana had a 2-1 lead over Miami in the Eastern Conference Semifinals and let it slip away. That missed opportunity is something that still bothers George.
    “I think we kind of took it for granted,” George said of the series lead. “Those guys are All Stars, and those guys will find a way to really compete and eventually comeback. I think we didn’t overlook them, we knew what we were up against, but we just didn’t finish the job off.”
    play
    Paul George
    Feb 21st 2013
    More Sharing Services Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved.

© 2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved Privacy Policy Terms of Use
    Powered by WordPress.com VIP
    Impossible Is Nothing

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Default Re: Jim Rome Pg interview

interesting pg mentions having granger all year would have set him back
    Murph

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    interesting pg mentions having granger all year would have set him back
    he is being honest, if Granger was there from the start he would have probably deferred to Danny a lot, but his injury has made Paul step into the spotlight and now when Danny comes back it will make us even better

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    he is being honest, if Granger was there from the start he would have probably deferred to Danny a lot, but his injury has made Paul step into the spotlight and now when Danny comes back it will make us even better
    Yep, and this is something that some people need to hear from Paul George. We should remember that Larry Bird came out publicly and talked about how Paul George wasn't aggressive enough offensively and not that Danny Granger was being cancerous to the team and ruining any chance of Paul George playing well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's the one thing I still worry about a little bit with Paul. He admits he would have deferred to Danny. He admits that at times he needs B Shaw to come motivate him with "Kobe could do that."

I want Paul to motivate Paul. I want deferring to be the last thing Paul considers.

He needs to realize that whatever he wants is within his reach if he can just have the kind of drive that a guy like Kobe has. It's not a question of talent.

He did mention that reaching his goal of being an All Star makes him want to set his goals even higher. Let's see where he takes us. Good interview with Rome.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Totally agree...I've been saying this all year.....PG and Lance should thank Granger for being injured. Without that happening....both of them will not have had the chance to shine.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...-play-defense/

George gives credit to…..brace yourself…..former coach Jim O’Brien.

O’Brien told George that he would have to become a better defender if he expected to get any minutes during his rookie season.
    “It’s more mental,” George said. “A lot of times I am exhausted. I kind of know the reasons why I’m not making shots. I know it’s because I’m really working on the other end. But again, I’ll keep doing it if I know it’s going to make special.”

“Every player should want to be a two-way player,” Spoelstra said. “To truly to be a great player in this year, you have to be able to impact the game on both ends of the floor. He just can’t be a scorer or shooter. He understands that. Paul has the right mind frame to do it and that’s why he’s excelling at it.”
    Read this to a while back.

By me ^^

11. The Following User Says Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I don't think Paul will defer now anymore than West or Hill would. The only thing I think PG is getting at is that had Danny been there then he wouldn't have been pushed to find his new limits. But once a person finds what they can do and gets that confidence there is no going back.

I think Danny is more likely to be passive and concerned about his ability to meet the team standards than Paul or Lance will defer to him.

And you know what, Paul might THINK that Danny being out is what did it for him, but I suspect that it has more to do with experience in the league than anything, just like it does for ALL players. No one said "I hope Jordan gets hurt so Pippen will learn to be an all-star". Pippen (or Worthy in LA, or Dumars in DET, etc) learned to be great AS players while playing alongside other major talents.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    That's the one thing I still worry about a little bit with Paul. He admits he would have deferred to Danny. He admits that at times he needs B Shaw to come motivate him with "Kobe could do that."

I want Paul to motivate Paul. I want deferring to be the last thing Paul considers.

He needs to realize that whatever he wants is within his reach if he can just have the kind of drive that a guy like Kobe has. It's not a question of talent.

He did mention that reaching his goal of being an All Star makes him want to set his goals even higher. Let's see where he takes us. Good interview with Rome.
    You don't think Kobe was ever motivated by his coach telling him what Michael did.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    You don't think Kobe was ever motivated by his coach telling him what Michael did.
    I think he's still motivated by people telling him what Michael did........

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I really hope Danny doesnt come back thinking he is the go to guy on this team..... PG has way to much potential to become a superstar.......and only 22.

Mood

I think we easily could still be waiting/hoping for Paul George to 'arrive' right now if Shaw had taken a HC position last summer and Danny had been playing the whole time. Especially the former. I think fate plus in particular Frank wooing Shaw here in 2011 was HUGE.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Yesssssss! The Jungle Karma rests over Indiana!