Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

  1. #1
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,536

    Default Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Forgive me if this has already been posted. I haven't seen it posted yet.

    http://dimemag.com/2013/02/whos-bett...paul-george/2/

    There are two different arguments posted. This is the pro Paul George argument.


    Paul George doesn’t have the years of experience, the dozens of clutch shots or the world championship under his belt.

    He’s only got everything else.

    He’s a young player whose role has grown from complimentary player to NBA star in about 10 weeks, after all. But for as legendary as Pierce has been — and as resurgent he’s played since Rondo’s season-ending injury — only one other player in the NBA this season is averaging at least 17.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game. And that player is LeBron James, whose greatness has already been discussed. In fact, since Pierce was a rookie, only 11 people have averaged those kind of statistics George has for a season, a group that’s never included Pierce. Those are numbers befitting one of the rare players who can translate his gifts of athleticism and timing into every phase of the game. This is, as a reminder, just George’s third season. If I’m taking George vs. Pierce in a winner-take-all matchup in this moment, George is an easy choice because his impact covers more than just one end of the court.

    Both have shown they can score, of course. While Pierce has done it for more than a decade in a steady run of excellence even for the storied Green and White, George is showing he can answer the call in a moment’s notice. Say, for example, an injury that knocked leading scorer Danny Granger out of the lineup for all but two weeks of the season. George’s scoring jumped from 14.3 points per game in November to 18.8 in December, 19.4 in January, and 19.1 this month. Three consecutive months of not only scoring but leadership from George to hold Indiana together despite Granger’s absence and Roy Hibbert’s virtual invisibility in the paint. It matches the kind of put a team on my back role Pierce has always held. Is that too general a description of his influence for you? The Pacers’ offense is anemic without him on the floor, scoring eight fewer points, according to NBA.com statistics, while shooting seven percentage points worse from three and four points worse overall.

    The difference is defense. Put George on a team like Indiana and it can be hard to differentiate his effect from the rest of the squad’s league-leading defense. However, it’s also hard to separate Pierce’s poor defense on account of his age — not to blame him much, because everyone loses a step — from the rest of his team’s worsening defense. While the Celtics are ranked in the top 10 of defensive rating this season, it’s the team’s third-worst rating since the beginning of the Big Three era in 2007, nearly four points per 100 possessions worse than last year’s 2011-12 team. What George brings that is different is the quickness to shadow players from point guard to a stretch four, often checking a team’s best player. In a Feb. 4 game against division-best Chicago, George hounded Luol Deng, one of the game’s top-five best two-way players, in a fitting compliment. On the game’s first possession, George stuck with Deng over a screen from Carlos Boozer, kept Deng on his left hip and drove him toward the corner instead of letting him turn toward the rim, then blocked a poor shot attempt. In the same game’s fourth quarter with Indiana protecting an 11-point lead, George swatted Deng from behind at the rim off an offensive board. In games against James this season where he’s almost exclusively guarded the game’s most unguardable player, he’s blocked his shot in a ridiculously impressive show of athleticism, then slid underneath him for a block to seal a Feb. 1 victory at home.

    Pierce can create many plays still, but he can’t make those. And right now, I’ll take George in this guard matchup because plays just like them.
    — ANDREW GREIF
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  2. #2
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,329
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    He's not quite there yet to Paul pierce in his prime. But he has the chance to surpass that definitely. If any GM in the league had to pick now they would take George every time. And it's not that far of a gap right now either. Paul will be on another level than Pierce when all is said and done.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Pierce is the better player right now (by a little) and I doubt George will ever be as good as prime pierce was
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  6. #4

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Right now, today, Paul George, Pierce has gotten slow on defense. If there was a vote on this one and people chose Paul Pierce I would automatically assume all people watch for is who scores the most points. These guys play the same position and PG grabs more boards, and plays much better defense on the ball and off the ball right now. While Pierce averages one more point and half an assist. The ball is in Pierce's hands a lot more with Rondo gone, and it was about equal to PG when Rondo was there. Now, if the question is Pierce in his prime then it is a different story.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,573

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Truth is still better because he is battle tested in the playoffs. When a playoff game is on the line, you can still count on Truth to make a play. PG still has to prove that he can be that kind of player. Truth won't be better for too much longer though, because sooner or later he's going to decline. It hasn't happened yet though. I have nothing but respect for Paul Pierce. I knew he was a bad** after this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehUsyxZIjc

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,695

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Good point about Pierce being the vet Sollozzo, but I think right now PG is making more plays to impact the game, but yeah with the the game on the line I'd put the ball in Pierce's hands, but I'd probably take PG for the other 47 minutes at the moment.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,942

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I think Paul Pierce is the most underrated superstar of his era. I'd easily choose him over PG in crunch time until PG proves otherwise.

    All in all I honestly feel they're about equal right now; even though they're literally on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

    Pierce getting by on guile, veteran know how, and pride, whereas George is getting by on talent and athleticism.

    This isn't a knock on Paul, he is obviously able to do more (defense, rebounding, 3pt shooting, etc) than Pierce is at this point. But in basketball, it always seems like the vets manage to get things done year in and year out.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,942

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not quite there yet to Paul pierce in his prime. But he has the chance to surpass that definitely. If any GM in the league had to pick now they would take George every time. And it's not that far of a gap right now either. Paul will be on another level than Pierce when all is said and done.
    Not quite? He's pretty far off imo.

    Paul Pierce is a HOF'er and PG has a long long way to go before you can say "he'll be on another level than Pierce"

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,573

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point about Pierce being the vet Sollozzo, but I think right now PG is making more plays to impact the game, but yeah with the the game on the line I'd put the ball in Pierce's hands, but I'd probably take PG for the other 47 minutes at the moment.
    I agree that PG has been the better overall player this season. But yeah, Truth will kick it up a notch in the playoffs like he always does. Will PG be able to turn it up a notch in the playoffs? I have no doubt that he will eventually be able to, but will it be this season? It will be fascinating to watch.

  17. #10
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I like that they were both the #10 pick.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  19. #11

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    [QUOTE=Sollozzo;1589475]Truth is still better because he is battle tested in the playoffs. When a playoff game is on the line, you can still count on Truth to make a play. PG still has to prove that he can be that kind of player. Truth won't be better for too much longer though, because sooner or later he's going to decline. It hasn't happened yet though. I have nothing but respect for Paul Pierce. I knew he was a bad** after this:=QUOTE]

    I agree at the end of the game I would rather the ball be in Pierce's hands than PGs, but there is more to basketball than being clutch. And right now George is the more complete players I think.

  20. #12
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,583
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I'd say PG is right now.

    Scoring just a bit less, shooting a better percentage, rebounds more, gets more steals, plays better defense.

    Pierce had a really nice run...after Ray Allen and Garnett showed up. And Rondo.

    If he was as good as he thinks, they'd have been able to win without a helping hand from buddy McHale.

  21. #13
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    PG
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  22. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I really dislike these kind of comparisons. "Who is better" really only comes down to one important question as far as I am concerned. And that is, ignoring age and salary, which player would be better in the Indiana Pacers starting lineup at this time? Which player would be better for the PACERS?

    And that is really what I think folks overlook when they start looking at players like Irving when they say I sure wish we had player x rather than George, or that they would be willing to trade a Pacer player for a player from another team.

    Everyone has their favorite players and would like to see them more often, so they would like to see them in a Pacers uniform to help accommodate that. Or, they get wide-eyed over the statistics produced by a player on an opposing team and picture the Pacers with that player producing the same for the Pacers.

    But to answer the question using my own framework, replacing Paul George with Paul Pierce would prove two things. That Paul Pierce is still a good player. And that Paul George is far more important to this team, from this time forward, than Paul Pierce ever could be.

  23. #15
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,796

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I love Paul George, but Pierce is better. George may be better at some things, but Pierce is one of the greats. I meant to post the same in another post that said George at his best is better than Kobe at his best. He's not, not yet. He is growing leaps and bounds, and he is going to be nasty eventually. But Kobe and Pierce are both in HOF discussions, with 'best ever' arguments in Kobe's direction. They've both put championship teams on their backs. Right now, Paul has yet to be our go to guy down the stretch. I believe it's coming, but right now he's not better IMHO. Love me some Paul George though.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Paul George, but Pierce is better. George may be better at some things, but Pierce is one of the greats. I meant to post the same in another post that said George at his best is better than Kobe at his best. He's not, not yet. He is growing leaps and bounds, and he is going to be nasty eventually. But Kobe and Pierce are both in HOF discussions, with 'best ever' arguments in Kobe's direction. They've both put championship teams on their backs. Right now, Paul has yet to be our go to guy down the stretch. I believe it's comikng, but right now he's not better IMHO. Love me some Paul George though.
    You're using past achievements to support calling him better right now. I've definitely not watched enough of PP this year to have an opinion, but his numbers don't look like past PP stats.

  26. #17
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,345

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're using past achievements to support calling him better right now. I've definitely not watched enough of PP this year to have an opinion, but his numbers don't look like past PP stats.
    They look pretty much right on target with everything he's done since the arrival of KG. In fact, I'd say the consistency is pretty amazing.

    07-08: 19.6 pts, 5.1 reb, 4.5 ast, 1.3 stl
    08-09: 20.5 pts, 5.6 reb, 3.6 ast, 1.0 stl
    09-10: 18.3 pts, 4.4 reb, 3.3 ast, 1.2 stl
    10-11: 18.9 pts, 5.4 reb, 3.3 ast, 1.0 stl
    11-12: 19.4 pts, 5.2 reb, 4.5 ast, 1.1 stl
    12-13: 18.5 pts, 6.4 reb, 4.4 ast, 1.3 stl
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    10-11 .620 TS% 12.8 FGA
    11-12 .567 TS% 14.6 FGA
    12-13 .536 TS% 14.8 FGA

    2 more FGA to get .4 less points than 2 seasons ago.

    Granger for comparison has never had a TS% as low as Pierce has this year.

  29. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,695

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    I'm excited to see if Paul feeds off his confidence from the all star game like he did after his big game in Chicago back in December. Could be that last bump he needs to leap over the 20 PPG marker.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,942

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I meant to post the same in another post that said George at his best is better than Kobe at his best. .
    Who the hell said that and was actually serious? Lol this is getting to be too much

  32. #21
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point about Pierce being the vet Sollozzo, but I think right now PG is making more plays to impact the game, but yeah with the the game on the line I'd put the ball in Pierce's hands, but I'd probably take PG for the other 47 minutes at the moment.
    Because after 47 minutes of 3 steals, 3 other TOs created (OOB, charge, lost control of dribble), 7 tough/contested rebounds, 5 assists and the top scorer from the other team shooting 32% you probably aren't going to need that last second shot anyway.


    They've had some late, close games I realize, but the recent ones shouldn't have been and weren't really PG issues. I ignore the stuff to start the year because that was when PG and the team still didn't have their identity post-DG.

  33. #22
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,695

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Paul kinda **** the bed against Brooklyn. If he plays even a halfway decent game there we probably don't lose.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  34. #23
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    And keep in mind that PG JUST GOT HERE. He's only been at the "let's compare him to" level for about 3 months. We saw the defense last year and the general sense of his game. Even year 1 you had Vogel put him on Rose in the playoffs. But for a volume numbers comparison we don't have a full season of "what PG will be" yet.

    To be fair, in that same vein he could end up being a bust...in relation to this topic I mean.

  35. #24
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul kinda **** the bed against Brooklyn. If he plays even a halfway decent game there we probably don't lose.
    Yeah, fair point. I forgot how bad that was and was thinking about how they lost in the end.

    But to my point, as you say if he has his "normal" new PG24 game then they are too far ahead to lose.

  36. #25
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Who's better Paul Pierce or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, fair point. I forgot how bad that was and was thinking about how they lost in the end.

    But to my point, as you say if he has his "normal" new PG24 game then they are too far ahead to lose.
    There's several players that if they had their normal games they would have been too far ahead to lose.

Similar Threads

  1. Article: Paul George Puts Pressure on Paul George
    By Eddie Gill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. paul pierce wants out
    By pacers20 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
  3. Paul Pierce
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
  4. Paul Pierce
    By canyoufeelit in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 01:07 AM
  5. Paul Pierce
    By Outlaw in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •